Isaac
Last year

Josh Giddey's form

Strong month for Giddey. Averaging 19/7/7 with a 6-2 record in January so far. Stepped up from 25/10/6 a couple of days ago to 28/9/9 today, tying his career high. Three straight road wins.

Second for OKC in scoring. Leads them in rebounding, leads them in assists.

The Thunder are ahead of the Lakers in the standings, level with Phoenix.

Topic #50793 | Report this topic

cavolo  
Last year

He's realising his strength and ability on the back of very evident skill refinement and picking his spots.

Fantastic to see - only 20 still and so much development and experience to add to this great young man already. Can't wait to see him play for the Boomers!

Reply #909371 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Simmons with dnp. Would have been nice to see head to head contest.

Reply #909375 | Report this post

+  
Last year

well done to his team and coach too - bringing the best

Reply #909392 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

If he keeps this up I reckon he's a real chance to nudge Sobey out of the boomers final 12.

Reply #909395 | Report this post

curtley  
Last year

LOL @ Luuuuuc

Significantly better than Simmons at this point of their respective careers, who would've thought.

Reply #909398 | Report this post

Eagle  
Last year

Honestly @Luuuuuc Giddey 100% bumps sobey off the roster at this point imo. He's the best NBA player Australia has to offer at this point but don’t get it twisted I still think patty is the best FIBA player we have and I think even Landale will be more effective at a fiba level than giddey. I just feel like Giddey’s length and passing ability are too much to pass up on at this point but I admit it’s hard to imagine an awesome lineup around him considering his liabilities both on defence and in shooting. Perhaps a lineup of Him at the 1 patty at the 2 Thybulle at the 3 w Ingles as 4 and Landale at 5 would provide enough spacing and defence to work but still not perfect. Alas he provides far more than Sobey can at this point and they’re trajectories are in opposite directions at this point too.

Reply #909433 | Report this post

cavolo  
Last year

@Eagle.... I think @Luuuuuc was exhibiting some very humorous sarcasm with his post about Sobey v Giddey ;) Clearly daylight between them for a Boomers spot.

Reply #909440 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

curtley - it's an interesting comparison now because in a league full of athletes, the measured Giddey can be more effective than the explosive Simmons. (The looming threepeat MVP in Jokic isn't exactly athletic either.)

If Simmons was unencumbered by injury and mental aspects, I'd guess their statistical output would be quite similar despite very different game styles.

Reply #909441 | Report this post

pattymillsMVP  
Last year

Giddey is currently anrguably Australia's best player. The boomers should be built around him.

Reply #909442 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Last year

Good numbers from Giddey.
(Wilt Chamberlain got 50points 110 times. Second Michael Jackson 35 times)

Reply #909444 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Michael Jackson was bad.

Reply #909445 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Giddey's only problem is he can't guard his own shadow. He is very bad on the defensive side of the ball.

Reply #909446 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

I think his defensive short comings are a tad over stated. On the advanced metrics he's somewhere between a little below average to average. Much of this is his team effectively hiding him, but he does several things very well for his position, especially rebounding.

Reply #909450 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

Simmons should never suit up for Boomers, especially with Giddey on the team now. Giddey can keep teams honest from the perimeter, but shooting isn't his strength. So teams would probably pack the paint and deny Mills the 3 with Simmons just in the way. Plus Aussie Matisse who's shooting poorly and in the doghouse, and that's if he makes team anyway. And Sobey, meh, definitely blood a youngster instead.
Simmons has gone from being the next LeBron to being the next Draymond. And to cheap shot a teammate, yet be the less toxic player, just shows what Simmons is.

Reply #909460 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Dray > Ben

Dray will shoot the ball. Ben wants nothing to do with it.

Reply #909462 | Report this post

Interpreter  
Last year

28-9-9 on >50fg%, beating the Nets on the road. Still putting up numbers with Shai back in the lineup.

Giddey is figuring things out!

Reply #909463 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

I think this goes to show that there really is more than one way to being an effective NBA player. He's still an average three point shooter, a subpar defender and he rarely gets to the free throw line. However, he's carved out a niche for himself by being an efficient 2 point scorer, a great rebounder for a guard and a good playmaker. He's not even on a team that maximises his strengths - I don't think SGA is the ideal backcourt partner for him, but they're making it work regardless.

Reply #909466 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Even if he is a below average defender, his length gives him an upside over every other pg we have defensively. I am not so worried about having his defensive weaknss on the Boomers knowing the kinds of players we can sit around him. He's developing nicely and no doubt will become an adequate defender.

Reply #909469 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:06 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754