RobT
Years ago

New TV Deal?

I see lots re the new TV deal with ESPN, Kayo and 10.

Will NBLTV still be available, as it has been?

Will NBLTV continue with NBL1 streaming? If not, will the group above? Will anyone?

Topic #49307 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL1 will have a game of the week on kayo

Reply #873471 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Thanks, Anon. So, to watch all/lots of games, it's a Kayo subscription, right?

Reply #873506 | Report this post

Adam_L-M  
Years ago

This has also been something I was keen to know because I live overseas and NBL TV and twitch have been great to allow me to watch whichever games whenever.

However just got this email from NBL TV:

Hello!
This is to inform you that your subscription with NBL TV has ended.
Your recurring payment has stopped because NBL TV no longer offers this specific subscription.
Check out their website on NBL TV in order to understand how to get access to their premium content.
On behalf of NBL TV,
Thank you

What a joke. I've held on to the subscription through these announcements hoping that it would continue even after i started watching more and more through twitch last season as it was just easier. They even took a payment a few days ago.

No transparency on this issue since the tv deal announcement has been pretty poor form to say the least. What will those of us overseas use to watch the NBL? And by watch, i mean pick and choose what games we watch and when. The subscription based services are relatively expensive and its not clear how well these would even work through a VPN as they are only technically on offer within Australia. No guarantees on which games will be shown via the free services.

Reply #873771 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" No transparency on this issue since the tv deal"

I mean ESPN/Kayo/Foxtel paid like $45mil, did you think NBL TV was going to continue and compete for subscribers?

“ The subscription based services are relatively expensive”
That's how they afford to give the NBL some money.

“ No guarantees on which games will be shown via the free services.”

Sunday 1pm and 3pm AEDT regular season games on Ten Play and 10Peach.

The fixture is out, to the extent it’s unaffected by Covid, that gives you all the games that will be for free.

Reply #873775 | Report this post

Adam_L-M  
Years ago

Thanks for your input KET, but im talking specifically about overseas viewers here (7 hours behind here). The new TV deal is great for the NBL no doubt and yeah I agree, its hard to compete given the context of the deal and the new premium services.

However, I wish to mainly watch Bullets games and NBL TV was great for watching whichever games, whenever. I just dont have the free time to watch whatever content will come to free to air etc. I want to watch my team when I can, though I know thats me, however small my niche is.

Yes, no transparency. NBL TV should have been discontintued after the TV deal was announced not dragged along for a few months and new features teased - and money taken. Probably naive to think it would continue but there is a market for overseas viewers which seems to fall outside the newly available options. So my my only option is to hope that the free content covers to some extent the content I want to watch, rather than pay a fair amount to get the exact content I want to see.

Reply #873781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I mean ESPN/Kayo/Foxtel paid like $45mil, did you think NBL TV was going to continue and compete for subscribers?"

KET - None of the TV deal announcements I've seen mentioned discontinuing the NBL TV service. The NBL website (still) promotes NBL TV subscriptions as a way watch games live. Taken together, I think it's more than fair for people to think the service might continue.

Reply #873783 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I assume this means there's no more Classic Games archive on NBL TV either, then? Haven't checked it in a while but that used to be included in the subscription.

Reply #873784 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" but im talking specifically about overseas viewers here (7 hours behind here)."

Understandable - you (international subscriber) might become an unfortunate loser in the scenario of this tv deal. Worth flicking the NBL an email to see what the situation is. Hopefully they do find a way to make it broadly available.

They have said they are still working on overseas broadcast agreements which may affect things too.

“ Taken together, I think it's more than fair for people to think the service might continue.”

I think the NBL has always purposefully vague about NBL TV in order to get people to use other streaming - this time I agree they should have been clear about it. From an Australian perspective I think if you're aware of the tv deal it’s probably a safe assumption though.

From an international perspective it’s always very vague by the NBL unfortunately - they never really list the TV stations the NBL can be watched on (there have been some historically for a few countries) and something definitely worth asking the NBL and checking in on. I’d be livid if I was overseas and not able to watch!

Reply #873790 | Report this post

Adam_L-M  
Years ago

Yes KET, that's it mate. There has been no other way to watch the NBL right now where I am other than via NBL TV or twitch, which are both now of course unavailable. Probably had it too good almost. I had also occasionally watched via SBS on demand via VPN. I imagine I will be able to do the same with Tens online services, but it's not even clear whether the Kayo free service will function via a VPN (or stream quickly enough) so its a bit of a hit having full coverage to what is on offer at this point. I sent them an email in response so let see what they say. Hopefully the overseas options are announced soon, but I'm not holding out too much hope. NBL is the one sport from home that I have been able to keep in touch with since I moved overseas. Fingers crossed.

Reply #873794 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

All the best. It's never easy watching sports when you move overseas. Not clear to international viewers but your best choice is watching the games on 10play.

SBS On Demand was the best opinion last season because every game was free to watch.

I never really understood how NBL TV works. It played up on me when I use to use it. NBL still have Classic games which are free without charge.

Surprisingly you can’t find the classic games on the NBL TV website. You’ll need to search Classic NBL games on google search to find the missing link. It’s /classicgames if I’m right? Not sure why NBL are trying to hide the games.

NBL haven’t put any extra classic games. I’ve nearly watched all the games from the eras I enjoyed watching. They need to show more games of the Slingers, Pirates and Falcons. There isn’t any games of Gold Coast Blaze which is a massive joke. Be great to see Goulding in his prime..

Reply #874169 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

It's really coming out now how much money the AFL makes out of gambling.

While I don't think the NBL would be making much, I'm sure that ESPN - which is paying to cover the NBL - will be, judging by the high number of ads ESPN is subjecting us to during basketball coverage.

[At least ESPN seems to reduce the number of fighting and boxing ads during NBL coverage, thankfully.]

So I'll just suck it up for now, so long as we get good coverage of the game. Longer term, I hope the NBL gets into a position where it can pressure its sponsors into taking a more ethical and family-friendly position.

Reply #886942 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

NBL makes plenty from gambling.

Reply #886944 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Got any figures?

Reply #886947 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

@Adam_L-M

It might be a mild inconvenience, but for now, if you don't have any other option, what you can do is just watch the NBL games live on their YT channel via VPN (there are free VPN services like VeePN or paid VPN services). All of the games are shown there.

Reply #886948 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

And people wonder why broadcasters won't pay money for the rights.

Reply #886950 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

@koberulz

Don't get me wrong, I do my fair share of supporting the NBL by paying for 2 additional channels (ESPN AU & TapSports) just to see Adelaide games. This is for people with literally no options.

Reply #886953 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Yeah can't blame someone if they live in a different country and can’t even pay for access.

Reply #886954 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

A true fan would move to Sydney and not need to deal with such issues
#hoopscapital

Reply #886956 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

That's gold (and purple)

Reply #886960 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:14 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754