Zodiac
Two years ago

WNBL: Pelligra Buys Adelaide Lightning

There was a quick story on 7 News tonight confirming that Pelligra have bought the Adelaide Lightning and it's now been confirmed by the WNBL.

https://wnbl.basketball/blog/news/wnbl-set-to-thrive-with-new-club-owners/

Pelligra also own Adelaide Arena aka the Powerhouse.

Topic #50069 | Report this topic

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

He also owns Adelaide Giants in baseball. What else doesn't he own.

Reply #892069 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Haha, Sydney Kings are owned by "Hoops Capital Pty Ltd"

The "Hoops Capital" that hasn't even had a team for all of the NBL's existence. The "hoops capital" where championships are few and far between, and where champion boomers are few and far between

Victoria, meanwhile, has been home of roughly 40% of NBL title winners - plus legendary Aussie ballers like Gaze, Bogut, Heal, Delly and Anstey

Good effort though. It's a solid marketing ploy that appeals to the mindset of Sydneysiders, who, shall we say, like to think well of themselves

The rest of us can laugh about it

Reply #892070 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Huh? This is an Adelaide thread.

Reply #892071 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

The "Hoops Capital" that hasn't even had a team for all of the NBL's existence.
So Illawarra is the Hoops Capital now?

Reply #892072 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

PW, just something I noticed from the article linked above

"Prior to the 21-22 season the Sydney Flames transitioned from Sydney University to Hoops Capital Pty Ltd, a multi-faceted basketball enterprise and owner of the Sydney Kings"

Reply #892075 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

[So Illawarra is the Hoops Capital now?]

There has been a team/teams in Melbourne the whole time

Melbourne the city is the Hoops and NBL Capital. We all know that

It's good marketing though. Arguably better marketing than United's "go hard to go to Sydney"

Reply #892076 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

PW, just something I noticed from the article linked above

Ah okay, that makes sense - unlike the name of the Kings holding company.

Reply #892095 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

There has been a team/teams in Melbourne the whole time
So what? Sydney fell over at a time when the barrier to entry was much, much higher. Far more teams based out of Melbourne have failed, than have teams based out of Sydney.

Reply #892113 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

[Far more teams based out of Melbourne have failed, than have teams based out of Sydney.]

And far more teams in Melbourne have achieved success. Hence why Melbourne is the Hoops and NBL capital

That success has been on the court, and sometimes off the court too

38 straight years of United and their legacy franchise the Tigers is a pretty good run

23 out off 44 NBL seasons have had a Victorian team in the GF. Victoria is undoubtedly the home of the NBL

Reply #892127 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Two years ago

"23 out off 44 NBL seasons have had a Victorian team in the GF. "

I wouldn't get too carried away with that stat as an indicator of Victorian teams' excellence per se. It's probably a better indicator of numbers of Victorian teams participating over the life of the NBL.

There were quite a few years where the chance of randomly getting at least one Victorian team in the GF were better than 50%. e.g., in 1987 there were 5 Victorian teams in a 14 team league. That meant there were 91 possible GF match-ups, 55 of which (~60%) include at least one of the 5 Victorian teams. Nevertheless, no Victorian teams even made it to semi-finals that year, let alone the GF.

I haven't run the numbers for all of the 44 seasons but I reckon they'd land around expecting to have seen 15-20 of those years with at least one Victorian team in the GF, just based on numbers of Victorians teams participating.

Reply #892128 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Yes PeterJohn, and the sheer number of teams too supports my comment that Victoria is the home of the NBL and Melbourne is the Hoops Capital

Reply #892130 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

You can see though that Victorian teams typically are quite successful because if you look over the past 30 years or so, since the early 90's (ignoring the complexities of so many 80's teams)

The main two threads have been

Tigers/United- very successful- made playoffs in all but 6 or 7 seasons. 6 titles, 5 runner ups

North Melbourne Giants/South East merged into Vic Titans. South Dragons for 3 years, SEM for 3 years- all successful franchises in their own right- North Melbourne a title from 2 GF's and perennial finalists. Magic 2 titles from 4 GFs in the 90s. Vic Titans made finals every year I think? Dragons won a title in their 3rd season

SEM is letting the city down a bit....but otherwise those clubs were all powerhouses of the competition

So yeah, undoubtedly Melbourne teams have batted above the average in terms of success over the last 30 odd years.

My 1980's knowledge isn't as strong but the records show many Vic teams winning titles and playing in GFs

Reply #892132 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Oh and yes I forgot the reincarnation of the Giants which lasted 2 sorry seasons- but again, most of the Melbourne franchises have been successful

Reply #892133 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

It's nice to see so much conversation in a WNBL thread

Reply #892140 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Unfortunately Melbourne hasn't been quite as successful in the women's

Was the Dandenong Rangers to Southside Flyers rebrand as controversial as the Tigers?

Reply #892143 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

WTF has this thread got to do with Melbourne? You Vics and your constant chest-beating it's unreal.

Reply #892144 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

I was commenting on something from the article above- Sydney Flames and Sydney Kings are owned by "Hoops Capital Pty Ltd"

Chest beating about our respective cities is probably more interesting than the ownership of the Adelaide Lightning, to be honest, but feel free to redirect to something more directly on the topic of the OP

Reply #892149 | Report this post

Statman  
Two years ago

Its the name of a holding company, how are you getting so worked up about something so mundane?

Reply #892152 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Pretty sure its also written on the court? And/or used in marketing.

Reply #892153 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Like I said though, I have no problem with it, as marketing goes

It appeals to the Sydney mindset

Reply #892154 | Report this post

Reader  
Two years ago

United were struggling to get 4000 to playoff games. I'm not sure you can really call them the hoops capital.

Reply #892162 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

I'll continue blaming AFL for that until it's proven otherwise

Reply #892164 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

NBL23 crowds will be better with the nbl starting up in October.

Reply #892165 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Was the Dandenong Rangers to Southside Flyers rebrand as controversial as the Tigers?
I don't remember that one but I remember Bulleen rebranding to Melbourne being controversial. Not from the Boomers fans, but from Tigers fans who were angrily declaring that they owned the word "Melbourne" as it relates to basketball.

Reply #892168 | Report this post

Easy As  
Two years ago

Pelligra also own South Melbourne Football (soccer) club and will take control of Adelaide United after this A League season finishes. He also mentioned in the interview that he hopes to own the 36ers as well.
Considering he own the Adelaide 36ers Arena, if he does end up as 36ers owner, the Lightning would probably end up back there playing games instead of the soon to be constructed State Basketball Centre.

Reply #892173 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:13 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754