MontyBurns
Two years ago

Free Agency frenzy

Boys & girls, when will everything unravel at a rapid pace so we think? Friday was a let down for news/signings that's for sure. Is it a case of the clubs not wanting to look like they had tampered and done deals prior to being allowed to? Will everything (the big pieces) go down this week you reckon?

Topic #50093 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Clubs still working out budgets, you got get your recruiting right. I have a friend that is on good terms with an agent, he's saying there talking going on. Sides got get the Australian talent right as to put good imports around them.

Reply #892575 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

I'm not sure there’s many really good Aussies to sign? Who would the 36ers look at? Am interested in what happens to Humphries and Bairstow though. The 36ers success will come down to imports which will happen later I guess

Reply #892578 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Will McDowell White is off contract from NZ and would be a great local signing for anyone in need of a PG who can put points on the board.
Hopefully NZ can re-sign him but I won't be surprised if he heads elsewhere.

Reply #892593 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

Is Yanni Wetzell a free agent? Sixers should pursue him if he's available.

Reply #892595 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Wetzel, lol, keep up man, signed in Spain to euro league team about eight weeks ago.

Reply #892596 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

Yeah I don't follow what's going on every day in the NBL. Last I heard he'd opted out maybe 2-3 weeks back. Was hoping the Sixers could grab him as he looks set to be a very good long-term centre. Anyone heard any rumours on Robert Franks? Is Brisbane likely to bring him back?

Reply #892605 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Wetzel would be on twice the coin that Australian clubs could offer him unless he becomes a marquee player, I'd say the Sixers have been burnt by Humphries as a marquee the last few seasons.

Reply #892609 | Report this post

GordonG  
Two years ago

Shaun Bruce staying with the Kings for another two years.

Don't blame him :)

Reply #892612 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

I'm most interested in Matt Hodgson, I mean we are talking about a player that was near the lady player signed and did himself absolutely zero favours with his altercation with DJ and you'd imagine Perth would look elsewhere especially after keeping Jook, surely his value has decreased as much as Gliddon.

I hope Perth can sign Gliddon but I'd also like to see him return to Cairns as well and wish he'd stayed there his whole career

Reply #892627 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Big news out of Perth. Kyle Zunic signed for 2 years. (Main roster, not development)

Reply #892634 | Report this post

loungefly  
Two years ago

Hopefully the elevation of Zunic means Kevin White won't be back and Kyle can take all those mins which will be great for his development and Matt Hodgson...if he wasn't injured/suspended he spent most of his court time falling over, hopefully Majok can play increased mins but you don't want to push too hard after coming back from a big injury.

Hopefully Shervill is back from injury and Travers uses not being drafted as fuel to actually play how he did two years ago (personally i feel he regressed but that may be mostly on the coach forcing him to be a P.G)

I'd be happy for Law to come back and if timing allows bring Brown III

Reply #892636 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Cairns said they're looking at college Aussies at the moment. I cant think of too many good ones outside of Taran Armstrong.

Reply #892637 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Kevin White is a guy who has had way too many jobs in the NBL for too long. Zunic taking that spot would be for the absolute best. No doubt Adelaide will pick up White and treat it like a good signing though.

Reply #892638 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Zunic needs to work on his three point shooting, there were games the cats lost last year where he had a number of open looks and didn't hit a single one. It could have been a difference maker.

Certainly I was not impressed when you compare some of the young gun DP guards that were coming out and scoring and filling the stat sheet - guy up in Cairns I forget his name.

After this seasons dismal effort , still waiting for 2-3 real meaningful signings to get the cats back in the finals.

Reply #892643 | Report this post

forwhatitsworth  
Two years ago

If you mean Ben Ayre at Cairns then he is 26 and was injury replacement not a young DP. Not sure who the other young DP guards that you refer to who were filling up the stats sheets. Zunic will be a solid player.

Reply #892646 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

What was Ben Ayres experience coming into those games ? Less than Zunich.

Reply #892649 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Ben Ayre was a former 36ers DP a few years ago.

Reply #892651 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

*yawn*

Reply #892662 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I feel like last year there was a hell of a lot of movement, especially with Tassie coming in

This year I suspect little movement for players between clubs, lots of Australian contingent retention where the main changes will be import tweaks and a few Aussies coming in from college

Reply #892664 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

I'm expecting NZ to look a lot different after 2x seasons on the road.

Kyrin Galloway has opted out.
Finn Delaney is likely to explore overseas options.
WMW is off contract and no guarantee to return.
Issac Davidson hasn't been retained.
Dieng & Besson are likely to be drafted.
Chasson Randle was largely ineffective.
Peyton Siva struggled with injuries.

NZ Tall Black Isaac Fotu's younger brother Dan Fotu is signed alongside Tom Abercrombie, Rob Loe & Sam Timmins for 22/23.

Sam Waardenburg is hopefully on the Breakers radar after finishing his collegiate career at the University of Miami.

Rasmus Bach didn't get a lot of opportunity under Dan Shamir last season but could be worth hanging onto if the price is right.

Reply #892665 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

Patterson and Machado finished in the NBL?

Reply #892669 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Machado might be done but I doubt Patterson is. He's playing in the QBL again during the off-season so probably will be back with the Bullets again if not I think another NBL team would likely sign him. I think after this past season teams would be quite wary in signing Machado though.

