Classified
Two years ago

Perth Wildcats - What's next

After missing the playoffs for the 1st time in 35 years, the Perth Wildcats might go through one of their most desperate offseasons yet! Scott Morrison's future is uncertain & Jesse Wagstaff to possibly retire, The wildcats need a big offseason

Topic #49997 | Report this topic

Classified  
Two years ago

Reply #890447 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Import-Norton-Zunic(dp)
Cotton-Local or SRP
Import-Travers-Shervill
Law-NS
Mathiang-Majok-HayesBrown(dp)

Reply #890448 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

This is the first time I've seen Wildcats lack competitive fire. They really just went through the motions for most of the year. They probably make the finals if they had Vic Law but I don't think anyone had them as serious contenders if they made it there. First off, I would get rid of Scott Morrison. If you have to pay off his contract, so be it. Rob Beveridge is proven in the NBL and no doubt would be chomping at the bid to coach again in the league. We know there have been controversies around him but I think he deserves another chance. The Wildcats also need an enforcer. Hodgson isn't an enforcer. Majok isn't an enforcer. They need their own Mika Vukona. It's also time for some of the old heads to move on - looking at you Wagstaff. The team needs some fresh blood and some athleticism. If Cotton gets naturalized Perth will be all the better for it, given more import options. But I don't think they can afford to 'wait and see' again, and get bitten as they did with the John Brown situation. They need to get their imports right from the start and get gelling. I'd usually say that Perth will figure it out, (because they always do) but under new management, and given this historic predicament, it's hard to say.

Reply #890449 | Report this post

Classified  
Two years ago

What if Cotton gets his citizenship?

Reply #890450 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

A big regroup, hopefully Cotton citizenship and booking a decent import big well in advance. Scomo shouldn't go anywhere as it's not his fault the underwhelming Bryce Cotton supporting cast didn't stand up when needed. I would be happy to never see another Travers double hesitation drive and panic, a Blanchfield 1 handed jump shot off the front of the rim or especially an offensive rebound with both of out bigs at the 3 point line MIA, over and over and over again.

Reply #890451 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

What's next.

The SPOON, lol.

Reply #890453 | Report this post

Classified  
Two years ago

Dunkman, I dont think so

Reply #890457 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Scomo shouldn't go anywhere as it's not his fault the underwhelming Bryce Cotton supporting cast didn't stand up when needed.
His entire offensive system was "give the ball to Cotton and have everyone else stand around and watch him go one on five", how on earth is it not his fault?

Reply #890459 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

You start at the top.

First of all get rid of the GM Mills and ScoMo.

SEG need to reassess everything and start over in year two.

Sort out Cotton's citizenship finally now that he can fly overseas since the WA border reopened. There should be no issues now post COVID closure.

Don't cheap out on imports since the local contingent is weak unless you raid other NBL sides, or do both.

Wagstaff to retire.

Reply #890463 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Sort out Cotton's citizenship finally now that he can fly overseas since the WA border reopened. There should be no issues now post COVID closure.
That bit is sorted, he's just waiting on the government now. Nothing the club can do.

Reply #890464 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Good.

Reply #890465 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I am really not sure why the government continues to stutter on Cotton's citizenship. I've known people who've been here 2-3 years and have got it. I really don't see what the hold up would be?

Reply #890467 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

Morrison wont be going anywhere just yet. Hutchie has already been quoted giving him support for next season. Why wouldn't he? His take down mission isn't fully complete yet. He surreptitiously divested his stake in Melbourne United. Then appointed a GM to deliberately make monumental fuck ups with roster signings and tardy administrative lodgements. Sign an incompetent coach that would almost certainly fail and miss the finals and in the process alienate fans and lose memberships. Next season will be the icing on the cake when Scomo pisses off Bryce so much he walks and signs with United. Once he's finished picking through the carcass of whats left of the once admired club culture he'll jump off the gravy train and reinvest in MU to assume dominance of the NBL for the next decade without needing to go through Perth to win the championship. Melbourne have systematically dismantled the wildcats organisation from the top down. No team could do it in 35 years on the floor so they infiltrated the club from the inside via corporate sabotage merely writing it off as a company loss when he sells for peanuts. Well played Melbourne United/SEG. It only took more than three decades but finally someone figured out how to take down the beast.

Reply #890468 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Some of you punters should write fairy tales, I know it's hard to handle but it happens in sports and life, things go wrong. Look at Manchester United, kings of England to mid average.
Get a grip.

