Anonymous
Years ago

36ers sign Dusty Hannahs

https://www.adelaide36ers.com/news/import-dusty-hannahs-signs-on-for-the-nbl22-season

"Originally from Little Rock, Arkansas, the 27-year-old, 1.93 m (6'4 ft) sharpshooter broke onto the NCAA basketball scene with Texas Tech for his first two seasons before transferring to his hometown Arkansas Razorbacks for his final two years of college. While at Texas Tech he set an all-time school record by shooting 92.3% from the free throw line. He shot at 43.3% from the three-point arc in his junior year at Arkansas and in his final season he led the Southeastern Conference by hitting 90.8% at the free throw line to go with 14.4 points per game.

Dusty’s first professional contract followed in 2017, signing with the Memphis Hustle in the NBA G-League for three-years. In his third season with the Hustle, Dusty averaged 21 points, 2 assists, and 2 rebounds over 37 games which saw him establish a reputation as one of the G-League’s best scorers. Shooting an elite 44.8% from beyond the arc, he received an NBA call-up and 10-day contract with the Memphis Grizzlies, signalling his status as a player genuinely on the edge of the world’s strongest league. Most recently Dusty spent time with the Santa Cruz Warriors, where the Golden State Warriors front office closely monitored his progress."

Pretty handy numbers and shooting splits.

Topic #48973 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron
Dusty / Dech
Import / Mojave
DJ
Humphries / Sotto

Reply #861607 | Report this post

Andre  
Years ago

Sounds like a adult entertainer!

Reply #861608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron /
Dusty / King
Dech /
DJ /
Humphries / Sotto

Reply #861609 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Wonder what their approach will be.

I'd like to see three imports - to the extent they can manage three quality import choices.

They could move DJ to the bench, move Dech to the bench or move both to the bench.

If they want one import off the bench, i'd look at Crocker for continuity to do that bench role that he grew into in the last part of the season.

Given King is a next star, it gives an extra slot for Adelaide. Where do they put that? I would have suggested Pinder off the bench and not use Sotto much, but he is in Cairns now.

C Humphries/Sotto
F Import (Def big)/DJ
F Import (Long wing)/Dech
G Dusty/King
G McCarron/Backup PG

+ One other Aussie - perhaps a big?

Reply #861610 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Won't be giving away many cheeseburgers with those free throw percentages.

Reply #861611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dj off bench, cmon dude

Reply #861612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is not an nbl calibre import. Mark my words 6ers are falling down a long, slippery, dark hole right now.

I hope GK is man of is words. Learns from this coming and last year, keeps pouring his money with the team but grows as a leader of organisations.

This is a great opportunity for you personally GK to show that you can own this situation you created, show resilience, learn and actually build this organisation back in 2023 and beyond.

Reply #861613 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Why not Daniel Johnson off the bench.
It actually sounds better.

Reply #861614 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

What do you base this on? He seems solid to me, an elite shooter is a definite need for the team.
I think he will be a good player. We will need an elite import 3 though. And a defensive minded 4/5 (import or local). Seems a better balance team already.

Reply #861616 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

#613 maybe look at his stats and credentials, and not assume a player is bad due to his aesthetic. Seems our owner/ gm has got us some pretty big name players, I would say Adelaide is the opposite from "falling down a long, slippery, dark hole"

Reply #861617 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

Completely agreed, Shano76. #619 is probably one of hater against this new head office. Like your positive outlook.

Reply #861619 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Love the Anons who come in and trash every move the Sixers make.
Doubt this guy is going to be the lead import, but an elite 3 point shooter is handy on any team.
Last year we had Crocker who shot low to mid 30s in college and not much better overseas from 3pt as our shooter. This year we have a guy who shoots mid 40s.
I mean, he has a similar resume as Ron Howard who sucked, but on paper I like what he could be.

Reply #861620 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I think we find ourselves in this situation again where we can't possibly judge an import until we've seen them play in the league.

There's been so many imports come and go that have been highly credentialed elsewhere and struggled or not expected to be that useful and played surprisingly well.

