Scout
Two years ago

Slow Joe to Portland....

Not sure he will end up there but trade has occurred even with him out for the year:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10022010-report-nickeil-alexander-walker-to-jazz-joe-ingles-to-blazers-in-3-team-trade

Topic #49728 | Report this topic

Cram  
Two years ago

If he isnt moved elsewhere as part of any other deals, I'd say the Blazers will just buy him out and then he can go rehab wherever he wants

Reply #884603 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Two years ago

I think its good odds he re-signs in Utah in the offseason for a minimum deal for one last crack. I just can't see him uprooting his family to play with anyone else in the NBA at this point in his career.

Reply #884605 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Yeah at worst a minimum deal with the Jazz would be a no brainer for them. He's well liked by the team and fans and can still be a contributor to a playoff run.

Reply #884606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

His contract has been traded. I suspect he won't be going anywhere. As mentioned above, almost unbackable odds that he resigns in Utah.

But who knows, if somewhere like Brooklyn or OKC (Giddey mentor?) came through with 5 mil a year something could change, he's only human.

Reply #884608 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Ingles in recent days on the chance of being traded:

"If I'm able to get someone back that would help them make a push for the end of the year, I understand that. I’m not going to sit here and be sour and upset."

Reply #884611 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Yeah he's a true team man and wants to see his boys do well. If the Jazz were to somehow get themselves clicking again and win a championship I'm sure they'd offer him a ring

Reply #884612 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

Any indications of how Joe feels about the trade? I know it's common-place in the NBA, but with Joe having played only for the Jazz, for all those years, is he ok with it?

Reply #884613 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

He doesn't have much choice it's not liking he's going to play for Portland he's out injured for the rest of the season. Most suspect at some point in the off-season or perhaps early next season he'll re-sign with the Jazz.

Reply #884614 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Yeah I doubt he goes to Portland at all. They've really just acquired his contract.

Does anyone know what the deal is though for non contracted players using a team's resources (for example staff and facilities) for rehab?

EG as I said above, I assume the Blazers to buy him out of his deal and for Joe to stay in Utah. Can he then be at official Jazz facilities as a FA?

Reply #884615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Why would he take a buyout. He isn't going to play so will just do his rehab somewhere and become FA. He's literally just dollars in a contract, not anything else now.

Reply #884625 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

They'll buy him out (i.e. give him all his money) and release him to clear a spot on the roster.

Cram, I think when that stuff happens the NBA kind of turn a blind eye to it he'll probably use the Jazz facilities to rehab if they intend to re-sign him next season.

Reply #884626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Nbl for sure 22/23

Reply #884627 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Zodiac that would be the best result yeah.

Actually the other thing I was thinking of, I know after the Jerry Stackhouse trade from Dallas a number of years back (where he said he would just be cut and go back and sign in Dallas) they changed the rule to the team trading a guy couldn't reacquire them for a year. Do we know if this is still a calendar year or perhaps resets in the off season now?

Reply #884631 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Yeah I don't think they're allowed to re-sign him this season aside from what would be the point but the NBA did put a rule in to to stop teams from playing silly buggers with that stuff i.e. trading a player immediately released by new team and then re-signing with the team he just came from. I know that can't be done in the same season anymore.

Reply #884632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I think if you're released or paid out you can't return, but if your contract expires in offseason you can return, but I wouldn't put money on it.
But he's still probably going to be rehabbing for first half of next season or so. Might be of interest to a contender, or the way he talks about family he might just retire rather than chase a spot somewhere.
I just have feeling he's going to get added in deal with Dame for Simmons and Harris. Dame goes to contender and Sixers can sign Harden in offseason as FA outright.

Reply #884634 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

It would make sense that if your contract would have expired in the off season then you're free to sign anywhere including your old team. Stopping teams from trading a guy, expecting him to be bought out and then signing him back up in the same season is a good thing though for league integrity.

Reply #884635 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Two years ago

Could someone explain to me why Portland would want Joe?

Reply #884636 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

They don't, they just want his expiring contract for one of two reasons

- As a trade chip in a bigger deal
- to free up cap space for next season

Portland don't want to be good this season. Trading for players who cant play also helps that.

Reply #884638 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

They don't he's an expiring contract, they're trying to cut payroll to both rebuild and likely to sell the team plus they until the trade deadline they could flip into another trade. If he's still at Portland after the deadline they'll likely release him.

Reply #884639 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Two years ago

Ah I see, so they're basically trading players who have lengthier contracts for Joe to free up cap space?

Cheers
BG

Reply #884647 | Report this post

Toddy  
Two years ago

It's bloody complicated. The bloke is traded to Portland when he can't even go on the court.

Reply #884648 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Two years ago

It just means Portland is paying his wages, not the Jazz.

He won't be leaving Salt Lake City for a long time, and possibly won't at all if he resigns next season...

I mean that's 8 months away, he could possibly only finish rehab by then.

Portland signalled with the Powell trade they are blowing it up.

Makes things interesting with Lillard....

Now, if the sixers can convince them for Simmons and Harris for Lillard, freeing Harris' money may get them Harden in FA, instead of a trade

Embiid, Harden and Lillard could work

Reply #884650 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:54 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754