Poor plays
Lack of movement
Inability to make change
When Australia needs calmness she can't portray it or deliver it
Poor excuse of a national coach

Topic #50452 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

People are going to think I posted this under a different username...
She's done better than expected and no way Stirling gets rid of her.

Reply #900031 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

The team has done better, is it because Jackson has returned and show how a team works. I think they will keep Sandy but I'd like a change if there is better. A few more athletes that can stretch the floor, #9 getting injured and #5 should got more time didn’t help.

It’s been a great tournament all round of which Australia should be proud of on and off the floor.

Basketball a real world, number two in team sports after football.

Reply #900037 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Asia cup 23, Olympics 24, coukd be time for a HC change after wnbl season finish.

Reply #900041 | Report this post

Mr. Cam  
Two years ago

The Opals have a serious problem. What can Basketball Australia do between now

and Paris to rebuild the Opals roster? They have less than two years to replace:

Tess MADGEN Guard 32-34, Marianna TOLO Center 33-35, Cayla George Forward 33-35,

Lauren JACKSON Center 41-43, & Samantha Whitcomb 5'10" 34-36. Izzy Anstey & Isla

JUFFERMANS are not next level players and yet they are the ONLY front court players

Australia's Centre of Excellence has produced after Ezi MAGBEGOR.

Reply #900042 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Something like...

1 PG TBD
Whitcomb - should offer something still in 24'
Melbourne
Wallace
Talbot
Allen
1 of Maley, Blicavs, Kunek
Garbin
Smith
Magbegor
Aokuso
Tolo - should offer something still in 24’

Melbourne replaces Madgen
Smith replaces George
Aokuso replaces Jackson, small minutes at 5

Reply #900043 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Sandy supposed to make those layups and Free throws now?

Reply #900044 | Report this post

Mr. Cam  
Two years ago

As for the Opals your first problem is that your team does not have any point

guards. In fact, the Opals do not have any point or shooting guards in the

pipeline. Neither Jade Melbourne 20 years 5' 10" or Shyla "The Midget"

Heal 21 years 5' 6" are next level players. IF Jade Melbourne & Shyla Heal

represent the best guard talent available for Paris, then Australian Basket-

ball has failed to produce your next generation back court. And that means

the Opals will be in deep trouble in Paris and FIBA's 2026 Basketball World

Cup for Women. The Opals have ONE point guard and two shooting guards in

Sydney, Kristy Wallace, Tess Madgen 32, & and Samantha Whitcomb 34. Not a

one of them has ever been, nor will they ever be, next level players. Another

glaring example of your SHALLOW guard pool.

Rhyne Howard 6"2" Born: April 29, 2000 (age 22 years) [WNBA 2022 ROY] is an

example. Jade Melbourne 20 years 5' 10" & Shyla “The Midget” Heal 21 years

5' 6" cannot carry Howard's SHOELACES much less compare themselves as players

to Rhyne. Howard will be in Paris in 2024. And who exactly on the Opals can

guard her?

Basketball Australia does not

have ONE player who lives in the same SOLAR system that she lives in.

Reply #900045 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Gotta say, I'm enjoying not being Hoops's least popular poster.

Reply #900046 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Kobe, you aren't in the same ballpark as our US contributor (& don’t even try to be).

Reply #900048 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Bit odd to be slagging off the coach when this Opals team has, as I understand it, vastly exceeded all expectations (even if they lose badly tomorrow)?

Reply #900052 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Way above expectation if we win a medal, but still

66% ain't a great win rate for an opals coachOver 5 years.

Previous coach, Joyce was 84% and he got the can after 1 bad tournament.
Before that Graf, Stirling and maher were 85%+

Reply #900054 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Some of the previous coaches had prime Jackson though, it makes a huge difference having the goat. The lack of blooding youth with senior players hurts though.

Reply #900055 | Report this post

Tired Weevil  
Two years ago

Gotta say, I'm enjoying not being Hoops's least popular poster.

- You'll never be least popular as long as old mate is here, kobe ;)

Reply #900057 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

How many major tournaments have the Opals played in the last 20 years where they didn't have one of the best players in the world at the time? (Jackson, Taylor, Cambage)

Reply #900059 | Report this post

LLKK  
Two years ago

The last timeout was an embarrassment. Players didn't know who was on. Wallace thought she was on going at the last second.

Reply #900064 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Agree that last time out or time ouch was so confusing... players looking confused as ifyou mean me ???? Talbot the player not even an chance of seeing the ball.... indecision costly when loose.

