LoveBroker
Last year

ABC : The NBL's history of failure short video.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-28/why-basketball-has-struggled-in-australia/101902624?utm_campaign=abc_news_web&utm_content=link&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

Has anyone seen this video article?

It has a negative title but also shines light on the post LK era where we are hoping the league can expand.

I found it too short to give a flavour of how the league peaked, plateaued, dove and then rebounded. But overall a good video.

I had totally forgotten about Magic Johnson playing for the Cannons.

Topic #50860 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Last year

Half of that address isn't necessary:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-28/why-basketball-has-struggled-in-australia/101902624

Reply #910831 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Reply #910833 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Old mate didn't look to far to find out where the money went in Canberra

Cannons got to play with Magic because Darren Thomas and Mike Chappelle were ex Spartans

Reply #910839 | Report this post

WC95  
Last year

I only skimmed through this video as I've seen and read enough about this in the past. It didn't look all that interesting to me. One day we might get a few more documentaries on different topics on the NBLs history where failed franchices aren't the main story.

Reply #910844 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Dave Thomas

Reply #910845 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

correct Zodiac- not sure where Darren came from

Reply #910851 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I only skimmed through this video as I've seen and read enough about this in the past. It didn't look all that interesting to me. One day we might get a few more documentaries on different topics on the NBLs history where failed franchices aren't the main story.

Correct, it was a very vague overview and nothing new was learned.

Reply #910854 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Its an ode to LK nothing more

2015 teams aren't making money fast forward to now , teams still aren't making money

Reply #910857 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Would interesting to know if Adelaide is making money with this increase of attendance.

Reply #910861 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

It's interesting that they’ve had such a dramatic uptick of attendance.
Is this reflecting post-covid demand or something else? An escalation of free tix?

What is more interesting even, is that they claim to have basically doubled their sponsorship.
No doubt it looks like they’ve had an increase: jersey is full, flinders uni etc added plus having a proper naming rights sponsor is probably significant (Walker). Albeit this is year 2 I think. They haven’t had a proper multi year front of jersey sponsor since...puramilk?
I wonder if that’s doubled from a low base?

Filling seats in a stadium and sponsorship spots begs the question - what’s required to make a profit or break even? Adelaide appear to be maxing out on revenue spots, perhaps all those things will increase in cost?

Reply #910865 | Report this post

curtley  
Last year

I'm surprised LK payed $7mil for the NBL back then. He was basically paying for millions in debt.

Reply #910866 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Last year

Loved the Bearcat "looking at you" references.

Even had the original NBL Tigers in there.

Reply #910868 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Good video I just watched it, man I miss the Cannons.

Could someone make a new thread for this Singapore Slingers article on the Herald Sun plans?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/the-logue-down-crosscourt-edition-latest-nbl-news-and-whispers-ahead-of-the-last-round-of-nbl23/news-story/548376f337897bea50dc9d0f81e05694?amp

Reply #910869 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Let me know guys.

Reply #910884 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Nothing of note, Larry's focus is on another broadcast deal and would like to see Singapore or some sort of Asian presence in the NBL.

Reply #910900 | Report this post

Aussie  
Last year

When Vlahov and Longley bought the Perth Wildcats from Kerry Stokes in 2000, the rumour was Stokes said you can buy the club for $1 and take on all the debt.

Considering Hutchy bout the Wildcats for $8.5 Million, says a lot about how far the NBL has come.

$15 million per season from ESPN and Kayo and some very good crowds lately, just goes to show the NBL has come a VERY long way since LK purchased the league.

It's certainly headed in the right direction.

Does the broadcast rights deal from ESPN and Kayo expire after this season or next season?

Reply #910903 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

After next season - this is year 2 of 3.

These days sports have been working through broadcast contracts quite early which makes things awkward if you switch the rights.

With that said, I imagine NBL will achieve status quo

Reply #910904 | Report this post

curtley  
Last year

Anyone know how much Kai Sotto's games viewership inflate overall average given Phillipines connection and whether Zhou Qi's games were watched much in China?

Reply #910906 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Id suggest based on how many Sotto highlights we are subjected to its quite a bit higher than local numbers.

Reply #910911 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

https://www.codesports.com.au/basketball/nbl/nbl-has-achieved-crowd-and-broadcast-increases-this-season-and-unlike-past-years-the-growth-looks-very-much-sustainable/news-story/a493d8bb8af874135991b3badccf2592

Can anyone bypass the paywall here for me?

Reply #910915 | Report this post

Dr Dre  
Last year

www.archive.ph

enter the URL of article you want to read and bingo your reading it.

Reply #910919 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Agree with the above - Archive Today is another excellent tool to have in your kit.

Reply #910984 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Thanks Dr Dre it works.

Reply #910995 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:09 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754