Lovebroker
Years ago

Adelaide @ Perth - Friday 03/12/2021

This game is now doubtful given WA just made SA arrivals do 14 day quarantine.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia/western-australia-will-force-south-australian-arrivals-to-quarantine-for-14-days/news-story/3428cc4ee808fca99f18854c4a315ca7

What magic can the NBL conjure up this time to keep the fixture rolling?

Topic #49480 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

You act like this sort of thing is unprecedented.

Reply #877513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are flying from Tasmania. No issue with this game

Reply #877518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They are flying from Tasmania. No issue with this game"

Are you sure about that

Reply #877524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#524 yes

Reply #877526 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

If they are flying direct from Tassie then it should be ok:
https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/covid-communications/covid-19-coronavirus-controlled-border
( as of Sunday 10am AEDT)

Reply #877527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could probably add Adelaide vs Illawarra on Sunday to the list of games in doubt, the Illawarra players without Covid don't get out of isolation until Saturday.

Reply #877540 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

the illawarra covid cases were false positives....pretty sure i read that somewhere...

Reply #877593 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yup false positives

Reply #877594 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

WA is dragging the chain, people will be having booster shots by the time they open the borders.

SA opened up last week, way to go.

Reply #877598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both games going ahead

Reply #877601 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

SA never really opened up... only 8 LGAs out of over 200 from nsw/vic could enter SA without requiring a covid test... hardly opening up...

we need to all move on and learn to live with it... like NSW/VIC have...

it is a constantly evolving pandemic and we need to adapt accordingly...

wait until 90% double vaxxed then move on....

but i digress...

(Strange how here in vic we have more freedoms than SA....)

Reply #877603 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me if there is a free to air coverage of this game or an affordable stream like NBL TV or are we returning to the days where I can be a gold member to go to home games but can't watch the away games without needing a second mortgage. Cheers all.

Reply #877910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just get Kayo you tight ass

Reply #877912 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

kayo is resonably affordable

NBL youtube channel is also a thing

Reply #877913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I spoke to JVG at the Blitz and he told me that they were leaving the Blitz and going to Perth to wait for the seasons start. So no biggie.

Reply #877914 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

AyJay I am pretty sure that Kayo you can get 3 months for half price? dont quote me on it though just something I heard someonemention. Also best way to go about it is sign up and get a friend to share the account if the $25 is too steep monthly. That way you are just paying $12.50 a month and can cancel the account as soon as the season is over.

If you keep Kayo for 12 months its just $5.80 a week, or 1 take away coffee a week, putting it in perspective not that much. Hope this can sway you to buy Kayo and enjoy all the sports on offer... its more than just NBL you get NBA, F1, AFL etc.

Reply #877920 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You can get Kayo for $2.50/month for the first two months.

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/49485-kayo-sports-cyber-monday-promotion/

Reply #877921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Strange how here in vic we have more freedoms than sa..."

That's fantastic, how many months did you spend in lockdown genius?

Reply #877922 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"If you keep Kayo for 12 months its just $5.80 a week, or 1 take away coffee a week, putting it in perspective not that much."

That kind of reasoning leads people into debt traps - nothing more irritating than hearing that breakdown when buying something.

Question really is can the person afford $300 a year or ~$150 half the year/season cost in addition to whatever other costs they have.

Reply #877924 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

KET, pretty sure if they can afford gold season membership to watch the Cats play then $12.50 a month or $25 a month isnt going to cripple them.

Further to my point, Kayo has no lock-in contract, so if you are struggling to make payments you cancel... if they are going to be facing debt traps then the decision on signing up to a cancel anytime sports streaming service isnt really the problem is it?

Reply #877926 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

For the audience we are addressing, on this subscription issue, comparing it to cups of coffee is irrelevant. eg., I buy around 6 or 7 coffees a year.

When Foxtel was the only way of seeing games regularly, I had Foxtel just to get it. Think I paid $75 or $85 pm. In them thar days, I would go to many bullets games.

Attending 1(live) game per month cost me more than my monthly sub, and I could watch every game, everywhere, in the comfort of home.

If Kayo is too expensive for you, halve the price by going with a mate (yes, legitimate option).