Reply #890469 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I am really not sure why the government continues to stutter on Cotton's citizenship. I've known people who've been here 2-3 years and have got it. I really don't see what the hold up would be?

There's an entire thread about it:

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/48126-bryce-cotton-citizenship-progress/

You have the usual government delays plus throw COVID on top of it. I now recall Cotton finally satisfying the flying out of the country requirement during the pandemic by sitting in an empty room for a while - classic illogical red tape. That alone probably cost him another year (?) although I'm fatigued from following this never ending saga so somebody else can calculate the timeframe.

Reply #890471 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Some of you punters should write fairy tales, I know it's hard to handle but it happens in sports and life, things go wrong. Look at Manchester United, kings of England to mid average.
Get a grip.

That's the issue though - the Wildcats organisation is on track to somehow outpace even Manchester United in sheer incompetence.

Reply #890473 | Report this post

Monday Dech  
Two years ago

Bol the thought did run through my mind haha

Reply #890478 | Report this post

Monday Dech  
Two years ago

Apart from the obvious in signing quality big men PF and C as we got monstered and diced up in the key all year. Having wagstaff playing as a centre at times this year just showed the misplaced recruiting. Start with getting more depth of bench and developing youth. Bench points 17 pts v 38 pts yesterday tells the story, cats rely on too few to get things done

Reply #890482 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Coach Morrison is safe according to the owners so they havent even reviewed the causes of the failed season and assume its not the coaches fault.

By agreeing to keep Scomo they effectively put the blame at the players and not at the system the coach put in. Is the assumption new talent will fix the problems.

This reminds me of the Dean Demopoulos saga where he had a talented squad and failed both years in a row at United. Look at Illawara , with Goorjan its been finals two years straight.

The ownership is showing itself not to have deep pockets, they hesitated on John Brown (or Frazier replacement for most of the season) and are giving Morrison a free pass to miss finals next year instead of paying him out and finding a better tactical and cultural fit at the club.

Reply #890488 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

This reminds me of the Dean Demopoulos saga
Sign a coach because they have a fancy overseas resumé, with no idea whether they can coach FIBA ball.

Sign for talent first, rather than cohesion or culture.

End up with ego clashes and attitude problems, underperforming for the raw amount of talent on your roster.

Reply #890489 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

"The ownership is showing itself not to have deep pockets, "

About time.

Reply #890497 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Might as well fold. What good are the Wildcats without their streak?

Reply #890498 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

This reminds me of the Dean Demopoulos saga where he had a talented squad and failed both years in a row at United.

Depressingly this is our situation right now plus from what we've seen potentially a dud GM as well.

I recall a pre-season article where Hutchinson was quoted as saying something to the effect that Danny Mills was perfect for the role because he was a Perth local with NBA experience (which was low level). Translation: cheaper to hire and bedazzled by the acronym NBA.

Reply #890500 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

Danny Mills was perfect for the role because he needed a mole on the inside to infiltrate and destroy

Reply #890501 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

God damn Melburnians! (in City Wok guy's voice)

Reply #890502 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

The slow transition continues- United gradually replacing Perth as the benchmark franchise in the NBL

Reply #890503 | Report this post

Monday Dech  
Two years ago

I rekon it is a conflict of interest to have a company own two sporting teams in the same league. Cats selling to hutchy and SEG should never have been allowed to happen by the NBL. Surely WA has enough people with coin who could have bought the cats from within

Reply #890505 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

SEG's basketball team purchases over the past year also include Bendigo Spirit (WNBL) and Otago Nuggets (NZNBL).

They are trying their hand at the multi sports club empire game, which has taken off overseas, but in markets where there is little to no profit margin.

Along with SEG's other media assets the Wildcats are a small piece of the portfolio. Will they hire the right personnel? Will they spend? Will they care, assuming crowd levels remain in the short term, about results? They're based over east so the community aspect is gone as well.

The whole thing is uninspiring.

