Fri 7:30pm - Townsville vs Adelaide [Kayo]

Sat 5:00pm - Perth vs Bendigo [ABC, Foxtel]

Sun 12:30pm - Sydney vs Southside [Kayo]
Sun 2:30pm - Adelaide vs Canberra [Kayo]
Sun 4:30pm - Townsville vs Melbourne [Kayo Freebies]

Topic #49672 | Report this topic

James Harvey fan  
Two years ago

Great game from Kalani tonight. 8 steals! Bendigo really undermanned now and will find it hard to get another win.

Reply #883007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Mansfield deserves to be on the opals list imo.
Injury in 2018 really cost her a spot.

Reply #883008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Maley showing her doubters wrong by continuing to develop her outside game. Assists, ball handling and shooting 3s.

As a 4 she's no chance of making an Opals Squad but as a 3???

Reply #883009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Bendigo need to import a PG immediately

Reply #883031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

What's the deal with Lavey? Season over due to AFLW clash?

Reply #883034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Maley undersized 4 not a 3

Reply #883036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Yes she is. But she's developing her outside game. People can change you know.

Reply #883037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Has been trying to develop a jump shot for a couple of years now without much success. If she can do it then lock her in for the Opals because she would be the best rebounding 3 we ever had.

Reply #883042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

"Has been trying to develop a jump shot for a couple of years now without much success."

Maley is shooting 42% on threes, and 46% from the field on high-volume shots... Try to keep up.

Reply #883043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Well she's shooting 42% from 3PT this season. As well as 15 rpg and 3apg.

Reply #883044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Her ball handling and perimeter d sucks though.
She's an undersized pf now, possibly a sf in the future.

Reply #883045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Both improving. Keep trying. Haters gonna hate.

Reply #883047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

6'2 is same height as Garbin or Froling, also pfs.
Allen plays pf at ny, also 6’2.

Maley doesn’t look 6’2 because she has a very lean frame.

Reply #883048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

4 is fine for fiba, just watch japan...

Reply #883049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I know Bendigo have got injuries but how does McLean get playing time? guard with a 22% FG percentage, geez.

Reply #883053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Bendigo may not have the money for a replacement import PG. Much would depend upon the contractual agreements between the Australian Basketballers' Association, the league and the clubs.

If the ABA and the league's pregnancy policy, as reported, is based on the Super netball policy ( 100% income protection on all earnings for up to 2 years ), then you can only hope the policy is backed by funding by the league - and the individual clubs are not having to carry the expense.

The AFLW’s maternity and pregnancy policy allows for the current contract to be paid in full during pregnancy. No wonder more sportswomen go for AFLW.

Reply #883059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Because the AFLW is funded entirely by the AFL. Helps to have the most publicly and privately funded corrupt sporting organisation funding a League losing millions for PR and to continue to destory other sports.

Reply #883061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Why did they sign Mitchell knowing she was pregnant,they lose the playe and still have to pay the salary?

Reply #883062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Who said the club knew ? General Employment contracts do not allow the employer to ask if the person is pregnant or intent to get pregnant - why would it be different in sport ?

Reply #883063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

It's unlawful for an employer to ask you if you’re pregnant or planning to become pregnant and to treat you unfavourably because of what you say. - see Sex Discrimination Act 1984, the Fair Work Act 2009 and other state and territory laws . That is why the league needs to have an insurance scheme, including public liability and player injury insurance , which is up to date and that it provides appropriate cover to meet the leagues stated policies.

Reply #883064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

"Why did they sign Mitchell knowing she was pregnant,they lose the playe and still have to pay the salary?"

I think a fairer question is, why did Mitchell sign with Bendigo knowing she was pregnant and would only play a small handful of games? Nice way to keep getting paid I suppose, while also screwing a club that already has zero budget out of its money.

Reply #883121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

That's what I meant but it looks better the other way

Reply #883124 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Another scrappy and not entirely convincing win by the Lynx against an undermanned Flyers team. But I'll take it.
Great minutes off the bench by Gaze, and Wallace looked right at home as a starter.

Reply #883199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Rocci has sucked, so many poor decisions this season.

Reply #883222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Wallace proving why she should be atleast in the opals camp and Rocci proving why she should be nowhere close.

Still can't believe Mansfield has not been considered.

Reply #883223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Maybe Mansfield has been considered, but Heal chosen? Who are the selectors and who do they listen to?

