Maddog
Two years ago

Melbourne United Change Of Colours.

I know their logo was always navy but is there any explanation to why Melbourne United have changed their uniform to 2 different shades of blue compared to their black and white strip?

Just generally curious and i thought the black and white was good. Too many teams with black unis in the league?

Topic #50413 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Canberra, light blue and white.

Reply #898428 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

They haven't changed colours - the lighter blue was on their jerseys last season. They just made it slightly more prominent this time.

Their colours are navy blue (not black), light blue, grey, white.

The light blue with the navy blue isn’t really much of a stretch is it?

Reply #898429 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

I thought they were always navy blue too??

Reply #898433 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

It's not a change of colour but a change of emphasis and placing of the colour. The blue is now more prominent in the font.

Reply #898434 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Are United navy due to it being a state colour of Victoria?

Reply #898438 | Report this post

swish  
Two years ago

When they changed their name to "Melbourne United" I thought they announced their main colour as navy blue , and I assumed they were adopting the Victorian state colours on navy blue and white, in an attempt to appeal to all Victorians.
Then the navy blue morphed into black, but I kept trying to if is was just a really dark navy ( pretty sure their prime colour actualy became black)

Now they are back in the state colours of navy blue and white, byt the light blue trim distracts from the state colour look. I'd rather they stay with navy and white, and possibly some grey / silver if a third colour is needed.

Reply #898440 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

When did they change to black?

Reply #898444 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Never.

Reply #898453 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

You clearly don't know anything about it ;-)

Reply #898454 | Report this post

swish  
Two years ago

I haven't seen Melb or their Merch live to know wconfirm the colour, but if they I have always tried to look closely to see their gear was actually black or blue. Sounds like it you think it was a really dark blue. The clubs website banner etc also appear very black and I think the uniform announcement made a big deal about them going blue this year.

Either way, I think the logic behind them going Blue and White was to use state colours to encourage Victorians to unite behind them after previously being based on one domestic Melbourne based club.

Reply #898455 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

The colour is known as Navy AF Blue

It's darker than the blue used by the Adelaide 36ers, who are playing Perth tonight btw

Reply #898456 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Two years ago

Desperately need the season to start...

Reply #898457 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Melbourne United are/were black.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-united-nbl-season-launch-is-uniteds-starting-lineup-the-best-ever/news-story/a685bc009fa693c263f2309126dc5024

Reply #898458 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Yeah I was going to say, it may not be listed as their "official" colour or whatever, but their unis were definitely black in the past. Not an ounce of blue in those jerseys in the heraldsun article.

Reply #898459 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

It's darker than the blue used by the Adelaide 36ers, who are playing Perth tonight btw

Clearly you have NFI - South Adelaide play Rockingham.

Reply #898460 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Ye certainly need season to start, pre season next week, than f...

Reply #898462 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Zodiac, they have always been navy blue, it's just a super dark navy.

Even in the article you provided, they include a tweet of them training in their two colours saying:

"Blue and white hit out ahead of our season opener on Thursday night in Adelaide."

Reply #898463 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I'm a United member and it’s Navy blue, yes in our 2018 championship it was black. I got last years United jersey and I actually think it’s black too with the blue sides.

Blue and black work, they still use a bit of grey then white for away games.

Just hope the nbl bring back heritage round as a third team design. I brought it up in our members zoom and United did consider the idea but they need to be aware of all the defunct past Victorian teams. I considered Tigers, Magic matchup in one Throwdown.

Reply #898465 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Bring back the Titans

Reply #898466 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

They started with this:

Then moved to this in 2016/17:

The first one is R16,G43,B82. The second is R14,G18,B37.

Reply #898467 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Yeah, always been navy blue IMO. Just very dark for a few years.

Reply #898468 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Certainly don't begrudge anyone calling it black for some of those jerseys.

I like the lighter blue being more prominent, nice design.

Not so sure about the United font on the home jersey though.

Reply #898469 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:44 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754