carter
Two years ago

Young Players tearing their ACLs

i may be wrong but i have seen and heard that a significant amount of young athletes have torn their ACLs in the past 12 months. A huge amount that it is quite crazy. thinking back to my day you rarely had someone you knew tear the ligament and in the past 12 months i have heard of at least 10 U25 year olds tearing it. many playing at the highest level and decent players for a madder of fact.

what is so different now since back in the day and why has there been such a big increase in tears, it just does not seem normal. you would also think those in NBL1 programs and above would be given preventative measures for major injuries like knees and ankles.

do you know anyone who has torn it, how old? how bad? have they returned yet? what level do they play at?

Topic #49726 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I know a couple that did there's last year in under 18s. Imo I think the covid break had a part to play. They both were training, both basketball and fitness, both were done in first couple of games back.
Both have resumed but still mentally worried about doing it again, as you would expect when young kids find out they're not invincible.
Saw a panel show about sports injuries and young people. Q angle is interesting and explains how females are more prone to ACL injury.
But all sporting programs should educate athletes and have appropriate strength and conditioning taught by qualified people.

Reply #884594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

You can add COVID and the lack of training and conditioning

Reply #884595 | Report this post

anon  
Two years ago

I tore mine many years ago - before there was any procedure to repair - and have been quite aware of others having that injury over the years. I recall quite a number of footballers having knee ligament problems and just disappearing with out much publicity. Don't recall many in basketball though and I coached for more than 20 years.

Reply #884596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Strength and conditioning as a whole is a joke in Australia.
Sporting organisations pay peanuts, then get peanuts and wonder why their athletes have increased rates of injury, especially in womens sport.
Extensive lockdowns haven't helped either I’d say.

Reply #884598 | Report this post

carter  
Two years ago

yes i know compared to other countries Australia's strength & conditioning along with rehabilitation is near non existent. - in saying that i have seen social media reels of a few Private Trainers working with athletes to get back to the game. not as many as there should be thought. covid played a factor for sure but the players i have known to tear theirs are the ones who did not stop putting in the extra sessions to stay fit and healthy throughout lockdowns. Take Nik Desantis, Taylor Prenzler, and, Isabella Woosnam, that is only to name a couple a number of ACLs were torn at the U16, U18 and U20 championships is year too. All hard working committed young athletes at the peak of their performance when theirs tore. will be interesting to see if they continue to play afterwards with the huge mental blockage, a lot of young athletes find the 12 months daunting and too long and go onto other things in their lives which they didn't experience before due to always having sport on.

to add to all of that Joe Ingles doing his and been traded, how is that for treatment during what would be one of the most frustrating weeks of his life i am sure.

Reply #884988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Seen and heard? Please explain.

Reply #884994 | Report this post

carter  
Two years ago

seen and heard???

just wanting to know why clubs and programs are not implementing preventative measures to keep their players playing?

seems like common sense

Reply #884996 | Report this post

anon  
Two years ago

Preventative S&C only helps so much. If you are born with loose joints nothing will prevent it in the right circumstances. I stand to be corrected as I am not a medical person.

Reply #884998 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:04 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754