I know there's always concerns with budget imports who may have come from the state leagues etc, but to me it seems impossible to tell how someone will go.

I don't see how anyone can be critical of Adelaide's off season so far. Haven't they locked up the two biggest Australian names who are internally getable?

Looks like Dusty will provide a good balance with Dech. Not that Dech isn't capable at the offensive end anyway.

Reply #861622 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

For the 2 posts above, I agree and your points are fair. You can never truely judge an import till we see them play. I'm getting the vibes of CG43 type with mccaran, could be wrong. These anon r just people with old grudges against the club.

Reply #861623 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

You can't tell how a G-League will go they could be the next Melo Trimble, Scott Machado, Cam Oliver, Tyler Harvey etc or could end up being a BJ Johnson, Billy Preston type.

But on the face of it by landing McCarron and re-signing Humphries the Sixers have had a great offseason so far.

Reply #861624 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah Master Chief nailed it. Hard to be critical when your team signs two of the best Australian players available. It's wait and see with Dusty, could be Kevin Lisch, could be Scott Christopherson!

What options are there for Aussie backups at PG and PF at this point? Could Daly or Spear do the job at PG?

Reply #861637 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Will Dillon be considered or Teys as 11man.

Reply #861639 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

With only five locals signed so far (King being a Next Star doesn't count) with a maximum of three imports means we still have to sign at least another three locals. We know Mudronja won't be back.

I would expect at least one of Teys or Dillon to be back, even though both chose to play interstate this offseason and perhaps even Purchase to be re-signed.

Reply #861644 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

4 Aussies (DJ, Humphries, Dech, McCarron
3 imports (Dusty+2)
2 'others' (Sotto, King)

That's 9 players. We only really need one more rotation player. I mean, we'll likely go with 11 men, but we don't need 3 more. Unless you're counting DPs.

Reply #861647 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree that you'd struggle to think up much valid criticism of the 36ers off-season so far. Giddey was already going. Not many would be desperate to retain the imports in a hurry. Whether they overpay for talent after that is maybe a business risk, but somewhat separate from a fan's interest in the team. They kept Humphries who was good for the team and usually paired well with DJ. Added a championship point guard, without using an import spot. Hard to judge imports before you see them in the league. Going by the G-League highlights, Hannahs looks crafty at least.

Not many favoured Pinder. McVeigh showed promise but would have to pay/promote to keep him.

Worst case, I assume the plan is:

McCarron
Hannahs
Dech
DJ
Humphries

With two import spots. Solid position to be in. Could get combo guard and PF as remaining imports.

Reply #861649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's looking quite good, need a defensive 4/5 in case Humphries goes down again.

Reply #861653 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Has Cam Bairstow signed anywhere yet? Or was it a multi-year deal with the Hawks? Could hope one of him or Humphries is uninjured at any given time?

I don't know that you'd rely on Sotto as a viable piece. Maybe then need a PF who can play C and a SF who can play PF. King as SF/SG?

Reply #861656 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

"Whether they overpay for talent after that is maybe a business risk, but somewhat separate from a fan's interest in the team."

Great call Issac. This season seem promising

Reply #861657 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cam Bairstow only signed a 1 year deal with the Hawks, I couldn't imagine there would be much of a market if any for him now.

Reply #861659 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

My only Qs with what the Sixers have put together is (especially with JVGs history) fit. They threw some coin at Dech who I rate a good deal, but can you run him and McCarron at the same time? It's a bit of duplication there, I'm guessing Dech plays a reserve role but I'm sure King came to the 36ers expecting minutes, so that limits Dech to a 1/2 backup role with King presumably either starting or playing primary minutes at the backup 3 spot behind an import, but probably looking for 18-20 mins a game at worst. Assuming two more imports, probably only one of them a "splash" with the cash they've paid Humphries and McCarron, so I'd guess import 3 man with DJ starting at the 4 and then maybe a lower key 4 man signing at 3rd import. Don't see the need for another import guard with Dech and King on the roster.

Definitely not a bad offseason at all, but we will have to see what lineup they end up rolling out. If they are healthy they should be in the top 4 hunt at least though.

