GordonG
Two years ago

Taipans v Breakers 25/11

Start of an interesting weekend where we take on both of the teams above us. Will be fun games, hopefully!

See where things shake out by Monday night...

Topic #50631 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Two years ago

Yeah should be a great game regardless of result.

Reply #905115 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Yes I'm expecting a very tight and exciting game, Cairns with there more run, gun and up tempo play v NZ more controlled tough defence style. Hopefully the refs let them play, certainly under the bucket, where body and strength should be rewarded.

Home advantage should get Cairns a few point win.

Reply #905128 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

Generally, results go the opposite of Dunkman (although their contributions are otherwise top notch). Therefore, Breakers for the win.

Reply #905129 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

EssenX

You are quite right, but I'd think I’d still be around 50%, :::)

Reply #905131 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Very good half by both sides, again both play quality tough D. Refs so far a non factor which is great.
Any ones game.

Reply #905144 | Report this post

Not sure if McCall having the ball in his hands helps Cairns. They were humming with Scott directing traffic and need him with the ball initiating the offense as much as possible.

Reply #905145 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

McCall gets a lot favourable calls, breakers by six, should probably be further ahead.

Reply #905147 | Report this post

LAKingsKempe  
Two years ago

Agree Duncman. One of the better officiated games. McCall getting some lucky calls though. Flops on D and push off on offense. Seems to have had a few go his way, which has kept Cairns in the game.

Reply #905148 | Report this post

Jatz  
Two years ago

Ok. I'll say it. Taipans score 9 points in 2nd 1/4. Let’s not talk about Breakers defense. Call it how it is... really rubbish basketball.

Reply #905149 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Two years ago

Yeah I'm sure Tahjeres a great culture guy and you can’t doubt his effort but wow his IQ on both ends is so bad. Even defensively always gambling and ends up leaving his man wide open.

Also had a classic Adelaide Pinder game today

Reply #905150 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

The Taipans did well at times to make the game look close, but the Breakers were never really stressed. Had the Breakers shot the 3 ball better - certainly had many good looks - this would have been an ugly blowout. Kings and the Breakers are a level above everyone else.

Reply #905153 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Yep, the bruise brothers, Pardon and Brantley dominating inside, NZ are defensive juggernaut, fantastic. Maor is doing so well, as are his team, WMW, Leafa, Abercrombie , Brown in the main.
Cairns bubble burst a bit today, Kuol who has been great has had to make way for McCall in minutes and it hasn't helped. Pinder stats ok but wasn’t his day. Finals is certainly on the cards though.

Reply #905155 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Kings and the Breakers are a level above everyone else."

Kings haven't been a level above Cairns when they've played. Will be interesting to see Monday's game.

Reply #905157 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Breakers are good. Real good. Kings too. I feel the Sixers will be in the mix by the end.. pushed NZ to the end last round.

Reply #905161 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

This season I don't get nervous when NZ get down by a dozen early.
I've begun to realize/expect that their defense will eventually ramp up to where it needs to be and will eventually wear the opposition down and force them into tough shots. Once they stop dropping the Breakers will get out and run and claw back the deficit.
I love that they can also slow the game down in the half court and run their offence until they find a good look in a grind out game but they can't keep turning the ball over like they did in that first half.

Reply #905164 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

Le'afa, in particular, needs to tighten his passing and handling if they want to seriously contend.

Reply #905166 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Two years ago

Cairns bubble burst a bit today, Kuol who has been great has had to make way for McCall in minutes and it hasn't helped.

I got the impression Kuol's minutes being limited weren't totally because of McCall being back in the rotation. Forde didn't seem overly happy with some of Kuol's play. There were extra minutes to be had but Forde went with other options. That was my reading of it anyway.

NZ were too good and the Taipans lost all rhythm. Hogg being kept quiet was a big factor in the loss. He wasn't able to get the open shots he has been getting in other games.

Reply #905170 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Hogg also had that wide-open three go in and out mid last quarter that would have put Cairns ahead and bring the house down. That was a big moment in the game.

Reply #905171 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Two years ago

Abercrombie is an underrated factor for the breakers and can take most of the credit for hogg being quiet as he was in his face all game. I didn't think he was worthy of many minutes this season but when you play a role that well then im happy to be proven wrong!

Reply #905178 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Abercrombie has been a great player at both ends for ever, a true team player.

Reply #905180 | Report this post

Knowall  
Two years ago

The beauty of the Breakers is the overall de they are playing. Took Taipans out of their style of game, slowed them down, ran them off the 3 point line, forcing them to put the ball to the floor more tan they looked comfortable with and forced a heap of turnovers.

Reply #905183 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Yep, head coach and that little assistant coach at breakers doing a great job on tactics and team. The improvement in WMW and Leafa is outstanding.

Reply #905184 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Is this possibly the making of the best assistant-to-head coach transition story in NBL history?

I don't count Westover, despite winning titles, as he had no clue but was luckily handed the horses who eventually got found out in Japan.

Reply #905212 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Westover is clearly the most successful transition, four straight grand finals and two championships, after Melbourne hadn't made a grand final for eight seasons leading into his takeover.

Reply #905217 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I'm struggling to think of another example outside of Westover.

The reason why I'm after an answer excluding him is because McPeake threw so much money around once Lindsay retired to give Al all the toys.

Reply #905229 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Walsh isn't exactly making Maor sing for his supper.

From memory, Anstey was the one major addition to Melbourne's roster from the year before, and they lost Gaze, Bradtke and Copeland.

Reply #905231 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I'm going to go with Lemanis, who was a long time assistant under Stacker before a very rocky start as head coach with the Breakers.

Reply #905232 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

or even Fearne, despite not winning a title he made it to two Grand Final without the resources.

Lemanis did it by moving to another club which makes it more impressive though.

Reply #905233 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Lemanis certainly did it the hard way, turning a basketcase around over time with the help of sensational owners and management.

Reply #905235 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:04 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754