Daniels - Cotton
Beauchamp - Walker
Brammall - Pech
Siwek - Bucknell - Sewell

R Kangeisser, Lau, Clague

Reply #898661 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Two years ago

How do players born in 2007 qualify as u15's for a tournament in November 2022?

Are they all born in December?

Reply #898665 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

2007-0
2008-1
2009-2
2010-3
2011-4
2012-5
2013-6
2014-7
2015-8
2016-9
2017-10
2018-11
2019-12
2020-13
2021-14
2022-15

15U, U15 no matter

Reply #898667 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Jasper Hay from Tassie goes well - hope he gets picked

Reply #898672 | Report this post

benchballer  
Two years ago

Thanks Weedy, Reckon there is a few boys that must be scratching their heads wondering what they needed to do to at least get in a squad of 24. No disrespect to the 24 that got the invite but looking at the stats for the week, comparing sizes and having watched some games there are a few that maybe are pretty unlucky, or just not in with the selectors.

Do you know who the coach is as he or she obviously had no input in to selection presumably, as applicants closed after announcements were already being made, that would be a tough gig!

Reply #898674 | Report this post

Ballsee  
Two years ago

I see @ Weedy the girls list Which lads should of been picked
Now does a squad get picked if head coach wasn't appointed ?

Reply #898675 | Report this post

Wayville 74  
Two years ago

Hodges definitely got dudded, best SA girl overall for the tournament was great in the big games.

Reply #898677 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

The girls HC is an experienced women coach by all reports.

Whoever the selector was loves bigs, that's for sure
Most people would have expected jackson, crook, fagan, Hanson on the list, possibly Mailei the nsw starting c and Francis,qld nth, but to add mcrea, buttswrorth, smart, Juffermans, stewart and crase too, I don’t get it. Too many guards missed out, those who made ajcs and those that couldn’t.

Boys team think only goes 15-16 deep, a much easier side to select.

Reply #898680 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

How does Somfai not get picked? Does she not qualify because she didn't play state? She would be in the top 3 players.

I agree that Hodges should have made it also

Reply #898681 | Report this post

benchballer  
Two years ago

Having a closer look at the Boys and see some anomalies, and again no disrespect to who made the squad all obviously deserving, looking at who missed out.

QLD South play off in GF 2 get picked in squad, played in harder pool.

NSW METRO, lucky to get 5th with a 2 point win in playoff get 5 in squad, played in the weaker pool.

3 of the top ten APPG missed out, statistically and size all more than comparable if not better than of some selected.

VIC well represented as would expect, perhaps one glaring omission.

Defence will be a challenge.

That's selections I guess and the Guam tournament they will do more than alright regardless of who out the 24 is selected so it will be seen as correct. Hope the games are live streamed.

Reply #898688 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Samoan women u15 team

Azaniah afualo
Harmony seumanutafa
Jadyn Craig
Lea bella foai auimatagi
Leilani filemu
Loreal hiko
Nahala toeleiu
Riley ese
Sienna brown
Sina tofilau oliva
Vanessa tavete

Some Familiar names ...

Nz women u15 team

Anaiya Nelson, Waikato Basketball
Bailey Flavell, Harbour Basketball
Eden Tapsell, Tauranga City Basketball
Emma Rogers, Tauranga City Basketball
Emma-Kaye Schroeder, Harbour Basketball
Keija Miringaorangi, Waikato Basketball
Kodee Williams-Sefo, Harbour Basketball
Pahlyss Hokianga, Basketball Hawke's Bay
Sophia Hickey, Outside NZ
Storey Sadler, Basketball Hawke’s Bay
Waikimihia Douglas-Karauna, Rotorua Basketball
Zenthia Stowers, Harbour Basketball
Late replacement added
Maggie Manson, Southland Basketball

Reply #898709 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Maybe Carr is the coach.

Reply #898715 | Report this post

Esky68  
Two years ago

Looking at the SA girls selections there are clearly some politics at play here

You have players playing up an age group dropping 50+ in games on a winning team and they dont make the 24, as well as the state captain not making the 24, sounds like some fishy business to me

Reply #898753 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

I can only assume Somfai has made herself unavailable, if not then it's absolute stupidity on behalf of BA/BSA.

Although I do recall she sat out the prestigious Adelaide Invitational Challenge last year and this may well have meant her cards were marked with BSA HP. They do like to punish kids that don't fully buy in to their system after all.

And Hodges, to have a tall bottom ager in there over her is baffling.

Reply #898755 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Nothing changes, it always been baffling in which ever state you came from.

Reply #898756 | Report this post

benchballer  
Two years ago

The baseline chat from some SA friends, is the quality of those not selected from SA on both girls and boys side has been bewildering and for a number of years and has continued again.

Reply #898759 | Report this post

Pinch  
Two years ago

Carr is the coach @weedy

Reply #898762 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Notoa qld npp and Schwarz vic npp who made the u16 state teams but due to other circumstances didn't play in the tournament . Both those players didn’t get u15 invites either, so clearly they think it might look bad selecting players that didn’t play at ajcs, like somfai or the above even though they are putting up big numbers in domestic competition.

