D2.0
Two years ago

Wildcats 40th Anniversary Team

https://www.wildcats.com.au/news/wildcats-to-reveal-40th-anniversary-team

"To select the team, 10 panellists of experts have been enlisted, with each to submit their all-time Perth Wildcats team of 10 players"
"All 10 will individually select a starting five and a reserve five, each comprising of THREE front court players and two guards.
They will be instructed to choose their team with a mindset of building the best possible roster of Wildcats players to take to the court, while only considering each player's performance as a Wildcat.
To be eligible for selection, a player must have played a minimum of TWO seasons with the Wildcats. There are no restrictions on the number of import players allowed to the team."
Alan Black
John Casey
Dennis Cometti
Troy Georgiu
Tim Gossage
Dr Adrian Hurley
Luc Longley
Boti Nagy
Lachy Reid
Liam Santamaria

Starting Five I'd suggest practically picks itself.
Bench is more of a challenge, and whilst the two-season requirement eliminates some of the more brilliant players, there's still the old question of short-term excellence vs longevity.

Anyway, my picks:

Ricky Grace / Damian Martin
Bryce Cotton / Kevin Lisch
Scott Fisher / Shawn Redhage
Andrew Vlahov / Nick Kay
James Crawford / Paul Rogers

Note that in order to comply with the requirement for 3 front-court players, I have favoured the historic "Perth Wall" format.

Honourable Omissions:
Mike Ellis
Cal Bruton
Casey Prather
Jesse Wagstaff
Tiny Pinder

Topic #49657 | Report this topic

Another Anon  
Two years ago

I would probably have Todd Lichti in the honorable mentions and maybe Cattalini (not sure his stats back it up though).
Otherwise can't think of anyone who would break into that top 10.

Reply #882480 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

The 30th anniversary team:
Grace/Ellis
Lisch/Harvey
Vlahov/Redhage
Fisher/Pinder
Crawford/Rogers

Cotton and Martin have to come in. Harvey's obviously out as a result, then it's just a question of whether you drop Ellis or Lisch. It's really hard to drop Ellis, who was basically the entire team in the early 80s and captained for a decade, so I'm very tempted to drop Lisch.

Hard to ignore Kay in the front court, even without much longevity, and replacing Pinder is always a good idea. Dunigan could slot in for Rogers were it not for the minimum number of seasons requirement.

Cattalini played two seasons as a young kid who couldn't really break into the rotation, left and played his best years elsewhere, and then came back for a retirement tour. He's nowhere near this conversation.

Reply #882483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Grace/Martin
Cotton/Lisch
Vlahov/Redhage
Fisher/Pinder
Crawford/Rogers

Reply #882486 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Two years ago

I would take Kay above Pinder.

Reply #882487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Pinder just based on off court stuff should not have any honour bestowed upon him.
Or will we include Epstein on top investment bankers HOF as well.

Reply #882488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Matt Knight not getting any love.

Reply #882491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Knight over Kay for longevity sake?

Reply #882492 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Two years ago

The only change I'd consider from the OP team is Knight over Kay. Other than that, looks good.

Crawford still favourite Wildcat of all time. Absolute legend. Still remember his tip in dunk to beat the Cannons and his block on Reese to stop the Giants knocking us out of the playoffs (won that game in overtime).

Reply #882493 | Report this post

NT  
Two years ago

Thank you #488. You have integrity re: Pinder.
Just wish everyone did.

They should just reflect to themselves if they must that yes he was indeed a very talented basketball player, but then please leave the nostalgia there because he is a serial sex offender who has caused trauma to many people and continues to do so. A quick search on the daily telegraph newspaper will show that he is currently serving more prison time and in the court process for two more very serious offenses as recent as 2021. So it would be a lot less hurtful if the people making these all time team lists would stop including this person on them and stop including him on any honourable lists.

Harvey Weinstein was a very talented film producer but I'm sure he doesn’t get included in all time/honourable lists anywhere.

Nostalgia out.
Integrity and sensitivity in, please.

Reply #882498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Knight way better than Kay. Longevity.

Reply #882499 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Two years ago

Seeing Kendall Tiny Linder's name hurts you?

You precious little petal.

Reply #882501 | Report this post

DJ  
Two years ago

Grace/Lisch
Cotton/Beal
Fisher/Martin
Vlahov/Redhage
Crawford/Clausen

Reply #882508 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

I'm struggling to figure out which of your picks is the worst.

Reply #882509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Should be deleted from all NBL records. Absolute creep.

Former Perth Wildcat Kendal 'Tiny' Pinder back in jail after stalking charge

Former Perth Wildcat and Harlem Globetrotter Kendal "Tiny" Pinder is back in jail after ordering a terrified woman to get into his car outside a Sydney train station.

