Frisbee14
Two years ago

Deng Acuoth suspended

Adelaide 36ers centre Deng Acuoth will miss the opening game of the NBL season after being handed a one-match betting suspension.

The betting activities occurred while Acuoth was playing in the NBL1 competition and prior to him signing with the 36ers.

The 211cm big man was not under contract to any NBL team when the betting activities occurred, but still breached the rules.

A Basketball Australia tribunal issued Acuoth with a 10-match ban, but nine of those games will be suspended subject to no additional breaches.

Acuoth, who has previously been with the Sydney Kings and South East Melbourne Phoenix, has also been fined $2300.

He is free to play in Adelaide's upcoming clashes with NBA outfits Phoenix Suns and Oklahoma City Thunder.

But Acuoth will miss the 36ers' season opener against the Tasmania JackJumpers on October 13.

Topic #50448 | Report this topic

curtley  
Two years ago

Made the News Limited websites, good publicity for the NBL

Reply #899822 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Not much of a surprise to me I've never gotten the impression there is much going on between his ears.

Reply #899826 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

They can tie it into a Sportsbet ad!

Reply #899828 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Doesn't make sense when he wasn’t on a NBL team roster while placing the bets.

Can’t NBL1 players place bets?

Reply #899838 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Two years ago

No they can't.

Reply #899843 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Two years ago

It appears players (like Acuoth) are prohibited from placing bets on NBL games if they are involved in the NBL1 competition.

Reply #899844 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

All basketball betting by players including NBA is prohibited

Reply #899849 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

As mandated by Basketball Australia.

Reply #899850 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

1.) What competitions are authorised for betting in Australia?

Betting markets are authorised for the following competitions:
• International matches (e.g. Boomers and Opals)

• NBL
• WNBL
• NBL1

Basketball Australia does not authorise or endorse any other betting on the sport of basketball in Australia.

2.) I play in one of these leagues, can I bet on other Australian basketball competitions?

No. If you play in a league or competition that is subject to betting, then betting, gambling or entering into any other form of financial speculation on any Competition or on any Event, alone or in conjunction with others, is prohibited.

Reply #899851 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:21 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754