Reply #898763 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

The auto Coe selections and state high performance players clearly get preference, they don't like private trainers getting praise. Would look stupid having the majority of state teams or n.t filled with players that aren’t apart of the program.

Reply #898764 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

There is one NSW name there that was top age u12 when my son was bottom age.... and is now apparently bottom age u16 where my son is top. Same in the u14s bracket.

No hate, and my lad would have precisely zero chance at selection due to not being close to good enough. But by gee, are we really doing this again?

Reply #898766 | Report this post

Pinch  
Two years ago

Comments have been height around this age group is limited so taking what they can

Reply #898769 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Two years ago

Noting the comments about non-selected players - Are there any national team programs anywhere who select players who opt out of their pathway system? I'd be very surprised to learn of any player who overcame that hurdle.

Reply #898771 | Report this post

Bela  
Two years ago

Congratulations Basketball aus for not selecting one of your best players in the country. My youngest one trained with her.
Somfai told me she stood up about the high performance program. They placed her in the NPP when she was 13. She was the only button aged in the u16 state program, her teammates selected her as one of the captains for the SA team. I saw a scrimmage game against the top u18 team and Somfai outperformed everyone on the court.
I talked to her and she said they prepared for the AJC for like 7 months, the National and State program had so much on her body. One of their teammates had a serious injury during training. Despite her parents already paying $4-5000 for the tournaments BaSA didn't let her to travel with the team to Championship. Somfai tried to tell them that no organisation should leave an injured player behind, they trained together for such a long time and that she was part of the team. Even if injured player can’t play they should at least let her travel with the team.
She emailed coaches, got involved with the players and parents. Everyone were behind her.
It was really moving.
unfortunately Butler made the decision by himself and didn’t let the injured player travel with the team and cut her out. Somfai tore her ligaments in her ankle the following week. She withdrew herself from the National and State program straight away. They overtrained them and made so many of them hate playing basketball.
With her height and talent she got attention and offers from all around the world, however Bsa is punishing her for standing up and doing what was right for her. She is a one in a generational player and I'm with her on this and her choices whether that be doing state next year or never doing it again.

Reply #898777 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

All makes sense then.

The ridiculous training loads and commitment required when they are already training twice a week with their clubs and in the case of plenty of them, doing their own training as well. Not to mention school work, other sports etc and it is not surprising that some really good players are turning their backs on the system.

8 month commitment for a 1 week tournament? Sounds less like preparation and more like indoctrination.

Butler needs to go and the whole HP program streamlined and condensed.

Reply #898779 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Too many similarities here with what was recently uncovered in girls' gymnastics - over-training, coaches who treated the participants as expendable pawns in their ambitions, precious associations for which results were all that mattered, the potential for massive harm physically and emotionally, ...

Reply #898781 | Report this post

Eagle  
Two years ago

Bela whether or not what you've said is true it is completely inappropriate to claim this girl has said this. Revealing very private conversations is a bad look, especially when it’s a junior.

Reply #898782 | Report this post

Interpreter  
Two years ago

So much misinformation and an inappropriate narrative from the likes of Bela. You should be ashamed of dragging minors into your own politics on a public forum.

For all the faults of BSA and the current system, you aren't doing yourselves or the kids any favors with your antics.

Reply #898785 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Speaking your mind on a forum should be ok, hopefully bela is not crapping on but actually points out faults. I know no one from BSA but I've heard similar problems from all states in the last twenty years and probably before. It’s very hard to always agree on who should be selected but parochialism always seems in the selections.

Reply #898786 | Report this post

Ballsee  
Two years ago

@bela @eagle @interpreter
That's the issue basketball is all secret squirrel info.
Communication is shite !!
Also ! how can a squad be chosen without the coach or staff outlet based on parochial HP persons.
Ridiculous
Unfortunately HP doesn’t like the truth!!
Let’s remember as well these kids know what they are wanting to do, how much training they do.
And parochial wins - another ridiculous situ.
Totally parochialism at its finest!!
Unfortunately happens
Doesn’t make it any easier on kids girls or boys that commit in any sport.
@pinch unsure who told you height is an issue,
But any kid in the top 15 should be automatically included. Standards personal ability not team capability.
Best wishes to Somalia and any other kid that tells HP to beep beep beep.

Reply #898789 | Report this post

Ballsee  
Two years ago

Eek meant Somfai not Somallia

Reply #898790 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Any overseas based players this time round? 07/08s

We didn't see 05 klarius Amir or 04 Ky Green or 06 maper maker get a shot for the boys this last year.
04 Fearne I thought was a good shout for the girls at the recent u18 asia.

Reply #898791 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

One thing about this forum, there are too many parents on here talking shit about coaches and it's straight up toxic

Reply #898792 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Someone know who the boys HC is?

It appears Zoe Carr has been promoted to sapphires HC, she was the assistant under Tracy York at the recent u17 WC who now coaches the womens malaysian national team.

Thoughts?

Reply #898793 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Two years ago

Bela - can you define a once in a generation player? That's a big claim. What is it based upon? Who was the last generational talent for the women - Lauren Jackson?

