DennisRodmansHair
Two years ago

NBL Offseason - Player Options Not Taken

A couple of guys who have been around the league for awhile not having their player option picked up on....what do we think is next for the following?

Anthony Drmic - Brisbane (Mutual Opt. Not Taken)
Kouat Noi - Cairns (Mutual Opt. Not Taken)
Tohi Smith-Milner - SE Melbourne (Team Opt. Declined)

Topic #50081 | Report this topic

Pasadena 72  
Two years ago

I think I saw on the Magok press release that Purchase had been let go by Perth.

Reply #892392 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Purchase has and signed with North Adelaide in the local league so hopefully the Sixers take a loot at him again maybe as a replacement for Malou.

Reply #892394 | Report this post

Life is Basketball  
Two years ago

Think Purchase signed with Forestville, who are playing COE/Global academy...interesting to see how that goes.

Reply #892399 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

With those mutual options, who did the 'not taking up'?

Reply #892401 | Report this post

EmBee  
Two years ago

Surely not going to get that much from him though? If he's off to NBA Summer League, that's a big chunk of the season, and if things go well for him there then I assume he's just basically gone from early July

Reply #892411 | Report this post

EmBee  
Two years ago

Ah, obviously the above is in totally the wrong thread somehow...

Reply #892412 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Think Purchase signed with Forestville, who are playing COE/Global academy...interesting to see how that goes.

Yep you're right he's playing for Forestville, I think he played for North in his first time in the state league.

Reply #892415 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

Drmic is nothing more than a hot head, that will never get out of the shadow of his brother.
Noi, I've given up on, he needs to be a spark off the bench or something apart from a starter that is always injured and jacks up too many 3s
Tohi is the most selfish useless player in the NBL in ages, how he has made a career has been wonderful when there are other players (I'm thinking Tom Vodanovich coming to mind) that deserve more chances than Tohi but it's been a good run.

No loss on any of these guys but I think Noi will be picked up somewhere

Reply #892419 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Two years ago

Purchase for the Sixers? Perth just offloaded him, there's a reason for that. JVG is no longer there to look after his mates. Purchase not required, far better options out there.

Reply #892423 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Noi is worth a flyer, his injuries have been the big problem so far and he seems to lose his momentum each time he goes down. He has some tools but I'd like to see him bulk up a bit and look to be more a 3/4 because He has the height to get away with it in the NBL, and if he can hit the deep ball at a more consistent clip and help on the glass a little I don't see any reason why he can't be a contributor in the NBL for a long time - change of scenery might be good for him though.

Drmic at 30 years of age he is who he is - he will have some big games but not a consistent enough shooter to warrant a starting position. Still, someone Tassie should look at I feel, I could see him buying into that system and doing well down there.

Reply #892425 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Noi does not understand team basketball or play good D. He was talked up by Santa and a few others as nba talent, perhaps, I don't see it. There is no way he’s even a three in the nba let at all a four.

Reply #892441 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

"Drmic at 30 years of age he is who he is - he will have some big games but not a consistent enough shooter to warrant a starting position. Still, someone Tassie should look at I feel, I could see him buying into that system and doing well down there."

That does seem like a good fit.

Reply #892450 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Tassie don't have any local spots on their roster available though to sign Drmic they would either need to forgo an import or remove one of their locals from the roster which wouldn't look good given that team just went to a GF.

If not back at the Bullets I think SEM would make the most sense for him it's his hometown and an almost like for like replacement for Gliddon. And then Cam can go back to the Bullets, everyone wins.

Reply #892452 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

It will be good for the league to lose a cancer like Drmic. Harry Froling the only other

Reply #892454 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Gliddon is a far better player than Drimic. That's not anywhere near equal, SEM got enough average players.

Reply #892455 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Gliddon might be the one shooter in the league less consistent than Drmic.

Reply #892457 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Gliddon a far better player than Drmic? lol

Drmic - 7.4 ppg @ 41.6% (30.3% 3p), 48.6% FT (only 1.4 FTA p/g), 3.3 rpg, 1,7 apg

Gliddon - 4.7 ppg @ 40.4% (36.8% 3p), 80% FT (just 0.2 FTA p/g), 2.5 rpg, 0.9 apg

Drmic's a better player. He's slightly more consistent offensively than Gliddon, he puts in more effort to try and make things happen and probably better defensively.

I don't know what the deal is with Gliddon but he goes batches of 5-6 games of doing virtually nothing has an okay game or 1 or 2 of his big games a season and then disappears off the face of the Earth again. Perhaps his seemingly morose contributions are due to Broekhoff's arrival who is basically an up-market version of Gliddon. He's gone backwards in a big way since going to SEM not that he was exactly tearing it up in Brisbane before that.

Reply #892458 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

So there both crap, I'd still take Gliddon as he’s shown he can play, didn’t get the opportunity at SEM.

Reply #892459 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

So in one post you've gone from Gliddon being a far better player than Drmic to now they're both crap?

I never said Drmic's a superstar just that he's a better player than Gliddon, which he is.

Reply #892460 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Over the course of their careers Gliddon has been better, yes his time at SEM has been average. Drimic has been average every where. Again my opinion, you are allowed yours, that's why we are on sites like this.

Reply #892461 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

The Boomers clearly rate Gliddon over Drmic.

Reply #892463 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I said better player not better career obviously Gliddon has had the better career which is irrelevant in the here and now.

It was Lemanis the peanut and his coach at the Bullets who picked Gliddon and it was a very controversial selection too.

Reply #892464 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Drmic plays more minutes, what's the per 36 comparison.

I really like Gliddon, always have, he’s just been squeezed out at SEM, and is aging, and I just feel like Drmic has never found the right team/role, I feel a "Clint Steindl" type role would, especially the way Gleeson played him, would suit well

Reply #892470 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Drmic plays more minutes because he's a starter, Gliddon's a benchie who wouldn't start on any team in the league.

FWIW,

Drmic - 21.6 mpg

Gliddon - 16.8 mpg

Reply #892473 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

Gliddon would not have done his price tag any favours with what he did in SEM but surely that wouldn't make his value actually increase, if teams think they can get him for say $100k instead of $200k or even $150k then surely he would attract more suitors within the NBL.

I'd happily have him in a Wildcats jersey playing behind Norton and Cotton and there was a time that that would be seen as quite the back court trio

Reply #892489 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Gliddon, just imo, is more of a feast or famine kind of player. If things are going well he can get real hot and blow a game out. But more often than not he can shoot his way to the bench. Drmic can probably add the role of instigator to the mad bomber role.
Steindl is a good comparison just based on his spot at Perth, but they had more insurance if his shot wasn't falling.
But at what price does the market value them? Is say, $150k the minimum for someone on their day can get hot and nearly give you a couple of wins by themselves. Kind of like Hannah's, do you give an import spot to a guy that's hot and cold?
The game has evolved now to the point that shooters have such a premium put on them. I think I read an article a few years back about the Curry effect and how kids will just practice 3s and not much else.
It is a thing of beauty though when a shooter gets in the zone and hits everything, which is why guys like Gliddon will continue to get jobs.

Reply #892495 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:44 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754