Stevy
Years ago

FIBA World Cup 2023 Qualifiers Draw

The draw for the FIBA World Cup 2023 Qualifiers will take place on Tuesday 31 August at 12:00 CET.

All four draws (Africa, Americas, Asia and Europe) will be broadcast live on the FIBA YouTube channel.

The Qualifiers will take place from November 2021 to February 2023 with 80 national teams competing for a spot in the World Cup. The first window of qualification will be played from November 22 - 30, 2021.

1st Window: November 22 - 30, 2021
2nd Window: February 21 - March 1, 2022
3rd Window: June 27 - July 5, 2022
4th Window: August 22 - 30, 2022
5th Window: November 7 - 15, 2022
6th Window: February 20 - 28, 2023

Also, what kind of team do you guys living in Australia/New Zealand think will be sent for the November window? I know that by then the NBL season should be ongoing, so I don't think NBL players will be there. I am asking because if you remember my brief and comprehensive review of the Olympics, I am going to make a review of the 1st window for the Asian region only. My review should be available by first week of November. Of course, I can't cover every team. 80 teams is too much. I am gonna cover Asia since I am from there. Thanks a lot.

Topic #49130 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I may be wrong but dont the top 4 teams from the Olympics qualify automatically?

Reply #868262 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No.

Reply #868263 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@ME

The only teams that have qualified so far are the Philippines and Japan because they are the hosts. Indonesia can also qualify on the condition that they reach the quarterfinals of the Asia Cup next year. If they don't, they must qualify through the qualifiers, which is a lot harder. All countries that are not the host must qualify through the 2023 qualifiers.

FIBA World cup 2023 allocated berths:

Africa: 5
Americas: 7
Asia/Oceania: 8 (if Indonesia qualifies, there will be 5 berths up for grabs)
Europe 12

Total: 32 spots

Reply #868265 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Would think it will be NBL guys for November window.

Reply #868267 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@Perth Fan

Okay, is the season not continuing as scheduled because of the pandemic? First window starts in the 3rd week of November. I think a team must at least have 3 weeks in the bare minimum of practices. If NBL season will be delayed, I guess they can put out a NBL roster.

Reply #868268 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am a bit wary of qualifying through Asia. Sure, it's by far the weakest region but I don't think we can sleep on gains being made by Japan or New Zealand if we're sending out slapped-together NBL teams to do the job for us. If Asia includes Iran that's another team that may topple an NBL based Boomers side if we aren't on our game for whatrever reason, baring in mind their Olympic side is likely what we'd be facing in qualification. I think it's important that we have a cohesive and experienced second tier Boomers squad in action very quickly to guard against any unsightly accidents.

I think if it's World Cup qualifiers the season will have to be put on hold. We wont be able to send a SEABL team and qualify. World Cup qualification has direct implications on the 2024 Olympics and qualifying for them as well so these games are far too important to just send out kids to and hope for the best.

Reply #868271 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Sorry, have to amend that, if eight sides go through from Asia then we could send out a social C grade team frankly.

Reply #868272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have to make top 5 in asia as the other 3 spots might be the hosts.

Reply #868273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 5 seems easy but really depends on the draw.

Reply #868274 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Should just really push the NBL season back to December.

Reply #868288 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

Based on what I know guys, east Asia teams are separate from west Asia. With that consideration the Pots will be like this for East Asia. Again, I can be wrong about this, anyone with more knowledge please comment.

POT 1 are Australia and New Zealand
POT 2 are China and Korea
POT 3 are Japan and Philippines
POT 4 are Indonesia and the winner between Guam and Taipei

6 of 8 teams in this region are top 8 ranked in FIBA Asia. So basically we have the toughest region. Now don't expect full strength teams because of the professional leagues but for the Philippines at least, we will be sending the same OQT team minus Kai Sotto.

Reply #868290 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

*Toughest Asian group/pot I mean, I don't mean that we have the toughest region in the world.

Reply #868292 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I'd say we'll be fine provided we suit NBL players and not NBL1

Reply #868319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be interesting where they play first up and who. With NBL announcing a November 18 start and FIBA announcing a November 22 - 30 first window I can't see the NBL having an 8 days pause immediately after they start.

Reply #868323 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@ME, @323

Maybe Australia will send a Team C with 3-5 NBL players? I can't really see them sending a full NBL squad due to the conflict with the NBL. Other professional leagues in East Region like the B League, KBL, CBA and etc will be busy at that point.

Reply #868329 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

Not sure how Australia will even send a team in the first 2 windows in Nov and Feb? NBL guys are likely out due to travel and quarantine restrictions (on top of NBL scheduling conflict), NBA guys are out. Hopefully a few guys in Europe show interest and are released by their clubs! (No Euroleague guys though as they don't follow the FIBA international windows?)

Reply #868366 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@JB

The Euroleague will also start on October 1. It seems like every league in the world by then will be busy. In Asian leagues at least like CBA etc, it is a sure conflict.

Reply #868368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't that many in Europe this season.

Reply #868384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope to see Cotton in a Boomers jersey if our racist govt ever decide he can have citizenship.

Reply #868426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#426 poor attempt at trolling

Reply #868431 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:43 pm, Tue 14 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754