NBLTigers
Two years ago

Darwin could be the next team

Interesting listen on the ABC of Commissioner Jeremy Loeliger about having an NBL team in Darwin.

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/darwin/programs/drive/national-basketball-team-for-darwin/101407004

NBL let's get the Darwin Dingoes for 2024!

Topic #50406 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

What stadium though?

Reply #898306 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Blitz is to see if the NT community are interested.

If the Blitz becomes a success like Tasmania then it seems the NBL will have a team there, but a new stadium and government support are the major factors for this to happen.

Having a team North makes sense because it opens the door to Asia.

Reply #898309 | Report this post

curtley  
Two years ago

Yep they need a stadium and not at current location, preferably near waterfront precinct

Reply #898313 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Go the Salties!

Reply #898315 | Report this post

Rr  
Two years ago

Would be great to have em in the league

Reply #898322 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

Someone said here a while ago it will never happen. I suggested that because the Blitz was there, that this could be a prelude to their NBL admission. I said it then that if LK can get government money from the NT they will be in, in a flash.

Reply #898324 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I said it then that if LK can get government money from the NT they will be in, in a flash.

Yes that's right so you can stop repeating yourself now.

Reply #898326 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Still won't happen. There is a reason why no other professional code has a team based out of Darwin.

Reply #898327 | Report this post

curtley  
Two years ago

No other pro sports can rely on 4.5K capacity to make a living.

Reply #898328 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

That too.

Reply #898329 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Our history shows not many of our clubs can either

Reply #898330 | Report this post

Statman84  
Two years ago

Clearly Darwin is their #1 target at the moment. Seems Canberra and Gold Coast are next on their list.

Staging the Blitz in these potential locations is such a great idea. Get the Blitz to Canberra next season, the Cannons need to be back in the league along with their 3 titles.

Reply #898331 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two years ago

Darwin has hosted the Blitz a number of times. NBL rewriting history again. There isn't enough spectator or commercial support in Darwin. This has been explored many times without success.

Reply #898333 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Q Anon +1. People have short memories. Plus the NT Government have botched this.

Reply #898334 | Report this post

Rusty  
Two years ago

This Darwin based NBL team is only being considered because it then opens up the doorway for Asian expansion.
Primarily the Philippines (4hr flight) and their millions of rabid Basketball fans along with a tonne of corporate money.
Would not be surprised if they actually bankroll some part of this Darwin team.
Later down the track a Korean / Japanese or possibly even China could apply for a NBL Team ....... LK chasing those marketing/TV $$$$

Reply #898337 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Canberra is next, I'd say 24/25 season after ais upgrades in 23/24.

Darwin possibly team 12, minimum 5 years away. Loeliger said new stadium required + corporate support

Only 3 other teams viable before 2032, would need stadium upgrades, Wellington, Townsville or Newcastle.

Other locations require new stadiums.
Geelong, West Sydney, Sunshine coast, Gold coast.

Only sc guaranteed a stadium post 2030 for the Olympics, 6,000 seat.

Reply #898338 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Maybe the NBL can lobby the government to build really fast train infrastructures from all capital cities to Darwin?

Reply #898339 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

"Yes that's right so you can stop repeating yourself now." You could simply add to the conversation rather than the usual sniping and contributing nothing as usual.

Reply #898340 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Gold Coast have their Convention Centre in Broadbeach, it's a nice centre but my guess is that it’s too dear to rent. That may of been one of the reasons Blaze folded.

I agree that Canberra should be the next nbl team by 2024. They already have a stadium plus their history with their 3 titles as Cannons.

Reply #898341 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Maybe the NBL can lobby the government to build really fast train infrastructures from all capital cities to Darwin?

Haha, what?, okay... that was a truly random thought on your part but as a result of reading it I've now got an image of LK's face superimposed on the body of the monorail guy (from The Simpsons) in my head.

"I've sold NBL clubs to SE Melbourne, Hobart and Darwin, and, by gum, it put them on the map!"