Reply #892671 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Vodanovich to Breakers?

Reply #892674 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Brisbane need to make changes, Patterson not taking them forward. Sobey is the man, got stay healthy, get a few players that understand defensive rotations, defence full stop would be good.

Reply #892677 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

I would much prefer NZ chased Sam Waardenburg's signature than bring back Tommy V.

Reply #892679 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

tommy v would be good pickup for jackjumpers

Reply #892680 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

JJs got enough bench quality players.

Reply #892682 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

might be nothing

Jacob wiley is following the wildcats
tyler harey is now following jaril wilson 6 7 forward

Reply #892683 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

Luke Kendall finished at Phoenix.

Reply #892703 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

So 36ers went after Todd Blanchfield (unsuccessfully).

I wonder if it's a pure push the price up move, otherwise why would they target him? I’d have thought it semi-conflicts with Dech?

Reply #892710 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

And with Mojave King supposedly coming back too, why would we go after Blanchfield? He's a cherry on the sundae type player for a contending team no need for him here. Sounds more like his agent using us to drive up his price elsewhere, again.

Reply #892715 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Lachy just reported that Blanchfield has re-signed with Perth

Reply #892718 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

College kids being pursued.

Cameron-nz
Healy
Stattman
Mayen
Fotu-nz signed with breakers
Anticevich
Waardenburg-nz

Reply #892720 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Whatever the worst possible signing would be, that is Adelaide's next move I am sure.

Reply #892722 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

I can imagine Patterson playing for Cairns... I can also imagine Forde going grey thanks to Lamarvellous defence

Reply #892727 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

I don't think Forde would put up with Patterson turning up out of shape and playing matador defense.
He's a name Brisbane and other teams should pass on.
He had his moments a couple of seasons ago but has failed to consistently replicate that form since.

Reply #892731 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Agree re: Patterson. Obviously enjoys being in Australia, but at the very least I'd have him on a heavily incentivized contract re: fitness levels/weight.

Reply #892732 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

You could see JD benching Patterson last season due to defensive liability, Brisbane should let him go, I'd say he could be mates with the owners though, could be difficult. Again the commentary talk him up like world beater because he scores points. You have to play both ends.

Reply #892737 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

The value in Patterson is that he really wants to be there which is half the battle. 3.5 seasons out of the last four and now spending the last two off-seasons there too playing in the QBL.

He's not quite the player he was when he first arrived but still one of the better imports in the league every year and if he's prepared to take a discount to stay in Brisbane I think a team like the Bullets should keep going back to him.

He's got more value too if Sobey goes down injured again, I assume re-signing Franks would be out of their price range now.

Reply #892741 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Does Dean Vickerman back himself to get Patterson to train hard and play hard? Because if he could achieve that he could have a similar impact to Hopson late in the season.

Reply #892742 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Patterson only plays hard at one end of the floor.
Yes he enjoys being in Australia but it's probably not that hard of a sell to a potential import.

English speaking country.
Decent climate.
Awesome beaches.
Short season.
Plenty of eyes on the league.
Probably not going to get murdered.
You will get paid on time and the agreed amount.

I think there are plenty of other fish in the sea.
Guys who can score, play defense, be great team mates and turn up fit & healthy and ready to play.

Patterson has a great resume and has been great player, I just think that ship has sailed and it's time to move on.

Reply #892743 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

36ers signed Drmic....

Oh boi

Reply #892744 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Yeah that's a massi ve 'meh' signing if I've ever seen one. Looks like McCarron is staying at the 1, and we still havent learned anything

Reply #892747 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Drmic may enjoy Adelaide better this time round with CJ running the team?

Reply #892749 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I'm puzzled why 36ers haven’t re-signed Duffelmeier yet.

Not keen on him? Tad exploring options, more money, more time?

Seemed like a decent backup PG to me

Reply #892752 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Because we're all praying they sign an import PG.
Then Mitch and Dech can play back up/off ball.

Reply #892754 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

For whatever reason I don't think CJ rates Duf all that highly. He barely played him at all the first half of the season, gave him some minutes in the second half he started performing then seemed to have his minutes reduced again. It's a bit bizarre but maybe CJ being an ex-PG himself marks harshly.

I would like to see Duf back but perhaps we're trying to bring Isaac White back home and that's why nothing has happened there yet?

Reply #892756 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

kody stattmann has signed one year deal with the bullets

Reply #892815 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

It's the slowest frenzy in years. Clubs being very cautious.

Reply #892817 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I'm getting a Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook vibe reading about the signings made so far.

Reply #892826 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

i would love to see Marquee bolden in the nbl

ex teammate of jack white

played 6 games in the nba

naturalized Indonesian

6 10 foward 24yrs

Reply #892906 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

is Jacob Epperson a NBL player?

Reply #892939 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Glad to see that Tassie have re-signed Magette

Reply #893439 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Yeah if they can get Josh Adams back and upgrade McIntosh they will be in a good space heading into 22/23.
Every other team in the league will be looking at upgrading their rosters as well but roster continuity always served the Wildcats and the Breakers well when they were winning Ships.

Reply #893440 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:17 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754