Reply #890506 | Report this post

Monday Dech  
Two years ago

Perthworld totally agree - I respect everything old jack did for the cats but for him to sell out to hutchy was probably the worst move he made in charge. I would happily wave a hutchy out sign in the crowd if the season repeats itself and have the clubs soul back in WA. I rated seeing the team back in black and gold and would love to see it changed back for good. I know there is recent history now with the red colours/red army supporters nickname but after supporting club from day dot (call me old school) I never understood why the club decided to come up with red if we had our state colours originally. Maybe they employed a marketing intern who said "hey wouldn't it be great idea if we randomly chose the colour red and roll with this for absolutely no reason, it doesnt matter that the hawks have exactly the same colours let's claim it". If someone can fill me in on why this happened I would love to know the reason why. For example if I supported melbourne utd I would have been ropable when they dropped the tigers nickname for United. As a fan of nbl where is the history, basketball isnt soccer

Reply #890507 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Reply #890508 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Time to bring in JvG as a consultant in the rebuild?

Reply #890512 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

"I am really not sure why the government continues to stutter on Cotton's citizenship. I've known people who've been here 2-3 years and have got it. I really don't see what the hold up would be?"

I can tell you from current experience it is taking much longer. My wife has been in the country (as a resident) about a month less than Cotton and applied for her citizenship at around the same time. We're not expecting it to be processed for another year yet. This is just how it is

Reply #890513 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

Apparently he applied for a distinguished talent visa to fast track the process in time for the olympics. Once he didn't get his citizenship in time then he went back into the pool like everyone else and it pretty much started all over again. Gone are the days of the wildcats getting these things done quickly via the back channels.

Reply #890517 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

Monday Dech im pretty sure they changed their colours in '95 when they had the Coke sponsorship. I guess they just stuck with it after that for their rebranding.

Reply #890518 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

"Apparently he applied for a distinguished talent visa to fast track the process in time for the olympics. Once he didn't get his citizenship in time then he went back into the pool like everyone else and it pretty much started all over again. Gone are the days of the wildcats getting these things done quickly via the back channels."

yep, thats where the "hold up" was. If he'd been given an exception to have that visa sorted while in the country (which I think would have been fair) he could have applied for citizenship earlier (maybe even a year earlier) and could have his citizenship by now.

The citizenship process itself though just takes time. Its longer now than ever and, while he may have gotten help to get the visa through (in the end, without result) with the actual citizenship you just gotta wait.

Pre pandemic this was taking around 8 months. Its at least double that now.

Reply #890521 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

On Shane Heals basketball show they got stuck into coach Morrisons suitability after his explosive comments. Good watch from around the 26.55 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hbCX6BgOIQ

Reply #890526 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

Somewhat understandably a lot of debbie downerism in here but it's the cats, they will return and exact revenge. As Simon Mitchell said after the game give Scomo a break, and the team. $hitty season no doubt at all but lots of annoying external factors that didn't help along the way. The cats are held to a standard much higher than other team and rightly so, a bad year is such a rarity it's caused ructions but if they were to ever have a poor campaign the season where the coaching, management and ownership changes coupled with the chaos of covid on the schedule was going to be the one. It's already in the past, the big off season regroup will yield results and the teams track record shows that. So in summary if you were into the cats when they were winning but want to cancel the franchise due to this season please cancel your occasional membership and go support an Eastern States team.

Reply #890527 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

The Cats will be fine. They've got the biggest supporter base in the country, the best player in the league on their books and a history of excellence. Every team has dips, its just amazing it has taken the Cats this long to have one, and even then they've finished with a plus .500 record

Reply #890528 | Report this post

Lawndale  
Two years ago

During covid the visa timelines have blown out massively, it's actually a disgrace and has been devastating for a number of families.

The department is a complete disaster - personally experienced it trying to get a PR for my partner.

Reply #890529 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Two years ago

Would love to see a JVG take over to get cotton the talent/help he needs

Reply #890532 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Monday Dech im pretty sure they changed their colours in '95 when they had the Coke sponsorship.
They started wearing red in 2006.

Reply #890537 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I respect everything old jack did for the cats but for him to sell out to hutchy was probably the worst move he made in charge.

I don't think it was Jack supposedly his adult children had been running his businesses for at least a few years, he died not long after the sale may have even had no idea the team got sold.

I suspect his children 'rushed' the sale to get it done before Jack died so it both looked like he did it and the big PR fallout if they had have waited until he actually died and then put the team up for sale afterwards.

Reply #890541 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Would love to see a JVG take over to get cotton the talent/help he needs

Jeremy Kendle and Garrett Jackson probably wouldn't help much.

Reply #890543 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Didn't the 95 championship team wear black and red? Or is my memory failing in my old age

Reply #890545 | Report this post

Downtown  
Two years ago

Wagstaff possible retirement , you mean definitely retirement .
Time to move on and new blood .

Reply #890548 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

JVG is there man, turn into absolute rabble.