Reply #898342 | Report this post

Kev  
Two years ago

For a NBL licence to succeed in Darwin it has to be everything about the NBL and nothing to do with the local leagues. Total exclusion in conversation from the sporting bodies themselves. Then hopefully they can have their local Salties team and the locals might actually get some playing time instead of very rarely junk minutes.

Reply #898343 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Two years ago

Shouldn't Blitz tickets have sold out by now?

Reply #898629 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Not sold out tonight, small stadium also.

Reply #898849 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Let's hope the stadium they played in tonight is not going to be used in there presentations to the league. That is not NBL standards

Reply #898851 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

NT reps visit Melbourne as Darwin expansion talks pick up steam; interesting read guys. Darwin talks keep rising. They better go with Darwin Dingoes before it gets trademarked by the AFL.

Source: https://www.espn.com.au/nbl/story/_/id/34751027/northern-territory-government-melbourne-talk-nbl-expansion-team?platform=amp

Reply #900751 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

They should go with Darwin Salties as they already have a fanbase.

Reply #900757 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

NT Dingoes imo

Reply #900758 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Definitely Salties for me, has a distinct flavour to it like JackJumpers.

Reply #900759 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Has to be Salties.

Reply #900760 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Townsville crocs + nt salties, bit too similar when both are in the comp.
Same as newcastle falcons, Illawara hawks

Reply #900761 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Nothing here suggests they are getting a franchise. The Blitz was an organisational disaster.

Reply #900762 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

What makes you say that?

Reply #900764 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Two years ago

Weedy Slug

It doesn't seem to matter about similarities in names. Consider the football codes. Hawks, Magpies, Eagles, Swans, Crows.

NRL Broncoes, Cowboys; Panther, Tigers

Reply #900801 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Canberra would make more sense then Darwin or even Gold Coast. Fix up the AIS Arena with government support will make Canberra have a team, has to be Cannons with all their success in the mid-80's. I always liked the marine pirate theme for basketball.

Reply #900929 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Canberra + Wellington would make the most sense.
Probably issues though with nz breakers management and potential name change / halving fan base.

Becomes 12 team league with

Adelaide 36ers
Auckland Breakers
Brisbane Bullets
Cairns Taipans
Canberra Cannons
Illawarra Hawks
Melbourne United
Perth Wildcats
South East Melbourne Phoenix
Sydney Kings
Tasmania Jackjumpers
Wellington Saints

Future 13/14 teams I reckon
Newcastle ...
NT …

Reply #900935 | Report this post

Monix  
Two years ago

I understand why NZ would want to change their name, and I probably agree they should, but would they HAVE to ?

AFL has 'West Coast', despite Fremantle being on the West Coast.
NBA Has 'Golden State', despite 3 other teams residing in the State.

Reply #900961 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

No way will NZ change their name.

Reply #900963 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Being a truly national league and including Darwin and Canberra would be nice but are "small town clubs" with infra of ~5k cap stadium really the way to go for a sustainable league in the future?

Asian leagues are competing for our players, costs rise, we can't assume broadcast rights in this peak spending era will continue in a few years time.

I would imagine the best way forward for sustainability and being able to spend $$$ to retain talent is your big market side with 10k infra like another Sydney side or a NW Melbourne side. Not sure what Wellingtons infra is like.

Tbh I’d like to see a second NZ and a second Sydney side shape it out to 12

Reply #900968 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I would imagine the best way forward for sustainability and being able to spend $$$ to retain talent is your big market side with 10k infra like another Sydney side or a NW Melbourne side. Not sure what Wellingtons infra is like.

It's what the A-League are doing now after giving up on cities like Gold Coast and Townsville.

Macarthur (SW Sydney)
Western United (NW Melbourne)

Reply #900970 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

The two teams listed above are fairly new and were deliberately established in areas of high population growth on the outskirts of major metro areas.

I'm not sold on the strategy even though it is an interesting one as I don't see there being sufficient distance stopping locals sticking with the original teams operating in the market.

At least from a NBL standpoint they have the benefit of assessing whether it is an angle worth pursuing without dipping their feet in first.

Reply #900972 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:53 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754