Isaac
Two years ago

36ers re-sign Sunday Dech for three years

Topic #50015 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I'm pretty happy with that it's hard enough getting players to come here he was said to be on quite good money on his last deal so perhaps took a hair cut per year to get the new 3 year deal.

FWIW, the Sixers have a habit of signing players to extensions on top of their existing deals and announcing it as a new deal like they did with DJ so perhaps Dech and the club agreed to pick up his option for next season and then added a two year extension on top. This season was Year 2 of Dech's original 3 year deal.

Anyway glad to have him back.

Reply #890833 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Sunday Dech is a decent player but on a team that is already short changed at point guard I am not sure what he provides that McCarron doesn't. He is also probably taking up fair coin that could go to an import of some consequence. Will wait to see what other pieces fall into place but as of now it's hard to say if this is an apt signing or not without seeing what kind of scoring guard or decent point guards might be coming through.

Reply #890834 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Well for starters he's a better scorer, shooter and defender than McCarron but other than that not much I suppose. I think he's a better player than MM full stop and there's no way he's on the money McCarron is. Dech can and should be played in any starting line up for his offence or defence not sure MM should be starting anymore going forward.

I would like to see a legit import PG brought in to play alongside Dech or perhaps even move Dech up to SF, he's a very versatile player.

Reply #890835 | Report this post

Tornado  
Two years ago

I'm not sure Dech is a better scorer, shooter or defender than MM? Their stats are comparable but MM's stats took a dip this year fwiw. But, when MM is on he is a better player than SD.

Dech should be played as the 6th man, I think that is where he is currently at.

Get a legit PG or SG import to pair with MM. MM plays the other spot.

Get another legit import at SF.

This will give you a solid 4 man rotation from PG - SG positions.

Third import a defensive minded rebounding big who can score in and around the basket.

Then you would have something like DJ, Bairstow, maybe Humphries and a defensive import big rounding out your front court and 8 man rotation.

Reply #890836 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I'm not sure Dech is a better scorer, shooter or defender than MM?

Dech - 12.3 ppg @ 37.2% (33.1% 3p)

McCarron - 7.6 ppg @ 35.5% (26.4% 3p)

In terms of defence Dech averages 1.0 spg to MM's 1.9 spg but Dech is a much better man defender where as MM picks off passes. Dech always guards the opposition's main scoring G/F, MM doesn't and that reduces Dech's effectiveness at the offensive end which is still much better than MM.

Reply #890837 | Report this post

Tornado  
Two years ago

What are MM's and SD's stats from last season?

From memory MM was a 40% 3P shooter last season where as SD has never been around that mark?

MM had an off year offensively, just tried to do too much and lacked aggression but I think he is more than capable.

Defensively, I think a lot of the things MM does go unnoticed.

Reply #890839 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

I like SD as a quality 6th man, mm needs to be next to a big time scorer, whether that pg or sg is inconsequential

Reply #890841 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

As long as we have enough money to sign either a stud 1 or 2 and a consistent starting 3 and 4/5 then that's all that matters

Reply #890842 | Report this post

Looking forward  
Two years ago

Gee, shooting at better than 40% a bridge too far for both of them?

Is it being harsh to expect your guards playing decent minutes to be more efficient?

Reply #890853 | Report this post

Iter  
Two years ago

I think this is a great signing. Adelaide has lacked a team culture and players who fans can support year after year in the last few seasons. We've been a revolving door for players / coaches.

Long term deals for McCarron, DJ, Dech and hopefully Bairstow, Harris, Marshall & Dufelmeier would help address this deficit.

Reply #890858 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

Looking Forward

"Is it being harsh to expect your guards playing decent minutes to be more efficient?"

Considering only one guard in the league shoots over 40% from 3 I would say so. 35% is more likely

Reply #890865 | Report this post

Observer  
Two years ago

Good signing,he is what we need a good defensive player.Shut down the likes of Cotton,Adams,etc ,I believe he will poll well in Sixers MVP ,I'm tipping Dech to tip DJ.

Well done Sunday I love your work ethic.

Reply #890866 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Dech and DJ certainly had good seasons, to many knockers around here.

Reply #890873 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I don't mind Dech as the Illi to McCarron's Delly but I don't like the signing if they think those two are any kind of a starting backcourt.

Reply #890875 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

McCarron averaged 6.9 rebounds and 4.9 assists and 1.9 steals (13th, 7th and 3rd in the NBL respectively), whilst only averaging 1.9 turnovers (lower than almost every other starting point guard)

Dech averaged 4.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists and 1 steal

McCarron is, at his best, all NBL level- maybe not this season but he was last season

Dech is a solid role player who just had his best season ever

Reply #890887 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Great news for 36ers though having both guys signed up long term.

Success in the NBL is about stability and consistency of Aussie role players, and then bringing in elite imports and/or marquee stars every year. That's how Perth and United have achieved success.

Adelaide finished the season well, and with a healthy Humphries would've been on the verge of playoff contention

Reply #890888 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Can only be a positive and gives flexibility.

I think Dech is an underrated offensive player and can you can do a lot worse regarding a local 2/3 type player.

Slide McCarron to the 2 and bring in a import 1, and then see what the best fit for Dech is after that.

Good work Adelaide and credit where credit is due.

Reply #890889 | Report this post

Looking forward  
Two years ago

Sixers Fan,

My apologies, I thought the 37.2% and 35.5% were their season averages, not their three point averages.

Reply #890903 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

My fault looking forward as I obviously thought you were talking about 3's. You are right that they should both be able to shoot better from the field.

Reply #890904 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:53 am, Tue 30 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754