Reply #890549 | Report this post

Downtown  
Two years ago

They had cotton and when they signed vic law they said our job is done haha

Reply #890550 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Didn't the 95 championship team wear black and red? Or is my memory failing in my old age
Red has been a minor part of the color scheme since 1987, but their jerseys weren't primarily red until the back half of the 2005/06 season, which is also the time they started pushing the "wear red to games" thing. The Coke sponsorship ran from 1995-1999.

Reply #890551 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

ah ok fair enough, cheers

Reply #890552 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

My bad my memory is a little hazy going back then. I didn't remember there was quite a few years between the coke sponsorship and the time they went red. Indeed it was primarily black with red trim.

Reply #890553 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

I was calling for Scomo's head after the finals, but more to do with his attitude, the comments prior to the final game and then walking out with his players still on the court didn't sit well with me. I've had a chance to regroup and willing to give him another change. I don't think it comes down to Wildcats were terrible, but more the league around us is getting better and we aren't trying to improve, we're just trying to maintain that level that has always got us there which has shown doesn't work now. The quality of import is an all time high and the Cats decided to go all out offense this season which wasn't working and by the time they tried to get Brown for defensive purposes it was too late. I'm a Frazier fan, so had no problem with him and he handled everything like a professional. If Cotton gets naturalised and we keep Law then I'd be happy to welcome Frazier back alongside a defensive big. Ideally Wagstaff needs to retire and make way for a younger body. Love Norton, but he ragdolls himself worse than Damo did. If we were to get an import C then we'd wouldn't have room for all of Majok/Hodgson/OHB. Love Blanch too, but if we're not going to use him correctly then he's not really any use to us. And if Travers does indeed get drafted then he's gone, I don't think he will though. Need to possibly look at bringing back some home talent like a Dech to share duties with Norton and relieve the SG position at times. Ideally:

PG: Norton/Import/White
SG: Cotton/Local dech type
SF: Law/Blanchfield
PF: Import/Travers
C: Hodgson/Majok

Reply #890556 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

I don't particularly care about ScoMo's attitude towards the press - especially when it is in response to silly questions - but I do worry that some of his behaviour is symptomatic of traits that could affect his ability to coach a team well.

My main question is does he still have the players engaged & clear on their roles.
From the outside looking in, it doesn't seem like he does. To me we don't appear to be a team that is locked in to a game plan and giving it 100%, and often times I'm left wondering if we even have a Plan A, let alone a Plan B for when Plan A isn't working. (are my expectations just too high after so many years of refinement of the system under Gleeson?)
I guess the player exit interviews would best reveal that type of thing.
Also, how many Wildcats got better this season? How many went backwards? How many played to their potential? What are the reasons?

Bendat was the type of owner who wouldn't think twice about paying out a contracted coach/player if it was time for them to go. The new owners wouldn't have that freedom, so of course the default position is going to be trying to make it work without a change of coach. That's understandable.
Hutchy's comments along the lines of "we are committed to him for next season and he is committed to us" are mostly meaningless to me though. Numerous coaches have been sacked within weeks of those type of statements being made.

Ultimately the Cats have still got a solid core of players to build around, and the resources to add good pieces around them. So even with a mediocre coach I'm sure we'll be competitive next season. I've seen a few comments about needing to blow the team up and that's clearly not the case.

ScoMo did have plenty of handicaps along the journey this past season. That can't be denied, and IMO it is a reasonable excuse for lacking the 1 extra win that would have kept the playoff streak going.
But my issue is that we had the personnel to be better than just scraping into 4th ahead of the JackJumpers.

It's possible that NBL coaching was a steep learning curve for ScoMo, and with what he knows now plus having input into the roster changes plus actually being here for the pre-season we will be fine next season.

Reply #890559 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Senator11 I think White has retired?

Reply #890560 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I'm not certain Law was the right fit for Cotton, yes Law can play, just needs a lot of ball that starves Cotton.

Reply #890564 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Dunkman - problem is Cotton has the ball too much, so Law essentially was a good fit because he could carry that scoring load. I think the problem was Law is better at the SF position that way the Cats could have bigger bodies at the 4 which would help us with the defensive woes we struggled with.

Reply #890565 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Law and ScoMo both have attitude issues that would have seen them ousted posthaste under the old regime.

Reply #890571 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

My bad my memory is a little hazy going back then. I didn't remember there was quite a few years between the coke sponsorship and the time they went red. Indeed it was primarily black with red trim.

