Gus3232
Last year

RIP Mark Leader

Those old timers amongst us will remember this bloke vividly, especially with that stupidly strong 1989 North Melbourne title team. One of the most versatile players the league has seen and someone you could rely on for 100% effort every week. Just 63, way too young. Another piece of NBL history gone.

Topic #50798 | Report this topic

LoveBroker  
Last year

Very sad, my first year following the NBL was when he, Fisher and Dillon won with the Giants.

Fantastic do it all type of player.

63 is just too young.

Reply #909507 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Tough player. Great leader who was a big part of team success.

Reply #909509 | Report this post

Beagle  
Last year

Yep, sad.
I'm 56. Very sobering news.
Watched that North Melb team at the old old Sports and Entertainment Centre.
Dillon, Fisher, ............... Borner played a couple of seasons?
A coach with charisma and smarts.
Good times.
Sad news

Reply #909510 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Last year

Remember him playing with Brad Pineau (Dane's Dad) with the Devonport Warriors. Classic "friendly" game in Launceston with the Warriors against the Hobart Devils. Danny Adamson (Devil's import) screaming "Leader is weak" to the crowd at every opportunity.

Reply #909516 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Tough player. Great leader who was a big part of team success.

He made winning off-court moves as well, signing with North Melbourne from Geelong before the 1988 season.

Reply #909535 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Absolute legend. He was my coach at one of the summer heat basketball camps in the 90s. Really knew his stuff and how to get the most out of people. Taught me more in that one week than I'd learned off any other coach i ever had. Best of all he was brutally honest about my limitations :)

Reply #909552 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:48 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754