Perth fan
Last year

Wildcats rebuild 2024

As with every offseason will depend on Cotton being an Aussie.
Let's for the sake of argument say he is not in time for next season.

Cotton.....2 more years
Blanchfield 2 more years!
Norton 1 more year
Before going further if there is a way Perth can get rid of these two they should do it.
C Webster has option
T Webster also an option. Probably a package deal, either keep both or neither.

Manek and Thomas... Goodbye
Wagstaff retire and goodbye.
Majok ....Goodbye
Zunic..... Not sure if option or not. Keep as third point guard?
Harris... Worth upgrading IMO.

Now Travers is a free agent... Do Perth keep him?
Let him explore options elsewhere (NBA unlikely, G League, Europe or another NBL team.

Major overhaul required, not as bad as Adelaide but not that good either.

Thoughts....

Topic #50811 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Add

Ducas
Kay

Reply #909998 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Nab big sauce from phoenix if hes available

Reply #909999 | Report this post

djmenow  
Last year

I think Manek has shown enough to warrant another contract if he can improve his defence. If Wagstaff goes at the end of the season as expected, we need a deadly 3 pt shot and he has it. Earlier this season I was shipping him out but I have grown to like him. Plus this is all on the condition if BC gets naturalised.
I like Thomas but he is too short for the C position. We need more bulk in there. More intimidation.
Harris deserves to get promoted.
Majok needs to go.
Blanchfield and Norton are unfortunately contracted.
OHB will no doubt stay rookie listed if he doesnt want to go home.
Zunic needs to get Nortons position.

So

BC
C Webster
Import
Manek
Import

Travers
T Webster
Harris
Zunic
(Unfortunately Blanchfield & Norton)

Reply #910000 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

Beat me to it.

I was thinking the same thing. Kay in for Manek would make them equal title favorites at least. I'd keep Thomas as his best is very good but if big sauce was available that would be even better

Reply #910001 | Report this post

proud  
Last year

I'd be keeping my eyes on Brisbane and their big fellas and try and get Gak or even Harrison to replace Majok.

I still believe in Norton and Blanchfield because what other option do you have than to try and reinstall their confidence by showing confidence in them... at worst they are still handy for 5 fouls.

Nick Kay; yes please

Wagstaff retiring; yes please

Reply #910004 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Webster
Cotton
Import
Kay
Reath

Norton
Webster
Blanchfield/Ducas
Import/Bowen(dp)
Next Star/Hayes-Brown(dp)

Reply #910005 | Report this post

Aussie  
Last year

Weedy Slug do you think Travers will go the G League route? Another NBL team?

Reply #910006 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Aussie, no and no imo

He seems to suit a G-league style of game, but I think he's gone backwards a lot over the season so is unlikely to get a call-up.

As for another team, I think he’s likely to stay because he fits in and is one of the key players already in Perth. I don’t see what he’d gain anywhere else apart from money and the chance to play in a more suitable position, I can’t see him being good enough to be a franchise player anywhere else, and can’t see any other team throwing buckets of moolah his way after the Sixers’ MM experience.

I hope he gets back to the player he was when he was drafted, as I think he has a load of potential and is quite exciting to watch when he’s up and running.

Reply #910007 | Report this post

Aussie  
Last year

Thanks. Weedy Slug usually has good insight, so I was curious to know why he has left him off Perth's team for next season?

Reply #910008 | Report this post

Statman84  
Last year

@proud - if you want Harrison, you can have him.

Gak - nah, I doubt Sam will let him go.

Reply #910009 | Report this post

BigD  
Last year

I think people have too high expectations for what they expected from Travers.
Think about levels of play from recent call ups like Keifer Sykes, Jack White etc.
Travers has performed to a similar standard, Travers was a vital part of how Perth beat Sydney the other night.
He'll get the call up, probably on a 2-way deal, but he’ll be on an NBA court next season.

Reply #910010 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Weedy, Perth cannot have that combo unless they are going to blow past the cap.

No team is going to have 3 imports and 2 Marquee players. Reath won't play for shit money. And have a NS.

Reply #910014 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

Can see the Melbourne teams maybe making a play for Travers, and what was his relationship with Roth like? He wouldn't be showcased in Tassie, but in their short history have been able to improve players, in his case make him the multi dimensional player the NBA would want.
If Hawks are still around, might grab the money and try to become the top option. Depending on cost he actually might fit with Froling and some decent imports.
I think he would avoid Adelaide like the plague even if they made him a big offer.
And could he become a Cooks like player for Kings. Not as good a rebounder etc, but could surround him with shooters and let him play point forward. And would increase profile.

