JT
Years ago

Nick Kay Confession Booth

In this thread, this is a safe space where you are allowed to confess your sins against Nick Kay, and receive forgiveness from the basketball gods.

I will be the first to put my hand up and admit that I doubted his selection for the 2019 World Cup. I suppose it was part NBL-parochialism, his (perceived) unfashionable style of play, and being seduced by the NBA pedigree of others competing for his position. His campaign there was very good, and he cemented himself as a quality international basketball player.

Having once been a Nick Kay doubter, it was frustrating to see others to fall into the same traps when selection rolled around this tournament. Not athletic enough, doesn't play in the NBA, it had all been said two years earlier. But this is FIBA basketball, and Kay's specific brand of toughness and intelligence is perfect for that game. He is a fantastic player, and he could justifiably send a pretty stern message to those that have thrown doubt and hate his way over the last couple of years... but I'm sure he'll be enjoying that bronze medal that he had an instrumental part in earning too much.

Repent!

Topic #49085 | Report this topic

I confess. I will shoot 100 Hail Mary's as penance.

Long live Nick Kay dominating at camp.

Reply #866543 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Just because Nick is not like others who are loud mouths and show ponies does not mean he does not give his best.

He just goes about his business and is a very quiet and unassuming person who just goes out and does the job asked of him by his coaches.

A typical born and bred NSW Country boy from Tamworth.

Well done Nick,congrats on your efforts and winning the bronze.

Reply #866549 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think everyone raised their eyebrows when he first selected but he's a seasoned campaigner now and I think these kinds of performances can now be expected from him. He was solid at the world cup and has only got better. Only absolute morons - absolute Clint Doggs - would have any vague issue if Kay made his way onto another top flight Boomers team. The guy is an absolute workhorse that is just solid in every area of basketball - high IQ, great rebounder, an improving jump shot, clever defender, a guy that gets the most out of his abilities. While he might be seen as a physical long shot for the NBA him getting some looks would not surprise me much.

Reply #866566 | Report this post

Yup  
Years ago

Greatest 4 man in Australian basketball history

Reply #866571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the best Wildcats of all time

Reply #866573 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Great effort Kay.

Reply #866580 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

At one point I wanted him banished from the team for good after he shot so poorly resulting in a 100-1 Japan beating us in Asian qualifiers.

Reply #866582 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I wouldn't go as far saying he's our greatest 4 man ever. Arguably Andrew Vlahov assumes that mantle for mine. But what Kay does doesn't always show up on the stats. He's a team first player and does everything thats required of him. He often has to play undersized at the five but he's clever enough on D and rebounding to hold his own. And he's developed a pretty consistent three point shot. He's been integral to the Boomers success.

Reply #866588 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"At one point I wanted him banished from the team for good after he shot so poorly resulting in a 100-1 Japan beating us in Asian qualifiers."

I recall only one bad game for Kay while playing with the Boomers B-team. That must've been it. Kay was the surprise for me on that B-team. Knowing the Lemanis system so well, I felt his inclusion in 2019 made sense, but I didn't think he would be as effective as he has been, the starting 4-man on a bronze medal winning team.

Reply #866606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol great reference about Clint dogg. Talentless hack

Reply #866607 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Kay has somehow managed to keep improving, year after year.
Really hope they choose to stay in Perth for 22-23 and onwards

Reply #866662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope he plays in the highest level league possible i.e. not in Perth

Reply #866665 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Great thread!

I can't recall my exact feeling in 2019.

But I was happy enough he was selected this time and thought any criticism a little unjustified and ridiculous given his 2019 efforts.

He did again pleasantly surprise me though with exactly how good he was, yet again. I may have slightly underestimated him and toned down my expectations accordingly. So I suppose a small amount of repentance is in order!

Reply #866673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still not as good as Bolden and it is a fact.

Reply #866674 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

^quit the trolling for at least 48 hours after the historic Bronze. Cmon! Show some Respect!

Reply #866675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #866678 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

I remember in 2019 seeing Kay walk out amongst Bolden, Landale and Bogut and thinking "he is way too small and unathletic for international basketball, how could he hold off Euro bigs"

I was very wrong

Reply #866739 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

At least Kay stays around when things get tough and does not walk out because his ego is dinted unlike Bolden.

Reply #866757 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Have to admit, I hadn't ever really watched him closely before. After these Olympics though, he was an absolute favourite of mine.
Just does the smart thing over and over again. Loved his game. Now a huge fan

Reply #866760 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

Nick Kay is Australia's "Big Fundamental" He's just solid at both ends of the floor. He defended the PnR well and switched onto Luca. He finds the space and cuts to the spots on O. He just does the fundamentals really well.
He was a massive part of this historic bronze medal.