Reply #900066 | Report this post

Shotblocker  
Two years ago

Stirling needs to go, then start trimming branches down the tree, firstly they need a coach who actually lives in Australia , and players need to commit to their country , right now training camps have been ( and will continue to be of sandy stays coach ) dictated by thebWNBA who won't release players for national duty but fine with their own
Then they need to look further than the institute for players , frankly very few coming through are potential PGs in the next 4 years, they need to hold a camp and invite what Australia has within the WNBL and the NBL1 ranks , what they currently have in the squad are just not good enough, and put more effort into
Working with PG s and shooting guards instead of always the bigs
Bigs are not in short supply any more .

Jackson, George, Madgen need to retire now ,Tolo, and Whitcomb are getting to that stage too, and under Brondello they have had no succession planning at all .
It’s cost is now and will cost us over the next ten years if they don’t cut out the deadwood at the top

Reply #900069 | Report this post

Kev  
Two years ago

China plays better ball then we do. Is this carry over from Tom Maher and Michelle Timms influence? Sandy's time is up, but who do we replace her with is our problem.

Reply #900070 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Agree that last time out or time ouch was so confusing... players looking confused as ifyou mean me ???? Talbot the player not even an chance of seeing the ball.... indecision costly when loose."

It appeared confusing because of the late personnel change, but they got exactly the shot Brondello drew up so the players obviously understood it.

Reply #900071 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Seebohm clearly

Reply #900072 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Stirling at the top is a real problem though.

Reply #900073 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

I'm not a huge Brondello fan, but my only real issue with this campaign was the lack of an extra guard, and that's been well discussed. Apart from that this campaign has been a very good one. Hopefully they can finish it off with a medal, but it will be a huge ask after last night's exertion.

Reply #900081 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Should LJ have played mire minutes...can contribute so mainly ways...

Reply #900084 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Watch the press conference, Sandy speaks about this.

Reply #900085 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Bro deli

Reply #900087 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Opals played hard, up against Xu Han made it difficult.'

Yep some plays could have been improved on down the stretch but it is what it is. Magbegor improved as tournament went on

They do not believe sniping and cheap shots - they are team to be proud of.

Reply #900088 | Report this post

The Big Duke  
Two years ago

I have mixed feelings regarding the late game coaching, mainly negative.

After the Talbot turnover we call a timeout with 46 seconds remaining, the result of that play was a shot clock violation and China with the ball and the shot clock off. This was appalling on two levels, one we couldn't even get a look after having a timeout to draw something up and two we gave up our 2 for 1 advantage. Any logical coach would've set up a quick hitter and taken your shot at around 32-35 seconds. That way if you missed and China were to score, you would have the opportunity to use your last timeout and draw something up. If China were to miss you would have the game in your hands.

The last play that was drawn up I actually liked the rationale behind it, Ezi was the only one who looked like making a contested layup on the night. It was a decent look so no knocks on that. In saying that, with Whitcomb fouled out did we really want to go to overtime? I would have gone for the win in that situation with how tired we were and having to play one guard down.

With how experienced the group is that result disappoints me and the above failings can only lead back to direction from the coach.

Reply #900091 | Report this post

BeardedNoodleGoat  
Two years ago

Australia and sh$t end of game plays. Is there a more iconic duo.

Reply #900095 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

I'm very proud of how the Opals played after the France game. And, obviously, Sandy coached to the best of her ability and the girls generally played to the best of theirs.

However, given the first and last games and the way some of our more experienced players basically panicked or went missing makes me think that the big improvement in the Opals play was basically due to LJ’s influence on their mindset before and after the games, and her impact during the games, rather than Sandy’s influence. Or maybe both?

Sandy may be a good X’s and o’s coach, and she’s certainly experienced, but I’m not convinced she’s a great motivator or provides the level of control needed when things start going haywire.

I’d like to see someone else get the chance for the next two years. If it doesn’t work, then Sandy will be two years more experienced, which would be to our advantage if we call on her again.

Reply #900096 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

This was particularly brutal:

36 - 40
Q3 | 6:57

32 Samantha Whitcomb 3rd of 3 free throws missed

36 - 40

32 Samantha Whitcomb 2nd of 3 free throws missed

36 - 40

32 Samantha Whitcomb 1st of 3 free throws missed

Reply #900097 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Oops, wrong thread.

