GordonG
Last year

Bullets v Taipans 5/1

We're on a roll, but the Bullets seem to be getting their act together. Could be a nail-biter. Or not. Discuss :)

Topic #50751 | Report this topic

Rod  
Last year

i reckon the Bullets match up pretty well with Cairns. i'll tip an upset if Sobey can have less than 5 TOs...

Reply #908252 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Just read no Forde, guessing Covid. Obviously no Pinder still.

Are we to assume Brisbane is at full strength and Baynes is playing?

Will watch with some interest. Cairns have been lethargic in patches the last few games and could easily be caught napping if Brisbane show up motivated to win.

Reply #908253 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

If Cairns want to be a top 2-3 side they have to win this, McCall calls a lot shots anyway. Yes Brisbane on paper look strong but to many egos. So to put the kiss off death on Cairns I'm tipping them by a few.

Reply #908254 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

So Djerics allowed to come up behind Mitchell and hip and shoulder him with no repercussions. JFC NBL refs...

Reply #908276 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Djeric comes in with his hand bag bumps a player, runs back out and then gets two free throws.

Reply #908277 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

Kerbs dumb as a post

Reply #908278 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

Why the ref is holding Krebs back? Shouldn't be touching players.

Reply #908279 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

Baynes is bloody terrible - I never expected much from him but he's barely an NBL1 player. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional.

Reply #908283 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

A second contender. Baynes also dumb as a post. Try to contribute it a positive way.

Reply #908284 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

This game is an utter embarrassment for Brisbane.

Reply #908285 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

@ screeningnick,

It's a shame but so true. They sacked their coach when they should have sacked McKinnon for putting this side together. Sobey has also been terrible and they are big money players. I hope coach Duncan gets his money or what he’s entitled to.

Reply #908286 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

Bullets need a clean out. Too many guys whose belief is way bigger than their talent now. How does this coach sort through the crap he's been left with? Good luck!

Reply #908287 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Hopefully the Brisbane fan base that have turned up game after game get a side that at least competes next season. Rebuild the whole squad, if Sobey is contracted, get a coach that ain't putting up with crap.

Reply #908288 | Report this post

Rod  
Last year

can i change my pick?

Reply #908290 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Is there a mercy rule in the NBL? Asking for a friend.

Reply #908292 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Oh my. Lmao.

Reply #908293 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Who do you keep if you are Brisbane.

Gak
Mitchell
Krebs
Cadee
The above all bench guys

Harrison a starter, no one else
Imports , point guard, three man scorer and defensively strong, four man defender passer
Sobey if he plays unselfish

Gak and Harrison can rotate the five
Import, Mitchell
Import, Krebs
Sobey, find local
Import, Cadee.

Reply #908294 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

The Bullets NEED a bullet.

"Come on old yeller, let's go for a ride ...."

Reply #908295 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Last year

This game has degenerated into a real shitshow. Brisbane are embarrassing.

Reply #908296 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Add Statman to that team above.

Reply #908298 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

I thought Rucker claimed Brisbane had the best back court in the league

Reply #908300 | Report this post

DR  
Last year

Brisbanes issues are sobey sooky not a team player all about him .Krebbs gets 5 th foul has a hissy fit sooks to the changerooms . Harry froling why would you sign him lazy nbl1 player at best no point

Reply #908301 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

The Bane's gamble hasn’t helped. What a shit show. Chance for teams playing the bullets to get record stats

Reply #908302 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

What can you say about the Bullets? Not even competitive. Embarrassing. And at home. Where to now for the rest of the season?

Reply #908303 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I hope there's some good karma heading James Duncan’s way.

He did not have enough head coaching experience to handle the Brisbane train wreck, but was still too good a person to be put in that situation.

Reply #908305 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Last year

And what to say about the Taipans; except that they spent the second half trying to erase the first half sdvantage?

Reply #908306 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Worst Bullets team since the 2000-01 squad went 4 and 24.

Despite being a roster full of peasants though, we could all get behind the 2000 team because they at least gave effort and knew who they were.

Reply #908308 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I had them outside the finals before the first bounce, to many iso, non defensive players to be competitive. How many players in that team have finals experience, the ones that have don't have much. There is a reason for that.