Reply #883224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Why not both?

Both are better than Rocci atm.

Reply #883225 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

DJ Rod on the Lynx:

Seems ominous?

Reply #883226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Makes me wonder if they're all going to go back to WA and not play the rest of the season.

Reply #883230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

If your using DJ Rod for your information god help us

Reply #883238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

There's been a deliberate and calculated build up of pressure by the Lynx owners on the WA Government. Point is, the WNBL season is not even on their radar, as it shouldn't be.

If certain Lynx players have to return to Perth for work, or choose to return to Perth for family reasons so be it. There are plenty of NBL1 players available and willing to play out the season for the Lynx.

Is this the WA Governments fault? No. Is it fair? No. But its 2022 reality given the eastern states and fed government's failing in dealing with COVID.

They're hardly the only ones suffering right now. Doesn't mean the rules should be changed to suit one sporting team.

Reply #883241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Doubt it's work related

Mabrey - basketball is work
Young - basketball is work
Scherf - basketball is work
Garbin - basketball is work
Whitcombe - basketball is work
Cibba - works for BWA
Burrows - doesn’t work full time
Clarke - doesn’t work full time
Sharp - can work remotely

Only ones it impacts potentially is..

Isenbarger
Gandini

I think any decision is one of being on the road for too long, family, and mental health. Not work.

Reply #883250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

"deliberate and calculated build up of pressure by the Lynx owners on the WA Government" is a funny line. There are so many parties with so many different angles when it comes to this border issue. The Perth Lynx would not even make it into the top 100 if these parties were listed in order of priority for the government. They are one voice in a large sea of voices.
All they can do is state their case and hope for some easing of the conditions but I don't see any chance of a solution that would realistically allow home games and I also don't think it is realistic for them to play out the whole season on the road.
They will have to come home it is just a question of when. They must be mentally cooked being in this situation. How do you stay motivated and focusses knowing that in all likelihood you are leaving soon and won't be competing for the title.

Reply #883252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Exactly the point I made in the next line.

Reply #883257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Reports from WITHIN the team have them flying home as soon as Monday. They are cooked and BA want them to stay on the east coast until April, which is just not feasible mental health wise or money wise. A shame because they are a genuine chance to win the thing and get the monkey off the back, but at the end of the day some things are bigger than Basketball. Even Petrik has a young family to think about, so this goes far beyond some Xs and Os on a whiteboard. BA with 72 hours to show a clear path towards Finals to the Lynx or watch them board a plane and throw the entire season into disarray if they make good on the threat to head back to the west.

Reply #883268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Surely the Wildcats will do the same. Gee while we are at it the Breakers should do the same as well. You're either professional athletes or you aren't. I don't see any other team in female sport doing this.

Reply #883270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

4 players/coaches I believe have young kids, trying to force ba/wa hand

Reply #883271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

They've been on the road for a month since starting the season late right?

ONE month. BA have given in to pressure before so its worth a try but seriously. Those that want to go home, go home. The League is bigger than a few players.

Reply #883272 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

4 players/coaches I believe have young kids, trying to force ba/wa hand

So do the Wildcats.

Reply #883273 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

What is meant by "Forcing BA/BWA's hand"?

There is very little that either of those 2 bodies can do, right? It's border rules vs what the players can tolerate.
Leagues aren't going to further disrupt the already precarious seasons for 1 team. Presumably the only hope is if all of WA's teams band together to try to get some special exemptions built in to the rules. I'm sure they're all pleading their cases as hard as possible, but the chances of it bearing fruit seem pretty slim looking at how the WA government have treated pro athletes to date (i.e. no differently to anyone else).

Reply #883275 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

BA want them to stay on the east coast until April
I thought the WNBL season had been significantly shorter than that the past few years?

Reply #883283 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

What the heck is going on with Flames imports this season?

FLAMES GRANT A RELEASE TO RENNIA DAVIS
The Brydens Sydney Uni Flames have granted a release for American import Rennia Davis after being bought out by a team in the Israeli WBL. The club wishes Rennia the best of luck in Israel.

Davis will not suit up for tonight's game against the UC Capitals in Canberra.

Davis joined the Flames as a replacement import for Steph Watts, who went down with a season-ending knee injury in training.

Davis was drafted at No. 9 by the Minnesota Lynx in the 2021 WNBA Draft, but missed the entire WNBA season after sustaining a stress fracture in her foot in the pre-season.