If we're going to reminisce then don't forget the Coke silver away jerseys. Oh my, those were unique.

Reply #890576 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Might just be the age I was when they were around, but they're one of my favourite jersey designs.

Reply #890579 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Not just you or your age - it is one of if not the most unique NBL colour scheme ever.

It's a shame with modern graphic design no club is trying for something outside the box. Jerseys are all so ho-hum nowadays.

Reply #890581 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

What's next?

Perhaps we finally sign a Next Star?

Reply #890583 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

The NBL gives each designer a jersey template and all elements have to be within that template.

Reply #890586 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Yeah I heard about that - we're in the Worst Ever era for jersey designs because of it.

Reply #890587 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

I wish someone would start a petition for LK to scrap the mandatory white away strip and allow clubs more creative freedom with their alternate away jerseys.There definitely are more important changes to petition for but it would be cool.

Reply #890612 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

There's no mandatory white away strip. New Zealand wear blue, Brisbane wear yellow.

Reply #890614 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

"Senator11 I think White has retired?"

Where'd you hear this? Haven't heard anything and would presume he wouldn't announce so soon after the regular season.

Reply #890648 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Senator - I actually think it was mentioned during the season? I could be wrong but I was under the belief this was his last run.

Reply #890654 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

Big Fudge, I mean I wouldn't be surprised and happy to replace with a younger back up, but for what he prob makes he's decent in that spot if was to continue.

Reply #890702 | Report this post

Wild Willy  
Two years ago

I wonder where Clarke sits in their plans. He was with the team all season and, like a couple of others, never was given much chance to show if he is likely.

Reply #890707 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

That's pretty typical for a DP, really.

Reply #890708 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

The problem is simple.

Jack wanted the Wildcats to be profitable in their own right, but it didn't phase when they weren't. He certainly invested early on, and whenever they took a hit he had their backs.

SEG NEED the Wildcats to be a profitable business enterprise, to pay a return on their investment, and to do it every year.

Their plan is simple. They've bought the biggest and most loyal fanbase in the NBL, and they need to milk that for every cent, whilst curtailing expenditure on the other side of the ledger.
It's no coincidence that within weeks of their purchase becoming a reality, there was a mass exodus.

I read an Interview with Gleeson, where he basically came straight out and blamed his departure on the new owners.
(Obviously he was his usual subtle and tactful self)

I think he was asked the obvious question about what had tempted him to take the Raptors offer.
And his reply was literally something like "I've had lots of offers over the years all offering me more money, but I never considered any of them because I had the backing of a good owner, good organisation, and good system..."

And just look at what happened with Hodgson. They missed out on every big in Australia (presumably by low-balling) and still waited until Hodgson had literally nowhere else to go. No doubt they congratulated themselves on getting him cheap, but imagine if they'd missed him as well.

If you look in the dictionary for "Team Player", it probably says "Not Vic Law."
No doubt they patted themselves on the back again, for another "money-ball" bargain.

Reply #890884 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I find it amazing how the mighty Perth could not play finals when average teams like thee JJs and hawks are.

Reply #890885 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

It's not that amazing really IMO. If Law doesn't go down with a season-ending injury then the Cats are in the playoffs. (Not making any noise, but they're in there)
Despite all the many things they did wrong they were still one very unlucky moment away from making it.
... which I think is mostly a reflection of how mediocre the rest of the league was.

Reply #890894 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

Can't find this reported anywhere online yet but channel 10 news last night reporting Cottoon has re-signed with the Cats for another 3 years. Great news if it's true can anyone verify?

Reply #891216 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Just this but from the same source:

https://twitter.com/Lachy_Reid/status/1521056662752497664

Reply #891221 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Sportando had it a couple of days ago.

Reply #891228 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

https://sportando.basketball/en/sources-bryce-cotton-to-remain-with-perth-wildcats/

Reply #891229 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

@D.20 your assessment looks spot on. I suspect for last few years cat have recruited bargain buy players like White and then put their main investment in Cotton to get over the line. This year that didn't work.

If SEG are looking for return on investment by not investing in a good roster or a coach that can introduce a system to get around a lack of talent (Gleeson and Roth) then it could be some dark years ahead for the Wildcats as a franchise.

Hodgson to me was a backup centre at most with his age and the move to agile centres like JLA, Martin and co. But the late signing of him was very much getting some at the right price.

