Nobuckets
Two years ago

Request: NBL overview

I have been trying to find something like a blog post that gives an overview of the NBL. I haven't watched more than a few games but would really like to find a team to follow in Australia. Knowing how I enjoy watching basketball, my most likely way in is to find a team that has an exciting style of play with a good club culture to follow.

So here’s my request: if the blog post/forum thread exists, can someone please direct me to it. If not, or anyway, can you please summarise an NBL team. What do they do well on and off the court? Who is the owner/ownership group? Why should an NBL newbie support them?

Much appreciated!

Topic #50494 | Report this topic

Cat 39  
Two years ago

https://basketnews.com/news-175331-nbl-an-in-depth-look-at-the-mysterious-australian-basketball-league.html

Reply #901113 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

What qualities do you most value in a basketball team?

Second question, prompted by some recent discussion here: do you really really really hate 3 point baskets?

Reply #901114 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Melbourne United- representing the sporting capital of Australia and potentially the world

The Melbourne Tigers had a long and rich history and were rebranded as Melbourne United in 2014.

Recent successes include titles in 2018 and 2021 under coach Dean Vickerman, with sharp shooting guard Chris Goulding a staple throughout.

Jump on board!

Reply #901120 | Report this post

Nobuckets  
Two years ago

Cat 39 - that's a great overview. Thank you!

Luuuc - I value good youth development, good club culture and an exciting system of play. Read & React, 5 out motion offense, spread pick & roll stacked with 3 point shooters? Sign me up. No problems with the 3 point line.

LV - Chris Goulding was great in Tokyo. I’ll take a look at some games.

Reply #901122 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I value good youth development

The NBL has no involvement in this area.

Reply #901136 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

I'd say there are at least 10 players on NBL rosters who have come through the Breakers academy.

Reply #901139 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

You're right, I forgot about the Breakers academy.

No other team in the league does though.

Reply #901199 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

So there we have it - I suggest you support the NZ Breakers OP.

Reply #901200 | Report this post

Nomsky  
Two years ago

are there any news about some import players contract value? have been curious to find out about that.

Reply #901210 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

My advice would be don't get too attached.

Reply #901221 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"You're right, I forgot about the Breakers academy. No other team in the league does though."

https://taipansacademy.com/

Reply #901225 | Report this post

mball  
Two years ago

"You're right, I forgot about the Breakers academy. No other team in the league does though."

https://taipansacademy.com/

Taipans Academy has not been running for a few years now unfortunately.

Reply #901231 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

What have they replaced it with? Forde was talking the other day about the pathway they have for local ballers from youth upwards to NBL.

Reply #901232 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Hopefully one day there will be a NBL youth league to create a sense of urgency amongst those passive local players in the first team who go through the motions and are far too comfortable because they know there is no one to replace them with during the season.

Essentially as a local there is no possibility of being dropped from the squad no matter how much you stink it up.

It's been a blight on the league and now with LK's resources is possible. Imagine ten hungry DPs per side going at it sourced from a club's respective state league played as curtain raisers.

Reply #901242 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

I like the idea of a youth league. Interested to know who you think the passive local players are?

Reply #901243 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Youth team could consist of:

The four development players (DPs) in the first team squad. Instead of sitting on the pine and rarely playing they would get a full workout in the lower tier.

Plus four to six DPs representing the best youth sourced from the state league of each respective NBL franchise to reduce the need for relocation costs.

Imagine the hunger and thirst.

You're welcome LK. Now get it done.

Reply #901244 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I like the idea of a youth league. Interested to know who you think the passive local players are?

I should have said players suffering from lack of form as well - you can imagine Harry Froling being demoted several times under such a system.

Historically though Stephen Weigh comes to mind as the top candidate for passivity, and his lack of urgency made perfect sense once his retirement plans were revealed. So incredibly frustrating.

Reply #901245 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I like the rebranding of the state leagues to NBL1 but aside from the name there is still no direct link with the NBL in terms of a pathway for players. It's purely a marketing exercise at this point in time.

