Isaac
Last year

LeBron James passes 38,000 points

LeBron now has 38,072 NBA points, this week becoming the second player to reach the 38k milestone. He trails Kareem by only 300 odd points while still comfortably putting up numbers. 48/8/9 last game. Averaging 35/10/9 in January, in 38 MPG at age 38.

Short of disaster, he'll get KAJ and then after that, he's going to be hard to catch.

Topic #50797 | Report this topic

hoopie  
Last year

The big milestone that he's probably targeting is 40,000 points.

Reply #909477 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

You're probably right. He could probably get there next season, which doesn't seem out of the question.

Reply #909479 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Been a magnificent representative of basketball, always followed him. Congratulations to him his family and his mothers upbringing. He's just got stay healthy to get the record.

Reply #909480 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

Not a fan of LBJ to be fair.. however he will go down as one of the best to ever do it. To be 38 and still putting up massive numbers is insane.

Reply #909483 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

He was just the second to get to 37k too which doesn't mean as much these days. Kareem and the others above 30k did it when the game was played a much slower pace therefore a lot less possessions so stats in the NBA including points are wildly inflated now, to the point of being virtually meaningless. A 38 yo LeBron is having career high scoring seasons these past two seasons, no one is at their peak at 38 lol

My brother who still follows the NBA told me recently there are seven, seriously seven guys averaging 30 ppg in the NBA this season. 30-35 years ago there would be one and that was Jordan. Which shows how insanely good Jordan was, he would average 40-45 ppg in this version of the NBA.

Reply #909487 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

No one knows what Jordan could do now or what lebron could do in Jordan's time. It’s all summations and opinions. Lebron should just be respected for what he’s accomplished. End of story.

Reply #909490 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Zodiac, despite that, people are generally cautious in suggesting someone will overtake his scoring impact. KD is a more pure scorer and no one is tipping him to get there. Doncic is the favoured, active option, from what I've seen. If they reduce games per season, good luck!

I read the other day that field goal percentages are peaking. I assume FGAs are increasingly polarising towards either threes or at the rim. Also, 3PA is around 35/g per team whereas it was 15ish 20 years ago. The current scoring leader is Doncic who's putting up 8 threes a game. Tatum 9.4 3PA/g, Lillard 10.8/g, etc. Jordan peaked at 3.6 3PA/g, but most seasons were around 1/g!

Is it really that pace is the major issue for individual scoring accolades rather than the three point shot? The big scorers this season are averaging 19-23 FGA/g. Jordan was 22+ FGA for all but his two first seasons (ignoring Washington stint), getting up to 27.8 FGA/g in 86-87. With more threes, it's probably safe to figure he'd get close to 40.

Reply #909492 | Report this post

Tuckya Shirtin  
Last year

Watching teams shoot 3s all game is so boring

Reply #909494 | Report this post

curtley  
Last year

Is there not also the theory that the lack of hand checking/ softer defense in general allows for more one on one plays these days and scoring as well?

Reply #909496 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

Why can't people just agree that LeBron and Jordan are both extraordinary and not compare them all the time.

Reply #909497 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

"Watching teams shoot 3s all game is so boring"

Agree 100% and this is the main reason why I make it about 10 mins through most NBA games. Three point shots that come out of offense are fine, but a large percentage of NBA possessions are a quick push up the court, maybe a single pass, and then a 3 is launched.

Reply #909498 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

He's such a great athlete we are lucky to see this milestone can't wait. Completely agree on the 3 point contest it has become, much prefer the unpredictability of the NBL.

Reply #909500 | Report this post

BigD  
Last year

I have to laugh at the 3pt line contest comment.
You know the NBL has a higher percentage of shots taken from the 3 point line than the NBA. With the NBA at 38.9% across the league, and the NBL over 40% of all shots attempted.

Reply #909503 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

A 38 yo LeBron is having career high scoring seasons these past two seasons, no one is at their peak at 38 lol

My brother who still follows the NBA told me recently there are seven, seriously seven guys averaging 30 ppg in the NBA this season. 30-35 years ago there would be one

Correct and we also need to view his points haul in the contexts of not playing in college and how he load manages himself.

Reply #909531 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Last year

Zodiac, do you realise Kareem played the entire 80s which was almost as high scoring as now, and LeBrons first half of his career was actually the lowest scoring period in the shot clock era?

Reply #909540 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Last year

Lebron won the scoring title in 2008, the Cavs averaged 96ppg.

Lebrons first title was in 2012, Miami averaged 98ppg.

LBJs first title in Cleveland in 2016, the Cavs averaged 104ppg.

Kareems first title was 1972, the Bucks averaged 118ppg.

Then looking through the era as reference, Kareems Lakers in 1980 averaged 115ppg, and in 1985 they averaged 118ppg.

Looking at that, LeBron achieving the all time scoring mark is even more unbelievable.

Reply #909541 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Last year

The Detriot "Bad Boys" defense who won the title in 1989 averaged 106ppg for and 100ppg against.

The Detroit title team with the Wallace's and Co Averaged 90ppg for and 84ppg against.

Lebron has definately played through a much tougher era to score.

Reply #909542 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Incredible effort.

As much as he can be compared to previous eras, Lebron is pretty obviously top 5 all time. at least

And good point above. Lebron's early battles were against the championship Pistons (who were still great even after Wallace left), and Garnett/Pierce/Allen Celtics. And when he made finals he played Pop's Spurs with prime Duncan

2005 NBA finals, 7 game series and one team topped 100 in one game. Someone scored 102

Reply #909546 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Yeah the constant comparing of players across eras is for clicks only as they know people will jump on it every time. Its pointless and completely subjective.

All we can do is enjoy watching great players be great. I was lucky enough to see LeBron play live once in Miami.

Reply #909548 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

"I have to laugh at the 3pt line contest comment.
You know the NBL has a higher percentage of shots taken from the 3 point line than the NBA. With the NBA at 38.9% across the league, and the NBL over 40% of all shots attempted."

This is actually very funny.

Reply #909549 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Not gonna lie - I like the old school ball where they had 2 bigs on the floor, now you can barely play 1, still love the game, just miss the post play...

I think bigs should be relevant in basketball…

I think they should remove the corner 3…

Or atleast experiment with removing it…

Reply #909574 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:04 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754