Zodiac
Two years ago

Bendigo Breakers

The NZ Breakers are going to be playing another couple of 'home games' in Bendigo again this season vs SEM on April 10 and vs Sydney on April 12.

https://nbl.com.au/news/nbl-returns-to-bendigo

The NZ government will be opening the border to vaccinated Australians from 11:59pm on April 12 with no isolation requirements which will mean the Breakers will only be able to play two games actually at home this season.

Topic #49876 | Report this topic

Captain88  
Two years ago

Is this an attempt at humour?

Reply #887715 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

I highly doubt Breakers will play in NZ this season

Reply #887717 | Report this post

GordonG  
Two years ago

Two 'home' games in Cairns this week. v Bullets Thursday night and v Taipans on Sunday. Both closed-door games.

Reply #887719 | Report this post

Watto  
Two years ago

Only Australians can enter NZ without isolation at that time, so that would exclude imports right?

And anyone else feel that the NBL is just fucking over the Breakers just for fun now? They've known for a while that the Breakers will be playing the whole season on the road. I would have thought setting them up permanently in one location for their home games and try to at least market to expat Kiwi's would be the thing to do.

Instead, they're playing 'home' games all over the place with and without fans. It seems the only time their 'home' games have fans is when they're playing at the opposition's home venue!

Reply #887720 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Only Australians can enter NZ without isolation at that time, so that would exclude imports right?

Would that be people coming from Australia to New Zealand?

And anyone else feel that the NBL is just fucking over the Breakers just for fun now?

Yes indeed, the NBL colluded with the Chinese to eat as many bats as possible in November 2019 so that the Breakers wouldn't have home games, Tai Webster wouldn't take an experimental vaccination, and it entertains their long lived desire to watch the world burn.

I would have thought setting them up permanently in one location for their home games and try to at least market to expat Kiwi's would be the thing to do.

They were moved around last year because at different times VIC was in lockdown, as was NSW there was no time where one place could accommodate all teams coming to play them 'at home'.

This year the season started with the 'living with covid' strategy either not yet up or at its infancy, so again they were assigned safe places to play.

As to why their stadiums are empty, the NBL have stated it is cost prohibitive to have fans at their games (Vs Adelaide @ AA and Vs VJJ's @ MyState Bank Arena. being the exceptions to date).

This means that they know there aren't enough basketball supporting Cuzzy Bros that will come to the game, the one's that would manage to secure a ticket probably thought it was a Rugby game.

Reply #887723 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Two years ago

Good Friday - Breakers v JJs in Hobart but they aren't opening it up to fans??? They’d get 3000 to that without trying very hard.

Reply #887726 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Breakers, JackJumpers game will be open to fans. Unless New Zealand don't want fans.

I heard on the Cairns Taipans page that the Breakers chose not to have fans for their Cairns home games. Which is fair because you don’t want full house of the opposition. Breakers, Bullets game wouldn’t matter in my opinion.

Reply #887730 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I agree with Watta. The NBL needed to give the Breakers a permanent base to play their home games, rather then making them play all across Australia.

It makes sense why the Breakers have such a bad record. Nissan Arena would of been good place to have Breakers games. Heaps of Kiwis living in Queensland. NBL has really stuffed up this situation.

Reply #887731 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Which of these 2 scenarios do people think is more likely?
The NBL screwed Breakers and just sent them to different places for fun OR
The NBL sold games to different cities as way of assisting the breakers in funding their season?
Given that the Cairns games were showing MBA yesterday morning I suspect this was a late change, due to a deal being done. They haven't even announced them yet put a presser out for the bendigo games.

Reply #887733 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:12 pm, Mon 6 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754