A youth league would create a tangible connection between the two as follows:

NBL
NBL Rising Stars (or whatever branding)
NBL1

This way if a player is under a certain age and balls out during a state league season there is a spot available with the local NBL's youth/second team in summer. Perform well there and a call-up to the senior squad is a possibility.

Imagine the great PR generated if a player made it all the way to NBL starter during one winter-summer cycle.

Reply #901247 | Report this post

Jonno  
Two years ago

Perthworld, my solution to the problem of locals having guaranteed spots year after year no matter how hard they try is more imports, id go to at least 5, it means less guaranteed spots for locals to just cruise in, this is with the understanding some imports will be cheaper like Walker, some will be studs like Cotton and others will be somewhere in-between.

If you want to have links the to NBL1 you could say import 5 has to have played atleast 20 NBL1 games.

I dont mind the youth league idea, but not sure there is really much talent beneath the NBL to really push guys in the NBL and i dont think Hary Froling dominating at a lower level is going to push him or develop him further, but an import spot who could take his job completely may.

Reply #901250 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

I don't think there is an issue with locals having spots year to year. It's a bloody competitive market in Australia, with lots of guys who can play and not many spots.

Harry Froling is a good example of a cruiser, but he's just blessed that he's 6'11 with skills. Those are hard to come by anywhere.

Reply #901251 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Walker is a good example for an import, not offering more than some locals could, and that third import Brisbane had last season, absolutely woeful, took the spot of some Australian player.
Look at Kuol from Cairns, never given a look in, gets last spot on list last season and now is a starter. Players are out there, it's the recruiting system in Australia that’s not working. Other lesser Australian players head to Europe, yes some in the lesser leagues but most don’t get a look in in nbl, Naar being a good example, how could Brisbane use a point guard that passes the ball at present, and yes I know they have got this high iq guy, so the commentary tell me. Lol.

Reply #901254 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

Actually, this is a much better suggestion than constant hypothesising about which city should have an NBL team next. A youth/reserves league would be useful to vote to develop young players in a competitive setting as well as potentially provide an opportunity for guys at the end of the bench to be playing some minutes, including those out of form or recently returning from injury. It could be set up as players under the age of under 23 with maybe up to 3 overage players suiting up per game. You can play this is a curtain raiser to the main game.

Reply #901268 | Report this post

mball  
Two years ago

"What have they replaced it with? Forde was talking the other day about the pathway they have for local ballers from youth upwards to NBL."

I don't know anything about this but would be like to know. Is there a source available for this information?

Reply #901273 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

Without knowledge of how Carns runs things but, being association based, probably all junior, girls and boys in all represenative state-run comps, all the way to NBL1 and NBL.
Check it out on their web site or faceb???

Reply #901285 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I dont mind the youth league idea, but not sure there is really much talent beneath the NBL to really push guys in the NBL and i dont think Hary Froling dominating at a lower level is going to push him or develop him further, but an import spot who could take his job completely may.

I'm glad you made this point Jonno so that now I have the opportunity to clarify.

By 'demoted' I meant being replaced in the first team's starting twelve and becoming training fodder. I agree that playing against youth wouldn't make sense in your example and the junior league would also have an age restriction.

Reply #901316 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Look at Kuol from Cairns, never given a look in, gets last spot on list last season and now is a starter. Players are out there, it's the recruiting system in Australia that's not working. Other lesser Australian players head to Europe

Many future and soon-to-be college-bound players would stay and have a go locally as well if it was structured in a way in which participants could retain NCAA eligibility for later.

Kuol is a great example.

Recruiting is poor but isn't helped by the professional basketball pyramid of Australia being disconnected between NBL and NBL1. This gap needs to be bridged.

Reply #901321 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Actually, this is a much better suggestion than constant hypothesising about which city should have an NBL team next.

*shudder*

A youth/reserves league would be useful to vote to develop young players in a competitive setting as well as potentially provide an opportunity for guys at the end of the bench to be playing some minutes, including those out of form or recently returning from injury. It could be set up as players under the age of under 23 with maybe up to 3 overage players suiting up per game. You can play this is a curtain raiser to the main game.

Yes, yes and yes!

Reply #901323 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:26 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754