Observer
Two years ago

Sixers new import?

So Randall gone,just out of curiosity,has the Sixers been looking for another import or just play a few more games see how things go?

Time for Sixers to get some wins on the board big games coming up.

Topic #50600 | Report this topic

KET  
Two years ago

It sounds like they want to see the team for a few games to figure out what they need.

No doubt they'll have a few options to cater for various needs.

Keep in mind Randall was on a cheaper contract, so we won’t be seeing a "like for like" talent.

Reply #904267 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

They can't afford to spend too long messing around though.

Reply #904268 | Report this post

Johnson14  
Two years ago

Nick Marshall elevated to roster spot so it looks like no import replacement anytime soon. The saying there's only one ball certainly was true with Adelaide's stacked side. Johnson, Franks and Cleveland will be happy Randall is gone.

Reply #904269 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Two years ago

Hopefully in the meantime CJ gives Sotto a bit more of a run
He's been playing pretty well when CJ has actually let him see the court

Reply #904273 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

There is going to be no perfect fit for this team. The first mistake was picking up McCarron on big money last year. That just means we're always going to have some sort of Frankenstein guard rotation to make up for the fact he is neither a point nor shooting guard. And then you've got both Robert Franks and Daniel Johnson, excelling and lacking in the exact same areas. Those are two holes you're trying to fill with one player. So do we go with a shooting guard or do we sure ourselves up inside?

Reply #904278 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Nick Marshall elevated to roster spot so it looks like no import replacement anytime soon.
NBL rules require 11 players to be on the roster at all times, so they had to elevate someone as soon as Randall was released, regardless of what their intentions were in terms of filling the spot.

Reply #904281 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Indeed, that's not indicative of their intentions.

ME, you’re right they won’t be perfectly balanced by virtue of 3 "issues" being no actual PG, no interior Defence provided by DJ/Franks/Sotto and also having a preference for a scoring weapon at guard (hence why they signed Randall)

The question I guess over the next few games is what their biggest deficiency will be. Is Franks/DJ/MM/Dech/Drmic enough scoring weaponry?

Can MM and Dech bring the ball up for 40mins?

Can the bigs cover the interior properly from a defence POV?

I suspect they’ll try again for a SG that can bring the ball up and just try to wing it interior D wise.

Reply #904282 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I think Adelaide need to release one of Kai Sotto or Robert Franks, get an interior rim protector, then go get a shooting guard. They wont win a championship without help inside, and in fact I just dont think theyre contenders at all after what I've seen this seen, regardless of what changes they hope to make.

Reply #904283 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I suggest previously Franks should have gone before Randal, again I don't know internal details if Randal was a trouble maker. It’s hard to believe that everyone were up in arms when they thought Franks was going to Russia. I also think it shows the the bullets coach hid his weaknesses well last season.
I think Sixers can sort out there defence problems but the need a talker on the floor directing players ,loud and quick, I’m not sure Sixers got that player though or some of the bigger names would listen.

Reply #904285 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Two years ago

Some like Deshon Taylor would be a good fit

Reply #904290 | Report this post

Fun coolers  
Two years ago

According to Shipway and Kubank it should be Alex Starling

Reply #904291 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Starling HAHAHAHAHAHAHA You only had to look at how he went at NBL1 Nationals against better talent to know this is outrageously funny

Reply #904292 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Two years ago

"then go get a shooting guard"

Devondrick Walker should save them on budget.

He didn't complain when given 17 mpg.

Reply #904293 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

"Starling HAHAHAHAHAHAHA You only had to look at how he went at NBL1 Nationals against better talent to know this is outrageously funny"

The guy averaged 16 PPG, 8.5 RPG, 5 SPG, 2 APG hardly poor stats (Shooting percentage should have been better). Defense is what the sixers need so he would fit in well from that perspective. However the guy is injury prone and we could find a better option. I would be fine with him playing a couple of games whilst they search for someone else if that was a possibility but I doubt it is.

Reply #904296 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

^ as an import and one of 2 focal points. Yeah nah

Reply #904297 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Two years ago

If they're looking for a local import it has to be Greg Mays or bring Turnage back from WA. Not sure either would have the impact in the NBL that the 36ers are after.

