Anonymous
Years ago

I was going to sign with United: Bogut

Bogut said that he had an agreement with United but they tried to change the terms of the agreement late, so that's why he went to Sydney.

"Anyhow, that went against what we'd agreed the day before and that was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

At that point, I didn’t even go back with a counteroffer. I just let the contract offer sit there without reply.

That’s when I reached out to Jeff Van Groningen, who was the general manager at the Sydney Kings.

I’d known Jeff for years and he had expressed interest in me for some time.

I called him and said this is the deal that I want, yes or no. I told them that I could also go back to the NBA on a veteran minimum deal as a last resort.

Sydney also offered me the option of potential ownership, like United had, but there was nothing extra the Kings enticed me with other than removing the silliness around protecting sponsors. They understood I was also a brand, much like the NBL was.

Jeff flew to Melbourne on the Sunday morning, and we agreed on the deal in principal that night."

I truly believe that United didn’t think I had a backup plan and that I was just going to roll over because I wanted to be in Melbourne so badly as I was building a home.

They tried to use that as leverage and I’m the wrong person to try and do that with. I’m a man of my word and when you shake my hand and I say I’m going to do something, I’m going to do it. I only expect the same in return.

To be honest, I wasn’t really thinking about a backup because I thought, surely United aren’t going to balls this up. I mean, one of the biggest names in Australian basketball coming home with still a little bit of legs left."

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/andrew-bogut-on-why-he-walked-away-from-his-melbourne-united-contract-at-the-final-hurdle-to-join-the-sydney-kings-in-2018/news-story/bed42e3fb6cb7b66c204d5d553d5dafd

Topic #49588 | Report this topic

proud  
Years ago

Any chance of getting him to commentate some games this NBL season?

Loved his work at the Olympic Games

Reply #880657 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

It's like Melbourne channeled their inner Adelaide and did it well

Reply #880659 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Reckon Melbourne United dodged a bullet, title and did not have to worry about a player with a huge ego.

Bogut is all about Bogut.

Reply #880660 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This was disappointing to read.

With Bogut United would've won the 2019 title.

Boone peaked in 2018 but by the 2019 Grand Final was past his best, and Perth's bigs won the battle.

With MVP Bogut at United, would've been a different result.

Reply #880662 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

I'm glad Bogut never played for Melbourne United. Bogut has such a big ego. It’s all about him and his rights.

How did Sydney workout Bogs?

Did you win a NBL Championship, that’s right, no.

Reply #880664 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I'd like to hear Bogut on NBL commentary also, he was good on the Olympics.

Reply #880665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one cares you washed up hack

Reply #880666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meanwhile, in Perth, we be shining the hardware!

Reply #880667 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

That Sydney v Perth series had the potential to be one of the all time greats, and it is a real shame it was cut short with the covid situation - a decision Bogut himself was instrumental in making. I've always been a big fan of what Bogut does on court. Much of the team's success from 2016-2019 rested on Bogut's ability to pass from the high post and set great screens. He's also been an NBA champion. I think calling him a "washed up hack" is pretty unfair.

BUT having said that, his comment about his footprint being bigger than that of the NBL is pure arrogance and seems like a shot at the league to boost himself up. As good as he was in his first NBL season I think most people see him winning that MVP as a publicity stunt. He got the worse end of quite a few centres in this league and there were other names just as deserving. You can tell he thinks a whole lot of himself by the way he talks. And while he definitely was pretty good in his hey day he seemed to expect to be treated like royalty after it.

Reply #880668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut, not sure you can believe anything he says these days.

Reply #880669 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bogut cannot commentate as he is a shareholder of Sydney

Reply #880670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Much of the team's success from 2016-2019 rested on Bogut's ability to pass from the high post and set great screens. "

Keep in mind that Bogut only was part of one title and the warriors were losing 2-1 to a Cavs team missing Kyrie and Kevin love. They then decided to bench Bogut and turned the series around.

Reply #880671 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

I lost heaps of respect when the NBL cut games 4 and 5 of the 2020 NBL Finals series.

Dog move by the league. I know some leagues had to cancel their seasons because they couldn't operate. The NBL only had 2 games left, yes only 2 games?

