Frisbee14
Two years ago

Tim Brenton new BSA CEO

Tim joins Basketball South Australia after a successful career in the sporting industry most recently as the General Manager of Adelaide Lightning and before that as a consultant for Basketball South Australia.

Co-Founder of the Aboriginal Basketball Academy, and former NBL player, Tim will bring not only a business and politically savvy mindset but a wealth of relevant basketball knowledge and experience that is unparalleled.

Basketball South Australia Chairman, Wade Burns welcomes Tim to Basketball South Australia describing him as the ideal person to lead the organisation, "After conducting a national CEO recruitment search, Tim was identified as the ideal candidate from an exceptional list of applicants."

“His depth of basketball expertise, across a multitude of roles and functions, coupled with demonstrable business achievements, ensures that Tim will lead Basketball South Australia with authority and credibility.”

The panel, including representatives of key stakeholder groups, believe Tim'sskills and personal attributes areexceptionally well suited to driving positive change to further enhance the sport of basketball, at all levels, within South Australia.

“With a high degree of professionalism, integrity, and self-awareness, Tim’s people-centric approach and genuine ability to build positive partnerships will hold him in good stead to lead Basketball South Australia into the future,” said Wade.

Tim is thrilled to be the new CEO of Basketball South Australia and is looking forward to elevating the sport in the state.

“I love everything about our sport, and I am looking forward to the opportunities on and off the basketball court.”

“Basketball has seen considerable growth over the last five years and most recently with the success of the Commonwealth Games Men’s and Women’s 3×3 teams and FIBA World Cup Opals Bronze medal, this is an exciting time to be part of the sport,” Tim said.

“I share a positive and strong connection with Basketball South Australia and the wider basketball community. I have the belief and confidence that I can oversee and lead all commercial activities as well as ensure all facets of the sport are improved across South Australia including facilities, membership, competitions, and stakeholder partnerships.”

Tim will commence as Chief Executive Officer on Monday, 31 October 2022.

Topic #50474 | Report this topic

Hanging Round  
Two years ago

Great appointment. Big job but the right man for the job

Reply #900576 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Is this the same bloke played for the Devils back in the day, also played for Adelaide?

Reply #900578 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

West Adelaide great. Coaches at the cats...

Reply #900581 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Scout yes it is. I can't remember him playing for the Devils but I definitely remember him playing for the 36ers.

Reply #900582 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Two years ago

Scout - yes. He played 1 season with Hobart (1996).

Reply #900591 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Tim may be the perfect guy. Knows the local scene with experience at club level, wnbl, as well as other community agencies. Plus he's a straight shooter who won't take any crap.

Reply #900596 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Two years ago

Interesting references to people skills and politics.

Is his brief to communicate and consult with basketball community in SA, or to achieve growth through marketing and lobbying governments for funding and redevelopment plans?

Reply #900808 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Two years ago

Great get. 36ers should have got him as 36ers to try to stop the rot of late.

Reply #901068 | Report this post

Armageddon  
Two years ago

Not surprised by the minor fanfare.

Seems like a job for the boys.

Has he ever done anything in grassroots basketball? Lightning job was a PR role. BSA need an overhaul.

No one from an interstate association with interest?

Just when we need someone who can provide some direction and vision we get an ex player.

Greeeeat

Reply #901076 | Report this post

Hooper  
Two years ago

Armageddon, may I suggest you do a little homework on Tim before you label him as just an "ex-player".

Reply #901262 | Report this post

Armageddon  
Two years ago

Thanks I've done some actually. I get he's done a bit in basketball but not within BSA. Coached a bit but that's irrelevant for a CEO role.

I'm all ears if you've got something to add.

Reply #901286 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

For someone that has actual experience in basketball in South Australia is definitely a plus. Way better than a person who has no idea and just a bureaucrat who pushed some papers in badminton Victoria for example. Has experience as a player in juniors, seniors and high performance, plus coaching and a parent.
He's not been promoted from within BSA so not from the current environment and the problems from the inside. So not being from BSA is a big tick.
In fact he's completely opposite to his predecessor in terms of background, and not many people had confidence in him.
He may be a total failure, but at least they have gone out of the box in terms of getting a new boss with what you would consider impartiality. Has done a lot more than coach a bit.

Reply #901297 | Report this post

Armageddon  
Two years ago

Certainly an upgrade on the previous CEO. In saying that my 12 year old would be too.

Reply #901315 | Report this post

Hooper  
Two years ago

I thought you said you had done your homework, Armageddon?

Reply #901654 | Report this post

Armageddon  
Two years ago

I've tried.

But it seems others here are unsure he's the right person given the current state of BSA.

What I know of his history doesn't fill me with confidence. Neither does talking to other old school basketball people.

I hope I'm wrong. I want basketball to fix its course and SA basketball to again grow and improve and repair the toxicity and bias issues.

I hope he can lead SA basketball. I just don't believe he is.

Please fill me in on reasons for me to believe.

Reply #901657 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:44 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754