Reply #877927 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

ANON #877922

I'm regional Vic so not many....

point still stands that here in Vic that still have consistently over 1000 cases a day and we currently as of right now have more freedoms than SA

simple fact

stop living in the past

most states have moved on and it was simple an observation

*shrugs*

Reply #877928 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

Thanks all. I'm not a tightass btw. Just a pensioner with no super and still with a mortgage for the usual reason. Not complaining about pension either as we live in the best country in the world. Just need to be very careful manageing budget.

I have always believed that NBL should always be free to air in the interest of attracting childrens to basketball. History shows clearly the affect of limiting that exposure. Its all about the short term profits I guess. Particularly during covid complications.
Cheers all.

Reply #877929 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

They do have some games on free to air

as has been the norm the last few seasons

not in prime time though

plus i think you'll find that basketball is definitively one of the top 5 most participated sports by kids

Reply #877930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"its just $5.80 a week, or 1 take away coffee a week," Man you are being robbed!

Reply #877931 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

When Foxtel was the only way of seeing games regularly, I had Foxtel just to get it. Think I paid $75 or $85 pm. In them thar days, I would go to many bullets games.

We have it so good nowadays in respect to broadcasting. It wasn't that long ago when paying $80/month for Foxtel got you only two NBL games a week - Big Wednesday and Saturday night.

Who else remembers the NBL's first attempt at online streaming? $5 per game PPV on rivusTV which would usually buffer so you had to nag them for a refund credit which would usually get denied. The good old days.

Reply #877932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some off us just don't like giving money to Murdock for anything on principal. There are ways off watching by not paying.
Sports should be on free to air as promised by mr Howard, if commercial channels don’t want it I’m certain that abc or sbs could find a place for them if funded properly.
I will not pay to watch sport, I can certainly afford it, it’s my principal.

Reply #877934 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

constantly buffer*

Reply #877935 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" I will not pay to watch sport, I can certainly afford it, it's my principal."

I will not pay taxes because it’s my principle. Everything should be free for me. Mr Howard why is this not so?

Reply #877937 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Principal, principle, Princepal (Singh).

Reply #877938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've paid plenty of taxes my friend, I just believe sport was always free and still should be. Again it’s my choice, will be interesting to see if the nbl lose some viewers.

Reply #877941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL don't need cheap charlie's like you watching it's product.

Reply #877943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quality of a professional sport largely based on the tv package they have. A cheap as chips free to air package would mean a lower quality on the court, and would result in a downward spiral for the league.

A big free to air package like afl is based on the revenue they can generate from advertisers. Even now tv packages for afl mean you need fox/Kayo etc to see most games each week.

In the states it's the same. Worldwide it’s the same.

Reply #877944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We could have no pay tv and be like the Australian Baseball League. Totally amateurish and irrelevant in the Australian sporting landscape

Reply #877945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be fair there are issues and reasons not to pay.

For starters Kayo is co-owned by News Ltd. One of, if not the most corrupt company in the world.

This same company does deals with local sporting bodies to stream community sport, if you click a few boxes to become a paid up member (after a free trial) but to cancel you have to call and go through a long process. If you get thru. It's predatory behaviour which is borderline illegal.

Its what the Saudis are doing with the EPL. Hardly someone to be compared to.

Reply #877946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Michael Frazier has been ruled out with a leg injury. Matt Hodgson is in doubt. With Blanchfield and Norton already out, the Wildcats looking a bit thin tonight.

Reply #877947 | Report this post

36ers without Sunday Dech though, so expect Cotton and Law to get 60+ between them.

Reply #877948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I pay to watch European basketball, not owned by Murdock, I'm now a premier league watcher, since Murdock lost the rights to Optus. I’m a community person and enjoy helping out, as I said I chose who I give my money to.

Reply #877951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can I suggest a VPN and watch on the NBL's YouTube channel or a Fetch subscription to pay $6 a month to pay Malaysian media moguls instead?

Reply #877952 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Doesn't NBL have a twitch.tv channel anymore???

Reply #877965 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not anymore with the new agreement.

Reply #877969 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

The pain

Reply #877976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing changes in the jungle, Perth is Perth, Adelaide looking good but Perth just better. Law and Cotton will be unstoppable, Norton, Hodgson and Blanchfield not playing, when there back look out.
CJ looking like an excellent choice, there team will be knocking on the door for finals and could well make it.

