Scout
Two years ago

JJ's v United

Impressive win by the Jackjumpers.

On the road against the money team!

Topic #49715 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Not even respected enough to get a thread until it was over.

Good onya JJs
Huge win

Reply #884242 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

It just shows the league is healthy if every team can win against any team

Reply #884243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Great win, they don't have the deepest bench though do they.

Reply #884244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Melbourne had Jack White and Ariel Hukporti out.

Reply #884245 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

JackJumpers had Stewie out

Reply #884247 | Report this post

Narendra  
Two years ago

Even with white out, melb dtill had by far the better players on the court, so that can't even be used as an excuse.

Reply #884249 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Not even respected enough to get a thread until it was over.
NBL discussion in general seems to have really dried up. Not much happening here, OzHoops died years ago, Twitter used to be super active and is now pretty quiet as well.

Reply #884250 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Knew the excuses re United would be front and centre, they should have enough depth to cover a couple against a first year team.

Yep the Jackjumpers may not have depth - but the deserve respect .

Reply #884251 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

NBL discussion in general seems to have really dried up. Not much happening here, OzHoops died years ago, Twitter used to be super active and is now pretty quiet as well.

Is it happening on Facebook these days or just not happening?

Reply #884254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Yes JJs do deserve respect, nice to see the import do better, might have been told to get going or see ya.
Jack White is the athletic, tough beast that Melbourne rely on or they become average.

Reply #884260 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

No idea. A lot of people moved on - Tom Read is in the US doing whatever he's doing, Hendo doesn't seem to follow the NBL at all anymore, PK is in Tassie doing football, And the Foul became obsolete once media coverage improved, Greer is busy running the Phoenix, Santamaria is obviously employed by the league's media department...

You need to sign up to post here now, which seems to be an obstacle for some, and obviously OzHoops just went unmoderated for years before eventually going offline entirely and just never picked up once it came back.

I guess in large part it's big enough now that it no longer has the grassroots/community feel that it once had, so you don't have as much (any?) fan-run media anymore, it's just the official stuff and then casuals who just follow their own team, while anyone with an actual clue and any amount of dedication has been snapped up by a bigger entity.

Reply #884262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Unfortunately KR to many idiots here have made it easy to lose interest

Reply #884268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I personally blame the lack of game threads here on the absence of Jack Toft.

Reply #884269 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

"Jack White is the athletic, tough beast that Melbourne rely on or they become average."

Yeah they were so average last season winning the NBL without Jack White. Such an average team

Reply #884271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

The idiots is what makes this site worthwhile, change my mind.

Reply #884273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Um, I don't know if you noticed Sixers fan but this Melbourne side is nothing like last season side, Landale for a start, Hopson are just two that come to mind. White is there backbone.

Reply #884276 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Defence and belief from Jackjumpers very impressive.

Did not hear much when Magnay didn't play last time these two teams met......

Reply #884277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

"Is it happening on Facebook these days or just not happening? "

I've been following NBL on this site for over 10 years. I rarely post anything but began following this forum to read the views of the various fans around the NBL who regularly posted here. Many of them were way more knowledgeable than me and quite a few were actively involved with different clubs. As someone who is just a 36ers fan, with no other basketball involvement, it was a good way to broaden my knowledge and understanding of the NBL and other people who follow it.

I lost a lot of interest over the last 3-4 years as most NBL discussion threads rapidly degenerated into name-calling among a few posters, while game threads were derailed by excessive and ultimately pointless ref-bashing by mostly the same few posters. It became too difficult to filter out the useless and uninformative posts from those that were thoughtful or otherwise interesting.

Curiously, while there are fewer posts and fewer posters this season, I've actually found them less negative, more enjoyable and more interesting. So well done to the folks who are still on here and posting regularly.

Reply #884284 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

good post anon 284

Reply #884288 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

"this Melbourne side is nothing like last season side"

Lual-Acuil is playing as good as Landale was

Agada is having a better season than Hopson (14ppg vs 12ppg, 6rpg vs 3rpg, more steals and less turnovers)

Dellavedova better than McCarron

They also added Newley and Hukporti.

Sorry champ this team is better than last season

Reply #884289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Delly better than McCarron? That's debatable.

Reply #884292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

You are kidding me, JLA as good as Landale, lmao. The team is not as balanced as last season, mate you might have to watch more game other than Sixers. Jack White is a gun.

Reply #884297 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"Delly better than McCarron? That's debatable."

LOL. On what planet is that debateable?

