curtley
Last year

NBL gets rid of Rookie of the Year Award

The NBL has announced there will now be a Next Gen Award for the best players under 25 of any nationality.

https://nbl.com.au/news/nbl-launches-next-generation-award

I believe this is a step in the right direction given how many previous Rookies of the Year had fairly ordinary careers - or at the least had pretty ordinary stats in their rookie year (e.g all winners from '98-2003).

Only issues is I think 25 is a bit old to be winning it given the fact players such as Harry Frolling who is in his 6th year is eligible.

Also, can you win three years straight in theory? It's also possible that the MVP will also win this award every now and then, especially by an import.

Topic #50794 | Report this topic

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

True, 25 is a bit old to be winning it, you need to be 24 or under ;-)

Reply #909449 | Report this post

Frog39  
Last year

I think 25 is fine. Players are playing for a lot longer now, well into their 30s, and breaking in older now too compared to how it used to be. 25 used to be considered "older" 5-10 years ago. Now you're given much more leverage, which I think is great.

Reply #909452 | Report this post

GordonG  
Last year

Seems strange to change the award requirements with only a few rounds of the season to go...

Reply #909453 | Report this post

Bored  
Last year

Not much info in that article? So in theory an American could win this that has been playing professionally for 2-5 years?

Reply #909454 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Just to be clear, you need to be under 25 at the end of the season in question. I think it should be an award you can only win once, and certainly don't agree with imports being able to win it, otherwise in 2014 it would have ended up at the bottom of the Yarra ;-)

Reply #909455 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Last year

So they saw LaMelo Ball win Rookie of the Year and decided it would be even cooler if a 24 year old import could win the award instead

Reply #909456 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Last year

If the NBA had an equivalent to this award, Luka Doncic would not only be able to win it this year, but he'd only miss the cutoff to win it next year by 2 months

Reply #909457 | Report this post

RobT  
Last year

In reality, the ROY can be any age as it stands now. A 40 year-old can win, if it's his 1st season. Highly unlikely, of course, but within the guidelines.

I don't mind opening it up to include imports, DPs and Next Stars in the mix. So long as they are, within say, 2 or 3(max) years as a professional basketball player. When Nick Kyrgios gives up tennis and signs with SEM, should he be denied the ROY just cos he's really old by then?

Might like to see an exemption for recruits from NBL1 and NZNBL, local or import.

Last year, the Breakers, with their 2 young guns, 1 a NS, the other as a full roster signing (both French, from memory). Both could have been in contention.

Personally, I would want it to be an Aussie as there is more chance that an Aussie would be in the NBL longer than most non-Aussies, to see our best "newcomers" develop.

I agree that it is a mistake to change anything at this late stage of this season.

Reply #909458 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I think they should have ROY and the U25 award, they are for the most part covering different groups of players.

Reply #909459 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

They need something to replace this - bring back the Good Hands Award.

Reply #909461 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Silly why change an award midseason. Just keep ROY award with this new 25 year old award.

Reply #909464 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Why does it matter when they change it? It's not like anyone has been targeting the old criteria and suddenly isn't eligible or something.

This change has been bouncing around for a year or two now, anyway, it's not coming as a surprise to anyone.

Reply #909467 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Last year

It matters because it probably means someone like a Sam Froling will now win it, when he's in his 4th year in the league and wouldn't have been close to being eligible a week ago

Reply #909468 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

So? How would anyone's decision-making have differed if this information had been released six months ago?

And again, this has been discussed going back to at least last season. This isn't a surprise to anyone who's actually involved in the league.

Reply #909470 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

No one took the NBL rookie of the year award all that seriously. In any given year, there are only a handful of new players that get any real burn, and usually, the best player is either quite obvious, or there is no one really deserving to win. If you look through history there have been some absolute bums with the award. At least this way, a young player can still be awarded who might otherwise get overlooked in a normal ROY scenario.

Reply #909471 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

No one took the NBL rookie of the year award all that seriously. In any given year, there are only a handful of new players that get any real burn, and usually, the best player is either quite obvious, or there is no one really deserving to win. If you look through history there have been some absolute bums with the award. At least this way, a young player can still be awarded who might otherwise get overlooked in a normal ROY scenario.

Reply #909472 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Three of the past five ROYs have gone on to play in the NBA, the guy two years before that is an Olympic bronze medal winning starter.

Names like Gaze, Heal, Vlahov, Mackinnon, Rillie, Nielsen, Newley, Worthington, Ingles, Jawai, Wagstaff, Kay, Humphries, Ball and Giddey.

It's an award with serious jistory and I don't see any reason to replace it. I think Sam Waardenburg would have been a good winner this year and will go on to a very good career.

Reply #909473 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

They could've kept ROTY and added a "Young Star" award for the best player of any nationality who's 24 or under. Would occasionally be won by the same person, but more often not

Reply #909475 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Agree, LV, and it would have given a bit more publicity and credit to talented young players, esp. from overseas.

Reply #909478 | Report this post

RobT  
Last year

From a player's point-of-view, both awards could be meaningful to the player and the league.

ROTY(as is).
Rookies would all be eligible at start of season and if the players involved have got balls and a chance of a good/great career I am sure that they would bust their arse to be in contention. Helps both the player and the fans(league) gets the benefit of a bunch of young guys doing their best etc.

New Award(?).
For under 24s/25s, could urge young players for 4-5years trying to get the nod. As for same player winning for 2, 3 years so what. Every young sportsperson wants be top-dog, and once there would want to repeat and threepeat. Selfish bastards. Everyone else with any true creds would want to knock off the top-dog. An achievable target for most youngsters to push themselves more.

May I offer Harry as an example. Wins ROTY then fades away.
With all other awards almost certainly going to super stars (at least to veterans/established) the challenge to be considered may be "too far away".

Reply #909482 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I don't mind it ROTY had to be given out every year even if there was no one that really deserved it so a lot of mediocre players won that award. It's a by-product of a league with only about 100 players compared to say the NBA with about 450 players.

At least with opening the award up to guys 24 and under including imports it should make the award a bit more relevant.

Reply #909488 | Report this post

curtley  
Last year

Surely no previous pro experience should be criteria as well.

Reply #909495 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

The issue of previous pro experience being way too complicated was why they made this change in the first place.

Reply #909506 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I doubt that very much. It's not complicated at all, you pick a definition. That's what has been the case for a long time.

Reply #909508 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:50 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754