Shaquita Snow, who was on a trial stint with the team, will also be released.

The Flames, who scored their first win of the season on Tuesday night against Bendigo, will also take on the Southside Flyers at Qudos Bank Arena on Sunday.

The game will tip-off at 12.30 pm and be part of a double header with the Sydney Kings, who take on the Perth Wildcats at 3 pm.

(from WNBL.com.au)

Reply #883284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Lol shambles.

Cant believe how bad Australian basketball on the womens side has gotten.

Reply #883286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I've heard rumours jackson will get guaranteed WC spot to draw eyes.

That would be fked up.

Reply #883287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

"....the WA government have treated pro athletes to date (i.e. no differently to anyone else).

Statement of the century. Didnt AFL players fly in and out of Perth when no one else could?

Reply #883303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Exactly, each wa team has guidelines, all,of them different

Reply #883305 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Statement of the century. Didnt AFL players fly in and out of Perth when no one else could?
Did they? It's been so long and I don't follow the AFL much, so I honestly couldn't recall. I do know there were a few AFL games (and at least one NBL game) where the playing surface was deemed a quarantine area so teams could play while in their quarantine period, but that's the only real exception I recall offhand.

Reply #883306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Shane, I wonder how long he'll last

Reply #883307 | Report this post

JJ  
Two years ago

Shane needs to go, Sydney are horrible. Only coaching for his daughter and I think she is way better being coached by others like we saw in Townsville last season. Shane coaching days are over. Obviously helps to have friends in high places.

Reply #883308 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Flames were nearly down by 40pts (39 to be exact) at one stage before garbage time. Classic Shane.

Reply #883309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Shane is playing heal 34 mins a game, 5th highest mpg.
31 mins for Mansfield.
Next to no time for nskkasoglu

Reply #883310 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Hoo boy - that sounds brutal.
Flames actually played pretty well against the Lynx. Davis was a huge factor in that of course, so no surprise they didn't reach that same level without her.

The import merry go round at the Flames this season has been nuts.
When players smell a rat before they've even played their first game you know things aren't healthy.

Reply #883317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Keely Froling 0/10 from 2 tonight, so bad.

Reply #883325 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Coach will probably reduce her minutes next game after she dared take 2 more FGA than the franchise player

Reply #883326 | Report this post

Justsayin  
Two years ago

Flames turned to a circus. Team is hardly the number one priority for Heal. Imports see this and leave. Aussie girls unfortunately dont have such flexibility in their contracts.

Reply #883359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

What was Paul Smith thinking

Reply #883360 | Report this post

Two years ago

I wonder if Heal and Smith are going to blame a leaked video on this performance. That it was amazing that the Caps know exactly what was going to happen.

Or if Smith has now worked out that Heal can't coach and is only feathering the nest for his daughter, and it shows in their performances.

Reply #883361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Smith must have got lucky in business, because his decision making in both the mens and ladies basketball is below average. Lol.

Reply #883371 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Lynx confirmed to fly home Monday at the latest after team meeting last night voted the game against Bendigo today will be their last in this bubble road trip. Believed it was a unanimous decision. Ball is in your court BA. good luck

Reply #883372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Simple solution, the lynx are just removed for this season. Bye

Reply #883373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Balls not really in BA court. If Perth go home, does it mean they are not coming back? If that's, I guess that means Perth have withdrawn from the competition.

Reply #883378 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Pretty much, yeah.
If they fly home I think it means 2 weeks home quarantine for starters, so it removes them from the schedule for the short term.
No other teams are going to do 2 weeks just to play a game in Perth.
Are the Lynx going to fly back east after a break here? Doesn't seem likely or realistically possible to schedule. So I guess it would just become a 7 team league ... which would kinda throw a spanner into the works of the WNBL standings.

I noticed yesterday that the Boomers had already started to promote their Round 10 match vs the Lynx in Traralgon, which seemed slightly presumptuous unless there had already been some agreements made behind the scenes for the Lynx to extend their road trip.

Reply #883382 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Weird that they wouldn't at least stick around another week, which would have been the plan to begin with. Although if you're pulling out of the comp I guess it really makes no difference.

Reply #883384 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

No other teams are going to do 2 weeks just to play a game in Perth.
I don't think they'd be allowed in whether they quarantined or not.

