Aussie
Two years ago

Casper Ware in discussions to sign with Adelaide 36ers

Per an article via ESPN.com.au

Both sides are trying to get this across the line.

Thoughts?

Topic #49824 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Two years ago

Waste of time and money. Season's long gone at this point.

Reply #886622 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Only way this works is if they fully intend and likely to be able to achieve a multi year deal which has Casper playing next season as well.

Reply #886623 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

"Waste of time and money. Season's long gone at this point."

Cool so just go with the current team and lose every game and then lose lots more members as a result, sounds like a great idea. They are being proactive (too late in terms of the season) but at least investing to keep the fans interested and to see if he will fit into the team

Reply #886624 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Casper is still an excellent player, not as good as he was as age has caught him a bit. If they could get him at a reasonable cost, see what he brings and if it's good resign for next season. He has played with Mccaron as well. Great team man as well and entertainer. Love to see him back in the nbl, obviously has left Russia.

Reply #886625 | Report this post

Hooper  
Two years ago

Adelaide have the bargaining power, as Casper is in Russia, so could be cheaper.
I agree it only makes sense if they can lock in a second season, because he's familiar with McCarron also.

Reply #886626 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

I know teams are likely pretty coy about what stages a player signing is at in most professional sports. Being in talks can mean a lot of things and they don't like to give much away, but if its the case that Adelaide are still only negotiating with an import, what are they waiting for? Here you have a situation where a player is available and I bet you Adelaide are trying to low ball him as much as they can. What needs to be negotiated if Casper wants to return to the comforts of Australia, and Adelaide are looking for a PG import?

I just get the feeling that's what going on with Adelaide after they didn't manage to sign Hopson. They like to sniff around but are not prepared to get a deal done. If money is an issue, that's no worries, but why not go for someone affordable a long time ago?

I don't think Ware is a remarkable signing or anything, so don't think I'm just desperate to get him at any cost, its just simply the fact that the way this has been reported indicates to me that Adelaide are just mucking around with a player like that, but aren't prepared to just get it done. This player should have been signed a month ago.

Again, it's not because its Ware, but they could do lots worse than Ware, it's just that suspicion that they're messing around and making it harder than it has to be. If he's the guy you want, get the deal done and have him playing this weekend. If you're not prepared to pay that money, move in another direction and stop wasting time. This type of player could have been signed if they're actually not interesting in paying for Hopsons and Wares.

Reply #886627 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Caspar Ware isn't going to change this team overnight - he is a bit of a chucker and slightly overrated. BUT he's a better point guard than McCarron is, and the fact they're talking to him shows me that they see the big problem they have at point guard and they're seeking to fix it. It's the first sign of brains I've seen from the club, and maybe a result of JVG leaving.

I'd happily take on Ware and I think (hopefully) they're still looking for that Levi Randolph type player. Adelaide could really do with losing Hannahs and Withers - either, or. And by the skillset of Ware it makes me think Hannahs may want to have his bags packed, potentially.

Reply #886628 | Report this post

Jatz  
Two years ago

Why bother. Decision was made to go. Why come back? Things didn't work out for him elsewhere. He should show some pride & not use the NBL he decided to leave as a fall back position. Good for 36ers but for the man himself.... a joke

Reply #886629 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Players have short earning capacity, you go where the money is, as it's turned out Russia are in a war and he’s available, it’s got FA to do with where he played previously or where he went to.

Reply #886630 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

CJ and Casper would be a good fit as well.

Reply #886631 | Report this post

Gk82  
Two years ago

Is Adelaide short of bricks? Just asking

Reply #886634 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Two years ago

So hypothetically if Russian clubs are refusing to grant transfers to players who have fled the country,
under the current situation wouldn't FIBA just grant the transfer anyway?

Reply #886635 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I've been critical of a lot of our signings but landing a seriously big fish like Casper Ware would be huge especially if we could lock him in for a second season. This season is virtually over but Ware gives us something we haven't had in a long-time.

Ware copped a bit of shit for his past couple of years in Sydney but a lot of people don't get unlike the vast majority of imports or players in general he plays both sides of the ball. Due to his seriously good almost elite level defence his offence suffered and at times last season most of it really he was buggered and chucking a lot of bricks.