Reply #861668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron got a lot more strings to his bow than Dech. I don't see a problem there.

Reply #861670 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

What type like comparison imports do you think Adelaide should finish the squad with Isaac?

Reply #861696 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" he has a similar resume as Ron Howard who sucked"

Not-so happy days

Reply #861698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It just looks like we sign anyone and then hope it all works out. No real planning on needs, just duplication in some areas.

Reply #861701 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" just duplication in some areas."

What's the duplication here? 36ers need a shooter, they signed a shooter.

Humphries they need to be a defensive big because DJ can’t defend. Humphries had a huge defensive season last year the games he played.

They needed a good quarter back who can distribute the ball to replace Giddey. McCarron does exactly that.

They need someone who can also help Dech in defence. He does exactly that.

Where’s the duplication?

Reply #861703 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Not sure that's true? Hannahs is clearly a deliberate target based on his shooting which most agree is a team need.

You always get a top level Australian point guard where you can. They needed to replace Giddey.

Besides that it's all pretty much a blank slate isn't it? Most of the players people thought should either move on or not be resigned have done just that. It remains to be seen who they can get to go with what they've already got in place. I think most would agree that an attempt at a top level import would be a good icing on the cake provided the rest of the pieces are decent enough.

Was never going to be easier with expansion team probably pulling away those handy role players.

But Adelaide DEFINETLY need a reliable 4/5 to back up Humphries and DJ.

I don't mind the suggestion of DJ coming off the bench but who's to say DJ himself does also?

Reply #861704 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

KET, sorry i didn't steal your post, but was thinking the same thing and you must have posted while I was typing away.

Reply #861705 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

Once again another anonymous 36ers hater... obviously doesn't understand basketball.

Reply #861707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beantown, it would be good to see a SA local on the roster.

Spear is reliable/consistent and Daly more athletic. Hopefully, both of them will get the chance to work out with the team in the pre season.

Reply #861730 | Report this post

Tricks  
Years ago

Hopefully he's as good as DUSTY RYCHART

Reply #861738 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

They need to sign a Dusty Rychart type. He was solid. We know at some point Humphries is going to get foul trouble and injured. DJ ain't getting any younger. Another solid PF/C is a must to have a third wheel. Was one of the issues last season, Pinder wasn't someone who could be relied on and Hulland was never used even when Humphries was injured so those spots were wasted and turned out to be sub par.
Sixers have had issues with 3pt shooting for a while now, players who were supposed to be able to shoot 3's like Drmic couldn't do it at key moments when wide open. Looks like they are trying to fill that hole with new import Dusty. Hopefully comes to fruition. Sixers fans have long memories and can remember that Scott Chistopherson was hyped as a 3pt shooter when first signed and I think he was lucky to even make a shot.

Reply #861757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark my words. Ive broken this guys game down and this guy will.be marginally better than Chistopherson. He is a fraud. 6ers need to watch some film, understand what good looks like and do the reference checking ffs.

Reply #861760 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Poor old Christopherson will never escape comparison on this forum haha

Has it been failed to mention that Hannahs actually had two stints in the NBA? There was a time when anyone who had played NBA minutes was considered a big signing in this league. For some reason that fact doesn't seem to have been part of his promotion as a signing.

Anonymous above, how did you arrive at that conclusion?

Reply #861764 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

This is the same anonymous who keep saying "mark my words" and then bash the 6ers. Mate I'm sure the coach’s, gm and owner would of watched film before they give away money. Considering your anonymous, your inspiration “mark my words” holds no value as you are probably a nobody.

Reply #861766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#760 you're the fraud

Reply #861767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sheesh lol. Proof will be in the results. Let's keep this conversation going through the course.

Reply #861769 | Report this post

Charon 15  
Years ago

36ers are always great performers in the off-season - not much chop in the regular season in recent years ....

Reply #861776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

767,lets put it in perspective. Do you own analysis. Travis Trice signed to Illawarra vs Hannahs..... go.... haha

Reply #861788 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Comparing Trice and Hannahs head to head is pointless. Have to factor in the costs and where the rest of the money is going in a roster. Just wait until they get some play.

