koberulz
Last year

NBL to Add Next Stars as an Independent Team?

League Explores New Team

Absolutely the dumbest idea anyone involved with the NBL has ever had.

Topic #50901 | Report this topic

BALLER#3  
Last year

Yes I agree. The whole point is so the young players can experience a true pro team and learn from experienced players. This will not work, unless they manage to bring in several lottery picks every single year.

Reply #911649 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

I try to be open minded to new ideas but questions I have include :

- Where would they be based?
- Who would support them?
- Would continued support be sustainable given the wholesale changes every year?
- Is everyone on the team under the NExt Stars remuneration rule?
- Is this in addition to the established teams' NS's or is that scrapped?

Reply #911650 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I shuddered reading that. A developmental side obviously not playing to win as it's main agenda would kill my interest in the NBL for good. This is absolute bullshit.

This is whinging from agents & NBA scouts wanting more control over how NS are played, well fuck off then this is meant to be a legit league about wins & losses first develop a few draft prospects second leave nonsense like this to a developmental league like the G-League.

The fact Loeglier and the NBL are even considering this is bad enough but if they actually bring this NS development team into the comp I'm done with the NBL.

Reply #911651 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I think it was shot down by clubs.

It's a bad idea.

I get why they’d consider it, but it’s a terrible, terrible idea.

Reply #911652 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

You'd also likely see the abolition of the FIBA ruleset, turning the league into an inferior version of the NBA and killing Australian development.

Reply #911653 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Keep it simple stupid.

(Current 10)
Adelaide - Adelaide entertainment centre 11,000+
Brisbane - Nissan arena 5,000 to proposed Brisbane live 12,000+
Cairns - Cairns convention centre 5,000+
Illawarra - WIN Entertainment centre 5,000+
Melbourne - John Cain arena 10,000+
NZ(becomes Auckland) - Spark arena 9,000+
Perth - RAC arena 13,000 +
South East Melbourne - John Cain 10,000 to sbc proposed arena 8,000+
Sydney - Qudos bank arena
Tasmania - Mystate bank arena 5,000+

+ expansion

(Max 10 more)
200kp Wellington(nz2) - TSB arena refurb 6,000 +
480kp Canberra - AIS arena refurb 5,000 +
500kp Newcastle - Newcastle proposed new arena 8,000 +
180kp Townsville - Townsville entertainment centre refurb 5,000 +
1.5mil+p Western Sydney - needWS new arena 8,000 +
320kp Geelong - needGeelong new arena 8,000 +
130kp Darwin - needDarwin new arena 6,000 +
700kp Gold Coast - Gold Coast convention centre refurb 5,000 +
350kp Christchurch(nz3) - needChristchurch new arena 6,000 +
350kp Sunshine Coast - approved Kawana new arena 2026 5,000 +

No thanks
NBL type g league ignite
COE/NBA academy team
Singapore team
Indonesia team
Phillipines team
Korea team
Japan team

Reply #911657 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Last year

That's up there with the idea many years ago about the Boomers being a standlone team in the NBL!

Reply #911658 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Yep, dumb idea. Just the league putting out signals so that others (elite junior world talent) know we're a competition that wants and accepts draft prospects.

Much like the NBL announcing that they’re in the running for LeBron’s kid, when we all know there is zero chance of that happening.

Reply #911662 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

If they base the team out of Asia like the Slingers it isn't a bad idea. They said a team mixed of veterans and Next Stars. But if the team was based in Asia have the best Asian players with strong imports. It could work since Singapore has a 3,000 stadium now plus the Indoor Stadium of 12,000 if more Singaporeans are interested say a top draft pick is in the team like Ball etc.

Reply #911720 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Last year

Considering the NBL relies on engagement in local communities, there's no way such a concept would generate the required commercial revenue to offset the absence of community engagement.

Unless the NBL thinks they can recruit a LaMelo each year, in which case, lol.

At the same time - if the G League Ignite had top tier talent (like this season), would there be merit in that team playing exhibition, mid season games against every NBL club? Would crowds turn up to watch Scoot Henderson, future NBA superstar? I wouldn’t mind that thought.

Reply #911730 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

I think the league sometimes says things as clickbait and to cause debate and discussion and it's working. I dont think anyone with half a brain would actually pursue this idea, and I'd be very very surprised if LK thought it was even vaguely viable.

Reply #911763 | Report this post

curtley  
Last year

If it was best aussies of a certain age from college or CoE or state leagues it might work. Throw in a free university degree if they didnt get one in USA and play them out of canberra like the AIS wnbl team.

Given canberras lack of 'fun factor' players could live and train in melbourne or sydney. Im sure the govt would cough up for this.

Reply #911767 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

We already have this....it's called the COE/NBA Global Academy….and they struggle against the top NBL1 teams.

Reply #911768 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

It would be nice if the NBL launched a youth league but that won't make LK any money.

Reply #911770 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Sounds like g league ignite is coming to the nbl

Reply #911795 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

A youth league on top of nbl1, not happening.

Reply #911796 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:33 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754