They were better off playing in a smaller closed indoors venue without any crowds and travel. But again, Sydney lost that series on themselves for giving up. If the Sydney owners said "hey, will keep playing," different story all together.

I don't give a rats what Bogut says. Complainers will always complain. Keeps going on with politics and how Australia is run. Just put your chin up and keep going day by day. Some things are out of our control.

Reply #880674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does being a shareholder automatically exclude him from commentating?

Reply #880675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is it a dog move by the league when the Kings withdrew? That's on the Kings, not the league. The league offered alternate options to complete the series, all of which the Kings refused

Reply #880676 | Report this post

Geth  
Years ago

" one of the biggest names in Australian basketball..."

Anytime someone needs to remind you about their status or achievements, just shows how insecure they are. If we want to get technical about “Rogues Bogues”, many people (experts) also consider him a bust.

Reply #880677 | Report this post

Geth  
Years ago

#676 have you been under a rock?

Reply #880678 | Report this post

Geth  
Years ago

^ my bad read that the other way around. Completely agree.

Reply #880679 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Years ago

Hey boges, why did you get cut from state jnr team?

Reply #880680 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bogut's a dropkick always has been, Mr #pizzagate.

Reply #880682 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Who considers him a bust?

Reply #880683 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It must have been hard for JvG to sign a non-Moldovan player.

Vince royally screwed this which is up there with the Casper Ware debacle, yet later on gets a promotion from LK. Even Homicide isn't on that good of a deal.

Reply #880745 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'll add to be fair that these are Bogut's version of events.

Perhaps United were keen but not super keen to sign him due to questions around his health and the stupid shit he posts on Twitter amongst other issues.

Reply #880750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams don't give a crap about what people post on Twitter if they are top tier players. We’re living in a world where an imbecile like Kyrie will be playing again (on his terms). Anyone in Melbourne’s front office would be straight up lying if they said they didn’t want Bogut at that point in time.

Reply #880793 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I really hope Boguts version is mostly fabricated, cos if its mostly true then United's front office stuffed up monumentally.

I reckon it's mostly true. Maybe not every detail. Just in the sense of the basic outline. United had the chance to sign the best Aussie in the competition, knew what he wanted, could afford him, didn't give him what he wanted and then someone else did instead.

As I said, costing United a probable title.

Not good enough

Reply #880804 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Not good enough

So you are p!ssed off at United for not paying more for a Championship.

Reply #880806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a newscorp article about Andrew Bogut.

Yeah I’m gonna say it’s mostly fabricated.

Reply #880807 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Years ago

100% correct

Bogut was even at the Melbourne Grand Prix pre season wearing United merchandise. He had a deal on the table with McDonalds but the conflict with Hungry Jacks wouldn't allow him to take it up and hence he fell out with LK.

Reply #880808 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

Who cares anymore? Just Bogut desperately trying to stay relevant.

Reply #880814 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[
So you are p!ssed off at United for not paying more for a Championship.]

Not necessarily

Bogut was asking 500k

Boone was all NBL 1st team 2018, for all we know his salary wasn't hugely less.

Or maybe we would've got Bogut and a cheaper import than DJ Kennedy instead- who, despite reportedly being paid more than Casper, didn't perform like it.

Reply #880815 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

When I saw someone posting this on the twittergram, I thought it was a "this time 3yrs ago" post or something... Isn't this all old news that no-one really gave a toss about back then? Who really cares about all this now?

What did it really do for the Kings in the long run? Did it get significantly more bums on seats? Same could be said for Gaze coming in to coach... Two of the most recognisable names in Australian basketball and the Kings still managed to balls it up, really... Anything less than a championship by his second season was the bar for failure, and they limbo'd under that pretty well...

JvG worked his "magic" on this team well and truly... Big promises, lots of money, but fell short time and time again due to lack of substance...

Still having to trot Bogut out to try to score some points over United over the same period as their "greatest rivalry" re-match that was a big fizzer again, says more about the state of the Kings these days than anything else... An embarrassment from the ownership group on down...

Reply #880877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, the last paragraph sums it up nicely. Management still as shit as under JVG, who would have thought possible.

Reply #880880 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:12 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754