Monix
Two years ago

NBL1 Expansion

Four Clubs to join NBL1 East

From the NBL1 Website.
https://nbl1.com.au/news/four-clubs-join-the-nbl1-east/east/

Brings the East Conference to 16 Teams, including the COE.
Aside from the COE, don't know much about the NSW clubs, can anyone provide any insight ?

Apparently this will also see the introduction of mid-week games.
Thoughts on the COE being in the East ?

East now got nearly as many teams as South.
Is there talk of more joining in other states ?

Topic #50568 | Report this topic

Rr  
Two years ago

Expansion going to happen soon in NBL1 North

Reply #903385 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Hopefully scrap wildcard..
Nbl1 north and south to expand also i believe.

Reply #903390 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Two years ago

Hard to see how wildcard wont be scrapped. What if COE wins NBL1 east and the wildcard?

As raised prior, defending champs come back as 6th team, otherwise the runner up in the conference if the defending champ wins their conference is both fair, and incentivising.

Reply #903410 | Report this post

Monix  
Two years ago

Scrap Wildcard.
Give North, South and West 2 spots each (Champ & Runner Up).
Make it an Elite 8, NCAA knockout style tournament.

Reply #903411 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

South aren't expanding.
Renewals are due after the season

Reply #903417 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

"After a year of playing in the NBL1 Wildcard Series, the Centre of Excellence will now compete in NBL1 East. As a result, the Wildcard Series will not be played in 2023 and beyond."

Reply #903419 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

I haven't heard anything about North expansion. Don’t know anyone who would join who’s not already in, apart from Toowoomba - who is out for good reason. Anyone heard any further specifics?

Reply #903433 | Report this post

retired  
Two years ago

With COE in NBL1 East there should not be a wild card.

New teams into NBL1 East are Sydney Comets,COE who should win this division,Penrith and Hornsby.

Penrith and Hornsby will not be that strong as Penrith have lost players to other associations due to non entrance last season.

Comets will also be average unless all the players they lost a couple of years ago to Inner West Bulls when Gruggan left and took them over there may struggle to get players back as well.

NBL1 still the weakest pool of all.

Reply #903467 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Two years ago

Do you think expansion is healthy for basketball? Or adds strain to the associations (given cost) and waters down talent?

Reply #903486 | Report this post

Esky68  
Two years ago

I believe a certain level of expansion can be great for the sport, not too much though.

I think 12 teams in a conference is the right number, but thats my personal opinion with no science to back it, 12 just seems right

Reply #903787 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Did Bankstown get a womens side?

Reply #903788 | Report this post

Jack Rabbit  
Two years ago

Agree with national finals needing to move to an NCAA style Elite Eight knock out tournament.

That would be cool as!

North and South should have 2 spots every other conference has 1.

Reply #903802 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:30 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754