LoveBroker
Two years ago

NBL mid season report card.

We are about the half way mark of the season, some teams have played more than 14 games, some less.

Below are how I see the teams' performances, ordered by current ladder standings.

Sydney

Grade : A

Sydney are rightly at the top of the ladder, great imports, Cooks taking steps towards MVP (but I think Walton would take some votes off him).

They've had slip ups like against the JJs but overall are solid in most games. They have killers, they have great role players, hard to see anyone beating them in a 5 game series.

Equal 2nd in Defensive efficiency, 4th in Offensive and 2nd in Net efficiency.

Sydney supporters will continue to tell us this is under the salary soft cap.

New Zealand

A great set of imports together with a full season of home games and they're really firing. WMW and Le'Afa really doing well and probably the best local backcourt duo in the league right now. Brown is an excellent scorer while Pardon is always there to protect the paint.

Equal 2nd in Defensive efficiency, 1st in Offensive and 1st in Net efficiency.

At the moment can only see NZB being a threat to Sydney becuase they have decent defenders throughout the roster and at the key positions.

SE MElbourne

Grade : C

About where I expect them to be given their roster. Creek continues to be the premier SF in the league. Williams, Kell and Browne are abve average imports.

I was expecting more more Zi given his second year with the team but Pineau seems to be taking a chunk of his minutes (which is a good problem to have in the playoffs as teams target Zi).

Rowdy is finding is stroke again shooting an impressive 40% from 3.

SEM are 2nd in Offensive Efficiency and middle of the pack defensively.

Cairns

I have to give credit where its due, Cairns are doing really well this season. This is another Oliver / Machado / Newbill season where they have done really well in finding good imports, I am still unconvinced with McCall but the team is winning so you carry on.

Pinder is the surprise packet this season, putting his hand up for MVP considerations. We seldom saw any of this in Adelaide, maybe flashes but not at this consistent level. Any chance of MIP this season?

Waardenburg is also having a great rookie season with 10ppg which adds to their weapons, Kuol has not improved heaps from last season but is still a solid 3 and D guy.

Cairns are second last in Offensive efficiency but 1st in defensive.

Tasmania

Grade : C

Tassie are about where I'd expect them to be given their great coaching and decent team. Team would no longer be surprised by this team so I expected Tassie to be middle of the pack. They've had setbacks with injuries to Magnay, McDaniel and Steindl but now finding their groove with Magnay back. McVeigh continues to impress with his variety of scoring and hustle.

Doyle is right up there withe the league's killers, and very ably supported by Magette and Kelly.

Its always a mystery to me how a team wins with Kryslovic, Kenyon and Weeks but they do and big respect to them for that.

They are middle of the pack in both offensive and defensive efficiency.

Perth

Grade : D

Perth are disappointing despite their current mini streak (thanks United for that choke).

They would lose a rebounding battle with Under 17s, to lose rebounding stats on its own is bad but when its your brand and identity for so long (since the Bevo years) it is embarassing.

They have Cotton who everyone knows is a star, but then it drops off a cliff after that. Manek and Thomas are awful when not playing against Adelaide. Its is testament to Cotton that he is able to keep them above water.

Their defence is porous and it is only due to the generosity of the Adelaide 36'ers that they are not the worst defensive efficinecy team in the league allowing 114 points per 100 possessions. Again this is something Wildcats basketball was known for, defence.

The offence dies when anyone not Cotton touches the ball.

Wildcats fans must be hoping Nick Nurse doesn't need Trevor anymore. Rillie is god awful for taking something Scott Morrison destroyed and making it worse.

I am tempted to give them an F when considering the money gone into this team.

Somehow PErth are 3rd in Offensive Efficiency.

Adelaide

Grade : D

The Sixers....what can you say that has not already been said in this forum. The season started out with so much hope, earmarked by that incredible NBA win. I did not label them championship favourites then, nor agreed with Championship or bust because I knew there was at least Sydney to get past.

Then there was the Randall incident(s).

Despite having elite defenders at key wing positions we are dead last in defensive efficiency, dead last. This is the elephant in the room, this needs to be addressed but there doesn't seem to be any urgency nor progress.

Despite having capable scorers like DJ, Franks, Cleveland, were are only middle of the pack in Offensive efficiency.

4K McCarron feels like he has regressed like 3p shooting has dropped off a cliff, but he is scoring more than last year, at a better clip in less minutes.

Other role players like Sunday Dech definitely have regressed by scoring less and at a worse clip having been given less time.

The only consistent thing about the Adelaide 36'ers is the constant calls from Pinoy to give Kai more undeserved minutes. If this translated into points or defensive stops, Adelaide would win the championship.