Reply #900099 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Bro deli

Was the thread renamed? Sad if so.

Reply #900100 | Report this post

Anonymou22  
Two years ago

Coaching change needed asap but BA just won't do it

Even if they did it would be Chambers stepping up. Seems to be a woke approach were we are only having female head coaches going forward which is limiting

I would probably go with an experienced ex NBL coach for Paris with Seebolm as the lead assistant transitioning post Paris.

Our offensive limitations have been exposed under Brondello,eg v China too much Horns stuff when China was ov mkerlaying the lanes and leaving the backdoor open.

Then we had players going rogue on the breakdown and shooting bricks and airballs. This highlighted lack of on court leadership / point guard depth.
When you have players like Blicsav playing big minutes they need to be able to make the 3 at a high percentage to open up the floor.

Panic down the stretch instead of calmness doesn't help.

Bite the bullet BA.

A22

Reply #900105 | Report this post

Frog39  
Two years ago

I think Sandy and the team have been great this tournament. People are so overly critical and frankly pretty spoilt after the Jackson/Taylor era of freakishly good players. We don't have the same funding for the AIS/Centre of Excellence as we once did, so that's a start. China has been training together for 5 months and we only just lost to them after their extensive prep.

We've also bounced back amazingly after the toxic Cambage years and debacle and I would have loved to see Jenna stay on for this tournament and actually retire on a good note after enduring all those toxic Cambage years. I also think Brondello has had it tough with Liz too, she was a cancer and the whole group look refreshed since her departure. LJ 100000x better presence and I do think she should have got a little more time against China.

I do agree we're thin in the guards and yes the next gen aren't looking as strong. However, don't like the negativity as though the world is about to fall in, especially after such a positive WC.

I also find it funny you've complained about the age of the current group, yet happy for Kunek who is same age as Madgen to go in. Lol.

Reply #900106 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

+1 A22

Reply #900107 | Report this post

LLKK  
Two years ago

Next generations will also be thinned out with football getting bigger and better.

Reply #900110 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Sandy may be a good X's and o’s coach, and she’s certainly experienced, but I’m not convinced she’s a great motivator"

Do you feel the team has played like they lack motivation?

Reply #900112 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Against France, I wasn't convinced

Reply #900115 | Report this post

Anonymou22  
Two years ago

Bronze medal doesn't change my view about this situation.

France beats Serbia and we a 5th to 8th, probs end up 5th but who knows.

Then we go back to the semi, LJ asked why didn't you play more minutes "I don't call the subs" is a telling comment in a one point game. Sure we would have got touched up by USA but we need to be in the ring with them.

Some of the fringe players had good games in the medal playoff game, but just weren't consistently at the level throughout the tournament

A 22

Reply #900253 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Sandy is not one for change, it'll probably be a very similar squad in 2024.

Possibly

- Jackson(retired) and Maley(hardly used)
Replaced by
- Smith(late cut for Garbin) and Melbourne(the only reserve)

Roster + age in 2024

Whitcomb(36)-Madgen(35)
Talbot(30)-Wallace(28)-Melbourne(22)
Allen(32)-Blicavs(31)
Magbegor(25)-Garbin(30)-Smith(28)
Tolo(35)-George(35)

As you can see, very old squad, avg 31y.o.

I doubt this team will be as competitive, 2 years on the body + opponents probably won’t have the same amount of absent players due to injury and we should see alot more talent and youth in squads.

Past to present?

2018 squad
PS5 - Ebzery, Talbot, Allen, George, Cambage
Subs - Lavey, Whitcomb(replaces inj Mitchell), Madgen, Ohea, Smith, Magbegor, Bunton(replaces inj Tolo)

2020 squad
PS5 - Mitchell(returns from inj), Talbot, Allen, Magbegor, George
Subs - Lavey, Ebzery, Madgen, Ohea, Blicavs(Cambage leaves), Smith, Tolo(returns from inj)

2022 squad
PS5 - Whitcomb(replaces retired Mitchell), Talbot, Allen, Magbegor, Tolo
Subs - Wallace(replaces Lavey), Madgen(replaces retired Ebzery), Maley(replaces retired Ohea), Blicavs, Garbin(replaces smith), George, Jackson(replaces Cambage)

2024 squad???
PS5 - Whitcomb, Talbot, Allen, Magbegor, Tolo
Subs - Wallace, Melbourne, Madgen, Blicavs, Garbin, Smith, George

Reply #900263 | Report this post

Kanga  
Two years ago

Whitcomb will not be in Paris. Watch the China game.