Anyway, Jack Jumpers were persistent and solid in all areas today, getting a win that no one would have reasonably expected. United didn't even play particularly badly, Jumpers were just solid, and kept coming at them and weathered the storm.

Reply #884300 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

I personally blame the lack of game threads here on the absence of Jack Toft. I looked it up in my lexicon, "Toft" is another way of saying white or "White".

Seems funny that since Jack White's back on court, Jack Toft is no-longer posting, hmmmmm?!

Reply #884305 | Report this post

Perthworld’s cousin  
Two years ago

If this were a Perth thread it'd be getting more clicks. Nobody cares about United, and even less about Sydney (so it seems).

Reply #884307 | Report this post

Narendra  
Two years ago

"You're kidding me , jla as good as landale lmao"- well statistically there seems to be barely any difference between the 2.

Reply #884333 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

JJ are my new favourite team...you play with spirit...it's not the size of the donk but the fight in the dog that matters.. JJ give it all.. thoseangry ants pack a wham bag..

Reply #884336 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

NBL discussion in general seems to have really dried up. Not much happening here, OzHoops died years ago, Twitter used to be super active and is now pretty quiet as well

There is a general trend on the world wide web of reduced traffic on traditional message boards irrespective of subject matter. Younger users prefer using apps and visual media so aren't interested in this type of format. The problem is the newer platforms aren't replacing the content found here because they don't support open discussion because users can block one another or they are simply posting photos/videos with short comments/no text at all.

Also specific to the NBL is the fact a lot of supporters aren't lifers and eventually disappear unlike football code fanatics. Very transient fans in other words and now they aren't being replaced by new users because the forum format is viewed as a dinosaur. It's hardly scientific but going off of the nicknames on Hoops I can count on two hands the true old schoolers who have stuck around the past two decades since online NBL discussion first boomed. There was a time where between all of the competing sites even by skimming there was too much to read.

Reply #884337 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

JJ's shot the lights out early.

But it was their fightback after surrendering the lead that was most impressive.

United lacks scoring depth- that was obvious, with only CG, JLA and occasionally Delly troubling the scorers.

United missed White and Hukporti- Okwera was exposed by McIntosh early, hence why he didn't return in 2nd half. -8 in 2 minutes, 17 seconds, ouch. This league is more even than people think, take 2 players out and it evens things up.

Reply #884341 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Need's to be asked:

Where are the anons who have been laying the boots into Roth for months, with cheapshot after cheapshot?

I am sure they will be back on here when the JJ's have a loss - which as 1st-year club will happen as they chase consistency.

As Roth said before the season everyone loves you when you are winning but that changes quickly once a couple of losses come along.

I'm the first to admit the JJ's roster does not have the talent of other clubs and the recruiting could have been better. However some acknowledgement of the improvement of players, the buy in of the whole roster, the D they are playing and now how they are trusting each other and getting shots in the right spots could be handy from the anons on here who pop up for a cheapshot out of context.

Reply #884343 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

I have not been a fan of Roth's "style" (as seen on the screen) but am rapidly becoming a fan of his team's results. Especially with his 4 consecutive wins including front-line contenders. His team is not that talented, have no traditions to live up to, have never played together, low expectations (1st year and all that) and performed like a seasoned competitor so far. Currently sitting in 5th, above Sydney, Cairns, Adelaide, Brisbane and NZ (in that order), the JJ's are just half a game off 4th spot and with a higher pts% that 4th placed Illawarra. Makes Illawarra's game v SEM more of a must-win for the Hawks, tonight!

Reply #884346 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

What do you mean by "Roths style" RobT? Just curious, his initial defensive focus, demeanor on the sideline, exhubarence after a win?

The one area he is open to criticism is the makeup of the roster and getting open looks to players like McVeigh that has now changed.

Would not rule play offs out but think they will be continuing to focus on how they are playing each game.

Getting Mika Vikona to hang around would be great as well.

Reply #884347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

What is Vukona actually doing for the Jacks? Apart from being one of four assistants on the bench each game.

Reply #884350 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Good question anon - he is role is titled Basketball Operations Consultant, Roth talked about having him onboard to assist with building culture (broad term I know). Loved the way he used to play - not sure what his Statement of Duties actually says and what he does with the team though!

Whatever he is doing it works! When he has been with the team they have had W's, apparently he is outa here for a while.

Reply #884351 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

Scout, I have nothing that I can point fingers at (and I don't).
Maybe as simple as "demeanor on the sideline". Just as you can like or not like a hairdo when you see it for the first time [that's specifically why I added, "(as seen on screen)"].

"(his) exhubarence after a win?"
No, I love that!