Reply #866764 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

After the USA game I thought he won't be athletic enough to make it to the NBA. But he is smart, skilled and diligent enough to make me wonder 'What If?'

Find the right system, anything is possible.

Loved him at the Wildcats, wish him nothing but success at the highest level.

Reply #866784 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I've confessed many times over. He has well and truly proved himself and should be considered one of the team core until further notice.

Though to be clear for me it was more about Motum being on the outer than Kay being in.

I still believe Motum should have been in both teams but I was wrong to suggest it should be at the expense of Kay.

Reply #866803 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Kay led the Tokyo team in rebounds, O-boards, (equal highest in) blocks and ass/TO ratio and lowest TO/min.

Reply #866818 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kay was great. There's no question he did struggle to make much of an impact against the USA size, but hey, so did just about everyone else once the tide turned at the end of that 2nd Q, Patty included.

If he can known down those open 3s at a better clip and out to NBA range, who knows.

I was pleasantly surprised by Landale too, perimeter D aside. I knew Landale could play obviously, but based on last tourney I thought he might struggle a bit against top level bigs, but instead he really thrived and was great in the open court, tried to finish strong, and by the time he got it going his hookshot was reliable and gave us a down-low option offensively when our 3s weren't dropping.

Reply #866821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^ exactly Angus.

Reply #866827 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Nick Kay and Jock Landale can be Boomers as long as they want as far as I am concerned.

Reply #866829 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I remember watching Nick Kay absolutely dominating during the commonwealth games despite not having plays ran for him and at the time I dismissed it thinking that the Commonwealth games suck and Canada and New Zealand are our only competition but I still wondered why that couldn't translate into bigger and better things for him as he's a work horse and every team needs that.

So he went back and played NBL, I think it was for Illawarra in his second season and he kept showing that he could fill the stat sheet and do so many intangibles that helped his team and improved his outside shot and became even smarter and more well rounded and his leadership qualities really shone through when he joined Perth and he is just so dependable and he is also pretty clutch.

I don't care about his deficiencies as if he is costing Australia throughout a game then that is when Drej or Goorj some sub him out for someone else but personally, I love the big fella and what he brings to a team including that winners mentality that comes from being at the Wildcats (not passing dispersions but there are reasons that players from awful teams don't become head coaches).
My only question that I really have to say about Nick Kay is, have we seen the best of him yet or has he still got some ways to improve his game?

Reply #866836 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"My only question that I really have to say about Nick Kay is, have we seen the best of him yet or has he still got some ways to improve his game?"

He's probably around his peak but he did show signs of being able to create his own shot at the Olympics which maybe could be further explored. Kay is just a consistenly nice piece to put among stars that will do all the one percenters really, really well and for that, you can hide any deficiencies in athleticism he might have if your center is someone like Thon Maker, Mangok Mathiang, even Baynes, suddenly Kay being a little flat footed matters a bit less. But yeah, Nick Kay is going to be a staple of this team for years to come and I, for one, totally support it.

Reply #866849 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think of PJ Tucker when I think of Nick Kay, sure Tucker is older by 6 years and is shorter too but he was the starting centre of a Houston Rockets team that was pretty impressive for a while and their outside shots aren't too dissimilar but Tucker was trusted and Kay comes across as someone that once you show your trust in him, he won't let you down.

I'm not saying that Kay should be the starting centre on the NBA team with the best regular season record but with opportunity he should be given opportunities and have an outstanding NBA career and make more money than he ever dreamt of... but they'd want to come get him soon before it's too late for him

Reply #866889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allow me to say this as an initial Kay hater lol.

The Kay criticism from what I recall initially was for at the time reasonable. If we take our minds back to 2019 we as fans heard all the talk about how he dominated camp and then come exhibition games he didn't look impressive at all and even some of the early wc games.

It may be hard to believe but at the time most people were really high on Bolden. The bloke came off a year in the nba, playing actual minutes for a good playoff team, however ever since it’s become clear that essentially Brett Brown was doing him a favour as he was in his 'get as many aussies as possible’ mode, which later saw Thybulle and Broekhoff join the team at later points.

Also, considering Kay’s not impressive performances early on and Lemanis sticking Bolden on the end of the bench it was natural to think Lemanis was doing his classic try and feature as many nbl players as possible like he did in 2014 and 2016 and then try and say something about ‘roles’ and ‘not an all star team’ to justify it. There was also some outrage in that Lemanis apparently told Bolden before any of the games that basically he was the fifth big and maybe 6th with cooks expecting to play some 4 too (Bogut in fact has confirmed this I believe on his podcast.) So coming out of that there was frustration from both his camp and fans that you have a guy (who at the time) we all thought was very talented just be wasted and relegated to a spot for the rest of the campaign without even seeing any court time.

