Another Anon
Two years ago

WCQ - Aus v Kaz

In case anyone is up and watching.
Don't think I've ever seen a court inside a velodrome before!

Aus unbackable favourites. Always interested how NBL based players per perform.

Topic #50595 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Two years ago

Massacre so far.

Reply #904137 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

I like

Reply #904138 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Two years ago

Was expecting an easy win but that was an absolute destruction in first qtr.
27-2 at one stage.
Credit to all the players that have stayed on in this squad for all the qualifiers, it shows.

Reply #904139 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Roster getting a bit too old tbf, more youth needed in these phase 1 qualifiers.

Brandt 33
Blanchfield 31
Mccarron 30
Kay 30
Norton 29
^
Mcveigh 26
Vasiljevic 25
Froling 22
Galloway 19
Hawke 18
Toohey 18

Avg age 26

^ not sure why bring most of those guys, 2-3tops for exp and leadership.
Get developing some young teens to mid 20s pfs and centers.

Reply #904140 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

HT KAZ 25-58 AUS

Very nice.

Reply #904141 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Two years ago

Blanchfield, McCarron and Norton are the 3 that could be replaced by just about anyone younger. But I'm guessing not that many younger players are available for these games.
Brandt and Kay just destroy this level of competition and are great to watch in these games.

Reply #904142 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Decided or told not to go
Cooks
Pinder
Travers
Mcdowell-white
Mcdaniel
Mudronja
Swaka Lo Buluk

Just A couple more youth from nbl or even Coe would have been good.

U25
Jordan hunter
Isaac Humphries
Angus Glover
Kyrin Galloway
David Okwera
Akoldah Gak
Lat Mayen
Daniel Grida
Biwali bayles
Oliver hayes brown
Owen foxwell
Josh duach
Rocco Zikarsky
Roman Siulepa
Etc

Reply #904144 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

FT KAZ 50-97 AUS

Reply #904145 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Two years ago

Don't think I've ever seen a court inside a velodrome before!

Launceston Silverdome is a velodrome. Hosts two JackJumpers games a season.

Reply #904146 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

So is John Cain arena

Reply #904147 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Two years ago

It was a close game... NAHT

Reply #904150 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Result to be expected, good win.

Now looking forward to some more competitive basketball next weekend!

Reply #904151 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

What's the effect of not playing against Iran in Iran?

Is it a forfeit?

Didn’t South Korea or another nation get disqualified because they refused to play in the pandemic? Would Australia face consequences?

Reply #904158 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

@KET

Iran gets a free win. 20-0 for them. Congratulations on the WC spot!

Reply #904159 | Report this post

JCK98  
Two years ago

Single forfeit won't get you disqualified, it counts as a 20-0 loss and you don't get the point that normally comes with a loss (so basically a double loss).

Korea got disqualified for forfeiting twice (in one window) because members of their travelling group got Covid (so couldn't travel).

Reply #904160 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I wish the Boomers just play in Iran, China played with no issues. No Iran need to give us a big thank you because they now have qualified for the World Cup.

Has there been any news out from the Boomers?

Heard nothing official yet, even from their press conference after the match, nothing.

Reply #904161 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Now*

Reply #904162 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

We were fortunate with the way the schedule worked out.

Reply #904163 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Aussies have made it anyway, if they win the rest they still finish top anyway

How would finishing second or whatever affect WC groups/placings?

Reply #904164 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I think you need to go and have a look at the standings.

Reply #904165 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

?

Reply #904166 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Really?

Reply #904167 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Hmm WTF, I was looking at an incorrect ladder.

How would finishing second or whatever affect WC groups/placings?

Seeding is based on FIBA ranking so it makes no difference to us since we're #3.

Reply #904168 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Reply #904169 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Australia are 9-0 top, China are 7-2 second, Iran are 5-4 third.

"Aussies have made it anyway,"
Top 3 in group F qualify - Australia cannot go below second. They have qualified, so this is right.

“if they win the rest they still finish top anyway”
Because China have lost 2, if Australia only lose the first through forfeit, they still finish top. This is right.

I don't know why I need to look at the standings?

“How would finishing second or whatever affect WC groups/placings?”

This is the question - are the World Cup groups decided based on their rank how they qualified or their global ranking?

And, would being a top qualifier conceivably put them in a better World Cup group or would it not make a difference?

I’m not really sure how looking at the current qualifier standings assists with answering those questions?

Reply #904170 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Aren't World Cup groups picked out of different pots?

Wouldn’t it help to be in a top pot?

Reply #904171 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Single forfeit won't get you disqualified, it counts as a 20-0 loss and you don't get the point that normally comes with a loss (so basically a double loss).