"The one area he is open to criticism".
I really meant no criticism of Roth. In fact, with hindsight, I even think that Perth may have been better off promoting Roth to HC rather than engaging Morrison.
And this is not a crit of Perth. I fully understand their decision to do that. A highly reputed NBA coaching identity v your current assistant. Almost a no-brainer.
Only thing is that the Wildcats, up until their most recent win v SEM, were experiencing some unaccustomed inconsistencies and not much domination of anyone. Still (always) a good strong team but nowhere near the power-house they have been for (nearly) ever. A consequence of Morrison's NBA style he is (apparently) introducing to the Wildcats? Morrison seemed to ignore everything Wildcats and to impose a "my way", the "NBA way", and attitude. Roth would have (may have?) retained lots of what Gleeson had well and truely established and added his own stuff to the existing play book.
Strength-to-strength or strength-to-zero-to-rebuild with new system in place?

"Getting Mika Vikona to hang around would be great as well."
Yeah! THAT is a no-brainer! Knowing more of Mika Vikona than I do of Scott Roth, it would not surprise to find out that Vikona has a lot to do with the "locker-room influence" and overall team attitude.

Reply #884357 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Two years ago

JJ playing with alot of spirit! I agree with LV...

"But it was their fightback after surrendering the lead that was most impressive"

Once Melbourne took the lead in the fourth I thought they were going to fold like a deck chair, but found a way to hang tight and grind out a tough win. Definitely playing with a stack of energy and belief! Hopefully they can continue to be this competitive for the rest of the season.

Reply #884359 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Cheers RobT - was not meaning to be defensive, just asking!

Reply #884361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Good win to the JJ's. Gutsy. Without 2 players in their team United should still have won. Next time eh. Gutsy W as I said. Why take the NS on the road if he isn't gonna play? Does Roth really need 4 assistants? How much better would the JJ's be if the russian was replaced with someone who can play!!

Reply #884363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

"Knowing more of Mika Vikona than I do of Scott Roth, it would not surprise to find out that Vikona has a lot to do with the "locker-room influence" and overall team attitude."

This was the worst decision by the Breakers was letting guys like Vukona go.

Reply #884364 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

When is Goulding going to stop sooking, throwing his head back and whinging to the refs.

Yep great player but geeeez he carries on

Reply #884365 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

He has been doing that since the Gold Coast Blaze days.

Reply #884366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Yes he has and who really cares. He gets the job done. How many other players in the NBL do the same thing. Oh coaches too.

Reply #884374 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Goulding would be a better player if he stopped flopping / whinging and carrying on the way he does.

Reckon he is up there with the worst amongst players and coaches. To say 'he gets the job done' is a copout.

Wouldn't hurt to show a bit of humility occasionally, some might value the way he acts.....

Reply #884377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

The sad thing about it is that he's such a classy player (on both ends now too) he doesn’t need to act like that. His shooting has been insane this year at times and he is definitely a player I’d put in the unlucky to not be in the NBA bucket. But I can’t stand his flopping and sooking.

Reply #884379 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Totally agree anon - he is a gun now at both ends. Does need to whinge continually, that along with the exaggerated flopping is a tad sad.

Reply #884380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Bubbles behaviour yesterday was embarrassing. Acted like a spoilt 3 year old he's better than that . And his defence is ordinary at best

Reply #884394 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

JackJumpers are in 4th now thanks to tonight's Hawks loss.

Reply #884408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

In Roth we trust. WIN IT All.

Reply #884411 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

Firstly I have taken way too long to appreciate Jack White's game but I think he’s an out and out stud and the commentators will bang on about him the same way they do about Creek before too long... had he been a Jackjumper then he’d be their undisputed best player and he’s absolutely what they need still even though they are in the 4.

When Bubbles was at Blaze I was a big fan of his and I was so kissed off when DeLeon was signed and despite Harvey being injured, Goulding wasn’t getting much opportunity and I still liked him at the Tigers but this CG43 and talk about the swagger and Dwayne Russell blowing his load over a 3 point shot and the terrible flopping has made me have no respect for his game anymore… seeing him sook it up against Jackjumpers and focus on him doing so was a worse look for the NBL than the Hodgson slaps as Gaze and Copeland are telling us on The Jump that Goulding is too couple of players in the league and he’s acting like that and he is pretty much the poster child of the league… other codes would find that embarrassing as do we too by the sounds of it

Reply #884425 | Report this post

CT  
Two years ago

Goulding has been slightly less of an annoying pr*ck in the last few years as he's taken on more of a leadership role in the club, but he does seem to revert to the flopping, whinging stereotype that he used to be when things are going wrong. I wonder what kind of an effect that has on younger players on the team and on team culture at United generally. Maybe United need to get Vukona in instead.

