DraftBust
Two years ago

Thon Maker

Thon Maker is really starting to play well. You could see his confidence beginning to build with Capes and the Brooklyn Nets G League affiliate last season. It's continued with this stint with the Boomers. I think a good season in the NBL or internationally would be great to continue to boost his confidence where we will see him back in the NBA soon.

Topic #50283 | Report this topic

Bored  
Two years ago

I disagree (but happy to be proven wrong!). His asking price must be the sticking point for the NBL, otherwise I assume he'd be signed already. To make the NBA at his position he really needs to be a dominant offensive force/elite pop threat OR an elite defensive rim protector type big. He's neither of those things so I find it hard to see him back in the NBA. He has no point of difference.

Reply #896163 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Staring in the Asia cup doesn't stand for much, didn’t last in Israel last season for more than a few weeks.
Bevo side beat Japan by double to what this squad has done if my memory serves me right.

I’d like to see him in the nbl before any real judgement can be made.

Reply #896164 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Heard Melbourne United signed Issac Humphries.

I can't see Melbourne signing Thon Maker with Ariel and Issac in the squad.

Reply #896166 | Report this post

curtley  
Two years ago

Sadly he'd probably accept more money in Japan which is basically the new way of telling the world you've given up on playing NBA.

Reply #896169 | Report this post

TaipansTragic  
Two years ago

Wouldn't read too much into Asia Cup performances. Might wonder what his asking price is, I'm certain the Israeli league is a well paying league which is why he decided to play there last year, albeit not for long. Could possible see him as a high energy type bench player in the NBA. And i think the best situation for him would be a roster spot and a contending team with a good PG. Something like the Warriors/Suns/Celtics or even Lakers. A situation where he could give good back up minutes, and excel in a role where much isn't expected from him. Wishing him the best, would've loved to have him on the Taipans if he we had an unlimited budget haha.

Reply #896184 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

He really struggled in Israel early last season which is comparable in standard to the NBL. His stats have been impressive in the Asia Cup but it's a mickey mouse tournament.

Reply #896186 | Report this post

DraftBust  
Two years ago

I don't know many back up centers in the NBA that are a dominant offensive force/elite pop threat or an elite defensive rim protector type big. I know some 2nd and 3rd rotational bigs that can sprint the floor hard in transition, catch lobs, hit an occasional 3pt shot, switch defensively onto guards for 2-3 seconds until the floor is shrunk, get an occasional block, and hit free throws while playing 10-15 mins a game. I believe that’s a possibility after a solid NBL season if possible. Maybe I’m wrong but one thing I know he will be able to help the Boomers in the future.

Reply #896188 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

He been a back up in the nba before with little success, Israel is a very good paying league, he was a bench player there before they parted ways. He certainly would not be short of a dollar you would think.
I'm backing he’ll be at he cats and do well under the coaching of Rillie and Kelly.

Reply #896189 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Cats have looked at him and Bairstow but are eying a legitimate 5 man who can play on both ends.

Reply #896190 | Report this post

DraftBust  
Two years ago

He struggled in Israel but had success in the G League, which is more free flowing, under the coaching of Adam Capron.

Reply #896191 | Report this post

Pinch  
Two years ago

Illawarra

Reply #896192 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Why would Illawarra pay big coin for him when Froling is a long term player and Reath is more the four.

Reply #896193 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Only way Maker would play at Illawarra if Reath got poached by another nbl team or signed somewhere in China/Japan or Europe.

Heard Brock Molten signed in Japan. NBL should be more high paying then the B.League.

Reply #896195 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Why do you say that? The Chinese league is below NBL standard but is the highest paying league in the world outside the NBA. They're richer countries than Australia.

Reply #896196 | Report this post

Pinch  
Two years ago

Reath gone

Reply #896198 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Basketball in Japan is ranked behind sumo, football, possibly even baseball but they excellent salary. In Australia it's all sucked up league and afl broadcast dollars, and yes the afl does rate in the southern states and west but league isn’t in the same league.

Reply #896199 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Basketball in Japan is ranked behind sumo, football, possibly even baseball

Possibly? Baseball is #1.

Reply #896207 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

He's just not NBA level, he’s a great athlete and NBA teams have taken a flyer based on that...

I think his best bet would be playing under Vickerman or Roth for a couple of years, kind of like a career rehab of sorts.

Not saying there’s room or $$$ for that

Reply #896208 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

Gaze mentioned during the last qualifications window that Thon said that he was one of the most underrated passers in the world. That might be a ludicrous statement, but Thon has actually pulled off some impressive passes in the Asia Cup.

Reply #896259 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Jimmy hooper, Perth have got their 5 man. An undersized/slow centre at that.

Reply #896359 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

TaShawn Thomas.

Reply #896364 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

TaShawn Thomas wasnt listed as a 5 man, I assume he is their 4 man ? As a 4 man 2.03 is fine.

Some players can play above their height which may be the case for Thomas who has played a lot in Europe which is usually has taller average heights than the NBL in the paint.

Dennis Rodman was 2.01 and was one of the elite rebounders and defenders in the NBA , keeping Shaq to 0 in one game. Cam Oliver was a solid 5 man at 2.03 for Cairns.

Height is a factor but high IQ, instinct and effort can be differentiators.

Reply #896366 | Report this post

MD  
Two years ago

7'2 wingspan and a standing reach of 9'.....physical height isn't everything. Thomas the Tank will be just fine in the NBL, check his rebounding stats in comparison to DJ Hogg and Brock Motum who both played in the same league as him last season. Would still would like to see another front court piece to complement him (which is likely) but on paper this is a very good signing by a Perth team trying to bounce back.

Reply #896373 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I'm hearing on the nbl website that Thon Maker is in discussions with the Illawarra Hawks. Duol Reath may be heading to China sadly.

Reply #896474 | Report this post

Kp  
Two years ago

Fake news his off to China

Reply #896475 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754