CJ is not the answer at coach from what I can see, hopefully GK is happy to pay out his contract. Unless a change is made to this roster, I cannot see them winning 9 gaes of the remainder 14 to make the play in.

Melbourne

Grade : F

There is a decent chasm between Adelaide and United on the ladder. United have played the most games and are 6 and 11 (they should be 7 and 10). This means they need to win 9 of their next 11 remaining games just to make the play in. Teams from Melbourne and below should start planning where they are going fishing after Round 24.

This team just looks disjointed from the start. The roster make up was odd, why Newley? Why Barlow's retirement then unretirement? Jordan Caroline was awful albeit someone of decent character going by what Vickerman said.

Understandaly when you lose McCarron, JLA, Landale, White in a couple of years it catches up with you but I expect a Vickerman lead team to be more competitive.

XRM whilst a good scorer doesn't seem to go well with CG43.

Marcus Lee so far is not moving the needle.

Brisbane

This club just cannot get things right.

I never thought Baynes made them championship contenders but playoffs for sure.

They have Baynes, Sobey, Johnson and Mitchell thats not too shabby of a top 4 players of the team.

Duncan was an awful coach, god knows how he kept his job for so long.

Illawarra

This club has regressed so much and so quickly. They were 2nd last year. Shows how much Goorj brought to the team.

This new hobbit they brought in just isn't doing it.

They still have stars like Harvey and Froling and I thought Peyton Siva would make a big difference but seems the best is behind him.

Michael Frazier III was one of the worst if not the worst import last season seems to be doing well so far (very small sample space granted).

Above all this their fans don't even want to view this trash.

Even if the rumours are untrue, please relocate this club to a place with more basketball heart.

Topic #50683 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Two years ago

Melbourne were screwed the minute Hukporti went down, and Ili missing a ton of time has done them no favors. I'd also be surprised if you need 15 wins to make the play-in. 14-14 was good enough for top four in some previous years.

Illawarra, likewise, just don't have the cattle, it's silly to put it all on Jackomas. In regards to both Jackomas and Rillie, almost every rookie coach struggles. Dean Vickerman, Adam Forde and Mike Kelly all had atrocious first years before dramatic year two turnarounds. Not everyone is Scott Roth.

Overly generous to give Brisbane an F, IMO. Absolute garbage fire.

Reply #906529 | Report this post

An1234  
Two years ago

Forde inherited Kelly's team, still improved from his record the year before.

Reply #906535 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Kelly never coached the Kings.

Reply #906536 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Forde first season was at kings, they had a good side, finished fourth but missed finals on percentage. It clearly was an underperformance of the side though they got better as season went. They beat United in an OT win in second last round, United went on win the championship.
Coaches take time just like players, imo the sacking of Duncan was a massive panic by owners. Brisbane were in most game and led a lot in first half only to collapse. They had a few selfish players and Baynes really never hit his straps, but let's sack the coach, that fixes all, well it hasn’t.

Reply #906537 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Duncan is into his second year and by all reports none of the players want to play for him.

Reply #906539 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

By all reports, white ant the club from the inside, Sobey was happy enough to sign a new long term contract, Baynes signed as well.

Brisbane are just a basket case, very disappointing for there fans who have been strong in numbers.

Reply #906545 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Former head coach Duncan had limited input when it came to key roster decisions during his tenure, sources said. This extended to the NBA Summer League in July, where Duncan was told he was not required in Las Vegas as critical scouting and roster decisions were made, even after offering to pay for his own flights and accommodation.

Explains a lot doesn't it. I was being to kind calling them a basket case.

Reply #906550 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

I'd give United a D. Mostly based on poor selection of imports.

It's very difficult when you're trying to put a team together late in the off season without knowing if two of your key pieces are returning. It's also difficult when two other key pieces have missed all (Hukporti) or most (Ili) of the season.

6-11 with some close losses recently isn't catastrophic or deserving of an E/F in those circumstances.

Reply #906565 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

And, it's not even that the imports were that bad, they just didn't fit together very well, but that was also worsened by injuries.

Essentially both Tucker and Caroline were playing out of position, Tucker trying to cover XRM at point (especially when Barker and Ili were both injured for a few games) and Caroline playing Centre. Both situations exacerbated by absences of Ili and Hukporti.

Notwithstanding all that, Caroline wasn't up to it. And Tucker, while he's found a groove and making a decent contribution, hasn't been as good as his G League record (or his own pre season comments) would've suggested. Not in the All NBL mix.

Reply #906566 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Is a C for Tasmania a bit rough?

Reply #906634 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Hawks have one NBL level player outside of imports, they are where everyone expected...

United lost Delly, White, JLA from last year, and Mccaron and Jock the year before, and are still trying to patch it back together…

Reply #906657 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:08 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754