Reply #904300 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I think Adelaide need to release one of Kai Sotto or Robert Franks

Both of them have options on their contracts for next season so neither of those was going to happen.

Reply #904305 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

I agree they should cut Franks and start Johnson and Sotto.

Reply #904306 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Daly you may as well replace CJ as coach.

Reply #904310 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

Bring back the mad genius Joey Wright

Reply #904313 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Two years ago

Not even joking when I say this, obviously not that he should replace an import slot, but someone like Brendan Teys would be a positive on the current 36ers team. Yes, he doesn't have the offensive talent, but he does put in effort on D and would be a good locker room presence...

Reply #904319 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Two years ago

The last thing the Sixers need is another import thinking he's the man. Franks and Cleveland are more than adequate. What they need is a hard working role player for 10-20mins off the bench. Their current role players are plodders, incapable of making an impact on a game. They need someone with athleticism, accepting of the role, with the right attitude and preferably cheap.

Reply #904320 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Will we sign someone? You'd think if so it would have to happen soon to allow the player to acclimatise with plenty of time for finals.
I still think a steady crafty point guard that can take control in tight games would be useful. We do our best to lose the close ones. But then an interior defender could help with DJ and Sotto.

Reply #904542 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

There were rumours around Melbourne signing DJ Newbill, which never made sense given their needs. However, if he were to be available he is a very good fit for Adelaide, and if he could produce previous form at both ends would make them a title contender IMO.

Reply #904543 | Report this post

BigFishLittlePond  
Two years ago

Dwight Howard would have been a good fit

Reply #904727 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Any word if a new import is close to being announced?

Reply #905303 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Expect an announcement this week I'm told.

Reply #905308 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Nah, I just heard that in CJ's interview. Was just trying to sound cool and important for a bit..

Reply #905310 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

At least you owned up to it, unlike most!

Reply #905347 | Report this post

Jonno  
Two years ago

Seems to be a few hints from Liam and Logue over the past few days that Ian Clark is who the Sixers are trying to sign.

I think he would be an awesome get and should fit in with the group as we saw him do last season with the kings.

Reply #905447 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I saw that too in the Franks interview yesterday and you know Liam wouldn't be bringing up Ian Clark specifically unless it's a done deal.

Seems like it will be a good signing I thought he was a touch overrated last season but he can shoot and although I don't remember much ball handling the intention would be for him to at least at times give McCarron a spell at the point.

One really good thing is he's shown he can fit into a team not disrupt chemistry and help that team win so should be a much better fit than Randall was.

Reply #905449 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Ian Clark would be a fantastic get, great last season, got very good handles, plays team. Adelaide get him and work on there D, they are back in the conversation. Surely he's not sitting around waiting for a call, he must be playing somewhere.

Reply #905452 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Two years ago

Xinjiang Flying Tigers

Reply #905453 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

He would certainly be a game changer. Let's hope Sixers can pull it off.

Reply #905455 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Thanks Pablo.

Reply #905456 | Report this post

ChairmanOfTheBored  
Two years ago

36ers Socials also reposting Franks talking about Ian Clark and doing the eye emoticons like all the cool kids do these days.

Reply #905458 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Perthworld, I was only trying to be funny. Posted the truth immediately after.

Could Adams also be a chance? At least to come back to Australia? Bit of a clue twitter I see...

Reply #905541 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Yeah I got it, nice reference.

Reply #905594 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Two years ago

They need to go take a real look at bringing Deshon Taylor back. A defensive guard that has proven now that he can score the ball at a high clip & efficient. Just had another 40 point game in Finland, same league Kyle Fogg made a name for himself & Jamar Wilson as well

1st in points - 28.3
1st in steals - 2.1
1st in efficiency - 23.2
3rd in 3FG% - 42.2% (8 attempts PG)
10th in assists - 4.4

Players/Coaches loved him in Sydney, about his professionalism how he bought into the culture & role. Plus the way he handled the release more mature than any 22 year old would've. He’s familiar with players/city on the team & Mick Downer was his coach in NzNBL would be a steal signing

Reply #905915 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

Should Bullets also look at him?

Reply #905917 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

It's Finland!!