If we said to him give us some really good defence but we only need about 15ppg out of you as opposed to 20ppg he would be an absolute weapon. I'll believe this if and when it happens but this would be a massive coup for the Sixers and would straighten the whole team right up giving us that elite PG we need and would allow McCarron to move over to a more suitable SG spot.

Reply #886636 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

On the surface, the roster deficiency was at centre, but generally what they're missing is the hero. Someone who wants to be the king of the team.

All well and good throwing money at McCarron and Humphries, but they're not really that guy. And it's not quite DJ going by the results. It's a team of role players for the most part.

Reply #886638 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Two years ago

yup concur.
forget the exact words, but
DJ said in the post game presser Friday night that they lacked someone to take that final shot.

Reply #886640 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

I think Dusty thinks he's the man to take all the shots.
I’d get Casper for Dusty and Randolph (if available) as the last import.

Reply #886643 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

"Funnily", DJ should be the one getting constant shots in the fourth - offensively skilled and usually converts well at the stripe if fouled. Not quite a killer though.

Reply #886646 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"Why bother. Decision was made to go. Why come back?"

You've not been watching the news lately have you?

"Things didn't work out for him elsewhere. "

He's been leading his team in scoring but anyway...

We can all say his last few seasons with the Kings weren't great but I think we can agree that he's a player of the standard Adelaide don't have right now. Even a flawed Caspar Ware is arguably the best player on Adelaide if the deal is done. Second only to maybe Bairstow

Reply #886647 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

As a neutral supporter i would love to see him back in the league. He's still a very good two way player why wouldn't Adelaide want him? Agree that he needs to be signed on a multi year deal as this season is shot

Reply #886650 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

I am glad we are looking to get someone like Ware on board, but I think we need more help at the front court than we do a closer.

I am on board if Ware were to sign for a couple of seasons as other has mentioned but it does raise other questions / issues.

While I remain respectful of others' opinions pertaining to switching 4K McCarron to his 'preferred' position at the 2, I am concerned that we will be revisiting the same arguments again later , ie. MM is not a real SG.

McCarron is currently scoring at 33.1 FG% and 26.7% 3PT%, that is actually worse than Dusty Hannahs @ 44.1% and 27.9%.

McCarron is actually achieving career high assists (5.7 APG to be 4th in the league), more than when he was surrounded by the likes of CG43, Hopson, Landale and Barlow. The combination of both leans me towards he is more of a PG and an SG, and I really wish to avoid the future bitching that he is not hitting his shots 'coz he a combo'.

Reply #886653 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Two years ago

seems we had to have discussions with more imports that we did coaches before we landed CJ. 6ers clearly not a place anyone any good wants to be

Reply #886657 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Let's get it done.. need some injection of possitivity to get some semblance of action and progress for future. .. a big signing to convert the nay sayers ....

Reply #886662 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Wait till next year, start again with better imports.

Reply #886663 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Ware probably wouldn't be affordable for the Sixers in the off-season this is likely the "get me the F out of Russia" super saver discount being applied that's why we need to try and lock him in for a second season now.

Reply #886665 | Report this post

Jorge  
Two years ago

signing an import once the season is over with is such an Adelaide thing. You need a second year in the contract for it to make any sort of sense

Reply #886666 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Ware definitely makes the Sixers better. Very crowded backcourt though, it's going to be tough to find mins for Dufelmeier and Hannahs in particular I think, assuming a Ware-McCarron-Dech backcourt. And King probably slips into DNP-CD territory.

Reply #886670 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"Let's get it done.. need some injection of possitivity to get some semblance of action and progress for future. .. a big signing to convert the nay sayers .."

This signing wont 'convert' nay sayers. I think the situation is pretty dire. It's one small step in the right direction but I doubt anyone is going to go from 'they suck' to 'oh my god, I have to go to a game!' on the back of Caspar Ware.

"Ware definitely makes the Sixers better. Very crowded backcourt though, it's going to be tough to find mins for Dufelmeier and Hannahs in particular I think, assuming a Ware-McCarron-Dech backcourt. And King probably slips into DNP-CD territory."