Back to wildcats, Webster's and Cotton are similar and are potent offensively. Manek was probably signed on the assumption an import spot would open up and signing someone else late after overseas cuts. Capable of providing a stretch big, but doesn't fill other glaring needs. Blanchfield, Steindl and Gliddon are really hanging based on previous experience, could nearly interchange any of them. So Blanchfield will stay, but should play a role like Gliddon, only appearing when it's an emergency.

Reply #910016 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

No team is going to have 3 imports and 2 Marquee players.
That's not even legal.

Reply #910021 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

I suggest that 1 or 2 of you may need to Check out LT stats over the last 4 years. Apart from rebounding 5.1 asa against last year 5.4 he is up. Way more of a threat from 3 now making 38.3% up from 25% last season. If he keeps improving and plays Summer league don't think we will see him back here next year.

Reply #910022 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Cotton should be aussie which changes things big time.
That's 2 imports, 1 ns
Big money for Kay and Reath
Could move blanch on, keep travers and rely more on cheaper Ducas.

Reply #910026 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Cotton should be aussie
Zero reason to believe that.

Reply #910027 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-wildcats/prominent-migration-lawyers-criticise-federal-government-as-perth-wildcat-bryce-cotton-waits-for-citizenship-c-9497316

I think he will be aussie between 23 WC and sometime next season.

Reply #910028 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Good article - even the migration experts are frustrated. What an absolute farce.

Reply #910029 | Report this post

Rod Grizzard fan  
Last year

T. Webster/Norton/Zunic
Cotton/C.Webster/Harris(DP)
Import/Blanchfield/Ducas(DP)
Kay/Vague/Bowen(DP)
Import/Brandt

Reply #910032 | Report this post

Username  
Last year

People who make comments like "he WILL be in the league next season..."
Ok Mr Expert.
If Travers he not been drafted, people wouldn't have such high expectations of him. He’s very handy and I hope he is in Perth next year.

@Weedy Slug, how you going to “move on Blanch” ?

Reply #910034 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Would you guys keep Rillie? To me he has been underwhelming.

He has done more to undo Wildcats basketball than ScoMo. I have never seen them get beaten on rebounds so much, Greg Hire would probably lead this team in RPG.

Their defence is just awful, its a lay up drill for the opposition. Their defensive efficiency is 117, thats worse than ADELAIDE, in fact dead last in the league. Daniel Johnson would blush at how bad this defence is.

Get rid of :
- Rillie
- Manek
- Thomas
- Majok

The dilemma here are the Websters, Corey is playing very well and the Wildcats are barely holding onto a play in spot. He ad his brother will only regress from here due to age.

The most sure fix is bringing back Kay and Gleeson but thats very unlikely.

Reply #910045 | Report this post

BigD  
Last year

Worst defense?
Yes.
But they also have the leagues best offense by 3.4 points per 100 possessions.

All things considered, it's safe to say John Rillie is safe. He’s done a great job turning their season around and finding a way to make their roster work.

Reply #910052 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Kay and Vague mentioned here a bit are they out of contract and available for next season?

Reply #910054 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Vague is a bench player at tops, he's earning a lot more than Perth can pay him or would want to, Kay could be a marquee, remembering that Cotton naturalised makes him marquee one, Kay marquee two and then only allows for two imports. I’m not certain the second marquee would be enough for Kay either.

Reply #910057 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Obviously the above is only if you don't want to go over the salary cap to much to avoid the tax. Technically speaking you can pay what ever but pay the tax to the league to make other clubs stronger.

Reply #910058 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Would you guys keep Rillie?

For one thing, we've committed to him for 3 years.

To me he has been underwhelming.

To me he has been fine.

We were told by punters here that Thomas & Manek were dud imports, yet Rillie has managed to turn these duds around and get pretty good production out of them by the business end of the season.
He has done ok with too old, too slow, culture-killing Corey as well.
Why let go of someone who can work these types of miracles?

Reply #910063 | Report this post

djmenow  
Last year

If we can get a big like Mooney who eats rebounds and can shoot from anywhere then we will look so different. I know Mooney wont be back but a player like him.
Rillie has done well making some hard decisions however next season will be the defining season.
Gak for Majok would be a good replacement.
Apart from some suss handles Travers has impressed me this season in his role. Alot more reliable shot. He is not a NBA player yet but his development is going well imo.

Reply #910078 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

It's obviously all about the 5 spot. Get that right and they'll be contenders instantly.

Reply #910081 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Kay to Perth is no guarantee? Tassie with Scott Roth connection will be a legitimate option for him

Reply #910131 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

I like Thomas, does the dirty work, I'd keep Thomas before Manek

Reply #910207 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Reply #910208 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I had to edit the above table manually since Tai Webster's signing hasn't been added to the database yet and Cotton is listed as a Hawks player inverted with Tyler Harvey. The latter is one scary thought.

All credit to Spatial Jam's NBL Contract Tracker.

Reply #910209 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:15 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754