On another note, a player just cannot be selected for a national team if they withdraw from the training program regardless of how good they are or how great they can potentially be in the future. It’s also not a good move if a player tells them what to do either, even if it is intended as a good thing - if your story is true.

If this player makes herself available for the pathway program it is plausible she might be welcome back if she’s as good as you say.

Reply #898794 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Two years ago

Sabre Tooth - why does Butler need to go?

Reply #898795 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Completely disagree, the pathway program for each state sucks big time, should never be all or nothing situation. If you are training just as hard through a different provider, it should not matter.

Reply #898796 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Two years ago

Completely disagree with you. There is not any facts to substantiate your view. Over generalisation. Things can be improved but to say EVERY state program sucks is unjustified.

Reply #898797 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Somfai would fit nicely as the starting pf on this team, no doubt about it. 188cm heading towards 6'3, guard skills with good passing/shooting/driving ability, sort of a cross between Allen/Blicavs but with better dribbling skills, an ok defender and rebounder but could be better.

Probably the position with the least depth in the squad, all tweeners 3-4s, Taylor-more of a scorer at 185cm, Russell-more of a rebounder, 185cm, Bijkerk-more of a defender, 180cm.
Fagan 189cm and Hanson 187cm can also play the 4 spot but mostly played 5 at ajc.

Reply #898798 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Not one good state program atm.
The only programs that that have lifted its game in last 2 years is nsw and tasmania.

Vic, wa, sa, qld backwards

Reply #898800 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

I should say depth of talent up, quality of training/teaching backwards.

Reply #898801 | Report this post

Footloose  
Two years ago

I agree with all you've said Weedy. Victoria in particular is heading in the wrong direction & the state pathway is one of many. Not buying into that should not keep you from being selected to National squads.

Reply #898803 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

What Bela said might have been a bit of over sharing but what was said was true and backs up what I've heard from numerous other people involved in the SA version of HP anyway. Overtraining, overly technical "BSA Style of Play" rather than improving fundamentals and worst of all, a dismissive attitude when concerns are raised about injuries.

At AJCs last year a player was put back on the court despite complaining of leg soreness to the coaches and HP manager, not long after they seriously injured it and missed the finals. Taken up with the HP manager and to paraphrase the answer was if you don't like it, leave.

Previously we've had stress fractures leading to kids retiring from basketball all together.

There's a duty of care which too often is ignored by BSA HP in their effort to cram as much training into every spare minute of the week.

I agree with WS, if a player is training hard on their own and is good enough, why can't they be chosen? They invent these super long pathways requiring 8+ months of the year specifically to be able to turn those players away. What can be so technical and complex about basketball that it needs 8 months of training on top of district training to teach?

Reply #898805 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Probably stating the obvious but ... if enough players get selected because they're better than those which go through the pathways subsidised by the state associations, then a) the pathways are going to look ineffective, b) the pathways administrators and coaches likewise, c) the association is going to look stupid for having spent so much money for so little obvious credit to the association, and d) the association will be faced with having to fix up the mess and expectations.

Politics and saving face seem to matter more than flexibility and honesty in their approach, a recognition that some kids mature at different times and speeds, and that some need a more informal approach than an academy-style one.

A competent objective organisation would allow for different ways to achieve the objective, rather than a lazier 'our way or the highway’ approach.

Reply #898822 | Report this post

Esky68  
Two years ago

The objective of the national program is to select the best possible team to best represent our country, regardless of what 'organisation' theyre from or who they are taught/coached by

All this other stuff is just pathetic politics, disrespectful to the game of basketball

Reply #899036 | Report this post

Esky68  
Two years ago

Sorry, the first half should be

'The objective ..... should be to select the best....'

Reply #899037 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Be interesting to see who gets the next 3-4 Coe scholarships, Puoch, Loughridge and Borlase to wnbl. Leaves only 1 2004 left at Coe, Gordon. No more 2005s.
2006 or 2007 born players the next to come in.

Reply #899039 | Report this post

Pinch  
Two years ago

I've heard the name of one that starts January and another but only what state she is from, no name.

Reply #899053 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

04 5'6 D.Loughridge PG > (Southside flyers)
06 5'7 S.Harvey PG
05 5’9 R.Gray CG
04 5’11 I.Borlase G/F > (Adelaide Lightning)
05 6’0 J.Clark G/F
06 6’1 S.Shiels G/F
04 6’2 N.Puoch CF > (Southside Flyers)
05 6’2 S.Hanson PF
05 6’2 J.Petrie PF
06 6’2 O.Bird PF
04 6’4 E.Gordon C
05 6’4 I.Juffermans C
06 6’7 S.Portlock C

Loughridge, Borlase, Puoch gone now.
I’d move on 05s Gray, Hanson (unlikely to make u18 asia/u19 WC team imo)
06s have a chance another WC shot in 2025 so I doubt any will be released.

Opens up 5 spots.
Think they’ll bring in 2-3 guards, 1-2 forwards, 1 centre

Reply #899065 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:53 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754