curtley
Two years ago

Newcastle team back on the cards

Aussie hoopla and Newcastle herald have reported plans are underway to build a new indoor stadium next to the stadium which hosts the NRLs Newcastle Knights and Newcastle's A-League team. Its two train stops from the main newcastle train station and is part of an entertainment and dining precinct and will host 11k people for netball and basketball.

If government, corporate and community are behind it lets hope its a winner in one of the fastest growing areas in Australia.

https://aussiehoopla.com/newcastle-enters-its-name-into-the-nbl-expansion-conversation/

Topic #50647 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Better than Sydney 2 imo, don't think it would work.

Newcastle has a big enough population, bigger than Canberra and Illawarra.
Still think Wellington nz would be best choice.

Reply #905552 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

I think LK is just gonna follow the money, if the government invests it's on!

Reply #905553 | Report this post

Aussie  
Two years ago

Are junior participation rates for basketball high in Newcastle?

Reply #905554 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Very high

Reply #905555 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Yes Gosford, Newcastle and Maitland all run nbl1 sides, always competitive and have lots juniors for size of population, on the other hand so does Illawarra. Juniors don't always turn into spectators, you need business brains like Smith running them.

On a side note the Ball partner of the hawks is getting wined and dine at the World Cup by fiba, A league, talks of Wollongong getting an A league side, which he already sponsors at the level below. LK don’t make many mistakes but got this one wrong.

Reply #905557 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Let's hope so, Newcastle has a growing population.

Bring back the Falcons!

Reply #905558 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Though it would be funny if the Hunter Pirates came back because isn't Hunter a region like Illawarra?

It could also work but high investment is the only way it will happen.

Reply #905559 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Is there a reason why people think Hawks current ownership choice was wrong, but the NBL selected ownership group delivered Goorj and strong sides and a semblance of sponsors.

They struggled for support during that period, so why would different owners change anything?

It's just not a club that will succeed in the area unless there was some dramatic change to the infrastructure and stadium costs that can deliver an equivalent boost to what Power received through the Adelaide Oval.

No dramatic change to the equation means no chance of success and a change of owner won’t provide that dramatic change.

Reply #905564 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I don't want to say to much as I’m not getting this first hand and it’s not up me to say more without my contact down there ok who is friends with the local businessman, but in hindsight and on what I’m told it looks like it. Time will tell at seasons end I suppose, the present owner has big bucks but was left holding the can when goorgs mate pulled the pin and took all his contacts sponsor with him.

Reply #905567 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Two years ago

I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/8004056/lack-of-imperative-will-hunter-park-be-funded/?cs=305

Reply #905569 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Bring back the Falcons!

Though it would be funny if the Hunter Pirates came back because isn't Hunter a region like Illawarra?

More importantly if this new team gets off the ground then ClintDogg as club DJ is a must.

It had to be said.

Reply #905572 | Report this post

dddd  
Two years ago

Clint Dogg and Fat Elvis.

Name them the Pirate Falcons.

Reply #905609 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Fat Elvis.

Yessssss!
Name them the Pirate Falcons.

Stop it, you're blowing my mind.

Reply #905614 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Last year

For those interested, NBL website has an article quoting Kestleman on what's needed for any team, and a Newcaastle team in particular, to be added to the NBL. His criteria are:
- "venue, government (support), community and corporate"

The article points to lack of a suitable venue as the major thing stopping a Newcastle team:
- "The No.1 thing that stops Newcastle in its tracks right now is the lack of a venue...We will not go to a tired, old venue with limited seating and limited corporate facilities"

Full article at https://nbl.com.au/news/kestelman-provides-newcastle-expansion-update

Reply #913645 | Report this post

Rr  
Last year

Make this happen. Great for the area!

Reply #913838 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Has there been any noise about this from Newcastle itself though?

It reads like LK is a beggar acting like a chooser.

Reply #913845 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Yes, they want an 11,000 seat stadium for all major indoor events. They want an nbl team and a netball team and possibly a wnbl team.

Reply #913846 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Reply #913847 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Doesn't sound like that to me PW, it sounds like LK is lobbying the government for the infrastructure knowing that it’s under consideration.

Even if it’s not going to be associated with an NBL club, the NBL has taken to working with local governments and lobbying for infrastructure which is smart tbh. Shows foresight and establishes any working relationships early on.

Reply #913852 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

KET yes agreed after reading the material, including the link I posted above, from Venues NSW.

Reply #913858 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:10 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754