Reply #877984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My god Vic Laws jump shot is beautiful. Didn't get to see much of him before his injury last season but looks good tonight

Reply #877987 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Debut to forget for Dufelmeier so far.

Reply #877988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Law is a beast

Reply #877989 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

This is why I hated Adelaide being undefeated in the Blitz. I just couldn't shake the feeling that we'd struggle to back that up in the actual season.

4th period now, Perth in front by 11 and Adelaide is resorting to trying to look for 3's just about every time now. They're hitting 2's, but they've gone cold beyond the 3 line.

Reply #877990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Law was always going to feast. I don't think anyone expected this much though.

Reply #877991 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Why is Mojave King out there at this stage of the game. Competing with Dufelmeier for worst Sixers debut.

Reply #877992 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Still got it.

Reply #877993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries will need to improve a lot on tonight's performance, Hannah as well. Sixers got make sure they win at home not lose to lower sides and could play finals.

Morrison was like Gleeson on the side lines for a while, Perth look great already, injuries and Covid only thing that rocks their finals campaign.

Reply #877994 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Sloppy last half from the 36ers. Perth were also a bit sloppy IMO, but obviously less so to draw away by 12 in the end.

Vic Law is an early MVP candidate. Can he keep up the pace??

Perth are going to be tough to beat again, especially when they finally have a true centre out there (Hodgson won't be injured all season).

Adelaide were 3/21 for 3-pointers. But that's often what happens when you get behind on the scoreboard, you start putting up bombs and hope some hit. Most don't though.

As an Adelaide fan I love DJ, but damn if he isn't just about the slowest centre in the league. Still bloody tough to stop though.

After the Blitz, I feared Adelaide would come crashing back to earth, and they did. Tonight at least.

Reply #877995 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Did Frazier play?

Reply #877996 | Report this post

Full stop guy  
Years ago

Tough first up game. Travelling from Tassy. Dechure out hurts sixers. Class performer. Sixers to bounce back. Too much talent. Need to get feet on ground and consistency. Been very unsettling prep. Away from home.. stay true sixers.

Reply #877998 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Geez... Cats game threads are really short when Gleeson isn't around huh

Reply #877999 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

On the travel from Tasmania thing, Perth had to do that to so no real advantage other than they were actually going home.

Perth had the better of it tonight, but we'll see how Adelaide come up against Illawarra on Sunday.

Reply #878000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where can we watch a game replay?

Reply #878001 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Scomo showing positive signs and at one time reached Trevs decibel and pitch levels. Should be right up to speed within a few weeks.
I hope coaching Sixers isn't a death sentence for CJ's coaching career. His composure is admirable but needs to get into a bit of screeching.

Reply #878004 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I miss the sideshow of Trev and Joey!

Reply #878005 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Positives for 6ers were Bairstow (first half mainly), Mccarron is a pro, DJ had moments, Withers looks good.

Disappointed in Dufelmeir, Hannahs was ordinary. Isaac looked miles off his best.

Game was there to be won but couldn't stop Law. Some of our turnovers were unbelievably stupid!

Reply #878006 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Hannahs was all lip a week ago like he was the next LeBron. Back to reality kid.

Reply #878009 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

No Blanch, No Norton, No Frazier, and then no Hodgson
but no problem.

Lot on faith in the DP, starting the first game of the season.

Vic Law obviously relishing putting on a show for the Perth crowd.

Good to see Travers putting in quality minutes

and nice to see Bairstow looking good and playing well. Hopefully he stays healthy.

Reply #878011 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Both teams travelled from Tas but Wildcats get an advantage going back home.
Sixers could not get enough stops, got outscored in every qtr and was unable to contain Law, but the 3pt percentage is one of biggest reasons for the loss. 3/21 is going to always lose you games. If they were 8/21 then this game is different.

Reply #878014 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

That 3/21 is extraordinary to me as my recollections during the game was of Cotton's 3 pointers rimming out and 36ers going down the other end with Bairstow and DJ is think swishing 3s and they looked like they had the really nice rims in the first half so to hear that they hit 1 more 3 pointer for the rest of the game is crazy.