Pinder pleaded guilty in Sutherland Local Court last week to stalking the woman near Rockdale train station in April.

He followed the woman in his car, asking if she wanted a lift, News Corp reported.

When she said no, he got out of the car and repeatedly ordered her to get inside, leaving the woman “in fear of being assaulted and kidnapped”, according to court facts.

Magistrate Phillip Stewart on Friday said Pinder’s latest offending was “serious and concerning” and sentenced him to 15 months imprisonment, backdated to his arrest in April.

“This is the random stalking of a woman and complete stranger - women have the right to walk in public without being harassed,” he said.

Pinder’s celebrated basketball career came to an extraordinary end soon after he was handcuffed by police in the change rooms at half-time of a Wildcats final in 1990.

He was charged with sexual assault, attempted sexual assault and deprivation of liberty and sentenced to 18 months in jail, the first of several stints behind bars for the 203cm Bahamian.

Reply #882536 | Report this post

random  
Two years ago

McGowan is protecting his piggy bank....the mining sector

when virus hits mine sites they'll shut down for weeks at a time.

big dent to his income stream

Reply #882576 | Report this post

NT  
Two years ago

#536 Also these charges in 2021

September 16, 2021 - 7:40AM dailytelegraph.com.au

A former Harlem Globetrotter who once had a high-profile Australian basketball career is behind bars on remand charged with two sexual assaults - one of which allegedly left a woman injured – more than a decade apart.

Kendal "Tiny" Pinder, once a celebrated international basketball player who performed with the Harlem Globetrotters in the 1980s has been charged over allegations he sexually assaulted the same woman twice over more than a decade.

His Australian NBL career spanned stints with the Sydney Supersonics, Perth Wildcats and Illawarra Hawks after a brief and unimpressive career which never truly got off the ground in America's NBA.

An investigation by Bankstown police into allegations of sexual assault resulted in him being charged with aggravated sexual assault and sexual intercourse without consent. Documents tendered to Bankstown Local Court, where Pinder appeared on Tuesday via audiovisual link from the Metropolitan Remand and Reception Centre at Silverwater, reveal new details of the police allegations against Pinder. Police will allege Pinder had non-consensual sex with a woman in “circumstances of aggravation” which relate to allegations he did “intentionally or recklessly inflict actual bodily harm” on the complainant.
Police will further allege Pinder then had sexual intercourse without consent with the same female complainant in March 2021, at which time she made a complaint to the police over the alleged incidents. The matter was briefly mentioned and the court heard he would next face Burwood Local Court in November 2021. Pinder is yet to enter any pleas.

Reply #882578 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

Grace/Ellis
Cotton/Martin
Vlahov/Redhage
Fisher/Knight
Crawford/Rogers

Martin out of position, but on this team he'd be coming in as a defensive stopper and gave him the nod over Lisch for the extra longevity in a Cats uniform.

Reply #882582 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

You think a thread is going to just be about the Cats 40th anniversary team, but you click on it and it's got everything!

My vote goes to Mike Ellis in that fight for the 4th guard spot. Longevity & leadership gets him over the line a nose in front of Lisch for mine.

Reply #882586 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

The on topic parts of the thread show just how lucky Wildcats fans have been.

As an outsider who missed basically all of Ellis' career, I favour Lisch getting that last guard spot, but I could see a long time Cats fan not agreeing with that.

Reply #882587 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Pretty much everyone missed a lot of Ellis's career - his peak was in the early 80s in front of 500 people at Perry Lakes Stadium with no TV.

Reply #882588 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Yeah but at least a Perth fan will have grown up with him around the club, stories etc so may have a stronger attachment

Reply #882589 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Lists like these always end up being mostly disagreements based on peak quality vs longevity.
Peak Lisch was better than peak Ellis. I doubt there would be any disagreement about that.

If the "best possible roster of Wildcats players to take to the court" means they're playing one hypothetical game, so which team has the best chance of winning, then Lisch has to get the spot.
But f*ck it, my vote still goes to Mike :p

Reply #882591 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Where is RaMarQabLe to cast his vote for the greatest Cats of all time? Rashad Tucker played 2 seasons here so is eligible!

Reply #882592 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

I like this squad a lot but I've never liked Redhage so I’d exclude him and he provides absolutely nothing that you won’t get from Vlahov, Fisher, Kay and Crawford (inside presence that can hit the 3 pointer and post up opponents) and whilst I want to put in Marcus Timmons for being such a hero in 2000 or a Casey Prather that are so dynamic and offer what Redhage doesn’t or can’t I think this side needs a gunslinger...
We are in a fantasy world where there are no double teams as everyone is too good to need them but if by chance they double Grace to stop him going left then I want a bloke standing on the perimeter that I know can hit that open look and Steindl, Stewart, Harvey, Dolla types definitely come to mind here and being Stiendl was my favourite then I’ll select him and hear how I can justify Clint over Shawn!

