Reader
Two years ago

Sixers "light years" above salary cap: Bogut

Bogut has said the Sixers are the "highest spenders by far" and presumed they are "light years" above the salary cap.

From the Daily Telegraph article on December 24:

___

"Adelaide, geez, they are sure spending money," Bogut said.

"I hope they do well, they've got a very good team on paper, but they've got to be the highest spenders by far."

"McCarron is probably one of the highest paid Aussies in the league, Johnson wouldn't be on a small salary, they've got Franks, Cleveland," he said.

We (Sydney) know Cleveland makes a lot of money because we were going after him at one point.

They've got to be light years above the cap, and no one is talking about Adelaide trying to buy a championship.

We (Sydney) copped heat last season for buying a championship and we were under the bloody cap.

Adelaide are just finding money from God knows where. They are spending it, I'm telling you.

Topic #50724 | Report this topic

Scout  
Two years ago

Yeah ok, Bogut is to be believed.

Lot of substance to his opinions.

Reply #907508 | Report this post

Leemac1979  
Two years ago

The 36ers owner said in the latest episode of Unrivalled that they haven't spent anymore than last year. Just recruited well. So unless Bogut has some actual info to share he's just guessing.

Reply #907509 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Classic Bogeyman

Reply #907510 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

"We were under the bloody cap"

Would be a cool statement from Rogue Bogues, except he knows full well that teams are measured on 'cap value' and actual spend at two entirely different amounts. Sydney would surely be amongst the ‘real’ biggest spenders in the league.

Reply #907511 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

The Kings couldn't afford players like Ian Clark, oh wait.

The reality is aside from being a complete muppet Andrew "pizzagate" Bogut knows damn well the Kings spent like drunker sailors in buying their championship last season. They were just able to 'hide' it within the very loose some would say deliberately rubbery confines of the 'salary cap'.

Are the 36ers spending big this season? Yes no doubt but I bet the Kings spent more on their all-star team last season.

Reply #907513 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Actually believe him to be honest. Of course Adelaide aren't the Lone Ranger in terms of being guilty of that over the years.

Reply #907514 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Two years ago

Sixers don't have Humphries this year who was on a lot last season

Reply #907516 | Report this post

Leemac1979  
Two years ago

Frisbee14 why do you beleive him. DJs in his twilight he wouldn't be on as much as he thinks. And just because Cleveland didn't want to go to them for big money doesn't mean he didn't take less in Adelaide. Seems him and Frank's have a good relationship. Besides that after mccaron and imports. Players like Harris, Marshall, Galloway and so on wouldn't be on much. Can't see why they wouldn't be under or right on the salary cap. They have 3 imports like any other team.

Reply #907517 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

After a spin Sydney have been producing about salary cap spending, clearly camouflaging how much they were actually spending, I wouldn't pay too much attention to anything that comes from them on the subject.

Reply #907519 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Leemac1979,

DJ is in the last year of a two-year contract extension he signed in 2020 so he's likely still on reasonably good money. Cleveland & Franks have the same agent which no doubt helped in getting both of them to come to Adelaide. I highly doubt Cleveland is on that big of money, Franks probably is though.

People forget Humphries was on $400k a year both years he was in Adelaide.

Reply #907521 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Pot calling the kettle black, great player was Andrew, his one line we know where fiba is were great, but boy some of his shite is ridiculous.
Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney even SEM, Perth are spending big, you need to if you are interested in winning, add United.

Reply #907522 | Report this post

Leemac1979  
Two years ago

Zodiac yeah I get that but when they done the 2 year extension they wouldve known he's near the end more than the start. So would be getting mediocre dollars. And you're right about Humphries. I just think Bogut is trying to stir the pot as he does.

Reply #907523 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I don't know 3 seasons ago DJ was still a very good player only in his early 30's and not reliant on athleticism in any way to be effective in future. I still think he would be on pretty good money now but that will likely all change next season.

Reply #907525 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

I think DJ is on decent money still, not mediocre. Where's your source he's on crap money? Despite his defincies he's not playing for peanuts.
Bogut might talk crap but he seems to be on money with what he's saying.

Reply #907536 | Report this post

Geth  
Two years ago

Two things:

1. These conversations are somewhat redundant when there is no salary / contract transparency. When I think of sport in general, the top leagues and events, have transparency around the numbers and that makes the spectacle all the more exciting not to mention provide additional storylines from a analysis perspective.

2. I'd love for an ex-NBA Australian player to do what Larry Kestleman has done for the league, albeit at a smaller scale with a regional / small-market team (e.g. Illawarra). All the respect for Bogut coming back to the NBL to end his career, but it’d have been more impressive to have done so at not-Sydney and not-Melbourne. That’d be trailblazing to revive a small market, instead of just going to the biggest teams. In business you call these "distressed assets". Joe Ingles upon his return, in Cairns perhaps?

Reply #907546 | Report this post

Bored  
Two years ago

Hiding behind the ability to hide 4 marquee players salary from the cap here Bogut. Open the real books or shut the fuck up.

Reply #907548 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

You can only have one marquee if you have three imports.

Reply #907557 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Fantastic crowd, cats better get the tape out on the height of that ring, under 12 don't shoot frees that bad.

Reply #907564 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

^^ wrong thread

Reply #907568 | Report this post

Reader  
Two years ago

"Cleveland & Franks have the same agent which no doubt helped in getting both of them to come to Adelaide. I highly doubt Cleveland is on that big of money, Franks probably is though."

The article did also say that Cleveland and Franks both commanded "astronomical" money to move to Adelaide and that Clark is being paid US$50k/month.

Reply #907598 | Report this post

Jonno  
Two years ago

Oh yea this is the same Bogut who said Adams, Clark, Vasiljevic, Cooks, Martin was a budget roster and not one of the big spenders when it would have likely been more expensive than this years Adelaide roster.

Im sure Walton, Cooks, Vasiljevic and Simon are all playing for min salary for Sydney too.

Yes, the 36ers have spent, to compete the championship you generally need to, but yea not sure Id be trusting Bogut on any topic.

Reply #907599 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Wish the league could just put out the player salary caps. It really bugs me as members we don't know exactly what clubs are spending on.

Would like to see what United spend on their roster this season, it’s been a wasted year. Perth, Adelaide, Sydney and Tasmania would also be interesting to see. Tassie spent a bit last season from memory.

NBL season should start early September and make all teams play an extra 8 games in that month. It will even out the fixtures or even end the season later in late March, start finals late March till early April. Possibly play the extra regular games in February till early March like what British Basketball League does.

Reply #907600 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Two years ago

This would be the same Bogut whom the Kings paid 10% ownership of the club plus a wheelbarrow of cash to play 2 seasons of NBL. The Kings were valued at over $10 million at the time and the NBL salary cap was less than $1.4 million. But as a marquee he was 'only' worth ~$160,000 to the salary cap in each year.

So yeah, glass houses come to mind.

Reply #907603 | Report this post

Leemac1979  
Two years ago

@Reader. Well there's only 1 month of normal season left so Clark won't be taking to much. And an article might say they commanded huge money but doesn't make it true. Franks biggest thing is to try and get back to NBA and success will help that so getting the right team together for him was probably more important for his long term goal. But hey no one really knows what goes on do they.

Reply #907604 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

i got sick of Bogut a few years ago, he really does seem like an idiot.

Reply #907667 | Report this post

Bored  
Two years ago

Correct me if i am wrong Kobe but you can use marquee slots on imports, no? Thus hiding your imports salary from the cap as well.

Reply #907684 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

No, marquees have to be locals.

Reply #907692 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:50 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754