Anonymous
Years ago

NBA under new rules

I know a good portion of folks here are super anti-nba (some for good reasons and some that aren't), but I’m curious as to what everyone thinks of the short season thus far under its new officiating.

I saw a thing somewhere that said it’s the lowest free throws attempted by both teams either ever or at least for a while, and some other interesting stats about players scoring with these new rules compared to previous seasons.

I personally like it as I think it allows the games to be more physical and gets rid of the bullshit foul bating stuff and this really illustrates the guys who draw fouls rather then manufacture ways to get fouled (e.g. Jimmy Butler versus James Harden)

Topic #49378 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's 100% better

Reply #875541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't gone far enough. They need to make more changes.

Reply #875543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many players getting exposed so far. It is definitely more watchable but far too many garbage teams where games are over by half time.

Reply #875554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely has affected players used to getting fouls for being breathed on. Have been a few times where it probably should have had a foul called, but at least most non fouls aren't being called.
Problem will come though. Remember the slug fests around 20 years ago and we were having full time scores like 68-59. League changed it to promote scoring to stop fans turning off. Hopefully sanity prevails and scoring stays consistent without it being a foul shooting contest like it has been lately.
Nets are probably most affected with Harden and without Kyrie.

Reply #875560 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

I especially like that defenders are rewarded (not punished) for playing GOOD D.

It is said that as a spectator experience, it's the offence that matters. IMO, good D is worth watching and, The O has to be even better, to still come out on top.

Next thing I would like to see is the "professional/intentional/un-sportsman-like" fouls punished more severely. Even if only in the 4th q, when they are most used/useful. I don't want to see players drawn and quartered, but at least let the punishment make the foul not worth committing.
Something like; Offending player get 2 fouls, 1st foul is for the personal foul committed, 2nd is a technical for un-sportsman-like play. If that is the offending player's 5th and 6th fouls, he's out of the game. Player who gets fouled is awarded 2free-throws if team in bonus, + 1 more for the tech, and possession. That may seem harsh but if it stopped these "professional/intentional/un-sportsman-like" fouls that it would be worth it.

Would mean that Ben could play in the 4th, in a tight game! Even he wouldn't be worth fouling.

Reply #875561 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

FIBA figured out how to stop those fouls years ago, all the NBA has to do is implement the same rule.

Reply #875562 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Years ago

What did fiba do koberulz?

Reply #875570 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

FIBA improved things, but you still get the professional fouls during the game.

We also need to be careful that the refs don't determine the outcome too much

Reply #875571 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Koberulz, well aware of that but this is; "re: NBA under new rules". Let me put it this way, "Call it in the NBA as they do in FIBA" (still punish hard, though). That better?

Reply #875574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon#560, I get you're overall point in wanting to avoid decreasing viewership and I think it’s a fair point about how brutal some of those games were, it’s also very crucial to point out that it didn’t matter the style of the game, the nba losing Jordan was going to take a dive regardless.

RobT, while I agree that fans can appreciate a PJ Tucker fighting through a screen to put up a great contest at Kevin Durant’s unstoppable jumpshot, at the end of the day I think in this era, it will be the offence that sells. Also I think the one thing Fiba does wrong in comparison to the NBA is how they handle the whole unsportsmanlike foul as it’s extremely irritating from my pov that the slightest thing can happen and it’s treated like you had the upmost malicious intent, when in reality you accidentally grabbed a guy’s jersey when diving for the ball.

I recall in particular Metu getting punished when playing the boomers for what seemed like nothing when the rest of the game was very physical and that was fine but what Metu did was treated like blasphemy.

Reply #875576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scenario: Your team is down 2 points with 20 seconds to go, what do you do?
A)Give up
B)Go for steal but if you don't, commit what is called for a foul like hand checking
C)As above but pretend you didn't mean to foul even though everyone knows you are.

Reply #875584 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I like the NBA changes but also agree they don't go far enough. Also haven't seen much of an adjustment to perimeter defense, but I expect coaches will experiment more and more with what they can get away.

I still found myself watching more replays of Euroleague than I do NBA, but at this point I've already seen more full games of NBA basketball than I did the past couple of seasons.

Reply #875607 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Agreed that the changes have been good but still seen a few of those calls get through.

And also agreed the NBA need to do something about the "professional" foul. I don't think it needs to go all the way to the fiba rule as I think that is painful in late game situations. But definitely should be closer to the fiba rule than it currently is. You should never be allowed to "wrap a guy up"

Reply #875686 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Cram, I agree with your statement, "You should never be allowed to wrap a guy up", which is why, in this case, I don't want heavy penalties imposed from now on. I want to see it out of the game! Heavy penalties will = not worth committing, I hope. These USFs are no doubt, a good tactic but not entertaining, in the least. Fabulous defence can be a similar problem, if it prevents high scores constantly. Luckily, not too much danger of that in the NBA(lol).

Reply #875737 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Haha.

I completely agree that those fouls should absolutely be usf/flagrant. Where I don't like the fiba rule is fouling at the end of the game to stop the clock and 50/50 fastbreak fouls. I mean the ones where two guys are going for the ball bit one guy gets there quicker and because he's in the back court it's a usf. I don't think the fiba rule is miles away but I wouldn't want it exactly as is. Though that WOULD still be better than the status quo.

Reply #875745 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Fouling at the end of the game is fine as long as you make at least some sort of defensive effort. Which means it's still possible to foul, but it's also not an absolute guarantee of constant free-throws; there's still some element of execution required in the leading team's offensive possessions.

Reply #875746 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754