Isaac
Last year

2022/23 NBA Trade Deadline

Ultimately, a very entertaining trade season/deadline. Two big-name players join already play-off bound teams, and various other contenders shuffle rosters.

After lots of noise about rebuilding, the Raptors took back Poeltl and otherwise stuck with their key players. I wondered if the talk about trading most of their starters was 4D chess to stymie the market while they went for the incremental upgrade?

Bulls did nothing.

Warriors finally abandoned Wiseman, to effectively bring back GP2.

76ers shifted Thybulle on.

Bucks finally got Crowder.

The expensive dinosaurs in Wall, Westbrook and Gordon all moved.

Clippers were active, adding Gordon, Hyland and Plumlee.

Lakers too, getting Hachimura early and then Mo Bamba, Russell, Beasley and Vanderbilt.

Will be interesting to see how new rosters settle. Phoenix are clearly very strong now. Lakers have re-rolled the dice. Clippers could be anything. Small changes for Toronto and GSW, but enough to help? I don't think the Nets ended up too badly.

Biggest winners and losers?

Topic #50906 | Report this topic

Cram  
Last year

I think Lakers did as well as they possibly could. Effectively got rid of Westbrook, which was always seen as something they'd need to move a pick to do, and managed to get back three rotation players who all fit key needs.

Suns are the biggest gamble, but easily have the best top 4 in the league and they have 4-5 guys who will fight to be that fifth guy. Craig should be in the box seat considering his defensive abilities.

I'm happy my Raptors didnt blow it up or give up too much future capital to be slightly better now. Still not sure what they're doing though.

Reply #911784 | Report this post

curtley  
Last year

Wall's assesment of his previous stint at Houston indicates he wont be happy about going back to a team still hell bent on losing.

Also isnt Westbrook likely to be bought out and sign somewhere else anyway?

Reply #911792 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Yeah some talk around Westbrook to either Clippers or Heat. Both are getting nothing from the PG spot at the moment. There was some chatter about Chicago too, but I can't see how he'd fit with two ball dominant guys already.

for the first time in a few years Russ has a chance to be actually valuable coming in somewhere as a cheap option.

Reply #911793 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Free Patty!

Reply #911794 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Easy for me to say but I thought Patty made a bit of a mistake last off-season re-signing with the Nets. The talk was Charlotte offered something like 3yr/20M and re-signed with the Nets instead for around 2yr/14M.

I get he's made plenty of money already and supposedly his wife started a business in Brooklyn and both of them really like it there but he could always be traded at any moment anyway and the Nets were more likely to combust than contend.

I've heard not that I know first hand that Patty has really dropped off this season so you would think unlikely he would get another contract in 24-25 and even if so unlikely for $6 million.

Reply #911800 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Going by boxscores, Patty has had a few games coming in as a wildcard and providing points, but after today consensus seems to be that he shouldn't be getting on court with the Nets. Maybe he adds a year at a reduced rate and at least has two local teams to pick from if his wife wants to stay put.

What are the Bulls doing? No one worth trading who they wouldn't also want to keep?

Reply #911805 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Yeah it definitely feels like staying at Brooklyn was more about off court stuff than on, and you can't really blame him for that.

His per 36 numbers are actually not really any worse than last season and in some areas actually up. He's just not had as many opportunities with the Nets having so many more options this season.

I think at this point in his career he's probably a situational/deep rotation player, its just a shame he's no longer doing that on a contender.

Reply #911807 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

IMO patty's a victim of the Brooklyn situation, he’s just not getting minutes buried behind other guys.

A contender should have put some contracts and a couple 2nd rounders to get him, he’d be great on the lakers, bucks, suns, cavs, Mavs and many others.

I still think he’s good for 15 minutes of instant offense and every team needs more shooting...

Reply #911833 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last year

When Jacque Vaughn took over, he immediately cut the minutes of Patty Mills and Seth Curry in favour of players he regarded as better defenders, so Patty was getting a lot less minutes even before the trades.
Also interestingly
when asked in a recent presser about Ben Simmons foul problems, he said it was because Ben is reaching too much on defence, and not always using his feet to get into position. So Ben is now also losing minutes because of his defence.

Reply #911843 | Report this post

Cake  
Last year

It's not hard to see the 2027 and 2029 picks, and the 2028 pick swap, having great value for Brooklyn. Lebron can make it seem reasonable to expect players to be productive at 36, 37 years old, but it's a rare player who remains in the NBA's upper echelon at that age. Odds are that by 2027, Durant will no longer be a factor in Phoenix. Paul definitely won't be. And yes, Booker and Ayton are good, but they're by no means enough to guarantee a top-4 seed in the West.

As for Patty's situation, I won't complain if his reduced minutes make it easier for him to be FIBA Patty for the WC and Olympics. And if the off-court stuff was the primary motivation for staying in Brooklyn, he's probably just happy that the drama should decrease now.

Reply #911844 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Max contract, Simmons now playing off the bench.

Reply #911921 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

This may be the worst trade in Arizona sports history, and that's a very high bar
Via a journo in Arizona. Says that play-off runs are endurance tests that you tackle with "defense and depth". They've persisted/created a frontloaded team and mortgaged the future.
"The Suns now have neither. They may remedy that in the free market, but why are we to believe that Durant, Devin Booker and Chris Paul (not even the same Chris Paul he was two years ago) will fare better than Durant and Kyrie Irving and James Harden?"

Hard to argue against gunning now. Worked for the Raptors. Worked for the Lakers, briefly.

Reply #912066 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

I think it can work. Durant has shown he is able to play with other superstars. Booker did similar with CP3 on their finals run. CP3 himself has clearly taken a step back and i think will be fine as a set up man who has to be respected in the clutch.

Ayton is the one that could be an issue. He was already upset with his role by all accounts, and will surely get virtually no service now with KD on board.

The rest of their team just needs to be decent to good defenders who can hit a shot from outside. Picking up T Ross helps that. Craig will probably start. They've got a few others there who can be effective enough in that role too.

If healthy, they're a real shot.

Reply #912076 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:03 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754