Krebs
Stattman
Mitchell
Harrison

Diing dp
Gak
Froling

1 big too many imo.
1 of the import spots will have to be a next star.

Reply #896481 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Doomed if they play Gak or Froling as pf and have Mitchell play the 3

Reply #896482 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Massive signing. Let's hope he can play some good ball, because that would put Brissy right in the thick of it.

Reply #896483 | Report this post

Statman84  
Two years ago

Harrison better watch out, he might get buried on the bench in his contract year.

Reply #896484 | Report this post

Kings  
Two years ago

Love Baynes being in the NBl. I reckon this signing has crippled them money wise though, he would be on decent coin along with Sobey.

Reply #896487 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Stoked to see him back on the court at all. Hoping he can have some success

Reply #896489 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

This is awesome. Go Big Baynesy, hope he does really well

Reply #896490 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Somewhat expected signing. I'm happy, although you know the Bullets will absolutely cheap out with the import signings now.

Reply #896491 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Two years ago

My predicted lineups for Brisbane

Tyler Johnson / Jason Cadee
Nathan Sobey / Tanner Krebs
Lamar Patterson / Kody Stattmann / Lual Diing *
D.J Mitchell / Harry Froling
Aron Baynes / Tyrell Harrison / Gorjok Gak

Reply #896492 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Not sure if Brisbane will have 3 imports with Baynes. Sobey and Baynes will be on Marqee contracts

Reply #896493 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Should mention that Lamar is back playing NBL1 North. One would suspect he re-signs with Brisbane.

Reply #896494 | Report this post

DreamShake  
Two years ago

Official

https://nbl.com.au/news/aron-baynes-comeback-complete

Reply #896495 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

This is going to be a waste since the Bullets are so cheap.

Reply #896497 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Two years ago

Very exciting signing for Brisbane, very excited to watch some games live and see Baynes play!!

If Lamar comes back in decent shape and they get a stud import, I think they could be top 4, although both of these are big 'ifs'.

Reply #896498 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

BeeGee you are sounding like a 6ers supporter.

SEM and 6ers have spent big. Expect Perth to be there and Lets say Brisbane.
Thats a completely new top 4 from season just gone.
Ill and Sydney I'm not expecting to be as good, Tassie will be Tassie, although I think will have a 2nd season slump, Melbourne losing JW and JLA will hurt them big time. Will need 2 gun imports in the 3 and 4, and a backup 2 import, maybe an XRM type player.

Reply #896499 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Great news for Bullets fans, I thought this might be on the cards due to the Bullets not even signing any imports yet. Sounds like Patterson might be back too as I assumed, takes the gamble out of a key import spot.

The rest of the roster excluding Sobey is very light on though. I guess it all depends how Baynes comes back from injury but at his age and a big injury like that I can't see him dominating. Good luck to him though great to see him finally play in the NBL.

Reply #896500 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Will be great to have him back on court and see how he goes in the league. Wonder how his workouts have been looking and if he's at his previous level?

Reply #896501 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Two years ago

Tyler Johnson signed as well
Sobey & Johnson probably the best backcourt with Baynes @ C

2 good role player imports is needed because I'm pretty sure them 3 are on most of the money
So the SG/SF & PF position imports will be budget imports, got to nail those

Reply #896502 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Anon, SEM have not spent big their roster is garbage at the moment losing out on Zhou Qi and Thon has pretty much decimated their off-season.

The 36ers are legit playoff contenders but I think still one quite reasonable signing away from being title contenders, anything could happen with Franks and/or Cleveland now that they've gotten multi-year deals and presumably a pay rise a lot of imports take their foot off the pedal in those circumstances.

Reply #896503 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

Would he demand big $
NBL is really rehab/fitness with the hope of returning to the nba.
He's earnt near $40 mill in salary in the nba, he might have been happy for less than marquee money

Reply #896504 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I agree I doubt Baynes is on truly massive money ala Bogut, Landale, Cotton, Delly. I reckon he might've given his home team a reasonable discount too knowing his NBA interest is low, likely the bigger paying leagues in Europe too and this way he stays in shape with NBA scouts watching all the time in the hope of getting a call up.

Reply #896505 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulez  
Two years ago

This is awesome news. Great to have him in the league. Hopefully he's back to full fitness.

Reply #896506 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Two years ago

@anon

Not sure how I sound like a 6ers fan when I clearly am a Brisbane fan, but alas.

Either way, as I said, my commentary was a very big if, which I think we all know given Brisbane's reputation, won't happen.

Reply #896507 | Report this post

pattymillsMVP  
Two years ago

A great outcome. Good for Baynesy, good for the Bullets and good for basketball.

Reply #896508 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Two years ago

Import/Cadee
Sobey/Krebs
Import/Stattman
Mitchell/Froling
Baynes/Harrison/Gak

Brisbane shouldn't have got Gak if knew Baynes was signing. Some upside on the roster if one of Krebs, Stattman, Mitchell or Froling fire could make 4

Reply #896509 | Report this post

Statman84  
Two years ago

@NBL Fan

Tyler Johnson would be a great signing (once it is official).

