Isaac
Two years ago

Story re Nets having players-only meeting re Simmons

Story here

Sounds like it was intended as a supporting/motivational attempt, and that it was well taken by Simmons.

But there were two funny comments leading off on the r/NBA thread about it:

"Hey, everyone get in here we need to talk"

"Not you Simmons. Wait outside"
Ben we said players only.
Brutal.

Had his first double-figure scoring game of the season, albeit in an absolute blow-out. Might be stretching to appreciate that he was only -3 in a 34 point loss.

Not sure many people would still believe it possible, but hopefully he slowly builds towards getting on top of all this.

Topic #50610 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Two years ago

You'd think he'd have a slice of humble pie by now, but no. He's still top shit and super cool, just look at his instagram feed.

Humility would go a long way toward a more positive public perception.

He simply doesn't deserve a Boomers spot. He'd drag down the mood of the group with his shit, wouldn't add a lot on the floor.

Reply #904446 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I don't think BA would entertain the thought of ever allowing Simmons to play for us again at least I hope so. It's Giddey's team now but even off the bench he would be too much of a knucklehead and a distraction like Bolden was.

Reply #904448 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

At least Bolden retired and moved onto other things, Simmons certainly happy to take the pay check with out to much effort.
As Zodiac said, let's hope BA stay strong and keep the culture. Simmons not required the way he’s going about it at present.

Reply #904452 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I think we can be confident that the "will he, won't he" will be nipped in the bud for WC23.

He won’t play, he has turned his mindset to Olympics if he’s going to represent Boomers IMO.

For the Boomers, it won’t be a “what if” because he has barely played in a few years, he’s injury riddled and fighting the mental factor for the time being.

Come 2024, expect him to seriously consider it and hopefully be in a better place and that’s where the will he/won’t he discussion will come back and I think by then if he does choose to play, he will be in the team no worries.

Reply #904453 | Report this post

Esky68  
Two years ago

He won't make the 12 for the boomers squad

Reply #904455 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

Goorjian was asked about Simmons by Santamaria in recent The Huddle podcast.

https://youtu.be/q82V0jm7PyE?t=1330

The question was more about whether the conversation should be about Simmons in Paris or the WC. Goorj answered it far more cautiously, with more a wait and see kind of response, how he is playing at the end of this season. Far off his previous rolling out the red carpet response before prior campaigns.

It was also interesting to hear Goorj's opinion about selections being largely based on style of play and player roles. There surely has to be a question mark over Simmons in this respect.

Reply #904463 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

"Hey, everyone get in here we need to talk"

"Not you Simmons. Wait outside"

Ben we said players only.

Reply #904507 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

Maybe coach CJGoorgian could handle player Ben Randle (Randall?) the third (tird?)!

Reply #904547 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Simmons with another game in double-figures. 12/8/5 on 6/6 FG with a quarter to play.

I don't care for ego-gram types but I do like seeing people beat their mental blocks.

Edit: Fouls out with 15/12/7 and +13 in a close game. Survived some brief hack-a-Ben, going 3/4 FT.

Reply #904555 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Definitely a bit more behind the mental block, but maybe Simmons is just not as good as we all thought he would be?

Reply #904564 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

We definitely all had higher hopes for him being a near 7fter that can play 1-4 with excelled passing and defence.

It's really about a guy that can’t meet potential because of the mental side, I think.

The hard part is figuring out what the balance is of "yeah look there are struggles there give him space and acknowledge it’s not easy in the nba" versus “he’s just being a dick now and being stubborn”.

I don’t think anyone really knows where it truly lies

Reply #904571 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

15-13&7 with a plus 13 in just over 30 minutes. There could be life yet, meeting must have worked.

Reply #904574 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

KET for sure, but there are examples of players in sports who for their whole career are talked up as having underperformed, when the truth could be much simpler. I don't think it is that black and white with Simmons, but I just think he is not that great at all.

Reply #904586 | Report this post

Weekender  
Two years ago

Would encourage people to read this article from the SMH Weekender.

From our greatest basketball export to US sporting pariah: Can Simmons bounce back?
https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/from-our-greatest-basketball-export-to-us-sporting-pariah-can-simmons-bounce-back-20220726-p5b4mm.html

Reply #904632 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Very good game for Exum overnight in euro, 21-4-5.Belgrade beat Maccabi, 96-88.

Jarell Martin got 2.50 minutes for the losers. His defence was always going to be a question over there.

Reply #904650 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Half time versus Memphis. Durant and Kyrie with 11 combined. Simmons outscoring them with 12 on 6/8 FG - just like everyone expected... Third straight game in double figures, so he's at least heading in the right direction.

Reply #904812 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Two years ago

And that should be expected.

He comes across as unlikable so plenty happy to put the boots in (which also should be expected)

Reply #904813 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

22/8/5 and game-high +19. 11/13 FG.

Reply #904814 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Happy for Ben. Got to give new coach credit for turning things around for Nets.

Reply #904817 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Best plus, minus. Started in the 5 spot.

Reply #904827 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

MVP goes to the players-only meeting.

Reply #904831 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Nets starters sub out late in an embarrassing road effort to a very undermanned 76ers team. Simmons faded a bit towards the end but had 11/7/11 with 3 steals and 3 blocks.

Hit his first two FT in front of the expectant crowd, then went 1/4 from there. Could've done a lot worse given the expectation and history on that court for him.

Reply #904968 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

The recovery tour continues. 14 points on 7/9 FG and 6 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks for +15 in a road win.

Surprises me that opponents don't try to send him to the line early in the game, to see if they can rattle him from the start. I'm guessing that 0/2 or 1/4 FT in the first few minutes might play on his mind from then on.

Reply #905010 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

How unsporting, Isaac. LOL

I would think that the NBA wouldn't approve of that sort of thing slowing down the game and reducing the energy and excitement.

Reply #905015 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Tell your guys to attempt steals from him a bit more aggressively than usual. Doesn't need to be too blatant hack-a-Ben.

Reply #905019 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Road loss for Brooklyn, but I'm still fascinated by this Simmons turnaround. 20/6/3 today on 8/8 FG before fouling out. 4/5 FT!

Since the players meeting story:

15/13/7
22/8/5
11/7/11
14/2/6
20/6/3

72% FG for November.

Reply #905176 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

2/12/8 with 3 steals. Still no threes though, but xmas is looming...

Reply #905298 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

He is pathetic and unprofessional as ever. Refuse to look to score to a point the Nets coach pretty much called him out

Reply #910400 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:00 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754