Reply #883385 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

I guess it remains to be seen how strictly they're going to interpret those exemption definitions. The general "vibe" of them to me leaves a bit of wiggle room. Maybe it will depend on how many people are applying and how the respective case numbers are looking on the day.
But yes you're right - it might not even be an option at all, as opposed to just being a prohibitively impractical one.

Reply #883387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Only good thing Shane Heal has ever done was make an extremely attractive daughter named Shyla

Reply #883388 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Doubt it's work related

Mabrey - basketball is work
Young - basketball is work
Scherf - basketball is work
Garbin - basketball is work
Whitcombe - basketball is work
Cibba - works for BWA
Burrows - doesn't work full time
Clarke - doesn’t work full time
Sharp - can work remotely

Only ones it impacts potentially is..

Isenbarger
Gandini
Today's West has four players and two coaches working full time, and a further three studying.

Reply #883396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Why would you not hold on one more week with things likely to escalate in Perth quickly? Quarantine will get downgraded, borders may open.

Reply #883400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

And then just one more week after that and then just one last week and then just one more last week and then

Reply #883402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

It would help their Opals chances if Maley could hit a jump shot and Sherf could hit a lay up

Reply #883410 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

That Sami interview post game makes it sound like they're sticking it out, at least for a while.

Reply #883411 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Yeah, there was nothing in the Mabrey, Petrik, or Whitcomb interviews that suggested they're leaving just yet. Playing their cards very close to their chest if that's the plan.

Spirit put up a solid fight today but Whitcomb & Young were a level above.

Reply #883416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Makes no sense to return to Perth before 5 Feb with 14 days hotel quarantine, only becomes quarantining from home from that date (plus I guess Opals training camp + trip for some of the squad?).

eg Scorchers also seem to return only after that date
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/bbl-season-shorter-scorchers-star-163045825.html

Reply #883437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Draw will be amended in the next few days , earlier finish to the season , less games.

Reply #883462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Shorter season with or without Lynx??

Reply #883468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Chambers proving she can't coach without $$$ to spend on Cambage.
Heal proving he sucks too after Nakkasoglu who has been rarely used is the current top scorer.

Reply #883494 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Funda been rotting on the bench all season and now Shane has basically no choice but to play her after pissing off all the imports and Mansfield getting injured.
17 points on 4 FGA through the first 3 quarters. Now that is efficient.

Reply #883496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Lol, heal went all defensive team for some reason in the last few minutes.

Reply #883497 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

My goodness. That was truly awful.

Credit to the Flyers for sticking with it and flipping what should have been a certain loss into a big comeback win.

Reply #883498 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Surely this will be Heal's final NBL/WNBL coaching opportunity? Truly a dud.

Reply #883500 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

How do you build a 15 point lead into the 4th quarter - against a pretty good side - and then leave your top scorer sitting on the pine as your team manages 2 points in the last 7:26 of the game? Like what was he even thinking?

Reply #883502 | Report this post

Justsayin  
Two years ago

The guy is out of control. He lost the game to keep her 11% volume shooter daughter on the court. A more curious question is what the club management is thinking ?

Reply #883510 | Report this post

Justsayin  
Two years ago

The guy is out of control. He lost the game to keep her 11% volume shooter daughter on the court. A more curious question is what the club management is thinking ?

Reply #883511 | Report this post

Justsayin  
Two years ago

and yes I am new here. Just created an account to vent about whats is happening to the team I supported for years

Reply #883512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Yes, clear bias by heal in this game. Cost him a win for sure.

Reply #883514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Didn't Nakkasoglu foul out? I'm not saying Heal did a good job because he had another shocker but maybe that one's not on him.

Reply #883621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Time for Steph Reid to get the start at Townsville , just as able at the point as Sutton and her defence is close to the best for any guard in the league.

Slow starts and turnovers are killing Townsville.

Reply #883627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

^^ hear hear! Seebolm always waits to long to sub Reid in, the game changes in their favour almost immediately every time. Why not start her and have that forward momentum from the beginning.

Reply #883682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Probably because they have no third realiable pg.

Reply #883684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Listen to heals ramblings on the basketball show, just own up to the fact you stink, don't make excuses and have add ons like it’s a 3 year process.

Reply #883698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I can accept being realistic about a weakened team vs a stronger team. I can't accept the Sydney import debacle and the way he dodged the issue when it was raised.

Reply #883699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

How did Heal dodge the issue?

Reply #883721 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:25 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754