Reply #900264 | Report this post

SP  
Two years ago

George will have a newborn child. Whitcomb and Tolo - do they want to commit for two extra years? I would not consider any of them to be locks. Garbin, Blicavs and Maley are fringe players - I would not assume automatic lock status either. The Opals program is one in transition - I think we will need to wait a bit before we can make decisive statements about who will be there for the 2024 Olympics

Reply #900269 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

This is not the squad I would choose, but given sandys track record for 12 years, it would not suprise me if this was the squad or close too. We know she loves exp players, players with familiarity to her and the system she runs and height, she likes to big, 8 of 12 players over 6'2 at this WC.
doesn’t seem to be a fan youth, ball handlers and not too fussed about speed.

Whitcomb will be there Imo, maybe not as a starter but off the bench, Tolo also.
Madgen and George are done I think, Blicavs, Garbin and Maley maybes.

In
Lavey
Melbourne
Wallace
Whitcomb
Talbot
Allen
Smith
Magbegor
Tolo

The other 3 TBD
Id go 1 guard, 1 forward, 1 center

Reply #900277 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

She just won Bronze at the worlds. She is not getting the chop. You people are delusional

Reply #900279 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Not long ago some were predicting we wouldn't get out of the group stage, so those people should surely view bronze as an impressive achievement.

Reply #900280 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

3rd, rose gold. Certainly better than expected.
Close to finishing 2nd or 7th.

TBF though, talent at this World Cup was down.

2022 WC outs
France loss (No Johannes, Gruda, Epoupa, Vukosaljevic, Miyem)
Mali win
Serbia win (No Milic, Dugalic)
Canada win (No Edwards, Pellington, Ayim, Ekunwe)
Japan win (No Machida, Motohashi, Hayashi)
Belgium win (No Meeseman)
China loss (No Meng)
Canada win (No Edwards, Pellington, Scott, Ayim, Ekunwe)

When some of these players come back, going to be much more difficult competition.

Reply #900281 | Report this post

Red84  
Two years ago

Kanga - completely agree.
I just saw the game. Whitcomb tries really hard. She is a passionate player who does really good things on the court, her steal with 6 mins to go was a major blow to China. But she is like a tennis player who hits a winner and then every point thereafter, gets impatient, looks for more winners but ends up making unforced errors.
It reflects a low basketball IQ. Her lack of composure and excessive aggression in last 5 mins led to 2 costly fouls. In our off post our final timeout, she took an enternity to dribble up the court, and then dribbled on the same side of the split line as 3 of her team mates who were set up to run off ball screens, effectively stranding them.

Reply #900282 | Report this post

GordonG  
Two years ago

SP
A couple of hours ago

George will have a newborn child.

Really?

Reply #900283 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

You watch a couple of boneheaded plays vs China and all of a sudden she's not good enough for cameos off the bench in 2024?

Would love to know who you think the best replacement for Sami would be...

Reply #900284 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Yeah, that's the thing isn't it.
Fine for people to say who they would discard, but they then need to nominate the superior replacement.

< 2 years before France 2024 tips off.
That's a pretty short time in international basketball.

FWIW I thought Sami was absolutely crucial to our success. Arguably the most irreplaceable player in the side.
Our #1 immediate need is to take load off her. I mean for starters she should ideally be playing zero minutes at the 1 spot so we can actually utilise her strengths as a scorer. But if we're going to force her to handle the ball then 28mpg in 8 mostly very tough games in 10 days is insanity.

Someone else needs to stand up and demand a spot in the 12 with their play.

Reply #900285 | Report this post

Red84  
Two years ago

Weedy - I presume you are referring to my comment made just earlier.
As I mentioned - Whitcomb gives the team a lot of energy and heroics, but is a poor decision maker in a position that requires high quality decision making. No coach, no matter how good they are, can be effective in drawing up late match plays if the point guard goes off the reservation. This is the most important game the Opals will play in 2 years - so it is a big deal and we can't just discount what has happened. I don't necessarily recommend replacing her - as you imply, there are not a lot of outstanding replacements out there. But - at a bare minimum - she needs to be coached very closely, which given her seniority, is not good. In terms of an old head on young shoulders - I'd recommend Jade Melbourne. Granted she won't give you the hero ball antics of Whitcomb or Wallace deep into the game. But she seems to understand her importance as a role player. She looks after the ball, she executes plays better.

