Best performing import to be released

Best performing import to be released.

LV proposed this qualifier in another thread:

I wonder how many NBL imports have been sacked when averaging over 20ppg

Any suggestions based on 20ppg?

Topic #50588 | Report this topic

DennisRodmansHair  
Two years ago

Glen Rice Jnr was averaging 25 points a game (small sample size of games) for NZ before he was cut a couple of seasons ago.

Reply #903913 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Okay let me refine it then because I intended to filter him out but forgot to:

20ppg and not dropped for legal reasons.

Re: sample size - this is a tough one since many imports don't last long.

Reply #903923 | Report this post

Hoot  
Two years ago

Rashad Tucker

Reply #903926 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Rashad Tucker

Yes! 17.7ppg but a very Randallesque scenario.

Reply #903928 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two years ago

He wasn't sacked for attitude

Reply #903938 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Two years ago

every year with the 6ers - joke of a club

Reply #903940 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Two years ago

Ken McClary was averaging 25.2 ppg and 11.6 rpg when he left the Kings with 11 rounds to go in 1993.

Reply #903943 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Didn't McClary quit though? He wasn't released.

Reply #903957 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Okay so "being released" in itself is vague because it can not only happen by dismissal but also on player request.

Good one McBlurter.

Reply #903958 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

He wasn't sacked for attitude

True, I remember there being talk it was done for legal reasons.

Randall really does stands alone.

Reply #903959 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

Remember Perth axed an import who was leading the league in assists

Reply #903960 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Two years ago

Joke of a club. Always have been with this owner.

Reply #903973 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

My recollection is Tucker was almost averaging a triple double.

Or at least, posting very impressive numbers. Not 20ppg (and that would convert to 24ppg in 48 Min games) but great all round figures

Was Julius Hodge (Adelaide and Melbourne Tigers) ever sacked?

Reply #903975 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Tucker was allegedly sacked for smoking weed is my recollection

Reply #903976 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Tucker set a triple-double record in terms of games but didn't average one during his first season.

There was another insidious rumour doing the rounds as well.

Reply #903980 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Was Julius Hodge (Adelaide and Melbourne Tigers) ever sacked?

Yes, LV and it was absolutely massive news at the time that dominated a number of threads on here as to why he disappeared from the 36ers, was he hiding out somewhere, was he even still in Adelaide and once he came out of hiding about a week later he declared, incorrectly, that the Sixers hadn't been paying him on time.

The Sixers then 'owner' Mal Hemmerling then paid him in full for the rest of the season just to get him back onto the court and he still refused to play so the club then released him and demanded he repay the advance of the rest of his season salary or they wouldn't grant his FIBA release stopping him from signing anywhere else in the world under FIBA rule. He eventually did so a couple of weeks later.

It was quite simply the biggest import sacking in NBL history by a country mile.

Reply #903987 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

What season was this?

Reply #903988 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

It was quite simply the biggest import sacking in NBL history by a country mile.

Slow your roll there bud. Rashad Tucker's sacking was massive as it came as a total shock at the time, following on from the hysteria caused by his triple doubles and performances, resulting in the GOAT reaction to a piece of news across all three NBL boards when they were at their peak. What a time it was to be alive.

Reply #903989 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

No you slow your roll buddy, the Tucker sacking wasn't even a blip on the radar compared to the month long drama of the Hodge sacking and fallout that made news all around the world.

Reply #903990 | Report this post

S1L3NC3R83  
Two years ago

Some of the events mentioned in this thread

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/1316-rashad-tucker-sacked/

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/13194-perth-wildcats-release-rashad-phillips/
www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/dumped-wildcats-import-rashad-phillips-has-hit-back-ng-7ee3021844a71f732aadf8d72da26f18.amp

www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/hodge-refund-closes-case/news-story/d76af5559475b11c90564c8d8860c73b

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/788600/Star-import-walks-out-on-36ers

And the aftermath the next year

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/21767-hodge-stomping-on-mahers-signature/

Reply #903992 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Ah! I thought Hodge had left in acrimonius circumstances but his wiki page doesn't mention it.

Both sackings were huge and both were stars (with Hodge at 26.3ppg, 8 rebounds and 6 assists per the article linked above). I recall the Tucker situation more vividly though, for whatever reason

Reply #903995 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Thanks for clearing that one up Zodiac

Well I think we have our answers with Hodge and Tucker both being high performers

And interestingly the Tigers being beneficiaries of the controversies in both

Although the Tigers weren't successful with Hodge

Reply #903996 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Two years ago

I'll never forget the image of Julius Hodge continuously stomping on the Brett Maher court signature, I had seasons tickets (for about 5 straight years) about 15 rows back directly in front of where it happened...didn't think he was going to get out of Findon alive!

If my memory serves me correctly he had a very quiet night and didn't do much but hit some clutch FT's towards the end of the game. Probably only stirred the fans up more that he was carrying on like he was the deciding factor in the game.

Kudos to S1L3NC3R83 for the links to some articles.

Reply #903997 | Report this post

MD  
Two years ago

David Bailey was pretty darn good during his time in Perth (mid 2000's)

17.6 points, 5.1 rebounds, and 6.2 assists in 36 NBL games

Bailey tested positive for Cannabis use during the Semi-Finals from memory, so whilst waiting for a new contract Perth said goodbye. Perth were known to be pretty ruthless in this space at the time due to strong sponsorship links with Government anti-drug/alcohol campaigns.

Reply #904001 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Wait, so Perth went from one pothead import to another?

That's either terrible luck or terrible due diligence by the Wildcats! Maybe a bit of both

Reply #904003 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Two years ago

Was Conklin released? Or was it between seasons?

Reply #904013 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

He was released. He and the players union kicked up a big stink because he was cut during the non-guaranteed portion of his contract and they were arguing that shouldn't apply as it wasn't his first season.

Reply #904014 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

No you slow your roll buddy, the Tucker sacking wasn't even a blip on the radar compared to the month long drama of the Hodge sacking and fallout that made news all around the world.

Seriously? *sigh*

This isn't the first time you've presented your opinion as a rock solid fact and then jumped up and down when it has been suggested otherwise instead of taking the counter argument into consideration.

There is a difference of opinion here and that's fine with me (clearly not for you) but please learn to calm down instead of spitting out hyperbole.

The 'slow your roll' comment was specifically and in direct response to this:

Were you even around in 2004? I doubt it.

You went full throttle with a comment that is inaccurate and instead of acknowledging it and recognising the enormity of the Tucker sacking when presented to you you'd rather stubbornly double down.

I recall the Tucker situation more vividly though, for whatever reason

Put simply - because it was huge.

LV you have good reason to as it came as a total shock and I'm not surprised in the slightest since you're old school with a good memory. It was the biggest day in terms of online NBL fan reaction to a player sacking and up there for overall league news. It's my favourite day by far on NBL forums, going from dawn to dusk for young and old.

Plus you're not a 36ers fan who either wasn't actively following the league back then or quarantined away in their own little world on here when this site was Hoops SA.

Reply #904054 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:06 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754