Stats
Two years ago

WA BASKETBALL HISTORY

According to the "History" page on the Basketball WA site, on Wednesday 3 April 1946 the original 'Western Australian Basketball Association' was formed by a small group of basketball enthusiasts at the Perth YMCA on Murray Street.
The sport had already been played across the state for 35 years - since 1911 – however there had been no official management or promotion of the sport.
The ‘Women’s Amateur Basketball Association of Western Australia’ was finally formed in July 1957.
District competitions were held from 1972 (Men) and 1975 (Women) until 1988.
The growing popularity of basketball across the state saw the formation of the ‘State Basketball League’ in 1989 for both for both men and women.
The inaugural season saw 12 Men’s teams in action with the Geraldton Buccaneers topping the ladder with a 19-3 record.
Following them were:- Perry Lakes Hawks (19-3), Perth Redbacks (17-5), Willetton Tigers (17-5), Wanneroo Wolves (14-8), East Perth Eagles (12-10), Stirling Senators (10-12), Souwest Slammers (9-13), WAIS Warriors (6-16), Rainbow Coast Raiders (5-17), Cockburn Cougars (4-18) and Swan City Mustangs (0-22).
The Grand Final saw the Redbacks defeat the Buccaneers 114-89.
In the Women’s competition, the Perry Lakes Hawks headed the 8-teams with a 15-6 record, ahead of the Perth Redbacks (14-7), Stirling Senators (14-7), East Perth Eagles (14-7), Cockburn Cougars (12-9), Wanneroo Wolves (9-12), Willetton Tigers (6-15) and the Swan City Mustangs (0- 21).
The Redbacks beat the Hawks 79-66 in the Grand Final.
Since then the SBL (now known as NBL1 WEST) has gone from strength to strength.
Over 30 seasons only 3 teams – WAIS Warriors, Rainbow Coast Raiders (Albany) and Swan City Mustangs – are no longer playing, and the new teams joining the competition have been the Goldfields Giants (1990), Mandurah Magic (1990), Rockingham Flames (1994), Lakeside Lightning (2000) and the Kalamunda Eastern Suns (2008).
There is a lot of history for the SBL/NBL1 WEST over those three decades.
Sadly if you check out the ‘SBL1 WEST SEASONS’ on Wikipedia, you will find information is only available from 2007-2022.
Nothing from 1989 to 2006.
In contrast every season of the NBL and the WNBL has been completed on Wikipedia.
I certainly hope that there are plans to fill in the gaps, otherwise many years of WA basketball History will be lost for ever.

Topic #50401 | Report this topic

Statman84  
Two years ago

It took quite a while to compile everything on Wikipedia. I contributed to that, especially with a few gaps from some seasons.

NBLTigers is another guy on here who did a lot of the heavy lifting with it too.

I will have a look around and see what I can dig up.

Reply #898264 | Report this post

+  
Two years ago

nice work - on the discussion of history (not in WA) - I started as junior years ago.

Some local kids' dad was a returned Aussie serviceman from the Pacific in WW2 - where fighting alongside USA troops they always played basketball for R&R - so when he returned to Aust kicked off some local clubs / competition and the rest is history.

Reply #898266 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

It took quite a while to compile everything on Wikipedia. I contributed to that, especially with a few gaps from some seasons.

NBLTigers is another guy on here who did a lot of the heavy lifting with it too.

I was extensively involved, for over a decade, with reviewing and revising the season articles and templates to a point where they became acceptable and of a standard comparable to other major sporting league entries. No one was interested at the time so I was essentially alone but when they eventually did I passed on the torch.

One major problem stemmed from dickhead users like Billy Liakopoulos ruining it for everyone by making edits with bad grammar paired with a severe lack of self awareness. Argh.

Reply #898286 | Report this post

Statman84  
Two years ago

@Perthworld

And for that sir, you are a king.

I know for years the NBL wiki pages were quite inconsistent and yuck.

It has taken a while, but they are looking a lot better. I recently focussed on getting the Coaching totals up-to-scratch (while others were looking after everything else) and that was a real effort. Luckily I got it all thanks to the websites that saves old newspaper articles.

Love your work bro!

Reply #898318 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Statman84 I had a look at the coach W-L records, excellent job. You the man.

It reminds me of something that will possibly always be a unicorn in terms of NBL data - assistant coach information pre-2000s.

Reply #898325 | Report this post

Statman84  
Two years ago

@Perthworld - oh man, don't put the idea in my head lol

I am always looking around for new stats to research, but that one might not ever be completed fully.

I love the team effort with the Wiki pages.

Reply #898332 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:45 pm, Thu 2 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754