Honorable mentions Matty is coming off an injury so I want him cherry ripe so he just missed out.
David Van Dyke was so great with rim protection and rebounding but Crawford has that.
Mooney was so impressive.

Good luck to the selection panel and I like that they aren’t all Wildcats fans judging

Reply #882596 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

Yeah, I suppose calling Pinder an "Honourable" omission was wrong.
And I agree, naming him in any celebratory team is wrong.

Reply #882601 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

Ellis is a legend, no doubt.
My first problem is my OCD says I can only have 2 PGs. So do I omit Martin or Ellis? I've met Ellis, we used to be involved in the same tee-ball club, and he is a genuinely good guy. But I can't overlook Martin.

Now if we go to the requirement to simply have two guards, it opens another possibility, but it's still tough.
Lisch was exceptional for us, especially in big games. Won the GF MVP in his debut season, and went on to win only our 2nd League MVP.

Reply #882602 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

"his peak was in the early 80s in front of 500 people at Perry Lakes Stadium with no TV."

His peak was his matchup against me at Loftus Rec when I was about 21 which would make him 45. I dropped 30pts on him...he dropped 40pts on me, career high maybe. :P

Reply #882603 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

My first problem is my OCD says I can only have 2 PGs. So do I omit Martin or Ellis?
Except that a) "point guard" is an increasingly meaningless term, as are all five of the specific player positions we grew up with, and b) Ellis played a chunk of his career at the 2 spot. Assuming Grace is your lock at the one, Ellis started alongside him on two championship teams, so suggesting they can't both be on the floor at the same time is absolutely ridiculous.

Reply #882604 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

The two season requirement eliminates guys like Ellis and Mooney from discussion, but allows Kay to squeak in.
But what a 2 seasons. Huge part of b2b championships, and was 1st-team both years.

If you go the longevity route, then I think a strong case exists for Wagstaff.

Reply #882605 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Did the Hawks announce a 40th anniversary team a few years ago?

Reply #882606 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

"If you go the longevity route, then I think a strong case exists for Wagstaff."

You've got to combine it with individual excellence too, can't just have him in it due to longevity. He's played his part over his time, made big shots when required, played big minutes when required, but he's not on the level of the other players.

Reply #882609 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

I think Wagstaff sacrificed a bit to stay with Perth, he could have been a starter in other teams.

Reply #882612 | Report this post

Craig  
Two years ago

Grace / Martin
Cotton / Lisch
Redhage / Fisher
Vlahov / Knight
Crawford / Rogers

Reply #882616 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

"Assuming Grace is your lock at the one, Ellis started alongside him on two championship teams,"

Yeah, as I said, naming 2 guards (plus 2 on the bench) opens up another opportunity for Ellis.
For mine Grace, Cotton, and Martin are locks. That leaves me tossing up between Ellis and Lisch.

I certainly won't be complaining if Ellis is named.

Reply #882618 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

I generally go the Longevity option, but have somewhat reverted this time by naming Kay & Lisch. I can understand why some would prefer Knight and Ellis

Reply #882619 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

Grace/Lisch
Cotton/Tucker
Fisher/Redhage
Vlahov/Kay
Crawford/Rogers

I'm picking the team to win me a game

Reply #882646 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Two years ago

Tough team to pick, would be hard to omit Jesse Wagstaff though. 6x time champion, second all time games played. These lists don't always comes down to stats, he's been a strong part of the identify of the club for nearly 15 years. Maybe all the flopping will hurt his chances... ;)

Reply #882838 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Two years ago

haha just re-read the original post. If they are picking a team to win you can remove Wagstaff. Dont mind me.

Reply #882839 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

Trev has been named Coach. Hardly surprising.

Wildcats have opened a competition: https://bit.ly/AllTimeDreamTeam

Reply #883886 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

The banner on that link has me thinking - we have had four logos in our history, averaged out one per decade. I wouldn't mind a revamped design as the current one is stale and going on twenty years.

Reply #883888 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

NB: As discussed above, one name is conspicuously absent from the list of selectables.

Reply #883889 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

Grace/Lisch
Cotton/Tucker
Fisher/Redhage
Vlahov/Kay
Crawford/Rogers

This line-up would have reversed the NBL's rule of allowing only 3 imports, to allowing only 3 NON-imports.

However, as 5 of the 7 are now Aussies (4 plus Cotton). Fisher(?) may make it 6 of the 7 (what happened, Tucker?), that line up could well be NBL-legal!