Reply #896510 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Love it!

Reply #896511 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

Since his horrendous exit from WC, Aron B has shown tremedous character. From the extreme, "may never walk agaln", with never a, "woe is me", talk about guts.
And now, he is at the Bullets.
Go Aron B, have a ball and success with your NBA goals, you really deserve it.

Reply #896513 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

i know people don't believe in social media but tyler johnson started following the bullets and the bullets are following him to

Reply #896514 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Anon, SEM have not spent big their roster is garbage at the moment"

Their 1-4 is Browne, Kell, Broekhoff, Creek. If the two imports perform as they have elsewhere that group should be competitive with anyone. Then they have an import spot open to fill the C position if they don't get a local gun.

Reply #896515 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Brisbane shouldn't have got Gak if knew Baynes was signing

I thought it was an overkill on bigs too but keep in mind the Bullets didn't know they were definitely getting Baynes, a couple of weeks ago he was in Las Vegas doing workouts for NBA teams.

Even though he's signed they can always remove Gak from the playing roster if they wish too.

Reply #896516 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Their 1-4 is Browne, Kell, Broekhoff, Creek. If the two imports perform as they have elsewhere that group should be competitive with anyone. Then they have an import spot open to fill the C position if they don't get a local gun.

Even if both of their imports turn out to be absolute guns which isn't likely they've still got a bad roster. Broekhoff can't be seriously relied upon either due to injuries or poor form therefore Creek is the only other serious player they've got and he might even end up being their only one.

Returning: Creek, Broekhoff, Adnam, Te Rangi, Pineau

In: Browne*, Kell*, Madut

Like I said missing out on Zhou & Thon has destroyed their off-season. They'll be scrambling now to even put together a halfway competitive roster.

Reply #896517 | Report this post

Kev  
Two years ago

Just hope he has a great start to the season and a NBA team thinks, fit enough for us.

Reply #896518 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

If SEM gets decent imports they may do better than previous years. Imports drive championships - you could see that last year with Sydney, previous years with Cotton and so on.

So if SEM invest in elite tier imports I think they will be stronger than having Zhou and Thon. Top tier Australians dont drive many championships - Creek , Sobey are examples where they havent been good enough to help their teams dominate. Delly aslo was not the best in the finals last season, had they had better imports might have been a different story against the JJs.

Reply #896519 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Even though Adams won the MVP last season IMO Cooks was their best player. Imports that provide what Adams did can be found around but imports that provide what Cooks does aren't affordable to NBL teams. The Kings will be fine without Adams this season.

Regardless I'm not sure why you're talking about who SEM sign for their import spots when they've already signed 2/3. That last one needs to be an absolute gun for them to be anywhere near playoff contention.

Reply #896521 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Fantastic that he's back, but I’m still underwhelmed by the Briscoe squad and coaching overall

Reply #896522 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Like I said missing out on Zhou & Thon has destroyed their off-season. They'll be scrambling now to even put together a halfway competitive roster."

No. They have a very good 1-4 and an import spot for the 5. If they get that right they'll have a team that can challenge.

Reply #896523 | Report this post

Peter  
Two years ago

Great to have Aron back on court and even better to have him start his comeback in NBL.

I can't wait to see him play live.

Reply #896525 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Looking forward to see him play, he has to be a marquee signing, he's not playing for nothing or he goes elsewhere.

Adams was far and away the kings best player last season, yes he missed the gf, damage to rest comp was done by then, just see how bad kings were before Adams hit the floor, season turn around.

Reply #896526 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Cooks was the guy that team was built around all year. Clark was the turnaround, it was his arrival that sparked things. Up until then Adams had been very inefficient.

Whenever they had Adams and Clark together to complement Cooks and Martin they were very, very hard to beat.

Reply #896527 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

"The 36ers are legit playoff contenders" (again) Oh please we have heard it so many times to believe it can be true.

Reply #896531 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

When people start posting that you don't need good Aussies to win and that MVP’s are easy to find, prolly time to end the thread

Reply #896532 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

"The 36ers are legit playoff contenders" (again) Oh please we have heard it so many times to believe it can be true.

Tell me about it.

Just enjoy the ride of high hopes and eventual disappointment by end of round 6 from Sixers nation (again).

Reply #896539 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

I wonder if he was offered a share in the club, would he be interested?

Reply #896598 | Report this post

Shaggy  
Two years ago

Hate to be a nahsayer and it would be an amazing Cinderella story, but let's be realistic. He's 35, he's had a year off, and his last gig in Toronto he was hardly getting court time. Just sayin.......

Reply #896606 | Report this post

DreamShake  
Two years ago

35 year olds with a year off behind them can come good, Horford's run this year for instance. Agree that some caution is perhaps warranted, although it's just good to see the usually tightarse Bullets make a splash. I wouldn't quite call 19 mpg hardly getting court time, more or less in line with what he's had throughout his career.

Reply #896631 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:34 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754