Denny Crane
Two years ago

Canberra in Yellow

How in the world can there be a colour clash that bad that the away team is wearing and NBL1 teams singlets???

Cmon WNBL... No wonder why the league is struggling

Topic #50726 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Filmed with a potatoe.

Reply #907615 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Two years ago

Caps apparently travelled with the wrong uniforms. You would think that Flyers could have switched to their white strip to allow both teams to wear their uniforms.

Reply #907616 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

WNBL gonna WNBL. The sooner LK gets a hold of the league the better.

Reply #907617 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Two years ago

Canberra travel with their away strip, which is blue.
Agreed Southside could have gone white.
But in saying that, at least the sponsors of Knox NBL1 are getting their moneys worth!!

Reply #907618 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Broadcast just terrible once again.

Reply #907620 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

What's confusing is that I think the ESPN broadcast and NineNow broadcasts are different - scoreboard etc. are definitely different. ESPN broadcast is by the same as the NBL (JamTV) I think.

NBL really needs to take control of the wnbl for the benefit of everyone... By say "need" I mean pleaaaaaaseeee LK? With a cherry on top?

Reply #907621 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

The contract was given to Eddie maguires media company who subcontracts off to other local broadcasting companies. That's why broadcast quality and format looks different all across Aus.

Reply #907622 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Wearing Knox Raiders uniforms

Reply #907624 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Collier as the only wnbl full timer should be put under the pump.

Reply #907625 | Report this post

Footloose  
Two years ago

Lk has already tried, BA won't give it up. As for the uniforms, surely if Flyers had access to their white uniforms they’d have worn them.

Reply #907629 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Lk wanted it handed over for nothing and ba thought it wasn't a good idea. 2 years on and the league still struggles with the basics.

Reply #907630 | Report this post

Footloose  
Two years ago

If they cared about women's basketball they would hand it to him & thank him in advance

Reply #907631 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Reply #907632 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Ahhh those were the days

Reply #907633 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

LK has to buy the WNBL. They should reform a new league with new teams that aline with the men's nbl teams. It’s easy to follow if that happened.

Have a double header NBL Cup-WNBL Cup sudden finals at the same stadium.

Reply #907634 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

This is very simple and has zero to do with women's basketball. BA just suck balls top to bottom. They just employ incompetent people continually. Shit their referee department is the who’s who of dis-functional

Reply #907635 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Agree with seb, ba need an overhaul. Countless problems over the last 3-4 years.

Reply #907636 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Brutal

Reply #907637 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

LK has to buy the WNBL. They should reform a new league with new teams that aline with the men's nbl teams. It's easy to follow if that happened.
Do you reintroduce the Crocodiles, or get rid of the Fire? What do you do with Bendigo, Cairns, Brisbane and New Zealand? Are you rebranding the teams, or leaving them be and just buddying them up with a team from the other league?

The WNBL has been its own thing for way too long to just fold it into the NBL like that.

Reply #907638 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I think you'd work hard to affiliate where possible opposed to forcing relocation or a rebrand to reflect NBL club branding.

I guess look to GLeague and how they affiliate?

NBL clubs aren’t really strong enough for a women’s team to benefit from rebranding IMO.

If you wanted to do it, Perth Wildcats I guess would be first, even though Lynx is hardly different. Melbourne Tigers would be the best one but since the men’s team is United that goes caput.

Flames to Kings really wouldn’t work...

Reply #907640 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

If you wanted to do it, Perth Wildcats I guess would be first, even though Lynx is hardly different.
The Lynx became the Lynx when the Wildcats bought them, so the similarity there is entirely intentional.

Melbourne Tigers would be the best one but since the men's team is United that goes caput.
The Melbourne Tigers don't play WNBL either, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Reply #907641 | Report this post

Rod  
Two years ago

Would you believe the white Southside jerseys were at each players' house - it seems they do their own laundry. You cant make this stuff up!

Reply #907642 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

"the similarity there is entirely intentional."
Yes, duh.

“ The Melbourne Tigers don't play WNBL”
Yes, duh again.

“so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.”
Clearly you don't, hence the above quotes.
Why did you have to waste precious words in the process?

I was commenting that affiliation like GLeague where brand and location can be different would be better than alignment by brand and location (such as AFL/AFLW style).

Do you need further elaboration?

Reply #907643 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Flames are owned by the kings.

Reply #907645 | Report this post

GordonG  
Two years ago

What do you do with Bendigo, Cairns, Brisbane and New Zealand?

Don't know about the others, but Cairns definitely has a WNBL team on the road map. Work on upgrading the Fishtank has been underway for a while now so that they have a home base.

Reply #907647 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

I was commenting that affiliation like GLeague where brand and location can be different would be better than alignment by brand and location (such as AFL/AFLW style).

Do you need further elaboration?
I still don't see where the Melbourne Tigers come in.

Location has to be the same for affiliation to mean anything. It can differ in the G-League because you're sharing players, but in the (W)NBL you'd be doing it to share fanbases, which can't happen if you're in disparate geographic locations. The Bendigo Spirit and Perth Wildcats share ownership, but attempting to affiliate them would be silly because Wildcats fans aren't about to trek to Victoria for a WNBL game and Spirit fans aren't heading out here to go to the NBL either.

Reply #907651 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I was more thinking what Britain do with their men's BBL and women’s WBBL competitions. But their women’s competition only reformed in 2014.

WNBL has history so best keeping the teams. If LK owned the league then best affiliating the teams like the Kings/Flames with the same ownership. Bendigo is a tricky one since there’s already Boomers and Flyers. I just would like to see the women also competing when the men’s games are on. I would watch double headers if United could do affiliation with the Boomers etc.

Reply #907652 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

It's not that difficult...

NBL / wnbl

Perth wildcats / Perth Lynx
Adelaide 36ers / Adelaide Lightning
Sydney kings / Sydney flames
Melbourne United / Melbourne boomers
SEM Phoenix / Southside becomes SEM flyers
Illawarra hawks move license to Canberra cannons / Canberra capitals
Tasmania jackjumpers / Bendigo move license to Tasmania spirit
Brisbane bullets / Enter Brisbane … team
Cairns taipans / Enter Cairns … team
NZ breakers / Enter NZ … team
Enter Townsville … team / Townsville fire

Training playing bases the same for both.

Reply #907654 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

" The Bendigo Spirit and Perth Wildcats share ownership, but attempting to affiliate them would be silly because Wildcats fans aren't about to trek to Victoria for a WNBL game and Spirit fans aren't heading out here to go to the NBL either."

You're mixing-up ownership and affiliation. You don’t HAVE to own both clubs to affiliate.

Ie Lightning/36ers, Lynx/Wildcats, Boomers/United, Flyers/Phoenix

You can also look to ALeague where they have Canberra United as an additional club in the women’s or AFLW where Kangaroos are based in Tasmania.

They wouldn’t have to exercise strict alignment to relocate and remove clubs. It might be a good reason to add a team or two though like a Cairns and Tasmania, if viable.

Reply #907655 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Canberra mens a league is next in...

Reply #907656 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:03 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754