Send Hannahs home, use that money to put towards a big or swing man. King aint going to the NBA ever and I am not sure who started that bandwagon but it stop here.

LoveBrocker, McCarron falls into the situation a lot of Australian players unfortunately do, in that he is not really any position. I think he's been misused most of his career. He feels like an undersized 3 man who can do a little bit of everything. He's not a point guard. He's not a shooting guard. He would be an excellent glue guy off the bench but that is not what he'll ever be used for. He provides a bit of everything but at the same time he is nowhere near as good as the league seems to rate him as. We have him now but I'd be grooming his as a super six man for the rest of his Adelaide stay. Unfortunate about the pay packet though!

Reply #886673 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Having a small scoring guard who can handle it a bit would be best option next to MM. Could even push Dech to the 3 in some matchups, imo his tenacity on defence is what Adelaide needed from the start.
I wonder if Hannah's could be bought out. It definitely isn't doing his reputation any good at the moment and would clear some playing time up for Dufelmeir and King. Would keep Withers as insurance, then go with frontline of DJ and Bairstow, with Sotto as backup.
I don't think fans would mind losing as much if we had a plan going forward instead of JVGs ideas every year. Biggest step to appeasing fans. Now just some hope. It would take a miracle to make playoffs, let's put a product on the floor that are going to fight for everything, if not, goodbye.
Just watching the non stop 3s and resulting bricks was tough, just took easy option most of the time there. And then after somehow making a run we let Cotton and co blow it out again. As commentary said, take away his 3 and deal with the lesser of 2 evils.

Reply #886675 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

What a absolute joke by the Adelaide 36ers. Their season is already done?

Why sign Casper Ware. It's just a waste of time and money. Unless NBL has a play-in tournament?

Reply #886687 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Mccaron doesn't earn sixth man money, he’s not called money making Mitch for no reason.

Reply #886690 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

This is looking dead in the water - Russian club unwilling to release him?

Reply #886764 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Newscorp's Matt Logue has reported Casper Ware’s deal with the Adelaide 36ers "is in doubt with his Russian club currently unwilling to release" him.
Surely we're at the point where FIBA can ignore what a Russian club is willing or unwilling to do.

Reply #886767 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Sanction the Russian club lol

Reply #886770 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

To be honest I never expected it to happen anyway. Seems we're getting fed a steady line of BS first Randolph, then Randle, then Hopson, then Ware who's next?

Reply #886771 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Surely we're at the point where FIBA can ignore what a Russian club is willing or unwilling to do."

That's not how FIBA works!

Reply #886772 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

It's the oldest trick in the book - when a club doesn't want to spend but needs to placate their fans they'll talk up potential signings in the media that will never happen. Got to look like you're trying even when you're not.

Reply #886773 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

People saying the club is leading people on. What's in it for Casper to do an article saying it’s close and tell a mate in the media it’s close?
Clearly would happen if he can get out of Russia.

Reply #886776 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I'm not really overly sure that an import PG and moving MM to SG is necessarily the optimal fit, I think they’d also be fine having a better SG import and keeping MM at PG, they may even try MM at SF.

But let’s say we can get Ware for rest of this season plus next season - and hopefully he’s still got health and talent to be a high level import in NBL.

Let’s also say that perhaps DJ is disengaged and wants out.

And let’s say GK is still game to spend big and guys like IH and CB are happy in Adelaide and we can leverage good will a little bit with those two.

Obviously DJs money would go towards Bairstow, imports.

C Humphries/Sotto
F Bairstow/Def Import
F Import (athletic wing)/Dech
G MM/King
G Ware/Duffelmeier

Have some real continuity in the team.

IH/Def Import provides that defensive big capability.
IH/CB/Sotto provides that offensive big capability.

Athletic import that’s a threat from long range.
Ware offers both offence and defence - provides a 1-2 punch with MM.

May decide to keep King for continuity, develop the kid, let him learn to be that athletic 3&D type of player.

Keep the rotation tight to 8 players - be reasonable with King/Sotto, don’t be throwing unnecessary minutes for sake of big rotation.

Reply #886782 | Report this post

Observer  
Two years ago

GK not keen to sign import for rest of season ,that's him he tries to defer signing imports and then likes of Randolph,Hopson and Ware get offered less .