The talk of King starting even with Dech out was definitely all talk.

Law was incredible and along with Cotton I was thinking back to the days where you were hoping to see the imports take most of the shots (thinking 80s and 90s) as Law seemed to be doing everything right and you knew that Cotton's time would come if he needed to take on more responsibility but in truth the scoreboard probably afforded him to take a backseat.

Kevin White had 3 tremendously sloppy turnovers yet the Wildcats had 9 total for the game so that is a great upside and shows Zunic can build confidence as he earns more trust and good on him too.

That turnover from DJ where he got into the key and threw the ball over his head behind him and out of bounds was hilarious moreso for the fact he's had so many coaches whilst in Adelaide and he doesn't have a coach (as of yet) that will completely lose their shit over such a all risk no reward play.

Jook was very good but twice he didn't communicate with Law on rebounding opportunities that led to Adelaide possessions so we definitely need that worked on.

Really wanted to see more from Dusty Hannah as I put him in my fantasy team ahead of Tahjere and thinking his game looked quite underwhelming, but he has another game Sunday to rectify that.

Money making Mitch is such a bloody sensational player and exactly the type you'd want in a Boomers camp (not my choice if he makes the team but his involvement in camp will only benefit the team) as he is taking his game from strength to strength and he will have triple doubles this season for sure

Reply #878020 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Missed the first quarter, who started for Adelaide?

Duffel I feel like the problem with him will be where Adelaide are down he'll look like he is forcing it, which he did. When Adelaide are doing well he’ll look aggressive. One of those scenarios where everyone looks bad or everyone looks good depending on how the game is going for the team.

Hannahs will either be an X factor that is hot and cold (cold lastnight), or he will be too small/struggle to make space for his shot and end up not being effective.

I don’t think Adelaide come in with highly rated imports in comparison to the rest.

We need Withers to play starters minutes, we need King not to play substantial minutes when he’s not effective. We can’t just be a development club, bias needs to be to winning.

Bairstow looked good - happy with what I saw. Still need a backup defensive import because Humphries will get in foul trouble bailing DJ out.

I expect Humphries will take a little bit of time to get match fit

Reply #878023 | Report this post

Pug  
Years ago

I can feel another coach sacking coming on

Reply #878032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Sotto really injured or just out of the rotation?

Reply #878038 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Law might be the best teammate Cotton's had on this side of the pacific

Scary for the rest of the league.

2 genuine studs. A bunch of experienced role players- Blanchfield, Norton, Hodgson, White, Wagstaff, Majok.

Then Travers with real potential. And Frazier.

Good continuity- Norton, Cotton, Blanchfield, White, Travers, Wagstaff, Majok who didn't play but was in the system. More carry overs than most teams.

I like their roster. The never ending streak should continue.

Reply #878039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So despite not even watching a second it's like deja vu all over again. This just an observation after the first game.
Perth get written off preseason and rumours of the streak finishing. Then they add the perfect offsider to Cotton in Law, and room for another import. Aussie contingent solid, will challenge for title again.
Everyone gets excited about Sixers preseason. But no doubt the imports will be on the hot seat yet again. Humphries playing limited minutes because he's more fragile than KR ego. How long will CJ last until the next excuse for sacking a coach comes around whilst Joey and CH can afford to relax in Adelaide running some local basketball programs. Maybe CJ had Petty doing the Law scouting report.
Sotto is going to have to be freaking good, but not holding breath on that for sure.

Reply #878041 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

A lot of us have Perth in finals, and a lot of us cautioned that preseason means nothing, and a lot of us had 36ers 6-8th.

I don't think there’s anything particularly surprising except perhaps Law being just that good and Bairstow actually looking decent.

Law was awesome - I do expect Perth to be good again this year and obviously they’ve got plenty of talent that was missing last night.

Perth didn’t play well last night and probably any side that is genuine on making the top 4 would have won that game.

Reply #878045 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Having Law alongside Cotton is dangerous. Will allow Blanchfield to come back and just find his feet in no pressure role. Law now reminds me of Willie Farley, packed house and loud fans, all there to watch him put on a show, and did he deliver or what.

Reply #878061 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:37 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754