Speaking of which this future game in our group should also be a forfeit, but by our opponents to avoid further embarrassment:
28/02/2023 AUS-KAZ

Does anyone know if there has ever been a forfeit in the NBL? Whenever the question is asked by me people scoff at it because their peanut brains can't grasp the awarded after walkover 20-0 rule. Perhaps now with the Iran forfeit in context we can get over this hurdle. St. Kilda declined playing in the NBL playoffs one season but they were removed and finals reseeded.

Reply #904172 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Aren't World Cup groups picked out of different pots?

Wouldn't it help to be in a top pot?

Seeding for the World Cup is based on FIBA ranking, therefore:

Pot 1: #1-4
Pot 2: #5-8
and so on.

There is an adjustment usually made to place the host nation in the top pot but it won't affect us since we're #3, but not sure how they adjust it with three hosts this time around.

Reply #904173 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

" Seeding is based on FIBA ranking so it makes no difference to us since we're #3."

Thanks - wonder if this would be a first for Australia (men) to be in the top pot?

Reply #904174 | Report this post

GordonG  
Two years ago

Basketball Australia has cited player safety concerns for its decision to withdraw the men's national team from an upcoming World Cup qualifier in Iran.

Following the defeat of Kazakhstan that sealed their spot in next year’s tournament, the Boomers had been due to travel to Tehran and meet Iran on Tuesday (AEDT).

Instead, the side will return to Australia and await instructions from FIBA as to whether the match will be rescheduled elsewhere.

"Basketball Australia have conducted a thorough risk assessment in conjunction with relevant authorities and as a result we will not be sending any teams into Iran at this time," a statement read.

A series of protests erupted in Iran following the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini, who was allegedly violently arrested by the country’s Guidance Patrol in September for failing to wear her hijab properly. She died in custody three days after falling into a coma.

Currently, Iran is one of 19 countries to which the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advises Australians not to travel.

“Protests continue around the country and there’s been an increase in the number of foreign nationals arrested,” DFAT’s advice reads.

“Medical evacuation may be difficult. If you’re in Iran, we recommend you leave. Airlines may cancel or reduce their operations to and from Iran at short notice.”

Reply #904176 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Thanks - wonder if this would be a first for Australia (men) to be in the top pot?

I would say so since we've never been ranked as high before.

FIBA only recently started to use the 'pot' term, borrowing it from FIFA, and I doubt they based their previous classification system for qualified teams in earlier World Championships on anything other than world ranking.

Reply #904177 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"Aren't World Cup groups picked out of different pots?

Wouldn't it help to be in a top pot?"

If I remember right it has less to do with world ranking and more to do with who is the zone champion, and because FIBA ranks the Asia zone lowly, it has led to the Boomers being saddled with other zone champions in their pools. Expect a booby prize or two in our group regardless of the seeding outcome. But given our talent we shouldnt worry about progressing through any group. Its the crossovers with one of France or USA that would most concern me.

The 24 man Boomers squad for the cup is meant to be announced soon, by the way.

Reply #904213 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I can't believe Fiba will take further action against Australia not being able to play in Tehran. In honesty they should reschedule the game.

Reply #904214 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

If I remember right it has less to do with world ranking and more to do with who is the zone champion, and because FIBA ranks the Asia zone lowly, it has led to the Boomers being saddled with other zone champions in their pools.

That's not how it works.

Reply #904215 | Report this post

JMS  
Two years ago

" Roster getting a bit too old tbf, more youth needed in these phase 1 qualifiers."

I tend to think the opposite. Having the experienced group of McCarron, Brandt, Kay etc is great exposure for the young guys coming through, Hawke/Toohey/Galloway/Procter/Ducas etc, they get to learn the standards of International ball and the Boomers culture passed down from Patty/Joe. It's certainly a great system in place and an envy of other countries.

Reply #904218 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

The thing with qualifiers is we need to win them. I am all for blooding kids, and I concede that we can probably win with an under-22 team most of the time, but it's not really a risk we should be taking. JMS is right about culture. The Boomers are a culture team. Even with the talent we had last year, we weren't the third most talented team in the world. It's the team culture and ethics that make us a world basketball power. And it is the thing that will hold us up when we're faced with a stacked Canada, France or USA.

Reply #904220 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Seeding for the World Cup is based on FIBA ranking, therefore:

Pot 1: #1-4
Pot 2: #5-8
and so on.

There is an adjustment usually made to place the host nation in the top pot but it won't affect us since we're #3, but not sure how they adjust it with three hosts this time around.

An update:

Apparently Philippines, as the primary host nation, will automatically be assigned to Pot 1 with the FIBA #1-#3 ranked nations.

So Pot 1 will be as follows (assuming the rankings don't change between now and the end of the qualifying window in late February 2023):

Phillipines (host)
#1 Spain
#2 USA
#3 Australia

Reply #908059 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:12 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754