Trice averaged about 15/3/4 in his NBL time across Cairns and Brisbane.

Illawarra are a bit thin outside of imports with Reath and Froling, then the younger pieces and Ogilvy. Have to get more from imports. Adelaide have DJ, Dech, Humphries and McCarron as solid local pieces.

Reply #861792 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

There'll never be another RUSTY PYCHART!

Re: Daly and Spears, I've only managed to see them once this season and they got drilled by Southern. Would like to see a bit more of what they can do, but perhaps one could be a solid role-player at point guard when McCarron needs to rest? They're both mid-20s I believe, so the experience is there. Its just a matter of whether the skill-set is there. Would be good if the Sixers could find a way to at least get one SA born player into the team as a role player.

Reply #861797 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Brad Newley expressed interest in returning but Sixers weren't interested according to reports. Which i think is a shame.

Reply #861800 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Would be good if the Sixers could find a way to at least get one SA born player into the team as a role player.

We just did that with Mudronja, waste of a roster spot IMO.

Reply #861803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beantown there is no interest and the ones the 6ers should have interest in are not interested anyway. Going for subpar imports instead.

This is why the 6ers will have virtually no crowds or corporate interest this season. Tough times ahead, unfortunately.

Reply #861804 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Brad Newley expressed interest in returning but Sixers weren't interested according to reports. Which i think is a shame.

Newley would have to be pushing 40 now and I doubt he would come cheap either. I can't see him playing for minimum wage or thereabouts.

Better to put Newley money towards better locals or imports, players that will actually be able to help us. If you saw Newley at the Kings last season he's almost a liability out there now.

Reply #861805 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Its a tragedy that a guy like Newley never played for the Sixers, but signing him at this point probably wasn't the right move. His experience would be valuable, but I suspect he would want too much money for the role we'd need him to play. Better to spend what we have left on good imports at the 3 and 4, then fill out the end of the roster with low cost players.

Reply #861808 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Tough times ahead, unfortunately."

With Humphries, DJ and McCarron? Really?

Add in Dech as one of the best defenders in the league it's hard to be calling things “tough”

Reply #861809 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Zodiac, the guys I'm talking about are more experienced mid-20s players. Mudronja was too young and was dropped in the deep end way too fast. He really should've stayed a development player last season and perhaps this season too. Disappointing to me. Coach could've done better there. Instead of setting Mud up for failure, he should've been given more time to develop. Instead, we've just thrown him overboard.

Reply #861812 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

No one said he was going to be the best import. Like someone said above, you can never tell how good or bad a import is going to be until we see them, calm down lol

Reply #861819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance that the poor coaching we all know about had a role in it with Mudronja?

NBL1 numbers...

Currently leading scorer of all Aussies in NBL1 with Harris
5th RPG
7th in APG

Would have not cost 6ers much either.

Reply #861820 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Holds the world record for number of three pointers in a minute,
but, nobody from Guinness world records was there to see it...
on seven tv news, last night...

Reply #861840 | Report this post

Looking forward  
Years ago

Good point Beantown, the NBL is a tough comp where a lot of younger players would struggle early on.

They can be a very different prospect once they get into their mid twenties and are physically stronger and more mature.

Reply #861849 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

A lineup of
Mccarron/Dufelmeir (only rumour)
Hannah's/Dech
Import (discussions of nba 2 way/??
DJ/import 4/5
Humphries/Soto

Doesn’t look too bad to me. Obviously, coaching will be a factor. But it would be a far better balanced lineup than that crap we rolled with this season.

Reply #861884 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Oh I forgot Mojave King, who would be the back up 3??
Not a bad lineup. On paper.

Reply #861885 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

He will have some absolute scorching games where he sizzles from deep but also some quite ones. We dont need him to be a top 10 scorer we just need him to bring that quick-trigger 3 he has. I expect him to sit around the 14 points a game mark but I can say with confidence he will be top 3 in 3pts made and 3pt field goal percentage come the end of the year.

Reply #862199 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:11 pm, Thu 9 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754