BigFishLittlePond
Last year

Adelaide Lightning ⚡️ Pride

How does everyone review the poor record this season ?

This is a ball club with a proud history but unfortunately with a coach change after making finals last season & import changes they seem to have an inferior team now & not be playing as hard nosed as they did under Lucas

Talbot is all class and they missed her tonight

She did do a good job of showing leadership off the bench when the import lost some focus

Where to now for Adelaide Lightning squad ?

Topic #50787 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Need alot of help, no Talbot and they look like bottom dwellers.

Somethig like...

Import-Mansfield-Brett(dp) or Sawyer(dp)
Borlase-Fejo-Brazel(dp)
Talbot-Sharp*-Gordon(dp)
Smith*-Horvat*-Hank(dp)
Import-Aokuso*-Rees(dp)

*possible pickups from europe, players that have dropped down the pecking order or players in need of a change.

Move elsewhere
Cubillo, Perth as a backup
Basham
Hines
Simons
Whittle, Bendigo to add depth
Coleman
Batish

Cut
Monroe

Reply #909241 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

Monroe's behaviour towards a specific umpire last night was deplorable & definitely warrants a suspension by the WNBL. Her actions were out of control & set a very poor example for many junior basketballers in attendance. I reckon Adelaide Lightning Coaching Staff would like there time over again with their animated discussion with the umpires after the game, it wasn’t a great look & many people could hear the colourful language used by Lightning Head Coach.

Reply #909271 | Report this post

BigFishLittlePond  
Last year

Not sure about moving Simons on who is one girl who can be amazing with more opportunities

I also feel Whitle should be a starter on this team with our without Talbot playing however last night she came off the bench & was by far Lightnings best player

Reply #909273 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Simons can spot shoot and that's about it.

Reply #909274 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

I agree Simmons game is limited to catch & shoot, she's a liability defensively & struggles to keep players in front of her.

Reply #909276 | Report this post

BigFishLittlePond  
Last year

Sorry I disagree
With good coaching, she has plenty more to her game

Regarding the conversation after the game between Coach & Refs, the Refs should not have stayed that long with all the emotion, better to shower and discuss at a later stage

Munro is as wild after fouling out early

Reply #909277 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Jan Stirling is the one holding BA back.

Reply #909279 | Report this post

BigFishLittlePond  
Last year

But as an administrator she was a great coach

Reply #909280 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Very successful coach, a long time ago though.

Reply #909281 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Jan Stirling *was* a great coach. I think basketball has moved on since she was coaching.

Reply #909282 | Report this post

BigFishLittlePond  
Last year

Do you mean the game has moved on to great modern coaches like Nat Hurst & CJ Bruton?

Brian Goorgian is still a successful coach

I can't see why Stirling would not still be an amazing coach, if she was to take a job

Reply #909287 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

I don't think Jan Stirling is an "amazing" coach. She was very successful but she also had a lot of talent to work with. I somehow don't think she would do as well nowadays with a middling roster. She hasn't coached for a while either.

Reply #909290 | Report this post

Shotblocker  
Last year

Striking has been outdated for the past ten years, the entirety of BA needs a full clean out, but it's so filled with nepotism that it’s a continual sinking ship
As far as Adelaide is concerned they are no different from any other team in the WNBL who have imports, Australia get the bottom dwellers of the WNBA, we have better players within our own ranks that could fill all the import spots , the amount of budget used on imports that could be better spent giving our home grown players a decent wage to Keep them in the competition

The standard of the WNBL falls lower every year, the NBL1 teams have a higher quality of game on average

Reply #909372 | Report this post

Armageddon  
Last year

The Adelaide Lightning owners have the funds to put together a quality team. The GM at the time was handpicked by BSA and the outgoing CEO to replace him at BSA.

This is the team that GM put together. Rookie coach with an assist with no real WNBL experience. Coach has since sought out help from an ex-assistant/VIC based junior coach (who no one else will go near) to guide her.

One player. One junior. Talbot is a worldclass star and Borlase is a future Opal but that's all this team has. The balance of the team are fringe players other WNBL clubs don't want, and are very limited in skill set.

Under the new rich owners and the previous GM the Lightning have gone backwards in every measurable department.

The new GM is way out of his depth also. It's amateur hour there.

Reply #909374 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

^^ accurate assessment Armageddon.

Shotblocker to suggest that NBL1 is a better standard that WNBL is ludicrous. Plus Tiff Mitchell, Ododa-Nelson, Thornton & Hawkins all say hi

Reply #909377 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

The Lightning Team in 2023 is subpar & was never going to compete & contest with the best teams. Their import selections have been shocking the last 2 years & they've chosen to ignore quality SA talent playing significant roles in other WNBL teams. So basically they’ve got what they’ve deserved the last 2 years!

Reply #909380 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Those SA vets don't want to play in Adelaide tbf.

George, Madgen, Wilson, Yaeger etc

Reply #909431 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

Weedy Slug - some of those players weren't approached by Lightning at all, the Lightning prioritised their current roster over such players.

Reply #909438 | Report this post

Shotblocker  
Last year

Time these "clubs" allowed coaches to choose the team, managers picking the team before signing the coaching staff is madness
These “managers need to butt out of player choices and concentrate on business and promoting the club

Reply #909439 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Just because you were born in South Australia means you want to play for Adelaide? I don't think players (or people) actually think like that. Plenty of people moving to different cities and states who never think about returning to their place of birth.

Reply #909443 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Unfortunately SP local Adelaide basketball fans only want SA talent. Be it WNBL or NBL. Very much stuck in the past.

Reply #909447 | Report this post

+  
Last year

to a pro player its their employment - so just like everything else - you can work where you want and why you want - if I could I would

Reply #909448 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:08 am, Tue 30 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754