That is some team. Arguably, half of that team would make the All NBL All Time Dream Team. IMO, Grace, Cotton, Fisher and Crawford would be starters and at least 1 of Vlahov or Kay, off the bench. Lisch, Tucker and Redhage may be considered but tough comp for those spots. Bradtke replaces Rogers, for mine.

And we all wonder how the Wildcats stay at, or near, the top year after year!?

Reply #883924 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

The Starting Five is in:
Grace, Cotton, Redhage, Vlahov, Crawford.

Redhage over Fish is a big call, but not unwarranted.

Reply #883958 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

Neither lineup reflects modern reality, as both Shawn and Scot were at best stretch-4's. But that's ok for a team covering 40 years.

Even during his time at the Cats, I personally believe that Fisher was the better player. But Redhage certainly gets the points for longevity.

Reply #883962 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Fisher was way better than Redhage for sure. The rest of the five is fine.

Reply #883973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Redhage over Fisher was the right call IMO. Both great players but Fish played his best ball at North Melbourne and didn't have the longevity that Redhage had.

Reply #883978 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Redhage played during the worst era of the NBL.

Reply #883979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

The worst era of the NBL was 2009-13. Redhage was at his best 2005-09.

Reply #883980 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Yes and he won his first title in 2009-10 which as you say was the beginning of that stinky stretch of the NBL and 2010 was the weakest GF series of all time.

Reply #883983 | Report this post

anon  
Two years ago

How did they leave Billy Keys? Yes, I was there at the start.

Reply #883984 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Two years ago

C'mon Anon, Tim Evans was better than Billy!

As someone who has watched them from 1986, I would think perhaps they are reasoning that Fisher and Vlahov play the same spot?

As much as I love JC (my all time favourite), some serious thought must have been given to Rogers. First Wildcat to ever win the league MVP.

A bench of Damian Martin, Lisch, Kay, Fisher and Rogers though. Yikes we have been spoiled over here.

Reply #884012 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Yes you have!

Reply #884013 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

Yes, Bench is In:

Grace / Martin (C)
Cotton / Lisch
Redhage / Fisher
Vlahov / Kay
Crawford / Rogers

Coach: Gleeson

(apart from transposing Redhage & Fisher) it is as I predicted. Great players all, and really picked themselves.

Reply #884014 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

That is some team, and as I've stated, with the Bradtke/Rogers change that as about as good as it gets. Very glad that Martin made that team.

For the ALL-NBL-ALL-TIME-DREAM-TEAM I want to get DMac in as a PG. Couldn't shoot to save his life, could score but with difficulty but could ball-handle and pass better than anyone and his defence was legendary. Only because Martin's claim to fame is his defence, I would prob leave him out for DMac. As defensively gifted as Martin and more of an offensive threat.

Any interest in starting an, "ALL NBL, ALL TIME DREAM TEAM" thread?

Reply #884097 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

Cats have released the Fans Team, as voted by over a thousand fans.

In a vote for Longevity over Short-term Excellence, Ellis and Wagstaff replaced Lisch and Kay.
That's always a tough decision to make, and I'm ok with those picks.

But the breakdown is a little strange:
Bryce Cotton (voted into 96.9% of teams)
Ricky Grace (95.0%)
James Crawford (93.3%)
Andrew Vlahov (91.8%)
Damian Martin (912%)
Shawn Redhage (83.5%)
Scott Fisher (79.4%)
Jesse Wagstaff (51.2%)
Paul Rogers (47.7%)
Mike Ellis (41.9%)

So 5% of fans did not have Grace in a 10 man team??

Reply #885283 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Damo being in over 900% of the teams is no surprise.

Reply #885293 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

So 5% of fans did not have Grace in a 10 man team??

Younger fans surely?

Reply #885300 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

^ Presumably
Would have been interesting to see which 4 guards they picked instead
(Or other 2, besides Damo and Cotton)

Reply #885332 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Cotton still not knowing when his citizenship is happening, slowest and worst federal government ever at everything.

Reply #885717 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Why would the NBL have a news article about Zero Progress?

Reply #885721 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

It's interesting news, certainly if you are a Perth supporter and he becomes a local.

Reply #885728 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

With the WA border finally re-opening next week Cotton can fulfill the exit/re-entry to Australia requirement of his application once the season ends.

Reply #885739 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Why would the NBL have a news article about Zero Progress?

If anything I'd like to hear more noise about it. It's ridiculous how long it is taking. I'm not all that fussed from a Wildcats POV because that's just icing on the cake, but I'd really like him able to be in the Boomers mix.

Reply #885741 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:00 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754