koberulz
Two years ago

Cam Bairstow Retires

Topic #50369 | Report this topic

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Honestly thought he had at least one good season left.

Reply #897861 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

A great player at his best but a career severely curtailed with injuries. Has the distinction of being one of just a few dozen Australians to play on the NBA hardwood. Excellent college career. Olympian. Definitely wish him all the best moving forward. Certainly could have been a more dominant force in Australian basketball if a few things fell a different way.

Reply #897863 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

First born and raised Brisbane dude to make the NBA, respect.

Bummer he's called time on the NBL but can’t be disappointed with what he’s achieved overall. Good luck to him in life after basketball.

Reply #897870 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

How would a seaon in nbl1 with GC Rollers go towards having a comebak if GC make the nbl?
I would be happy with him at USC RipCity.

Reply #897871 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Santa pretty much signaled this was on the cards a month or so ago in a FA video on the NBL's website saying Bairstow's still available and saying he hopes Bairstow plays on and doesn't retire, which meant he was considering it.

That surprised me really even though CJ had said he was unlikely to get up this season I still thought if so he would probably play on you're a long time retired but obviously he's gotten to the point where he's had a gut full of being injured all the time and just wants to move on with his life.

It's a shame but he gave it his best and did give the Sixers some good games early last season, all the best to him going forward.

Reply #897883 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

From the interview CJ did on Hoopla, i felt it was intimated that Bear was only going to return if the money was right for him and that Adelaide was unlikely to offer him the contract he desired.

Would've liked to have seen him play a final season at home in Brisbane. But he defs wouldn’t be receiving any decent coin (or some semblance of it) here.

Reply #897892 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Ben,

I doubt it was a financial thing in his retirement piece with the Courier Mail he said he had two surgeries during the off-season in the hope his body would allow him to play this season and they didn't work out plus CJ said not that long ago he was unlikely to play this season.

He's obviously decided he's had enough of all the injuries and surgeries and rather than try to play on the season after this he's just decided to pull the pin now. He would've known his chances of getting a contract this time next year would've been highly unlikely.

Reply #897895 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

wouldn't be surprised to see bear picked up as injury replacement after January

Reply #897913 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Bad luck to the poor bugger who just seemed to be one of those guys who was prone to injury. Still a great career and can always say he was an NBA player. 31 still seems young these days for a pro baller, but still a long career.

I guess a 31 year old has to consider how worthwhile it is to play for peanuts at that stage of your career as can't imagine he had no offers at all.

Reply #897921 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Thanks Zodiac, hadn't seen the Courier report.

Reply #897930 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

Its suggested that hes going to be a player agent and not knowing him personally id be very happy to have him representing me, he has contacts with NBA and seems as good a player agent as we have in this country

Reply #898008 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:21 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754