Reply #905924 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Again, I don't know why Adelaide think they're in a position to much around too much. Plus, they had the break to focus on an import.

Should be able to bring in the 'right' guy with the time that's already passed.

I feel like they may have hit & missed on one or two.

Reply #905927 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

It's perplexing to say the least that we’ve heard nothing aside from "soz too busy/we will take our time/we don’t want ego" from the 36ers

Sure, you don’t want to screw up and sure make cutting Randall was not a pre-planned makes. But at what point is it just plain incompetent to not have your last guy signed?

The player will need time chemistry wise and you don’t really get much leeway in the NBL to not be full strength and get away with it.

They really should have had someone by now or the next week or so.

Reply #905933 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I don't know why make/makes slipped in there, sorry

Reply #905934 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Two years ago

Lose to Perth and it could become a little more urgent. A lucky win against Cairns and flogging from Sydney is hardly a recipe to be complacent. No corner has been turned yet.

Reply #905937 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

So I guess Ian Clark is dead in the water then?

Need to sign a play-maker who can shoot soon. Deshon Taylor does sound intriguing because he has experience in the NBL, plays both ends and seems willing to fit in with what his team wants. I personally haven't seen him play more than 10 mins though, so what do others think about his play with Sydney?

Reply #905947 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Was Clark ever a serious chance or was it more someone like Santamaria saying they should look for an Ian Clark type and everyone going "ooh Clark might be the guy they get"

Reply #905949 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

It was Cleveland and Franks talking about how Clark would be a perfect fit. I'd imagine they've followed up and touched base with him, who knows whether Clark then spoke to his agent about it or is happy where he is.

Reply #905950 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Deshon Taylor struggled in his first stint with the Sixers and again with the Kings, no need to go down that route again.

Reply #905951 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

I don't know if Clark will suit Adelaide the same way his role and timing suited Sydney. Just a feeling I have but assume most would disagree?

I hope Adelaide aren't gun shy because Randall was not a team player.

Chemistry and talent are not mutually exclusive all the time.

Reply #905952 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Two years ago

Zodiac
"Deshon Taylor struggled in his first stint with the Sixers and again with the Kings, no need to go down that route again."

He never struggled with the Sixers, he had multiple 20 point games in preseason. Even Liam said he was their best player at the time & stats showed. But yes he did struggle with his play early on with the Kings but finished the season really good! Check his Instagram highlights “My Marathon” he talks about why he got cut to a certain extent & who cut him. Also discusses his Kings stint early as well & his life. Kid has had a journey, great story go check it out, seems ready now

Reply #905959 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Two years ago

Ian Clark seems to be a great fit too! I'm pretty sure Bogues will try to keep him away from them as much as possible lol

Reply #905960 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Taylor was coming off of the bench for the Sixers at the time we signed Randle as his replacement and he struggled in the real games with the Kings averaging 6.6 ppg @ 39.6% in his 22 games with them.

I get you're either his agent or someone close to him but give it a rest every year there is one guy on here (probably you) saying teams should sign Taylor quick before another team does and always posting his stats from low-level leagues like NZ and Finland. Stop spamming the place.

Reply #905969 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Two years ago

His agent is Moldovan
Finland isn't the best league not saying that but definitely better than most domestic leagues
That is why i referenced players that have played in the league that’s done well & was able to move up after. Just wanted to acknowledged some good/great guards came through the league & that ones who killed this league moved on to China, top European leagues & even NBL the following years

Averaging in near 30 points anywhere is not easy, it’s not the G League

Reply #905977 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Makuach Maluach averaged 13 ppg in that league last season and is now only averaging 3 ppg on a weak NBL team, just relax mate.

Reply #905979 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Two years ago

13pts & 28pts is the same thing now lol
Your mad for no reason mate, just throwing names out there who should they get ? Give us some of your quality names

Reply #905980 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

No it's not but if 13 = 3 Taylor's 28 would equate to about 7 in the NBL, almost exactly his 6.6 average with the Kings 3 years ago. Can you see now why no NBL teams have signed him since?

Reply #905982 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Hopefully now we won't have to hear about Taylor this time next season haha.

Reply #905983 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754