With Bolden pulling out he copped all sort of crap some of which was deserved in that you made a commitment you don’t just pull out the first time things look ugly. However, on the other hand there’s a reasonable response from him in that he was going into a contract year and sitting on the end of a bench for a month wasn’t going to help that, and also if what Lemanis said to him was indeed true then that’s a pretty dumb thing to do as essentially we wasted a spot on a guy who expected to play but Lemanis had no intention of actually doing so. Instead why not go with Creek (which it took till an injury to cooks to actually do) or even Green just as a get a young guy in to get accustomed to the boomers culture for future campaigns. As you’d rather that be your 12th man then a guy moping on the bench thinking he should be starting.

This anti Bolden people (basically all the nbl die hards on here) then weirdly turned that into being so pro Kay that early on it was baffling as while he wasn’t bad by any means, there was nothing he was doing that made you think we need to be giving this guy minutes, which combined with the Bolden situation made a bit of a shit show in that (again we all thought this bloke was good at the time) we basically pissed off a guy who should be starting for us in favour of a not so good bench player.

In saying all this however, the deeper the wc got the more Kay proved himself to the point of starting in the bronze medal game. Ultimately Kay proved that he earned his spot however it wasn’t unreasonable to think (again at the time) if we just gave Bolden those opportunities would he be doing better in that spot. Nonetheless, Kay proved that he could play at that level.

Fast forward to both 2020 and 2021, both years saw us have different coaches expected and considering Weaver and Brown being so influenced of the nba style, most people thought that despite his talent Kay wouldn’t be in the team simply due to the expected fast pace style expected that would’ve favoured Simmons, Bolden and Maker at the 4 spots and even creek if we went small. Then Goorj was expected to be similar with his noted love of defence and athleticism (which personally I think this is a tad overplayed as the bloke started froling and aj together for majority of the season, and proceeded to bring Thybulle off the bench besides the bronze game and not play green and reath), Which further lead to again that with more talent expected to come in and throw in what we thought goorj would think of Kay, it wasn’t unreasonable to think he wouldn’t make the team.

Once again, he proved all the doubters wrong with even playing the 5 for big chunks during the olympics and proved his worth and then some. Well done to Nick Kay you legend and in future that 4 spot needs to be taken from you, not just simply Simmons walks in and gets it, all because time and time again you proved what you could do on the big stage despite initial criticism some had.

Reply #866899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too slow and unathletic, bad defender, average shooter. Reath and Bolden are way better players.

Reply #867035 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Are you talking about yourself?

In other news, how good is Kay!

Reply #867041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Deck can get an NBA deal I don't see why Kay couldn't be signed up.

Reply #867044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He moves slowly like an old man, aka Joe Ingles.

Reply #867051 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

Moves slowly like an old man and is still tremendously effective is what you meant to say, I'm sure.

Reply #867085 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

You never know, Nick Kay might be on a trajectory like Ingles and Baynes

Physically I'm not sure he has the same tools they do, but it's interesting how some Boomers players continue developing throughout their careers and end up better players than initially anyone imagined.

Having said that, signing in Japan wasn't the best thing for his long term development if he wants any shot at NBA, or becoming a top Euroleague player.

Reply #867094 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And the players who go on that long term trajectory are often guys with good heads on their shoulders, guys who put in the extra work. Guys with the humility to just keep learning and keep trying, never thinking they've made it and remaining humble.

Kay has that about him. In fact, you could even say those traits were essential to that Boomers ethos or "Boomers culture". The lack of ego, the buying into the team, the doing what it takes to help the team succeed are all things that help individuals become better and find a role where they become indispensable at a higher level in this team sport. Like Ingles and Baynes managed to do in the NBA and like Kay has for the Boomers.

Reply #867095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay has been fantastic but the game against the USA shows he's fiba game material not nba.

Reply #867114 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I didn't mean necessarily NBA, I just meant players who keep improving and get better than anyone thought

Ingles and Baynes did that and I think Kay would do same if he ended up playing major minutes in Euroleague. Possible but Japan not the best place to facilitate the continued improvement required

Reply #867119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kay has been fantastic but the game against the USA shows he's fiba game material not nba."

You could say that about a number of NBA players who play against Team USA though.

Reply #867120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be honest, very Lucky to be in the boomers Olympics 12. There are many players better than him, Thon Maker, Bolden, Reath, Humphrey, Acuil, just to name a few.

Reply #867148 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754