Reply #908316 | Report this post

Puttinup Bricks  
Last year

Something seriously wrong at Bullets. Baynes is putting in no effort at all. Massively overrated.

Reply #908319 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Worst Bullets team since the 2000-01 squad went 4 and 24.

Despite being a roster full of peasants though, we could all get behind the 2000 team because they at least gave effort and knew who they were.

Correct, at least they cared. I recall Richard Orlick pretty much cried on camera about the situation.

Reply #908321 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Sobey (2 years left) and Baynes (1 year left) are both under contract for next season.

Reply #908324 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Import-Cadee-NS
Sobey-Galloway-Krebs
Import-Stattman-Diing*
Import-Mitchell-Johns*
Wetzell-Froling-DGak*

*DP

Cut
Bach
Johnson
GGak
Baynes
Harrison

Reply #908325 | Report this post

proud  
Last year

Well done Cairns on the win and playing with more fight than Bullets but seriously, you couldn't give your fans free cheeseburgers c’mon.

Well done on your first win as coach

Reply #908330 | Report this post

TaipansTragic  
Last year

Was excited for Brisbane coming into this season, but I guess the elephant in the room was too many ball dominant guards, no true PG/Facilitator. Assumed they would've tried to get an Import in the Machado/Shannon Scott mould - stealing Taipans imports have always worked well for them ;) But also highlights how poorly the roster was constructed this season, in my opinion. It does not look balanced at all.

Sucks that Baynes hasn’t been able to have the impact that Bogut had in his first season back in the NBL, for the Kings. Also is it time to end the Point Guard Sobey experiment???

If Baynes isn’t around next season, I’m Chasing either Isaac Fotu/Nick Kay with close to the amount that Baynes is on, Multi Year deal + NBA out clause. I’d like to go with Kay, and get an import big.

Import*/Cadee
Sobey/Krebs
Import*/Stattmann
Kay/Mitchell
Import*/Froling/Gak

Reply #908331 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

When the head coach doesn't get a say in the roster, even after offering to pay his own way to summer league and the team is put together by McKinnon like it has every recent season and they fail, it’s sack the coach for worse results. No wonder the owners are starting to ask questions.
While Vanderjagt comes over as a quality person and has what looks like a basketball brain, he’s still making excuses for his team, Sobey playing with injuries, trying his best, Johnson taking time to learn the fiba system, not nba style etc.
These guys are highly paid professionals, once you are on the court, no excuses, the owners got put broom through the joint. They should chase Gleeson on a multi year deal letting him put his side together, get rid of McKinnon, he’s achieved nothing. You can’t have players dictate terms, you have to bring them with you on your own terms.

Reply #908334 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I'd keep Sobey for next season, because he & Cadee are the heart and soul of Brisbane, but ONLY as a bench player or occasional starter.

I’d keep Harrison, but also as a bench player. No way would I keep Froling, not even on the bench - his size and occasional 3-point shots don’t make up for the other inadequacies.

Sobey’s problems, as I see it
- he STILL seems like he’s trying to better than Mitch Creek, and fails, at the expense of team play
- he’s being played out of position
- he’s part of a team that looks good on paper but isn’t gelling or delivering success, and the frustrations show in their play
- his coach and the players around him don’t seem to give him the confidence to back off and enjoy the game a bit
- he’s still a good player but just isn’t as good as he was, and cannot seem to accept it
- he’s incredibly competitive, as if every little thing is life and death; emotion improves effort when used in small bursts, but clouds judgement in general, and some of his decision-making is just dumb
- he plays to the refs too much, rather than just PLAYING
- he seems to be the leader but I don’t see much sign of leadership - too much iso stuff and chest-beating rather than team direction and guidance
- could there be a bit of tension due to Baynes’ arrival? Sobey was the money man for years, and along comes Baynes with a big reputation and who’s never short of opinions and 'advice’

No doubt some of you know him better than me, so feel free to correct anything I’ve misunderstood

Reply #908335 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Bullets spent a lot money on two guys that have not performed, still contracted next season, it's a long way back now.

Reply #908341 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Things can change markedly with a good off-season and pre-season, just ask Cairns and New Zealand.

Reply #908342 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:25 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754