Well SEG may discover that a lack of success = less fans and sponsorship and less money. They will track more like Brisbane who lack the finances to compete for a championship and less like Melbourne or Sydney.

Reply #891234 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"which I think is mostly a reflection of how mediocre the rest of the league was."

More a reflection of how good Perth's ability to score was for much of the year.

Reply #891273 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

Fundamental issue remains that the new owners have stumbled, badly, and they've done it again, and again, and again. It's not a good look.

As new owners, with hugely sceptical fans, their number one priority should have been "first do no harm." They should have been prepared to spend big to make sure the wheel didn't fall off in the first season at the helm.

Frankly, it shows an inexplicable level of stupidity that they would even proceed with a purchase without having already locked Gleeson in with an iron-clad commitment.
Instead they did the exact opposite.

Having lost Gleeson, they needed to double down and hire enough on-court talent to carry the team. The one non-negotiable requirement of the new owners was that they maintain the streak. And the blew it.

And ultimately, they blew it badly.

Reply #891447 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Holding your coach hostage is unlikely to generate much goodwill.

Reply #891452 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

And ultimately, they blew it badly."

Please. In about half the Wildcats existence their record has been equal or worse what it was this year. They got unlucky. A 57% winning record makes playoffs almost every year.

Reply #891459 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

Holding your coach hostage is unlikely to generate much goodwill
Sorry, perhaps I should have phrased it better.
Before finalising the purchase of an asset, of which Gleeson had become an integral part, they should have gotten him onside. Basically said "Trev, what do we need to do, what guarantees do you need, to ensure you stay for at least a season or two?" Or something to that effect.

Speculation obviously, but I'm guessing that Trev's requirements would have been something along the lines of "Retaining Control of all recruitment, and a budget big enough to retain those he could, lock in a top local centre (Reath??) and source some good imports."

My point being that even if longer term Trev was destined to leave (as he would eventually) and even if that were due to SEG not being as indulgent as Dr Jack, they should have sucked it up for a season or two.

Reply #891462 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

This was the first season since 86 with a losing(or poor) home record. SO even in the years where their percentage was less - they at least made their home court a fortress.

If I am paying 200-300 for tickets to a game , It better be a win and if it is a loss then at least super competitive quality game. This season was neither.

Reply #891463 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

And ultimately, they blew it badly.
Please. In about half the Wildcats existence their record has been equal or worse what it was this year. They got unlucky.
I'm not talking about the team, I'm talking about the new Owners.

SEG purchased the most successful, highest earning, most "profitable" (and presumably most expensive) team in the league.
Or, to put it another way, as a Public Company, they bought an asset that offered a good ROI. And in the first year of operating that asset, they damaged it.

It's not as though the bought a failing business (team) that needed to be overhauled. They didn't buy a dump that needed fixing up.
They bought the most expensive house in town, then rented it to a bunch of Bogans who trashed the place.

If we were talking about any other team, in any other league, then this result would have been accepted philosophically. "Oh well, we've won 10 championships, this wasn't our year, not a bad result overall."
But this wasn't any other team.

The Wildcats brand is, in basketball terms, absolutely huge in Perth.
And, like it or not, that huge brand goes hand in hand with their unequalled success and their culture. I'm not saying this as just another arrogant Perth fan, nor am I trying to boast about the Cats. I'm only trying to illustrate the commercial realities of SEG's purchase.

Reply #891465 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Under the previous ownership Trevor Gleeson went 16-12 twice and 15-13 once. This year was just circumstance, the new owners didn't damage the brand.

Reply #891474 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

I wonder how many people realise Perth's streak included 2 seasons where they finished 7th out of 11 teams, and one where they finished 7th out of 12

(2003-04, 2004-05 and 2005-06)

Reply #891477 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Was Trevor Gleeson ever a petty, arrogant prick to the media?

Did Trevor Gleeson recruit selfish players with massive egos?

Did Trevor Gleeson have a losing home record?

Reply #891478 | Report this post

Watto  
Two years ago

16 wins is irrelevant. It was still not enough to make the playoffs this year

Reply #891479 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

"SEG purchased the most successful, highest earning, most "profitable" (and presumably most expensive) team in the league." Well based on previous years where they make a small profit it will be a negative this season with the extra costs of COVID and Perth being away for so long. That's not SEG's fault either.

Reply #891481 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Any word on Cotton Citizenship? My wife who has similar time frames just got her callup for the interview next month.

Reply #892970 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:01 pm, Mon 6 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754