Reply #884445 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Two years ago

I agree, CT, he actually seemed to grow up and lose his annoying habits over the last few years. He actually became watchable.

Reply #884447 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

Vukona is about to announce Free Agency so that he can work with all 10 NBL clubs.

Every team could do with an occasional dose of Vukona!

Reply #884448 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

good listen:

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=955575&fbclid=IwAR2ROc6vmjvh9LzQd9qYdITqLBNzmU-I8MGpjZc_VatxwSfU1gEFBuJKVUM

Reply #884449 | Report this post

Kas  
Two years ago

So Goulding overreacted to the fouls being called - yes he said in the press conference that he shouldn't have behaved that way - but to say it was worse than Hodgson's slaps? are you serious??

And we all know that the biggest flopper in the league is Wagstaff. No contest.

Reply #884457 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

CG is a worse flopper than Wagstaff by a mile.

Do you remember him falling into a heap when Gary Ervin 'kneed' him in the man area?

He had the audacity to get up straight away when it was called and started winking to his team mates.

Reply #884463 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

I get Kneed there, and I'd be winking too, with both eyes.

Reply #884466 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

JJ's early success is a good news story for the NBL I don't think anyone would've had that roster being 6-6 after 12 games and sitting 4th on the ladder. Incredible really that roster had wooden spoon written all over it.

Surely Scott Roth early leader for COTY honours, he's making lemonade out of lemons.

Reply #884486 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Yeah they've been impressive, and agree re: Roth at this point. A lot of it is guys like McVeigh/Magnay finally finding some form and excellent performances from Magette, but Roth has his team buying in and they are getting contributions from fringe guys and castaways that a lot of folks (myself included for some of them) thought didn't deserve roster spots.

Reply #884487 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Even then Magette hasn't been very impressive at all he's shooting woefully and he's meant to be their main import and Magnay has only shown glimpses really I don't think he's actually playing much better than he did in Perth but he does have that spring back that he was missing last season. MiKyle McIntosh up until their last game was probably the worst performing import this season too.

Good to see McVeigh kicking on too the Sixers, in their wisdom effectively ushered him towards the door because Mojave King was coming in lol

Reply #884488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Yes they have made me eat humble pie, still not happy that a player like Weeks gets a two year contract ahead of local Tasmanian like Lachlan Barker.

They have done exceptionally well all the same.

Reply #884489 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Magette is a past first Point Guard, something you do not see very often as an import to the NBL. Part of the reason he was recruited was to get the ball to Magnay and run the team, Roth has said this quite clearly before the season started. There was no one dropping shots early and he shouldered some of this early with a bad percentage trying to get the w's his shooting percentage has improved as has his over all game again this is not his major focus as a player who plays the 1 spot.

He looks better now Magnay's play has improved, his shooting has also improved but that is not his focus his focus is to run the team which he does very well. I rate him - as a basketball purist it is refreshing to see a player improve the whole team instead of make it all about him (could name some other players from other teams but it would be to obvious)

It has taken a while for JJ's to trust each other = Adams would have taken the shot down the stretch against United instead of passing to McVeigh for the 3 that sealed the game earlier in the year.

Talent of other teams may win out over the season but damn they play smart.

Yep would have been good to have Lachlan Barker on the roster - agreed.

Reply #884498 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

Zodiac 95% of your post, regardless of what the topic is, you have to attack the sixers in some way. It is pretty sad you can't get that chip off your shoulder.

You're acting like McVeigh is having a breakout year when so far it is the opposite. His last 3 games have been great but prior to that his last 9 games he has been averaging 5ppg. McVeigh would be on twice the money of King. I am hoping McVeigh can be consistent with his recent strong games.

Reply #884506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

McVeigh still struggling defensively at four spot as well. He certainly has lifted of late though.

Reply #884550 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Good to see McVeigh kicking on too the Sixers, in their wisdom effectively ushered him towards the door because Mojave King was coming in lol

Do you know this for a fact or just speculation?

I said at the end of last season that I am happy for McVeigh to stay but if he wanted to walk then don't go into a bidding war.

I still feel that way.

Up until the last 2 games McVeigh had regressed.

He has the potential to be a good player and seems to have toned down his in game bravado (because he has done SFA), but so far I don't see any huge improvement to warrant regretting even if King was the replacement.

Reply #884556 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:52 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754