Just play out the season ,another season not making finals appalling .

Reply #886822 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Matt Logue is reporting that Ware's Russian team is not releasing him.

So thats how it feels when is blocking you from getting the player you want.

Reply #886827 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Casper just signed with CSKA

Reply #887011 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Casey said during the coverage of last night's game that Ware would not be joining the team on the basis the club would not feel comfortable paying a Russian club a release fee of some kind.

It's interesting how Kelly is suddenly concerned with morality surrounding player transfers.

This is the issue with sanctions for me, that it impacts the innocent Russians and i dare say it will impact the existing poor the most. But not to expand too far into that.

To me, this has actually been a pathetic shambles from Adelaide. Talk was pre-season they would bring in import on needs basis, or as some believed, under the basis of having insurance for Humphries. He has been declared out for how long now? Adelaide acted far too late and slowly, and couldn't get a deal done with anyone they targeted.

They may as well have just gone with Randie if their chief concern was declining interest.

Not good enough Adelaide!

Reply #887013 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Calling BS on that. If Ware got an offer from CSKA I would say that's why he chose not to come to Adelaide.

Reply #887018 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Don't swallow Casey's spin Master Chief. He's basically a puppet of the Sixers and thus GK now I lost all respect for him when after we signed Bairstow he declared on 7 News that the Sixers have the most talented team in the league.

GK was obviously not willing to pay enough of a buyout hence why we missed out on Casper, it's got nothing to with political reasons.

Reply #887019 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Yeah I don't see Adelaide beating the kind of $$$ that CSKA can offer

Reply #887023 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Zodiac, Yes I do realise that, which is why I mentioned it to be odd that Kelly was suddenly concerned with these kinds of things. But at the same time, similar things are happening around the world, so it's not as illegitimate as most might think either.

KET, Yeah it's not an issue that Adelaide can't compete with top European clubs for players like Ware, the real issue is that they've found ways not to sign imports. Again, they supposedly went for the best available player (Too slowly, but not necessarily too late) and couldn't get the job done with either. Why didn't they just sign someone gettable over a month ago? They had no idea what kind of player they were looking for, although I did support the suggestion they needed a PG, and then try and pick up a local big, while just accepting the front court is what it is now without Humphries.

An import was never going to win them the championship, but there certainly seems to be lots of discontentment around the club, and there is still a long way to go in the season. Adelaide are not a particularly attractive team to watch, and although I think there is hope for CJ, they're not particularity well coached right now I have to admit. Bringing in an import just gives fans something to work with as I feel like it could be a long season still.

But again, they're an NBL team that just can't sign an import. I mentioned that I had that feeling the Ware deal would not materialise at the time it was being reported.

I just think Kelly rocks up to a Mercedes dealership with a budget for a Toyota, and then is surprised he can't buy a Mercedes.

I am certainly not fanatical about brining in an import this late, the real issue is the frustration at how incompetent the front office seems to be.

Reply #887027 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Two years ago

Isaac

"ewscorp's Matt Logue has reported Casper Ware's deal with the Adelaide 36ers "is in doubt with his Russian club currently unwilling to release" him.
Surely we're at the point where FIBA can ignore what a Russian club is willing or unwilling to do."

Is hoops now the sports section of The Betoota Advocate?

Copy Pasta “ ”
Me: “sounds right to me”

Reply #887052 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Two years ago

Try again

Copy Pasta: "ewscorp"
Me: “sounds right to me”

Copy Pasta fail, followed by auto cowreck. How's life again?

Reply #887055 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

There's no chance that Casper’s agent was only in discussions with the Sixers to try to pressure CSKA, was there? Or am I just being cynical?

Reply #887060 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

You're probably right Hoopie. Two things concerned me from the get go firstly that an elite talent like Casper Ware was somehow in the Sixers price range and secondly that he and his agent went so public with the negotiations which normally stay behind closed doors.

I assumed they did that just to put the heat on the Sixers to increase their offer but no NBL team let alone Adelaide can compete financially with CSKA one of the biggest and richest clubs in the world outside the NBA so in all likelihood we were probably just being played to squeeze a bit more out of CSKA from the get go.

Reply #887062 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754