Reply #900287 | Report this post

SP  
Two years ago

I don't think Jade Melbourne is a substantially better decision maker than Whitcomb. Her NBL1 performance shows that she’s still a work in progress in this area. She can play point guard but she’s really a 2 guard with instincts like Wallace. She will be solid for the Opals but I don’t think she’s an upgrade at the point. I suspect Whitcomb will be our primary point guard at the 2024 Olympics with Talbot running the offence at times. There are some younger prospects who could help, but they won’t be the primary option in two years time.

Reply #900289 | Report this post

Red84  
Two years ago

"...a substantially better decision maker"

Well what we saw against China was 3 failures at crucial stages of the most important game at a WC. So it does not get much worse than that. I ask the question - would Melbourne have done that? I think not.

Reply #900290 | Report this post

SP  
Two years ago

As for Cayla George's impending child, this link has the details

https://www.abc.net.au/article/101454144

Reply #900291 | Report this post

SP  
Two years ago

Sorry, the link to the George article is here

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-22/cayla-george-baby-girl-fiba-womens-basketball-world-cup/101454144

Reply #900293 | Report this post

SP  
Two years ago

Melbourne is not a natural point guard and inexperienced internationally. I really don't think she would be better than Whitcomb at the point in a pressure situation.

Reply #900301 | Report this post

SP  
Two years ago

Re: point guard, Talbot does a solid job at directing the offence if somebody else does the ball handling. It's not an ideal situation, but I think it is what works with the current Opals setup. I agree Whitcomb needs to play off the ball more and hope the coaching staff recognises this.

Reply #900302 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Atm, for 2024 I got
(Paris Olympics is in july 2024)

Guards
Lavey PG
Whitcomb CG
Melbourne CG
Wallace CG
+1 SG

Forwards
Talbot G/F
Allen SF
+1 CF

Magbegor PF/C
Tolo C
+1 C

Reply #900305 | Report this post

AssistantsPen  
Two years ago

From the TV we seemed obsessed with Dribble Hand Offs and onball screens but never looked like we were running stuff on offence that suited the players we had, expecting Tolo just to rebound misses.

I never felt like our games were fun to watch on either end, always a bit clunky and fumble filled.

Reply #900315 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Guards
Lavey PG
Whitcomb CG
Melbourne CG
Wallace CG
+1 SG

I'd happily take Lavey, but with team culture very much on the mend she would need to commit to the program and that's obviously not a given.
Seems like Melbourne has been anointed the next spot in the 12, which I'm good with.
What we need is some positive pressure for guard spots, so I'm hoping Mangakahia kicks some arse this WNBL season to throw her hat in the ring.

Reply #900318 | Report this post

Tired Weevil  
Two years ago

I have to admit that I never really saw what the big deal was about Tolo until now. Always just saw her as a decent player but not great/outstanding. This tournament completely changed my mind. Thought Sami was excellent too apart from some questionable shot selections in the China game.

Reply #900325 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

I agree with you, Luuuc, but I'd like to see the promising players named to training squads AND actually get the opportunity to get used to international ball.

We already seem to be ruling Garbin and Marley out of contention for Paris, but they never really had the chance to get used to the game and to play into form, which I think was very unfair to them.

Would Mangakahia, Melbourne, Smith, etc, actually get enough opportunity under Sandy? Probably only if we see a number of retirements.

Reply #900326 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

The bits Garbin got were very good, can't remember which game, but she actually changed the momentum back to Australia, plays good D as well.

Reply #900328 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

We already seem to be ruling Garbin and Marley out of contention for Paris, but they never really had the chance to get used to the game and to play into form, which I think was very unfair to them.

On what basis do you say we're ruling out Garbin & Maley?
I don't get that impression.

With LJ retired, that frees up a spot that presumably belongs to Melbourne right at this minute.
That leaves a better balanced 12 with both Maley & Garbin included.
Personally I think Garbin is worthy of a spot. She's always in the right place at the right time and makes good decisions. Almost like the Nick Kay of the Opals.
Maley is still on an upward trajectory and as a newbie to the program was always going to start as the last player called on. I think her role only increases from now on.

Opportunities for other guards will come in other tournaments like the Asia Cup.
Hopefully Wallace & Whitcomb are in the WNBA again next season, Talbot definitely will be, so that leaves vacant a heap of guard minutes for any internationals played during our winter.

Reply #900344 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:15 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754